• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
A lot more at the link: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Me...moto-wants-to-make-Mario-the-new-Mickey-Mouse

Miyamoto's approach to making games:
...Miyamoto sought to create entertainment that transcended borders. It required a somewhat vanilla approach, but would free him from the creative bother of having to tailor his work to different cultural norms. He also wanted to avoid any religious elements so his creations could be accepted universally.

Miyamoto says his underlying objective in product development is to create "games that are fun even for bystanders." This means making games complex and fascinating. Miyamoto wants to entice casual observers into actually wanting to join in.

The change in Miyamoto's creative direction:
Miyamoto says his creative direction has been changing. For many years, he tried to maintain a certain consistency with Mario. While this has given the character an air of familiarity, it has cramped Miyamoto's style. For example, if Mario is known to like certain foods, the character cannot suddenly develop a distaste for them in subsequent episodes.

This has inspired Miyamoto to avoid casting Mario too rigidly, giving him freedom to explore different character scenarios. "I've become more interested in creating greater opportunities for a larger audience to enjoy" the Mario world, Miyamoto says.

The obstacles to challenging Disney:
"Many parents want to keep their children from playing video games," Miyamoto said. "But these same parents have no problem allowing them to watch Disney movies." This contradiction bothers Miyamoto and could thwart his plans to topple Mickey. "We cannot seriously challenge [Disney] unless parents start feeling comfortable about their children playing Nintendo."

A long way to go:
Miyamoto feels his character can just about hold its own against Disney's fabled mouse as regards cultural impact and financial success. But he still thinks he has a long way to go before Mario becomes as thoroughly ingrained in the global psyche as Mickey, a journey that may take generations.

In the meantime, the creator continues to do what he does best. "I intend to keep trying to create something new that brings smiles to people around the world without focusing too much on what we have already created," he said.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
source.gif

Mario is pretty big but, please.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if anything could challenge Mickey...

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure more little kids know who Mario is than Mikey Mouse now a days tbh. But yeah Nintendo has a ways to go before its challenges Disney. They'd have to merge with Studio Ghibli and go from there.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
A fat mustachioed plumber just isn't as cute as a mouse, though.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They already have. Especially when it comes to video games.

They just need to get shadier in the other things they conquer.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure more little kids know who Mario is than Mikey Mouse now a days tbh.
was gonna say this but then i started thinking. so many younger kids get introduced to disney at a very young age and get to know mickey even if it's only in merch. i will say that younger kids probably like mario much more.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk why i have the impression that disney will buy nintendo one day

(disclaimer: this is not an attack against nintendo, or nintendoomed)

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Mickey Mouse (Steamboat Willy) is the progenitor of all mascot characters.
It was known by practically everyone around the word for several decades before Mario appeared in the 1980s.

That said, there's room for both to be incredibly symbolic.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue that these days pikachu is bigger than mario. They need to have department or create a company that market their characters the same way that TPC does it. The way TPC operates is amazing

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Wait are we pretending Mario isn't huge already?

But yea It's been a long time since Mario has had any type of spotlight on TV/Movies. Definitely a missed opportunity there just stopping in the 90s.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
The only way to get that big and pervasive is through Disney though, unless your Pokemon. I'm sorry, but the Illumination Mario movie ain't gonna move the needle much

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Likewise, I'd like to see Mickey back in the gaming scene (outside Kingdom Hearts), particularly in the platforming genre.. I loved both Epic Mickey games, and the premise of their existence were being games to rival Mario.

It's been a while since a big budget Mickey game.. last one was Castle of Illusion and that was a remake...

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who think Mario is or will ever be as big as Mickey Mouse is out of their minds.

Kids know who Mickey Mouse is when they're in diapers. There's essentially not much time in life at all that we as Americans(can't speak for everywhere) dont know who Mickey Mouse is. Nothing is touching that.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
But Disney seems to allow their IP to be used for whatever as long as they get paid. Low quality pyramid scheme clothing have Mickey patterns. Hope they don't go that far to spread the IP.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Mickey Mouse doesn't even wear a shirt yet we let him near our children. I'm on #TeamMario

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
If I've learned anything from DBZ it's when you need to beat a stronger opponent you do a little fusion dance with 2 weaker people to make them 1 stronger person.

Mario and Pikachu, it's time to put on your earrings. The world is ready Markachu.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of insane how popular Mickey Mouse is supposed to be even though he hasn't been in anything relevant in forever. He's just known for toys and Disneyland.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Get the two to fight in a Kingdom Hearts game. Kingdom Hearts was, after all, inspired by Nomura's love for Mario 64:

skdYqqf.jpg

The reason Kingdom Hearts has Disney in it is because it was the only thing they could think of on the same level as Mario.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how someone can think that.

Pokemon games sell more, it has a huge merchandise (much more than Mario), a huge anime, TCG... and it's the biggest franchise in the world.
Pokemon games sell more? I'm pretty sure Mario's biggest games hit higher numbers than Pokemon, save for maybe Gen 1. Pokemon definitely has more merchandise and media, that much can't be denied, but the name Mario is known even by people who don't play video games

Mar 9, 2018
Miyamoto says his creative direction has been changing. For many years, he tried to maintain a certain consistency with Mario. While this has given the character an air of familiarity, it has cramped Miyamoto's style. For example, if Mario is known to like certain foods, the character cannot suddenly develop a distaste for them in subsequent episodes.

This has inspired Miyamoto to avoid casting Mario too rigidly, giving him freedom to explore different character scenarios. "I've become more interested in creating greater opportunities for a larger audience to enjoy" the Mario world, Miyamoto says.

Does this mean the era of Toad-filled Mario RPG games has come to an end?
tumblr_mqp3n3dhN31rrftcdo1_500.gifv

Those are happy tears.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Pikachu probably has a way better chance. The thing is nobody could touch it now that I think about it more, show your oldest living relatives Mickey and they more than likely can name him show your oldest living relative Mario, Pikachu, or Hello Kitty and there's much less of a chance.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Miyamoto is doing everything in his power to make sure the animated Mario movie is good.
I am not optimistic about the studio they went with.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Pokemon games sell more? I'm pretty sure Mario's biggest games hit higher numbers than Pokemon, save for maybe Gen 1. Pokemon definitely has more merchandise and media, that much can't be denied, but the name Mario is known even by people who don't play video games

People that don't play games are familiar with Gen 1, see Pokemon Go fever.

But I'm derailing the thread

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I really hope Miyamoto is doing everything in his power to make sure the animated Mario movie is good.
I am not optimistic about the studio they went with.

If anything, they're a safer choice than Sony Pictures Animation, who was initially rumored. Illumination's films are bland, but there's hardly anything offensive about them. Sony on the other hand made The Emoji Movie... I think that about says it all.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I could swear I read a poll like a decade ago that found Mario was more recognizable by young kids than Mickey.

I'm guessing the comments about parents not wanting their kids playing games is more Japan-centric? Seems like a weird opinion, games are huge.