• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered how they would make it "Nintendo-esque." Guess there's the answer.

rewkol

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly completely forgot this existed. Would have been interesting to see what it actually was though.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I always thought it was Nintendo-esque given how bizarre the concept was. Seemed like the sort of fun, out there project they like to make sometimes.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the devices we're probably the equivalent to Smart Watches that keep track of your health and activity.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I had completely forgotten about this lmao, wonder if they'll ever release details on it. Likely not since it's dead now and I'd bet it has been for some time.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed QoL was a Vaporware-smokescreen Iwata set up to calm investors down until Switch landed. They probably were never serious about it.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It was "3rd pillar"-esque of Nintendo setting up a backup plan in case the video game market went to shit for them. The second they started to have more successes, they didn't need it anymore.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Shocker. It honestly just felt like a deflection when their main business wasn't doing too hot. Doubt they ever had anything too substantial for it.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Nintendo wants to be Apple so bad and I love it. My dream would be them becoming the same company even tho I hate monopoly's

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Well, hopefully the 10-years R&D effort can be put into Switch, future Nintendo consoles, and future QoL projects (if any).

At least, we can finally nail the coffin and say, yes, the QoL project is no longer vaporware, but it's officially cancelled.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I knew nothing would ever come of it. What, was Nintendo gonna release some stupid alarm clock or something? Not surprised at all.
I mean who wants that anyway, what was the point? Waste of resources.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was originally made because Nintendo needed to diversify because of the Wii U. They don't need to do that anymore.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I always wondered how they would make it "Nintendo-esque." Guess there's the answer.
I wondered the same thing.

Having a sleep monitor, for instance means all the tracking is done while you are sleeping and that means the interactivity Nintendo usually has with other products like Wii Fit, for instance, just won't be there. I have to think the Vitality Sensor had the same issue, at least for it's main purpose, because that at least seemed like maybe they could have additional gaming functionality, like the Wii balance board, but just like that device, I don't think the added ability is enough to make it marketable when it's leaning on the gaming market to do something they need to appeal to a completely different market that may not care about gaming.

I've always thought Nintendo is good at gamifying tasks and making enjoyable interfaces for even mundane sorts of tasks, so them attempting to expand into a QoL area seemed like a place they could be successful at. At the same time, it seems to be an area that was competitive already and would require more specialization that Nintendo didn't have and probably more than they were interested in developing to stay competitive in that market.

At the very least, I'm curious what their idea for "non-wearable devices" was, especially since it sounded like the Switch was built with ideas for compatibility with these plans.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
from a strictly business perspective i thought it was a neat idea. nintendo wasn't even a video game company for half its life so who's to say they had no future in other markets

but it wasn't meant to be when all's said and done, so whatever

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty clear this initiative wouldn't survive Iwata's untimely passing, but I was actually very much in the market for a Nintendo-made sleep therapy device and I'm sorry to see it go.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I always assumed QoL was a Vaporware-smokescreen Iwata set up to calm investors down until Switch landed. They probably were never serious about it.
You generally don't lie to investors. If there was a whiff that anything about the project was fabricated to bolster stock prices, there would be lawsuits.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
A bit sad. Iwata seemed pretty hopeful about it, and it would've been interesting to see Nintendo branch out like this.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I think I'll never understand what the Quality of Life is or was. I mean, I know what is a QoL feature, but how people would make a project with it?

I mean, it's something related with healthy? In a videogame? Hard to say what it was.