• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
https://gearnuke.com/nintendo-planning-launching-smaller-cheaper-switch-end-of-fy2019-rumor/
Nintendo is apparently planning on introducing a smaller, cheaper Switch by the end of the 2019 Financial Year.

Although Nintendo had a very strong year, they didn't end on as strong of a note that they were expecting. The Japanese gaming giant was forced to reduced their yearly expected sales down to 17 million at the earnings release for the period between April 2018 and March 2019. They were previously hoping for 20 million units between the same time-frame.

Do note Nintendo CEO Shuntaro Furukawa mentioned late last year that their initial internal goal of 20 million was certainly "not easy".

To combat this Japanese publication Nikkei reports that Nintendo will be bringing a cheaper, smaller Switch variant to the market sometime in the 2019 Financial Year (April 2019 to March 2020). The report mentions this variant of the Switch will be more "portable" and "easy to carry around", probably something to replace the 3DS? Or maybe a Switch that's fully portable without the docking ability?
It was also mentioned that this Switch will come at a cheaper price, something the shareholders have been requesting for a while. This will however have to be done without compromising on functionality.
"The company said that 'couldn't comment' on their plans for the product, but has informed multiple suppliers and game development companies that they intend to release them as early as 2019. According to their affiliates, they are 'miniaturizing the console with portability and playing outdoors in mind, as well as cutting features to reduce the price and expand the userbase."

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumo...-nintendo-planning-new-service-for-this-year/

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
There is your "3DS successor" - just in time for Gen 8 and Animal Crossing.

Switch Pro will be a 2020 release, probably launching with a BotW successor.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So no Pro version?

Good.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
Switch mini or lite... I think it would still be docked, but without detachable joycons (dock not included in the package)

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well, it's ok. It will find it's market.
They'll likely make it more resistant for children. But I wonder how ergonomical it will be.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It will be interesting to see how they go about making a smaller/cheaper model while still keeping the performance to run current and future games.

The hardware is quite tightly packed into the tablet.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I think this was pretty much inevitable, especially for Japan. Along with Pokemon and AC, it's going to help immensely there.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I've always said, a Switch Lite makes more sense before a Switch Pro.

It is the same as they did One and PS4 and 3DS XL was also earlier than New 3DS. The triple dip possibilities are triggered in that order.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
There is your "3DS successor" - just in time for Gen 8 and Animal Crossing.

Switch Pro will be a 2020 release, probably launching with a BotW successor.
That makes all the sense in the world, and it would please both crowds.
(I would absolutely buy a Switch Pro for a BotW successor, for instance.)

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bring it on. I'd rather have a smaller and more portable Switch as opposed to one the same size but more powerful.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A smaller one would be extremely nice if they dedicate themselves to reducing the bezel size! I'd consider upgrading to one if so!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So no JoyCons or smaller JoyCons?

I'm guessing the latter.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
A "Switch that's fully portable without the docking ability" is no longer a Switch, that doesn't make any sense given the name and marketing. Besides, aren't games that are only playable docked?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If it is smaller, I hope they do something to make text legible on the smaller display.

It's already difficult to read in some games on the existing display. Can't inagine it getting any smaller.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A $200 mini Switch will probably start a DS Lite style boom in sales.

I think it would be silly to make something unable to dock, since all that you need to dock is a USB port.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I was figuring this to be the case...the fact that even Patcher could predict it shows how much of a no brainer it was. Yet you still had people saying "2DS doesnt mean they'd take away the switch functions of the switch!"

I mean, is it really so hard to believe?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
TtdnbCQGpyANLSLG2vBSJKDk-Vg=.gif

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If it's cheaper I might finally get one. I hope it has a 5 inch screen.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I woould guess something like a $199 Switch, smaller screen, no detachable Joycons, can be docked. It will probably be released a month or so before Gen 8 is released.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Bring it on. I'd rather have a smaller and more portable Switch as opposed to one the same size but more powerful.
I'm of the opposite opinion. With next-gen on the horizon, the Switch is gonna need an option with more horsepower if it doesn't want to be left further behind than it already is regarding third party ports. The Switch is already missing out on games like RDR2, RE2 Remake, & DMC5. It's only gonna get worse in the coming years.

With that said, a smaller & cheaper Switch is a smart move, especially with Pokémon Gen 8 coming later this year.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a Switchless Switch or one with no compatibility to excisting hardware.
Sound horrible to me.

Just make a revision with a smaller screen frame, smaller fabricated chip, more batterlylife and
no dock.

And don't start to compare a feature like Switch between TV and playing handheld, something that people actually use to such a gimmick like 3D, that was useless in 99% of the case

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So no JoyCons or smaller JoyCons?

I'm guessing the latter.

Personally I would go with none built in, to further drive down the price due to no need for multiple batteries and gyros. It would of course be able to sync with Joycons.

Nintendo might go with smaller ones.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I would buy a smaller Switch, maybe with increased internal storage

Deleted member 59

My bet is a somewhat smaller switch, no removable joycons, hdmi out to plug into TV (but limited to 720p handheld out put).

Mantains "switch" nature.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I was originally on the Pro train but the more I think about it, the more I realize that Lite is the route to go this year.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
handheld only no joycon switch in Vita form factor would be amazing.

if they can fix the dpad and sticks while they are at it I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This option always made the most sense. Nintendo can't depend on the 3DS for forever, and it'd be silly to do a direct successor. There are a number of things they could do to make a smaller and cheaper Switch model alongside the normal unit.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
A portable only Switch seems like a total contradiction if the whole point of the system.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Interested to find out how they'll go about shrinking the thing down while simultaneously making it cheaper and not compromising battery life.