• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
E3 Direct will be great fun! A cheaper hardware model accompanied by Metroid Prime Trilogy!

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Wait, can somebody clear me up please?

Is there a Pro Version (like a PS4 Pro to the PS4) coming alongside the cheaper one (like the Xbox One S to the Xbox One X) THIS fall?

Additionally a real new generation (like the PS5 is) starts development soon? --> Hard to believe this, Nintendo must have started since 2017 right after the Switch, this is the normal case....
Nobody knows yet. All just speculation so far.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting info. I think they will release a new model with a big game and I think that could be Animal Crossing in September or Mario Maker in June.

Disappointed about the pro model coming later though, although I'm confused about what they mean when they say next gen Switch. The leaks were from part suppliers and developers so I'd imagine a pro version being already far along so maybe they're talking about a Switch 2 that could launch next to PS5.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
What's the catch with the inexpensive model if you can indeed dock it? There's always a catch.

Doesn't come with a dock and the JoyCons aren't removable, so you'd have to buy a dock and controller separate in order to use it.

Makes it cheaper to sell and more of a stand alone portable, but for people that already have a switch and dock it makes a good 2nd switch for a younger member of the family.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
It didn't really, not the fixed translation at least? It just omitted the Pro model, so the Pro rumors could still be real too. So we could have

1. Switch Portable
2. Switch Pro
3. Next-gen SW successor

It's strange to omit the Pro if it exists, that's true. But it would also be strange if the Pro hardware edition was actually a next-gen system.

From the Gematsu article.

That absolutely sounds like a next-gen platform, not just a hardware iteration.

Very interesting. If we're talking about a Next Gen Switch that would be insane !

A Next Gen Switch ? That would be a bold and bizarre move from Nintendo. That's way too early. How could they introduce a new Switch 3 years only after the Switch release ? That's unheard of ! Even the DS came 4 years after the GBA.

I think the maximum we could get is "Switch X" and not a Switch Pro. The Xbox One X is 4 times more powerful than the original Xbox One. Could Nintendo go for something that agressive ? Not sure.

Or maybe Nintendo would make such a move in order to avoid missing out on the 3rd party support. Clearly, 3rd party support will decrease because of the huge gap between the Switch and the next gen consoles. Are they trying to address that with earlier than expect Next Gen system ?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Very interesting. If we're talking about a Next Gen Switch that would be insane !

A Next Gen Switch ? That would be a bold and bizarre move from Nintendo. That's way too early. How could they introduce a new Switch 3 years only after the Switch release ? That's unheard of ! Even the DS came 4 years after the GBA.

I think the maximum we could get is "Switch X" and not a Switch Pro. The Xbox One X is 4 times more powerful than the original Xbox One. Could Nintendo go for something that agressive ? Not sure.

Or maybe Nintendo would make such a move in order to avoid missing out on the 3rd party support. Clearly, 3rd party support will decrease because of the huge gap between the Switch and the next gen consoles. Are they trying to address that with earlier than expect Next Gen system ?

This could have been the original plan for the "Switch hardware family" all along. We won't know for sure until it actually happens, and plans can change of course.

But at the same time there's no reason to think next-gen Switch would be arriving in 2020 even with this rumor. It sounds like it's still in the very early planning phase, and it's going to take at least 2 years to get it out there. So early 2021 might be possible, just slightly after PS5 and Xbox 4. But late 2021 would be more likely, or even early 2022 (five years after OG SW launch).

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019

They mention in the report that a next gen modelo would enter development. It takes years to release the product after starting development. So, they won't release a Switch 2 only three years after the original Switch.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
"Next-gen" in the sense that it'll be the beginning of their modern VR platform. As the other console players widen the power gap, and Nintendo's commitment to the mobile concept of Switch keeps them from realistically competing on that front, I think the time is right for Nintendo to make an "Oculus Quest" play and try to mainstream a VR console.

I assume the device will still run off a Tegra, play Switch games and output video to a TV through USB-C.

A slight fragmentation of their efforts like what they've done in the past with console + handheld devices being on the market at the same time. The difference now: due to their mobile architecture, their "premium/avid gamer" device will have the lifeline of full software compatibility with their strongest pillar. Thrifty consumers had to decide between a 3DS or a WiiU. With an option like this, you wouldn't really have to. Also, support for the new platform could frequently come with mere adaptations and add-ons to current games that allow support for the premium device.

I dunno, I'm likely way off base, but I'm a sucker for the idea of a Nintendo VR platform and I think this is a more interesting play than setting the precedent that you're never more than 2ish years away from Nintendo making the precise device they're currently selling obsolete.

Oct 25, 2017
I do think the proper reading would be that it's mentioning a real next gen switch and not a pro, but that it's early in development.
It's not really news, outside of Nikkei suggesting that Nintendo has at least one console generation planned after the Switch is done.
Being so early as to not have a lead should indicate that it's not out for several years. The next console usually starts development shortly after the latest arrives. Sony themselves mentioned this, this week:

In addition, Sony president Kenichiro Yoshida had also previously confirmed the company is working on a next-generation console in an interview with the Financial Times. It's been four years in the making already.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Switch Pro 2019 dream is not dead

We can just hope

As for next gen, I thought that would be in development for some time already? 2 years seems a long time to wait to start on successor.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

We can just hope

As for next gen, I thought that would be in development for some time already? 2 years seems a long time to wait to start on successor.

Depends on what you count as development, and how accurate this rumor is. But it would be the same time frame Sony used, starting PS5 development at some level in 2015.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
We sre nearing the Wii U and Wii's 4 years Nintendo is preparing that next gen console seems like its gonna have console lifecycles instead of some handhelds

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

We can just hope

They should have started planning early, but they also need time to 'wait' for mobile tech to evolve and decide what is appropiate for their next system i can't see how else could the process be done. Sony made some late decisions on PS4 before release.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that there will be much of an issue with Nintendo releasing a "pro" Switch with a much larger jump in power than they're used to, as long as they mandate that internally developed games be playable on the original Switch. Any third party games that can't run on the original Switch and would thus be Switch Pro exclusives are a bonus anyway, since its not like they ever would have come out otherwise. Third parties are definitely still incentivized to get their games running on the Launch Switch due to the 40+ million of them out there by the time this hypothetical Pro launches.

I don't think it would be too reasonable for Launch Switch owners to be upset with Switch Pro Exclusive Witcher 3 or Red Dead 2 (for example) if they can still play all new Nintendo games, virtually all new indie games, and many third party games. This is mitigated even moreso if the rumors of big streaming moves are true, as Launch Switch owners would be able to take advantage of these third party games that way. Any sour grapes from Launch Switch owners would probably be well offset by people who would pick up the Pro in order to get these exclusive games and significantly higher fidelity from current and future Nintendo games.

Last edited:

logash

Oct 27, 2017
If this is dockable and they are not releasing a new base model I will buy this and a dock (if the new dock is sold separately). I don't mind losing the joy cons cause I don't use them and I will probably have a pair just in case anyway (I'm sure joy cons will still connect to this new smaller switch remotely). I kind of like the idea of having a more portable switch that doesn't lose any power.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, can somebody clear me up please?

Is there a Pro Version (like a PS4 Pro to the PS4) coming alongside the cheaper one (like the Xbox One S to the Xbox One X) THIS fall?

Additionally a real new generation (like the PS5 is) starts development soon? --> Hard to believe this, Nintendo must have started since 2017 right after the Switch, this is the normal case....

I wouldn't take Nikkei's word seriously, this is not the first time they confused us. Their information doesn't come directly from insiders. Mochi/WSJ are more reliable, let's take their word as the rumor for now. Switch Mini + Switch Pro. Switch 2 should still be years away.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
What I linked showed mobile chipsets(in 2017) with 2+ X the overall power of the Switch.

Also "supposedly" Apple has a 5 TF mobile chip.

2x the overall power of Switch is still several orders of magnitude from 3+ TF.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that there is a 5TF mobile chip that is anywhere close to being ready in a consumer product.

3+ TF in a mobile chipset seems extremely unrealistic currently. Especially in the form factor, battery life, and price point Nintendo would be aiming for.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Why these 3? Crytek and CD project red didn't even released something on switch thus far.

The answer is for who would risk making a product that excludes an existing base not who has released a game on a platform.

CDPR unlike most companies can take that risk because their products are simply that popular. Rockstar could do it as well but they seem to have gotten a bit more conservative in their risk taking as of late.

Crytek is the type of company that shouldn't do it but the occasionally will primarily due to tech related reasons.

Out of the Japanese companies only Square seems like they even have the capability of even considering it but I don't think they would which is why I emphasized them less than the other devs.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
No they don't but only cdproject, crytek and maybe Square enix would risk that decision.

No 3rd party is going to do it unless Nintendo would pay them for the whole thing. This idea that 3rd parties would support a specific Switch model while forsaking +40 Million install base is ridiculous.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
No 3rd party is going to do it unless Nintendo would pay them for the whole thing. This idea that 3rd parties would support a specific Switch model while forsaking +40 Million install base is ridiculous.

I guess then Doom for the 32X excluding the install base of the Genesis didn't happen as well as a few other 32X exclusive games.

Oh wait the 32X is decades old. [sarcastically] No "modern" developer would risk that.

Gee golly well look at this Minecraft is exclusive to new3DS excluding the existing old 3DS install base.

How ridiculous of "Microsoft" to not find a way to get Minecraft on a platform when they support so many already. [/sarcasm]

In case you didn't figure it out MS while they didn't make games for consoles back during the 32 bit era still had some type of presence in the PC space with their flight simulators. Even a company with that much experience under their belt still took the risk because they have Minecraft which will sell very well inspite of excluding an existing install base.

That's the reason you ignore existing install bases.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, fancy that...it could be possible for the mini version to be docked (albeit not with the current one). I wonder if, this comes to fruition, whether it'll placate the naysayers who think a mini version couldn't possibly 'Switch'.

GIVE ME THE MINI.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'll be waiting for the higher powered one. I know why the mini one will do well too. I'll be sticking with the Switch moving forward through its iteration for dat portability and higher power/more consistent resolution is just unf. Hope the mini one is sturdy!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, well this definitely saves me money this year if true. I have no need or desire for a smaller Switch. I'll probably pick up a more advanced one though, whenever that hits.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I guess then Doom for the 32X excluding the install base of the Genesis didn't happen as well as a few other 32X exclusive games.

Oh wait the 32X is decades old. [sarcastically] No "modern" developer would risk that.

Gee golly well look at this Minecraft is exclusive to new3DS excluding the existing old 3DS install base.

How ridiculous of "Microsoft" to not find a way to get Minecraft on a platform when they support so many already. [/sarcasm]

In case you didn't figure it out MS while they didn't make games for consoles back during the 32 bit era still had some type of presence in the PC space with their flight simulators. Even a company with that much experience under their belt still took the risk because they have Minecraft which will sell very well inspite of excluding an existing install base.

That's the reason you ignore existing install bases.

AAA is too risky for those 3rd party to potentially waste money on small part of user base, there is nothing to gain from such ports, money would be better spent on games that can run on all models. There is a big difference between CD project and Minecraft.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It depends on spec bump and revision uptake but if 3rd parties are faced with the choice of a viable Pro only port or no port, I tend to think they'll choose the former. If at all possible they'll want to be able to scale down to OG/mini Switch too but we already know it's not always possible even with games that publishers WANT on Switch (FFXV, ACO, Rage 2, etc).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
It depends on spec bump and revision uptake but if 3rd parties are faced with the choice of a viable Pro only port or no port, I tend to think they'll choose the former. If at all possible they'll want to be able to scale down to OG/mini Switch too but we already know it's not always possible even with games that publishers WANT on Switch (FFXV, ACO, Rage 2, etc).
Nintendo will release the Switch 2 for those games

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
AAA is too risky for those 3rd party to potentially waste money on small part of user base, there is nothing to gain from such ports, money would be better spent on games that can run on all models. There is a big difference between CD project and Minecraft.

The differences that exist between a game like Minecraft and CD Project library in total aren't relevant enough. What matters are returns on investment and CD Project with their cheaper AAA quality workforce and multi-million selling consistency can make that calculus that they have enough star power to sell that well. So your assertion that it was ridiculous in the first place is false.

I'm not even asserting many devs would actually do this. Only the best of the best would remotely consider this and that's a very tiny pool of devs.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'll get the smaller model, but only if it has a traditional Dpad. It would make sense if you can't detach the joycons. If they don't do that then I'll just wait to see what the better version has to offer.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think

384 gigaflop undocked
1 TFLOP docked
6-8GB RAM

For a Switch Pro in spring 2020 would be the best way to go forward.

They can maintain compatibility with older Switch models this way. For "Pro" Switch titles, Nintendo can simply recommend original Switch owners purchase a cheap battery pack (and stand?) ... they can make an official version to streamline the process and allow the original Switch to run at full clock undocked like hackers are already doing.

This would open the door to a good number of PS4/XB1 ports that the Switch could have immediately, retain compatibility with old models and increase performance and stability of current Switch games.

For more intensive PS4/XB1 ports, the goal could be 540-600p undocked (30 fps) with 900p-1080p docked (60 fps). "Regular scope" Switch titles could be any easy to manage 720p 60 fps undocked, 1080p 60 fps docked.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
This could have been the original plan for the "Switch hardware family" all along. We won't know for sure until it actually happens, and plans can change of course.

But at the same time there's no reason to think next-gen Switch would be arriving in 2020 even with this rumor. It sounds like it's still in the very early planning phase, and it's going to take at least 2 years to get it out there. So early 2021 might be possible, just slightly after PS5 and Xbox 4. But late 2021 would be more likely, or even early 2022 (five years after OG SW launch).

That's a fair point.

I'm wondering in what direction Nintendo will go with the Switch 2. Is the plan to get the same level of gap next gen as we have between the Switch and the PS4/Xbox One ? If it's the case, what can they realistically achieve from a specs standpoint in 2021/2022 ?

I mean Sony and Microsoft are going big with 12TF+ systems. Can we REALLY expect a 4 TF Switch 2 in 2021/2022 at 300$ ?

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Veeery curious as to the price of the handheld-only model. I was always skeptical they would go this route because I couldn't see what parts of the hardware they could strip down to get more than $50 of savings. They can basically remove the dock, some joycon stuff and... maybe a cheaper screen?

In any case I suspect it's gamefreak really pushing for a cheaper model for kids.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Next-gen" Switch whatever that ends up being has almost assuredly been in development since 2016. Nintendo's R&D hasn't been just sitting on their ass doing nothing for almost 3 years.

Switch hardware was likely finalized by summer/fall 2016.

We know something called a "Mariko" chip (custom Tegra chip) was uncovered by firmware hackers a year ago alone in the Switch firmware.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
That's a fair point.

I'm wondering in what direction Nintendo will go with the Switch 2. Is the plan to get the same level of gap next gen as we have between the Switch and the PS4/Xbox One ? If it's the case, what can they realistically achieve from a specs standpoint in 2021/2022 ?

I mean Sony and Microsoft are going big with 12TF+ systems. Can we REALLY expect a 4 TF Switch 2 in 2021/2022 at 300$ ?

I think Nintendo will fall further behind in the power race. If we're looking at that 2021 to 2022 window as likely, there's just no way that Nintendo can catch up to PS5 and Xbox 4 while keeping that handheld form factor. However, you could argue that some of that processing power overhead on PS5 and Xbox 4 will be "wasted", since not all devs will be able to completely utilize it, and they will have to make tough choices of focusing on 4K, 60 FPS, or more complex and detailed game worlds at the expense of resolution and even FPS. There will still be situations where a PS5/Xbox4 game won't be an immense step up from a comparable Switch 2 game.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the mobile hardware catches up very fast with "stationary" hardware power. There will always be a power gap but it will probably narrow and not get wider.
It's not getting 4TF until 5nm+, maybe even need 3nm or stacked boards. It would be dumb to launch a Switch 2 before 5 years on market.

Nintendo's last President said in early 2018 that they want switch to last longer than a normal cycle, so longer than March 2022.

I'm hopeful for a Switch 2 in 2023 with a 1080p foldable screen, 8-16GB of LP RAM, 2-3Tflops in a $300 package.