• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
who will switch pro help tho, exactly? it's not like we'll see ports on it that were previously impossible. anything would still have to run on base switch. it's basically a way to just make the current games run and look better, and i don't think nintendo is interested in that.

To me "Pro" is marketing speak for "We made a Switch 2 but a 2/3 year generation would burn our audience so we will call it a mid gen upgrade because the other platform holders have normalised that nomenclature in the gaming space"

It's an easy enough sell. All Nintendo games and indies work on the Switch and Pro. They just run better on the Pro. Some 3rd party games are Pro exclusive but all games will be forward compatible with a 2022 Switch 2.

This is overly upfront for corporate strategy, but in practice this honesty would limit any potential backlash by strictly defining the audience for the Pro.

Edit: The Audience for the Pro is...

People with disposable income who want prettier/better performing versions of Nintendo games

People who don't currently own a switch

People willing to pay a premium for portable versions of 3rd party games

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
The Switch Pro is just going to be the new standard SKU because a 20nm chip is too ancient to be cost efficient.
Cheaper Switch is coming for Animal Crossing or Pokémon.
Next gen Switch coming 2022.
This is my take too. There won't be a switch Pro but just a revision of the current one using the same chipset as the lite version but running at higher clockspeeds. So we can expect slightly better performance and battery life but that's it. I don't even think they will improve the screen.

They will release the new lite and the new revision this year and switch 2 will come in 2022.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather a next gen Switch than a Switch Pro to be brutally honest. It means they can wait a bit and start competing with next gen consoles but sticking to 1080p. But then if they're going to launch a new console they'll need a good launch line up, which could mean holding back games from Switch.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thats fine, I guess. I have no issues as far as portability with my current Switch, so , I won't be buying this. Hope the Switch Pro or 2 or whatever it will be releases no later than 2020.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
The Switch Pro is just going to be the new standard SKU because a 20nm chip is too ancient to be cost efficient.
Cheaper Switch is coming for Animal Crossing or Pokémon.
Next gen Switch coming 2022.
Yeap, that's my guess as well. I think the Pro is simply a new model that fixes little things like the joy-cons, materials, kickstand as well as more battery and maybe a slightly upgrade on performance because of its new chip, simply what a Switch in 2019 for 300 euros should be, the current model is great but might feel outdated next year. The cheaper Switch would then be a cheaper itineration of this new model, probably sold without dock.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I hope Switch 2 / Pro has backwards compatibility with regular Switch games. I don't fancy buying another console 2/3 years after the previous one.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think one issue is this ... if you double/triple the PS4/XB1 chipset ... it's still a similar class of system, except now 4K or checkerboard 4K is doable.

But double/triple the performance of the X1 and the Switch goes from PS3/360/Wii U+ performance straight into a lot of PS4/XB1 ports being possible (2x jump)-to-easy (3x jump) which is more of a generational leap ahead.

Mobile chip tech is advancing very rapidly, what Nvidia is likely able to give Nintendo these days at a similar cost to what the X1 was in 2017 is likely blowing the OG Switch out of the water.

But what do you do? Sit on the chip and not use it? I think Nintendo is probably in some uncharted territory here. They've never used a hardware architecture (at least not recently) that could scale up the way the Tegra line can.

The N64, GameCube, Wii, and Wii U were all very proprietary types of hardware. To "upgrade" them would require a lot of work from scratch, the Tegra X1 ... Nvidia was already working on Tegra Xavier by the time Switch launched, Nintendo has likely had access to prototype silicon in that regard for a long time already.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Are they really going to release a "next gen" Switch in 2020? Three years after their new console came out and sold like gangbusters to make longtime lapsed Nintendo fans? Wouldn't people feel like that was a major abandonment?

It will definitely be a "Pro" and not a "next gen" upgrade imo.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'd rather a next gen Switch than a Switch Pro to be brutally honest. It means they can wait a bit and start competing with next gen consoles but sticking to 1080p. But then if they're going to launch a new console they'll need a good launch line up, which could mean holding back games from Switch.

They are going to be competing with XB1 even if they call it a "next gen switch". The limitations of power consumption arent going away. There is zero chance the next switch will be competing in any way with the next generation consoles of the competition.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are going to be competing with XB1 even if they call it a "next gen switch". The limitations of power consumption arent going away. There is zero chance the next switch will be competing in any way with the next generation consoles of the competition.
Yeah but that's a good thing. That opens the system up to 'current gen' ports. Plus the lesser the power gap, the more developers are likely to create games with both systems in mind (especially due to the sales success of Switch).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The lite/mini model still being dockable makes way, WAY more sense than this (imo fake) picture and the infos on that.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So Pro is still on? Good. Switch has so much stuff going on that it is pretty much ripe for optimizations after the very first gen, even if the performance doesn't jump that much. I honestly can't wait to see Switch iterations.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
So smaller/handheld focused Switch Mini/Pocket/Lite this year, like most of people thought on first place,
interesting new info from Nikkei here is that could dock to TV, and that maybe goes with line what some people said that Switch Mini/Pocket could Dock and have support for Joy Cons even if it had built in controls.

Infos (based on Dr. Serkan Toto translate) about other model are more interesting, it sounds that we dont talk about "Pro" (like WSJ also reported) but like we talking about remaded current Switch model, that could probably have improved design, Screen (maybe 1080p), Dock, Joycons, OS, graphical capabilities...IMO we here still talking about "New" Switch that will have more improvements than we thought and that will by time probably replace current Switch model completely on market, with releasing some time next year.

In any case, I hope we will have official announcement for Switch Mini/Pocket/Lite by E3 like WSJ suggested.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what kind of SoC they'll be using. I assumed it would be the current X1 at Shield TV's clock speeds, which at 7nm shouldn't be a problem at all and it would be a decent boost in power. But if they're having trouble, both with the OS and power saving, then that means they're aiming higher. Maybe a Xavier SoC?

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
You made the classic mistake of not reading the contents of your own link.

All the comparisons made are to the chip the Switch uses and not the best chips which are still made by nvidia instead of Qualcomm and Apple. Nvidia hasn't released a Tegra that offers more than 2tf performance on the GPU side.
The overall performance on mobile has been better since 2017...

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
I don't see any figures that show a mobile chipset capable of 3+ TF in that link but maybe I missed it? I know there are more powerful chipsets than why is in the Switch.

From my understanding Apple has one of the most powerful mobile chips and they claimed the mobile chipset in their iPad Pro was close to an Xbox One S, which is 1.4 TF. You are now asking for a chip that is 2.5x more powerful than that, in what is likely a smaller form factor.

That is also with the caveat that you believe Apple that the GPU in the iPad Pro is close to an X1S.

Is there any current chipsets on the market with a 3+ TF GPU and if so, how would Nintendo get it in their form factor for their target price? I'd love a 3+ TF GPU but that seems unrealistic any time soon, but I'm far from an expert.
What I linked showed mobile chipsets(in 2017) with 2+ X the overall power of the Switch.

Also "supposedly" Apple has a 5 TF mobile chip.

Last edited:

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In 2017 mobile chipsets were overall 2-3 X the Switch.

What I linked showed mobile chipsets(in 2017) with 2+ X the overall power of the Switch.

Where exactly is this Apple 5 TF mobile chip?

The Tegra X1 was definitely on par with Apple's best in 2015 (A9X I believe), Nvidia simply isn't going to be public about their more recent stuff because Nintendo is basically their only vendor and Nintendo doesn't want that info/tech roadmap out there.

IMO Nvidia can make anything Apple can more or less.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be comfortable buying the Switch Mini this year and then getting the more powerful one when that drops, in lieu of going onto the Xbox console platform next gen. Switch/PS5/PC seems ideal.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Damn these rumors. The only reason I'm not getting a Switch now is because of the chance of a Switch Pro later. Now I don't know what to do.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted a Pro, but in the end; there's nothing I really want to play before Metroid - and that must be like three years away, right?

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In 2017 the most powerful mobile GPU had 256 cores and couldn't run more than 500mhz without throttling a lot. 384mhz for the Switch weren't too bad. Also the Cpu, despite an higher peak clock and be more powerful, had the same problem in a real case scenario.
So, Switch tech wasn't the best on the market but it was powerful.

PS: just considering the mobile experience.

Last edited:

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
It never made sense that Nintendo would release 2 consoles later this year. They'd cannabalise each other's sales.

I've read a few comments that say they'll buy the mini now and the pro later.

2 and a half years is too soon for a pro model. Xbox and PS4 waited 4 years as a mid gen refresh to inject some new life into their line, and it worked (especially for Xbox).

The switch is still selling well, makes sense to wait until visual showcase games release and drive interest for a pro model.

Having said that, the X released without any true launch game.

I'd be way more likely to upgrade to a pro if say for example the new 3D Legend Of Zelda was releasing (the same reason I bought the New 3DS for Majora's Mask).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the Switch Lite that releases this yea will still have some perfomance enhancements.

• Docked clocks in handheld mode and no change in TV mode
  • Higher clocked CPU in both modes
This would give games considerable a performance bump in handheld mode, and docked mode would be a smoother version of what we have now.

If you want a considerably better docked experience, you'll have to wait on the Pro, or whatever it's called

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Without detachable joy-cons, any rumble/IR, or a dock (although I think a small one will be included but without the added cpu), and generally a smaller, cheaper build, this could get really cheap. $199 is the obvious target, but it could go even lower.

2DS bundles down to $49
2DS XL bundles down to $99
3DS XL bundles down to $129
Switch Mini launching at $179
Original Switch down to $249
Switch Pro later launching at $299.

It makes sense: make early adopters put in the work to make the system become viral and popular, then with that positive buzz, launch the smaller, cheaper model to fill out the market and increase interest, which could of course entice consumers to be up-sold into the more expensive original bundle. The mass-market appeal across so many devices would go such a long way towards Nintendo's goal of expanding user base and IP popularity.

The question is, if the revised pro version is also coming, would it make sense to launch (or even unveil) them at the same time? Retailers would appreciate the old bundle getting a price drop and being cleared out, without two new models detracting from its appeal at both ends.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are they really going to release a "next gen" Switch in 2020? Three years after their new console came out and sold like gangbusters to make longtime lapsed Nintendo fans? Wouldn't people feel like that was a major abandonment?

It will definitely be a "Pro" and not a "next gen" upgrade imo.

I think they just mean "more powerful" so basically a Pro model.

By late 2020 / Spring 2021 Nintendo and Nvidia should be able to make a much more powerful version of the current Switch while also improving battery life greatly and including a better screen and larger drive size all for $299.

They will play all the same games so not really abandoning anyone.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
So to sum it all up, we will probably see a Switch Lite variant this year, but a Pro/Successor most likely left until next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt Wall Street Journal report on a better spec switch first?
They didn't mention better specs just a premium focus
Mochi/Wall Street Journal started the two different models thing and Eurogamer backed it up with their own sources. Nikkei is not trustworthy either, they mix things up often like Project Cafe. No way Switch 2 development starts this early, Nintendo usually initiates the creation of the next generation platforms 1-2 years before its launch.
Consoles always have several years of pre production.
I think Cerny said ps5 has been in the works for 4 years?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Said it in the other thread, saying it here: At this point, it's best to wait until Nintendo talks about this. Hopefully at the E³ Direct.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's difficult to try and decipher what "next-generation" means in the context of a new Switch. I don't think it means what it initially sounds like, in that this would be a new console with a new name and game library (even if it has BC).

I remember reading that Nintendo's goal with the "NX" was that it was supposed to match what Apple does with iPhones - as in, newer, more powerful models every 1-2 years that are fully compatible with the existing library but offer better performance and nicer features. I think Nintendo is done with the whole "generation" concept.

Oct 25, 2017
It was always weird that switch pro was basically not mentioned by anyone of note till recently but the switch lite has been in the news since last year.
Feels like developers wouldn't know about a lite but they would know about a pro.

We do have eurogamer and Benji mentioning that they've heard from developers that a pro is happening, but WSJ doesn't seem to know if it has a spec change and Nikkei doesn't know anything about it. Might indicate that it's not real or father away than we thought.

The Nikkei article seems to talk about Nintendo's current status, how they're doing and what they plan on doing. The next gen switch being very early/without a clear lead likely was just included to mention that Nintendo is working on hardware post switch which doesn't tell us much.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I think is happening is that the Switch Lite has a n3DS style upgrade and very few devs have a preliminary Switch Pro kits. If the pro comes next year or the year after that, we won't really know until later this year, when more devs get kits

But I think it's safe to say the Lite will have performance enhancements

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
How ? That report seems to indicate the contrary.

It didn't really, not the fixed translation at least? It just omitted the Pro model, so the Pro rumors could still be real too. So we could have

1. Switch Portable
2. Switch Pro
3. Next-gen SW successor

It's strange to omit the Pro if it exists, that's true. But it would also be strange if the Pro hardware edition was actually a next-gen system.

It's difficult to try and decipher what "next-generation" means in the context of a new Switch. I don't think it means what it initially sounds like, in that this would be a new console with a new name and game library (even if it has BC).

From the Gematsu article.

Development on a "next-generation device that is a full model change of the current hardware" will reportedly follow the less expensive model. While Nintendo is said to be trying out various things—including operability and video expression improvements, operating system changes, and so on—development is currently in a state where "it is not clear who will lead the creation of the concept," according to one developer.

That absolutely sounds like a next-gen platform, not just a hardware iteration.

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Wait, can somebody clear me up please?

Is there a Pro Version (like a PS4 Pro to the PS4) coming alongside the cheaper one (like the Xbox One S to the Xbox One X) THIS fall?

Additionally a real new generation (like the PS5 is) starts development soon? --> Hard to believe this, Nintendo must have started since 2017 right after the Switch, this is the normal case....