• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

halvvapoori

Oct 25, 2017
Amsterdam
I guess that's great news for Nintendo that Sony considers the Switch an 'issue'

Edit: I wonder if this has any implications for Sony's side of business

Oct 25, 2017
If they truly are serious about the service thing they need to get Ea access on the platform, ps now should be expanding more not be taken off platforms and for gods sake add ps1,ps2 games

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the most telling thing about this is he wasn't asked about the switch or even competitors. He brought it up himself, so it's clearly very much on Sony's mind. They will respond to it in some way, though probably not with a PS5 hybrid.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Videogames are experiences. Despite what you hear, graphics are very important. Graphics, music, story, mechanics, all that comes together and delivers an experience. With Sony, the technical stuff that their studios pull off is what separates them from everyone else. Nobody is seeing them, not even DICE.
If the games played like shit,no one would be interested. Graphics might be one thing they excell at over most other publishers/dev studios, but it isn't the main selling point. The games are really good games as well (for the most part), that's why they (mostly) find continued success with many of their studios.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If they can build a mid end phone for around 250usd that has full smartphone functionality and play psp, vita and access to google play store I think they got something going. Its doesn't need to be the most powerful handheld ever.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their response seems to be focused on games as a service, nothing about this leads me to believe that they would like to make a Playstation Switch as some would hope.

Yeah that is my interpretation as well.

...and it leaves me conflicted. I loathe GaaS almost in every possible way, but I really don't want Sony wasting everyone's time with another handheld (and their money, going by the Vita diasaster). What would the selling point even be, that you can play ps3 (or something between ps3 and 4) quality games? That unimpressive strategy sure worked for the Vita.

Plus that would mean more handheld crap on PS+ monthly offerings and potentially hindering the PS4 offerings.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here comes the poorly planed PS Swap knock-off. Because Move was such a great idea last time.

Oct 25, 2017
Every gaming cycle, the top dog always gets arrogant. If Sony gets arrogant and announces an expensive ass ps5 with a ps switch bundle for $600 ? It's gonna be the Xbox one Kinect all over again

Lol
This makes no sense. Doesn't recognizing strong competition and admitting that you have to keep pushing to keep people engaged with your product show that you're not being arrogant?

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
People. All they are saying is that they consider the Switch a strong competitor. Anything else in this thread is being brought in by the posters.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Instead of another gamble into handheld hardware, or even a hybrid like Switch, I would prefer an upgraded RemotePlay that'll function on any device. Not that I won't go for a Vita 2 / PSP 2, I just think that no handheld will stand a chance if Sony doesn't back it 100%.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Nintendo is killing it with the Switch and so is Sony this gen. This is just acknowleding the impact the success of the Switch is having on sales and targets...

Lesson , great exclusive software helps push hardware:-)

I dont think it likely Sony will jump back in the portable market , but Ninties success with a hydbrid model may make them consider hardware design ...

Oct 25, 2017
That's a reactive way to compete. The Switch is capturing the zeitgeist and making Nintendo money.

Sony's response is, "Gotta find ways to milk more money out of the customers we got with subscriptions."
I mean yes? That's how a business works.
Not really reactive at all that's where they were heading from jump
They want their users to be on ps plus,psvue,psnow etc it's extra revenue

If the games played like shit,no one would be interested. Graphics might be one thing they excell at over most other publishers/dev studios, but it isn't the main selling point. The games are really good games as well (for the most part), that's why they (mostly) find continued success with many of their studios.
They sell well because they provide good experiences. Also, visuals are the biggest selling point of VIDEO games. However, a focus on visuals have nothing to do with mechanics. That's why the whole "graphics vs mechanics", things make no sense. The people responsible for the art aren't designing the mechanics unless you are a 1 man indie team. Just because a game is aesthetically pleasing, doesn't mean they had to neglect visuals to get there. A game that has good visuals with bad mechanics like Ryse or something would be the same game with less of the budget allocated towards the art portion of the game.

Oct 26, 2017
I actually think the VIta TV would have be far more well received a few years later when streaming services really started taking off. An upgraded version that is basically a 4K streaming box that also can play games from PSN would be awesome.
I'm legit confused. Streaming was fucking massive when Vita TV released. It had taken off years ago. Apple TVs, chromecasts, smart TVs, not to mention 360, PS3, and Wii, had already normalized streaming and video rental was already dead. Vita TV is about probably the only device you could purchase in 2014 that you could plug into a TV that couldn't stream media. Truly stunning incompetence from Sony.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They sell well because they provide good experiences. Also, visuals are the biggest selling point of VIDEO games. However, a focus on visuals have nothing to do with mechanics. That's why the whole "graphics vs mechanics", things make no sense. The people responsible for the art aren't designing the mechanics unless you are a 1 man indie team. Just because a game is aesthetically pleasing, doesn't mean they had to neglect visuals to get there. A game that has good visuals with bad mechanics like Ryse or something would be the same game with less of the budget allocated towards the art portion of the game.
No, visuals are not the biggest selling point of games. Plenty of games that look like dogshit that have still triumphed vastly over tech showpieces with less interesting gameplay.

Deleted member 13855

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should shamelessly rip off the switch for the Vita 2, just make it nice big screen with an hdmi out to connect to a tv.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We cant ignore... That why we made new label so we can release games for it, lol.

But would be really ironic if it was the switch sucess that gaves sony confidence to finally iterate on the portable line

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So in the future...
PS5: premium console. BC with PS4.
PS4 Pro becomes standard PS4
Portable PS4 released similar to Switch.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 will be a hybrid device. It will dock into an external GPU that will boost games to native 4K. Handheld mode will be 1080p native.

$599.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
Where are people getting the idea that this means Vita 2 or a portable/hybrid PS4 or 5? Am I missing something? There's nothing in that quote that indicates that.

That's what these people (myself included) wish, not what the man implied in the interview.

I know people are found of the Switch, but let other people dream about other handhelds. If a Vita 2 or a new Sony handheld were to happen, Switch would still do fine, no need to react like many people in this thread. DS sold better than PSP and the PSP still did pretty good numbers. You can have two handhelds on a market, it worked fine in those years.