• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a lot of people responded to the thread without even properly reading through the OP. He's only saying that the Switch is competition and they're gonna look more into their services to combat it

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's exciting, I really hope Sony considers a Vita 2. They would destroy the performance of Switch, Sony are masters of portable consoles.

I'd hardly call a company who has failed at both of their attempts at a portable "masters". Good hardware though, shame about everything else.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
If PS5 isn't a hybrid unit in some manner, I'll be shocked. The problem for Sony is that jiving with the expectation that it'll be an answer to the XBX in terms of specs as well

You'll probably be shocked then.

Switch is selling well in its first year.
PS4 is destroying the console charts for 4 years now.

Who knows if the Switch will keep its momentum ? The Wii U sold decently in its first 9 months (around 7 millions), we all know what happened next. I doubt the Switch will drop as fast as the Wii U, but nothing indicate it will keep selling like this.

The PS5 is probably already planned. You're CEO of Sony, what do you do ? Double-down on the PS4 strategy, the console that made you rich again or try a new hybrid risky concept because a Nintendo console is selling well in its first year ?

I'd hardly call a company who has failed at both of their attempts at a portable "masters". Good hardware though, shame about everything else.

That's exactly what he was saying, he was speaking about performance and as you admited it yourself, PSP and Vita had very good specs for their time.

Also, PSP was a failure ? Selling roughly as much as the GBA ? The Vita was a failure, but the PSP ? Nah.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
It would be great if Sony could produce some games to appeal to people that like Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kirby, etc.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

Who knows if the Switch will keep its momentum ? The Wii U sold decently in its first 9 months (around 7 millions), we all know what happened next. I doubt the Switch will drop as fast as the Wii U, but nothing indicate it will keep selling like this.

The PS5 is probably already planned. You're CEO of Sony, what do you do ? Double-down on the PS4 strategy, the console that made you rich again or try a new hybrid risky concept because a Nintendo console is selling well in its first year ?
It took Wii U around 21 months to sell 7m units worldwide. It launched strong in 2012 and then cratered in January 2013.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see a companion to the PS4 in a switch like hardware.

Don't try to make another handheld that does AAA gaming. It's not going to fucking work.

Make a device that can play Sonic Mania, and indie titles, stuff of that quality and power.

Have it so that if I bought Sonic Mania, I could play it on the PS4 or portable. One purchase, both systems. Maybe if you installed the game on both systems, then you can dock the portable, and it would route to the PS4, and start EXACTLY where the portable is at, but increase its power significantly, and vice versa.

I could see lots of options here.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
It would be great if Sony could produce some games to appeal to people that like Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kirby, etc.
I like all of those games and Sony is making plenty of games that appeal to me.

Edit: Also, lol at everyone in this thread that thinks this statement means Sony is going to make a new portable. Maybe read what he actually said?

Oct 26, 2017

No it didn't. The Wii U's sales fell off a cliff a mere two months or so after release, to the point where they were not only below the PS3/360 but some where even shipped back. The Switch has had none of those issues and has been selling well since release, without any drastic measures, such as a price cut. I think it's fair to say it'll continue to sell well and hasn't peaked yet, most successful systems don't in their first year. The PS4 has of course been selling well, improving year over year, and I doubt that Sony will change their strategy next gen as they don't have to fix what isn't broken but you're selling the Switch really short here

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Sony ain't making a new Vita. They see the Switch as big competition and are increasing the PS4's value proposition. Also, more GaaS.

But what's this I hear about the PS5 coming with a tablet controller that the console streams video to?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I actually love my Playstation Phone (xperia Z3). I wish they continue down this road since you can play Playstation remote play on pretty much anything. Xperia even has native DS4 support.

Edit: No way to people thinking PS5 hybrid. That would be stupid. Nintendo got it to work for them, and that's fine, but I don't want consoles going that direction. Sony wouldn't do anything to limit the power of their next console by making it portable focused with tv out and better cooling or whatever.

God the Xperia Play still remains the best phone I ever had. I'd kill for another shot at it

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
playstation-switch-003.jpg

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Fine...but I really dont want a "PlayStation Swap" or whatever. Its fine to be inspired...but I hate blatant rip offs (Move, Playstation All-Stars, etc).

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Hope part of this can mean more investment in the indie space. We've gotten hints over the past couple of years that most of that money has gone into VR stuff and some of the smaller titles I got my PS4 for (Rime, Wattam, Edith Finch) ended up getting dropped. Good to see everyone inspired to give it their all in any case.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please challenge Nintendo in whatever areas they are in... it brings out the best in competition.
Switch is great, but it could do even better... and if nobody challenges them in that field, they will become arrogant and stagnate again.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Mmm isn't The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush somehow on the vein of Zelda? I mean, I know they're different games but the tone and aim is the same... sort of, right? People didn't buy those games and I wonder how things would have been if they'd be on Switch? Mario... well, you could name Ratchet & Clank and Crash (maybe even Knack), they just don't have the quality developers for that kinda of games, Fire Emblem and Kirby yeah... Sony for sure don't have those but I don't think the need a "Kirby", and for Fire Emblem they already have third party JRPGs.

Is Nintendo worried for not having an Uncharted or The Last of Us? I don't think so. Sony is doing fine gamingwise, they can only tackle so many genres tho.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just don't try and ape Nintendo, keep doing your own thing Sony. The market has obviously rewarded you.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why are we going with revisionist history? Wii U sales fell off a cliff in 45 days of launch. Its sales after seven months of launch stood at 3.61 million, Switch was over that in a little under two months.

Samuel Eames

Nov 22, 2017
St Louis
I'd be pretty skeptical about a new portable from sony. say what you will about nintendo but they consistently have the best handhelds available, and the vita especially was really lackluster imo. Maybe third time's the charm though.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ignore it Sony, don't waste money and resources on a portable. That ship has sailed for you guys.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything in this article indicates that Sony has no interest in the portable space.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...playstation-boss-sees-limited-handheld-market

If they release a new PSP and a PS5, then their output is going to be half assed like it was on the Vita. It's going to stand out even more now Nintendo isn't tied to two consoles. The alternative is that Sony goes all in with their own Hybrid device, but then obviously Microsoft is going to release a console that has amazing specs and makes it look weak. Then they will likely lose a lot of the AAA audience they've spent such a long time getting on side.

This is why Sony called Nintendo 'disruptive' back when the Switch launched. They have put a spanner in the works.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can be successful but still be a failure. How the fuck, you ask? Think Batman v Superman.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony shouldn't waste R&D resources on a potential handheld or on a hybrid weak sauce system. The tech isn't there yet for a portable..
The tech is there just fine, the Switch is proof that the tech exists and is fantastic. If you want the highest end of experiences, then sure, portable tech is not there, and will never be there either.

A big part of the reason those franchises have enduring popularity is because they are not narrative emphasized, which is antithetical to the audience Sony has cultivated.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It means they're not being arrogant Sony and acknowledge that there are other competitive products in the marketplace, thus keeping them on their toes.

That also says a lot about their other competition.

It's wild cuz didn't PS4 have best months on the market after that switch came out?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything in this article indicates that Sony has no interest in the portable space.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...playstation-boss-sees-limited-handheld-market

If they release a new PSP and a PS5, then their output is going to be half assed like it was on the Vita. It's going to stand out even more now Nintendo isn't tied to two consoles. The alternative is that Sony goes all in with their own Hybrid device, but then obviously Microsoft is going to release a console that has amazing specs and makes it look weak. Then they will likely lose a lot of the AAA audience they've spent such a long time getting on side.

This is why Sony called Nintendo 'disruptive' back when the Switch launched. They have put a spanner in the works.
Do you have a link to this? Not that I don't believe you, but while I recall Sony using that word for Nintendo, I recall it from the Wii era. I would be interested in seeing what they said about Switch.

Peace

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
France
No it didn't. The Wii U's sales fell off a cliff a mere two months or so after release, to the point where they were not only below the PS3/360 but some where even shipped back. The Switch has had none of those issues and has been selling well since release, without any drastic measures, such as a price cut. I think it's fair to say it'll continue to sell well and hasn't peaked yet, most successful systems don't in their first year. The PS4 has of course been selling well, improving year over year, and I doubt that Sony will change their strategy next gen as they don't have to fix what isn't broken but you're selling the Switch really short here

Like I said myself, "I doubt the Switch will drop as fast as the Wii U, but..." still, if I was a CEO that had to gamble hundred millions on my next console move, which was the point since we were speaking about what the PS5 will be, I could care less about the Switch momentum since there are few real waranties it will keep selling like it is now. I have a feeling it will keep doing well, but you don't gamble millions on a mere feeling, you need solid numbers and the PS4 strategy have provided solid numbers (sales, install base, momentum, money) for 4 constant years.