• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm only listing my favorite songs from LPs right now. I'll list my favorite EP songs when I have a little more time :)

Pretty Hate Machine: Somehing I Can Never Have
The Downward Spiral: Closer
The Fragile: Somewhat Damaged
With Teeth: Right Where It Belongs
Year Zero: Vessel
The Slip: Corona Radiata
Hesitation Marks: Find My Way
Bad Witch: Ahead of Ourselves

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is similar (very hard to pick a favorite from TDS):

Pretty Hate Machine: Terrible Lie
Broken: Last
The Downward Spiral: The Becoming
The Fragile (Left): The Great Below (Trent ,please, play this live)
The Fragile (Right): The Big Come Down
Still: Adrift And At Peace
With Teeth: Beside you in time
Year Zero: The Good Soldier
Ghosts I-IV: 28 Ghosts IV
The Slip: Head Down
Hesitation Marks: All Time Low
Not The Actual Events: Burning Bright
Add Violence: The Background World
Bad Witch: Shit Mirror (for now... Over and Out is up there)

It's pretty much a coin-flip between She's Gone Away and Burning Bright on that EP. I eventually went with the former thanks to the link with Twin Peaks making it just that little bit more special to me.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. Do you have Spotify accessing your personal library?
I thought maybe, but I don't even have NTAE downloaded from anywhere else on my PC, and happening on my laptop too. Cleared cache and nothing

Anyway...

Broken: Happiness in Slavery
The Downward Spiral: Closer ***
The Fragile (Left): The Wretched
Still: The Becoming
With Teeth: The Line Begins to Blur
Year Zero: Me, I'm Not
Ghosts: 16 Ghosts II
Not The Actual Events:
She's Gone Away
Bad Witch: Over and Out

That's right Closer. TDS is my favorite NIN work and Closer just has a sound palette that is absolutely perfect to me.The MOTP/Closer cassette single is probably what made me really obsessed with NIN

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
It's been this way for me for a long time too. Only works on my phone, but not the actual desktop or web versions. No idea why it started happening.

I went through the exact same crap with Spotify last week - albums I didn't have saved wouldn't stream. I use a Mac, had to get in touch with Spotify support, roll back to a prior version of the app, and delete all of the library preference files etc before re-installing. A ball-ache but it works now.

Pretty Hate Machine: The Only Time
Broken: Suck
The Downward Spiral: Ruiner
The Fragile (Left): just Like You Imagined
The Fragile (Right): The Way Out is Through
With Teeth: Home
Year Zero: The Warning/Zero Sum
Ghosts: Well, duh
The Slip: Echoplex
Hesitation Marks: Various Methods of Escape
Not The Actual Events:
She's Gone Away

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty Hate Machine: Head Like a Hole
Broken: Gave Up*
The Downward Spiral: March of the Pigs
The Fragile (Right): I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally
Still: The Day the World Went Away
With Teeth: Right Where It Belongs
Year Zero: Vessel
Ghosts: 13 Ghosts II
The Slip: Discipline
Not The Actual Events: Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
Add Violence: This Isn't The Place
Bad Witch: Shit Mirror**

*I prefer the music video version, mainly because of how raw Trent sounds at the end of it.

**I probably need to let Bad Witch marinate a bit tbh.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm a bit disappointed, to be honest. It starts out very strong but by the halfway point, it feels a bit bland and doesn't pick up again for me.

Raleigh00

Oct 27, 2017
Just received my t-shirt and the first vinyl record I've purchased of Bad Witch - I don't know why I purchased the vinyl as I have no wants in a player or to play it. Seen them live 5 times since Live With Tour tour - all completely different and great. Hearing the songs live make me appreciate album songs more, like You Know What You Are; so much energy when I heard it live.

Last edited:

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
*I prefer the music video version, mainly because of how raw Trent sounds at the end of it.
I love this version but hate how buried the little synth solo is in the mix :(
It's crazy to look at the hardware/software in that video thinking how much more effort it took to do things that are really simple now, I will forever be amazed at how meticulous TDS and Broken sound

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
I thought maybe, but I don't even have NTAE downloaded from anywhere else on my PC, and happening on my laptop too. Cleared cache and nothing

Anyway...

The Downward Spiral: Closer ***
With Teeth: The Line Begins to Blur
Ghosts: 16 Ghosts II
Not The Actual Events: She's Gone Away

That's right Closer. TDS is my favorite NIN work and Closer just has a sound palette that is absolutely perfect to me.The MOTP/Closer cassette single is probably what made me really obsessed with NIN

Ain't a damn thing wrong with Closer... For all the shit Closer got for being "THAT" song (I know even I had my time shitting on it), it really is a masterpiece. The last 3 or so minutes of chaotic breakdown is one of my favorite moments on the album. Of course it's mostly cut out of the radio edit, so the whole story doesn't even get told.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
ladies and gentlemen,
punch your balls off, and please welcome nine inch nails

Led to one of my all time favorite pics of the group

ot.nin2.gif

Cartoonic21

Oct 25, 2017
I had to think about this for a bit before posting anything.

Pretty Hate Machine:
Down In It
The Downward Spiral: Eraser
The Fragile (Left): The Great Below
The Fragile (Right): Into the Void
Still: And All That Could Have Been
With Teeth: Beside You In Time (or if we count b-sides: Home)
Year Zero: The Great Destroyer
Ghosts: 31 Ghosts IV
Hesitation Marks: Disappointed
Not The Actual Events: Dear World,
Add Violence: Not Anymore
Bad Witch: Shit Mirror

I welcome any and all criticism of my tastes.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Pretty Hate Machine: Ringfinger (Runner up goes to the 2013 re-work of Sanctified though.)
Broken: Wish
The Downward Spiral: Reptile
The Fragile (Left): The Frail/The Wretched
With Teeth: All The Love In The World
Year Zero: The Great Destroyer
Ghosts: 34 Ghosts IV
The Slip: Echoplex
Hesitation Marks: Running
Not The Actual Events: Burning Bright
Bad Witch: Ahead of Ourselves

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Closer isn't your favorite song on TDS something's wrong, tbh. Radio overplay and misuse in strip clubs have obscured the fact that the song is the most thematically solid on the album and just absolutely, perfectly composed.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible day, so I might as well try to come up with my list:

The Downward Spiral: Reptile
The Fragile (Left): The Great Below
Things Falling Apart: Metal
And All That Could Have Been (Still): And All That Could Have Been
With Teeth: Beside You in Time
Ghosts I-IV: 28 Ghosts IV
Not the Actual Events: Burning Bright (Field on Fire)

Nov 7, 2017
Pretty Hate Machine: The Only Time
The Downward Spiral: Closer
The Fragile (Left): Somewhat Damaged
Things Falling Apart: 10 Miles high
And All That Could Have Been (Still): The Persistence of Loss
With Teeth: Beside You in Time
Year Zero: Hyperpower!
Ghosts I-IV: 18 Ghosts II
Hesitation Marks: In Two
Not the Actual Events: Dear World, (the idea of you is also one of the greats)
Add Violence: The Lovers

Agreed on Closer - insane song. Still never heard anything like it.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to Bad Witch. Speaking as a lapsed fan who thinks Hesitation Marks is irredeemable garbage, this is easily the best thing to come out of this latest run of records.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahead of Ourselves is fucking awesome, I love the manic drums. Bad Witch is his best work since Year Zero.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

This begs the question of what does Nine Inch Nails taste like?

My favorite song on each album/major release:
Pretty Hate Machine: Something I Can Never Have
Broken: Help Me I Am In Hell
The Downward Spiral: Ruiner
The Fragile: The Way Out Is Through
And All That Could Have Been (Still): The Becoming
With Teeth: The Line Begins To Blur
Ghosts I-IV: 34 Ghosts IV
Hesitation Marks: Satellite
Not the Actual Events: She's Gone Away
Add Violence: Less Than
Bad Witch: ??? I haven't landed on anything as I'm currently not feeling Bad Witch

Listened to Bad Witch. Speaking as a lapsed fan who thinks Hesitation Marks is irredeemable garbage, this is easily the best thing to come out of this latest run of records.

So I loved it when it came out but have progressively found it harder and harder to go back to. I still like the song Satellite but I have a hard time with the rest of the album

Last edited:

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really bummed that absolutely no Canadian dates have been announced.

Does Trent hate Canada now? :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm really bummed that absolutely no Canadian dates have been announced.

Does Trent hate Canada now? :(
Yeah it's ridiculous. Show is ending with no sign of continued tour. Ilan Rubin also posted today that NIN tour will end soon and he will focus on his band and touring for his sake.

It's less about TR hating Canada, and more about everyone not making any money when they tour Canada. I guess TR is a family man now and wants a paycheck for his kids...

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's ridiculous. Show is ending with no sign of continued tour. Ilan Rubin also posted today that NIN tour will end soon and he will focus on his band and touring for his sake.

It's less about TR hating Canada, and more about everyone not making any money when they tour Canada. I guess TR is a family man now and wants a paycheck for his kids...

Like, they came in 2014, when the dollar was beginning to be shit. Maybe they just couldn't lock up dates that fit the schedule, or maybe there's still an outside chance of a Toronto date fitting in somewhere.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Like, they came in 2014, when the dollar was beginning to be shit. Maybe they just couldn't lock up dates that fit the schedule, or maybe there's still an outside chance of a Toronto date fitting in somewhere.
Both could be valid. I mean even Toronto's darling Drake had to add a third weekend show, and once the tickets sold out, he moved them to weekdays, and eventually cancelled one show last minute. I really don't know what's happening in Toronto concert scene, and a lot of artists are booking multiple dates here to justify the cost.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also was listening to The Slip today.

What a under appreciated album that was. Head Down is one of his best songs.

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So I've been purchasing pretty much all of the NIN vinyls as they've come out getting the digital versions in WAV format but I kind of fell behind in terms of loading those files off of a USB drive I had them on (I've been dealing with stuff) and now that USB drive has gone missing. I have two questions:

1. Is there a real discernible difference between WAV and FLAC? Based on my research whatever difference there is would be pretty minor. I'll be playing them off of my iphone.
2. So the only albums I seem to have another back up of are The Downward Spiral, Bad Witch and Not The Actual Events. Of all the albums whose digital versions I'm missing it looks like the only album which I can buy JUST the high quality digital version of on nin's site is Add Violence as everything else is packed with the vinyl (thus bumping up the price). Are there legal alternatives to buying high quality digital versions of these albums or is this pretty much it?

It would be a bummer to have to rebuy all of this so hopefully I can find this USB drive but it's really looking like it's completely gone. I guess I could flip the extra vinyls on ebay in attempt to offset the cost but that would still be a bummer.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been purchasing pretty much all of the NIN vinyls as they've come out getting the digital versions in WAV format but I kind of fell behind in terms of loading those files off of a USB drive I had them on (I've been dealing with stuff) and now that USB drive has gone missing. I have two questions:

1. Is there a real discernible difference between WAV and FLAC? Based on my research whatever difference there is would be pretty minor. I'll be playing them off of my iphone.
2. So the only albums I seem to have another back up of are The Downward Spiral, Bad Witch and Not The Actual Events. Of all the albums whose digital versions I'm missing it looks like the only album which I can buy JUST the high quality digital version of on nin's site is Add Violence as everything else is packed with the vinyl (thus bumping up the price). Are there legal alternatives to buying high quality digital versions of these albums or is this pretty much it?

It would be a bummer to have to rebuy all of this so hopefully I can find this USB drive but it's really looking like it's completely gone. I guess I could flip the extra vinyls on ebay in attempt to offset the cost but that would still be a bummer.
Pretty sure you can download the WAVs from Tidal, lol. WAV and FLAC should be the same since they're lossless. I'd go with WAV, easier compatibility

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure you can download the WAVs from Tidal, lol. WAV and FLAC should be the same since they're lossless. I'd go with WAV, easier compatibility

Wow, Tidal was not a response I was expecting but based on a quick search they indeed do have many of nin's albums (and their singles). The file options are MP3 or FLAC though I can convert FLAC to ALAC. Also they do not have The Fragile remaster, just the OG CD version and for those interested they have the 2004 TDS remaster. Either way, this will definitely save me some money so thank you!

EDIT: Also, it seems safe to assume that the version of Broken on Tidal is not the 2017 remaster.

Last edited:

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Tidal was not a response I was expecting but based on a quick search they indeed do have many of nin's albums (and their singles). The file options are MP3 or FLAC though I can convert FLAC to ALAC. Also they do not have The Fragile remaster, just the OG CD version and for those interested they have the 2004 TDS remaster. Either way, this will definitely save me some money so thank you!
I only know this because there was that promotion where if you put in the code QUEEN you could download any album on the site. I used it to get Aphex Twin - Syro in FLAC. Not sure if that code still works

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I only know this because there was that promotion where if you put in the code QUEEN you could download any album on the site. I used it to get Aphex Twin - Syro in FLAC. Not sure if that code still works

So it turns out I had most of the albums I was missing backed up on an external harddrive. I have most of them in both FLAC and WAV formats which has resulted in me learning a lot about said formats. Namely, I forgot that WAV files don't really have metadata which is kind of annoying as it means no album art. FLAC isn't useful for me as Apple doesn't support it and all of the FLAC to ALAC converters I've found seem to produce ALAC files that are of a much lower bitrate though FLAC to WAV conversions seem good... basically, this divot in the ground is quickly turning into a rabbit hole. The long and short of this is: I wish WAV files had real editable metadata.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting them to bring back Happiness in Slavery forever. That setlist is amazing, hope I get HIS in one of the brooklyn shows!

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, great set list! Hopefully carries through, next Saturday night in San Antonio can't get here quick enough!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Going to be seeing them live at Louder Than Life. I'm mostly driving 6 hours to see them. Primus and Deftones are a bonus for me. This tour has been interesting to follow as someone who lives in a place that they aren't performing in (Cleveland, Ohio). My bro lives in LA and they're performing in LA on his bday, so I'm considering popping in and surprising him with tickets BUT they're also performing in Irving, Texas on my bday. I haven't pulled the trigger on any of this as I'm desperately trying to figure out a way to financially justify these as flying out of Cleveland ain't cheap these days. LOL

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out that Robin has been doing the vocals in the verses of Shit Mirror. That's awesome, he sounds great.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow they debuted the PERFECT DRUG live tonight. This tour is gonna be lit. Copped one of those new stone washed Ts on his site in prep for it hehe.