• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Ok...

This Rhythm Is Infected and Feel Like Being Dead Again are legitimately awesome.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trent Reznor has a writing credit on a charting single featuring Billy Ray Cyrus. i can't imagine what a nightmare that sentence would be to process in 1994

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
JEEZ.

NIN_BLACK_MIRROR_TEE_FRONT_1024x1024.png

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the Black Mirror episode, quite enjoyed it. They really push the Head Like A Hole pastiche though, so prepare to get a bit sick of hearing it. Right Where It Belongs is in there too.

I've never paid any attention to Miley Cyrus, but I appreciate her a lot more as if this episode is anything to go by she has a mouth like a sewer.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I've been debating buying Deviations 1. I'm not a fan of NIN anymore, and the album isn't cheap, but I have a soft spot for The Fragile.

So to anyone who has heard it, is it worth buying?

Daeda

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I've been debating buying Deviations 1. I'm not a fan of NIN anymore, and the album isn't cheap, but I have a soft spot for The Fragile.

So to anyone who has heard it, is it worth buying?
I thought it was rather dull tbh. The majority is just instrumentals of known tracks, and the others were mostly repurposed into ather songs somehow. Though I admit I only listened to it once.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, the Fragile is my favorite of his work so hearing it as pure instrumental was transformative.
I thought it was rather dull tbh. The majority is just instrumentals of known tracks, and the others were mostly repurposed into ather songs somehow. Though I admit I only listened to it once.

Do the instrumental versions of known songs sound any different, even the slightest? Do the new tracks sound like full fledged songs?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The new tracks are new enough (to me) but they also transition well into the old ones. Uhhhh...The instrumentals of the old songs are the same iirc.

Interesting. Thanks for your input.

I'll always like The Fragile era NIN, which is why I'm so interested. And I'm hesitant to buy the album because of the price, but I don't want to miss out on it and have eBay prices become my only option.

BTW what's the best place to buy NIN albums in flac format without restrictions to how I listen to the music?

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017

I'll always like The Fragile era NIN, which is why I'm so interested. And I'm hesitant to buy the album because of the price, but I don't want to miss out on it and have eBay prices become my only option.

BTW what's the best place to buy NIN albums in flac format without restrictions to how I listen to the music?

Deviations is vinyl only, to get a download link you have to buy the lp.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
The new tracks are new enough (to me) but they also transition well into the old ones. Uhhhh...The instrumentals of the old songs are the same iirc.

They aren't exactly straight up instrumental versions of the album tracks. Somewhat Damaged for example has a totally new outro. Pilgrimage is mixed differently, I prefer the end of the Deviations version.

It's worth listening to for sure. However I was pretty dissapointed with the vinyl release for the price. I can't speak for the sound quality of the vinyl itself which is supposed to be very good, but it has basic gate fold packaging, and no art book.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Do the instrumental versions of known songs sound any different, even the slightest? Do the new tracks sound like full fledged songs?
Some instrumentals have small variations. I fucking love how "Somewhat Damaged" starts in this version. Super powerful and full of raw emotions even without vocals.

You can hear it online, no? Hear the entire album on Spotify or Apple Music or other services, and decide if you want to own it. It's honestly only worth the purchase of you've been building a Halo/Deviations/Seed catalog collections. I unfortunately own it all, so I had to get this bad boy.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Some instrumentals have small variations. I fucking love how "Somewhat Damaged" starts in this version. Super powerful and full of raw emotions even without vocals.

You can hear it online, no? Hear the entire album on Spotify or Apple Music or other services, and decide if you want to own it. It's honestly only worth the purchase of you've been building a Halo/Deviations/Seed catalog collections. I unfortunately own it all, so I had to get this bad boy.
It's not on spotify and the apple music release is ever so slightly different than the download from nin.com...classic nin stuff lol

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
The title 'Deviations 1' suggests more in the future, but I could only see maybe Year Zero working in that format? I got my copy for half price in Rough Trade, yet to be honest I wish I just bought the vinyl version of The Fragile instead.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping that we get a stealth release of an album with an announcement of a NA arena tour.

One can only wish....

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The title 'Deviations 1' suggests more in the future, but I could only see maybe Year Zero working in that format? I got my copy for half price in Rough Trade, yet to be honest I wish I just bought the vinyl version of The Fragile instead.

With Teeth might be a good candidate?

Maybe we can also get an official release of Non Entity and Not So Pretty Now.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I finally listened to my copy of The Fragile (DE) and I'm very disappointed. The left side is still good, but for a DE the right side was botched. My main two gripes is the version of Ripe that was used. It's not as good as Rip (with decay.) I'm also annoyed The Mark Has Been Made doesn't seemlessly flow into Ten Miles High. I expected more from a definitive edition.