• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
I was having a think about 360 games that would seriously benefit from a proper patch to 1080p on S and 4K on the X, and right near the top has to be Ninja Gaiden 2!

I remember even when it launched on the 360 being disappointed by (If I remember correctly) the 540p resolution, it just looked so muddy and aliased, and with the awesome patch Microsoft put together for the Original Ninja Gaiden Black, surely NG2 is ripe for the picking!? It would look bloody excellent at higher resolutions.

Come on MS do it. Do it now.

I'm imagining the want for this is pretty high right?

Moohan

Oct 30, 2017
Cannot agree more! One of my favorite action games. Although I would prefer a completely new entry into the series with updated everything, at the very least I would love some BC love for the title along with whatever improvements they could squeeze in.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Maybe if the Ninja Gaiden IP wasn't already tarnished

How does one subpar action game (NG3) tarnish a IP as a whole? I never played the Razer's Edge version, but didn't they fix most of the original's faults?

But I agree with OP, NG2 is my favorite action game from last generation. Love that game, even if it was the catalyst of my 360 getting RROD.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be ~1620p on the X. Resolution only scales up from the original's native resolution (9x). That feature is also dependent on how the original 360 game was built; NG2 might not be compatible with the method used.

360 games on the S don't get any resolution updates. That's only for Original Xbox titles.

Last edited:

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How does one subpar action game (NG3) tarnish a IP as a whole? I never played the Razer's Edge version, but didn't they fix most of the original's faults?

But I agree with OP, NG2 is my favorite action game from last generation. Love that game, even if it was the catalyst of my 360 getting RROD.

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z followed it.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I really, really hated NG2 after NGB was and still is my favourite game ever. It felt like they completely missed the point of what made the first/Black great and screwed it immensely. I'll quote some detail from another thread:

NGB is my favourite game ever. I try and replay it once a year. It actually gets better the more you put the difficulty up. New enemies, old enemies get upgrades, the AI stops falling for some of the simpler combos. The only thing I'd say against it is that some of the later stages are a bit tedious, and Alma reawakened on MN is kind of bullshit with the vulnerability window feeling like it's about 5 frames long.

The sequel is an astonishing let down. It was OK on the first two settings (Acolyte and Warrior) but for the two they utterly missed the point on what made it fun the first time round and just went all in on ridiculous projectile spam and cheap hits. It took it from 'learn how to be better' to 'cheese the game harder than it cheeses you' pretty quickly.

I used to post on a NG forum when it came out (iberians NG realm if anyone remembers it), and the contrast in strategies was really stark. There was such variety for the first game, for the second it was 'get the claws asap, then upgrade them and abuse ->YYYY and the flying swallow -> izuna drop combo for the rest of the game. Scythe for bosses'.

The ninja village chapter is hands down the most unfair slog I've played in a game, culminating in the fight where you fought the horsemen in the first game, with a ton of ninjas that respawn until you've killed like 9 powered up versions of the first stage's boss, who come at you 3 at a time.

Such a disappointment, without evening mentioning the huge amount of bullshit the game pulls, such as the undead Ninjas being able to unblockably suicide bomb you from full health, and the bugs such as some of the harder bosses just randomly leaving the boss fight arenas instead of dying.

I'll add that I'm still bitter that my achievement for beating the game on Master Ninja doesn't have a timestamp because they broke the cutscene before Dagra Dai with the patch that added Mission Mode to the game meaning I had to clear the cache and finish the game offline.

Sigma fixes a lot of the issues with the game, but also shows just how stripped back and easy it is compared to the first once you've removed most of the utter bullshit from it it. Even with all the bullshit left in, it's nowhere near as difficult as the first on the relative difficulty settings. It completely blows its load on difficulty early on as well, by making you fight all the upgraded enemies from the very beginning when you have no health or upgraded weapons and then has nothing else to use to raise the stakes later on as a result, meaning they have to double down on all the cheapness, forcing you to be equally cheap back and removing all the real challenge of mastering the combat in favour of spamming the same combo over and over, unlike the first which punished you for that.

At least it's not NG3, though.

Last edited:

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd also really like this. It was a little brutal going back to it because of how it looked. I couldn't use most of the bonus costumes since most of them looked terrible due to the aliasing. Still love the game though.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

The Sigma Games, 3 and RE and Yaiba are all mediocre to awful experiences. Its also obvious that Tecmo's kind of against doing anything w/NG ever since Itagaki left.