• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Playing NG2 and Black for first time, both are visually incredible. NG2 , atleast first mission is so good looking. Black I'm on Episode 3. Black seems harder then 2 so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I think I might have played maybe an hour of this back in the day, but for someone who's basically new to this: I see its surfaces 2 difficulty modes when you select new game, which one should I choose for the full fat Ninja gaiden 2 experience, so to speak.

And does anyone have any general tips for getting in the flow of the combat.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Damn my disc I bought used from Gamestop years ago is so rough, it just looks like it fell out of a vehicle doing 60. Still worked tho
Time to put in a couple hours

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to buy it, I played until mid-chapter 3. It's very different to Sigma 2 (the one I played back in the day), the higher enemy count alters the gameplay significantly.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Okay so I think I might have played maybe an hour of this back in the day, but for someone who's basically new to this: I see its surfaces 2 difficulty modes when you select new game, which one should I choose for the full fat Ninja gaiden 2 experience, so to speak.

And does anyone have any general tips for getting in the flow of the combat.
If you are new and starting with NG2? DEFINITELY go for Path of the Acolyte.

Finally managed to buy it, I played until mid-chapter 3. It's very different to Sigma 2 (the one I played back in the day), the higher enemy count alters the gameplay significantly.
Yes. Sigma 2 (and 1) are trash.
Hayashi just doesn't understand what makes a Ninja Gaiden game special.

Oct 25, 2017
No hyperbole...is this the best action game ever made?
It definitely has the best first stage, I think. Lmao.

I just beat the ass electric subway worm and took a break. The intensity in this game in unmatched. It's just mountains of demons out for your fucking blood and every time you cleave some suckers arm or leg off it's like fuck yes I-frames and one asshole down 30 to go. Like some of the encounters you go through in the first couple stages could be end game style encounters. Sometimes I wish DMC had mountains of mooks like this.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in the other thread, but yeah, seems to run fine on the stairs. Still seems like less enemies on the stairs I think...

I had a "Do you own this" message pop up more than once, but a reboot solved it (even though the disc was in the drive)

Just played through, not sure if it was "the staircase," but "a staircase" (lol) in Chapter 10 and tried to not kill that many dudes (I just had to Izuna drop a few of them. How could you not?) and just led them around me. Got to the top of one area and did the Wind Blades ninpo and killed them all. Seems to run fine. (I'm not a fan of the "old" staircase so I'm happy with this).

Again though, it's been a long time since I played through this game and part, so I'm not sure if there's a worse area.

I know I suck at the game, also this is Acolyte.

edit: same area on 360 from some dude on youtube. not sure his difficulty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=66&v=TtqMKp_NYUM

Good Lord, I think I suck at this game more than I did before, lol.

If anyone cares, I did a follow up capture of this area. This time trying to do what the person in that youtube video did and I did notice some slowdown. Not a lot, like how it was in that youtube video pre-patch, or anything like... "huge" or "disruptive" but more than I had ever noticed until then. There did also seem to be more enemies around than when I just ran up and ignored everyone until the end when I kinda bopped back and forth to kill them.

At least this time my capture is in 4K at 60FPS...

It's taking freaking forever to upload to Youtube for some reason, but here's a 5 second webm clip until that's done.
http://webmshare.com/play/439jB (note: webm is only 1080p also apparently webmshare only does 30fps)

Last edited:

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
Anyone else notice dropped inputs? It happens to me a lot with the left stick specifically. I can't do forward+Y hold attacks consistently, and often times when I'm trying to dash from a block, Ryu will just stand there while I move the stick forward. I don't think there's a problem with my controller since I just used it to play DMC5 and Sekiro without issue. I hope it's something that can be fixed on my end rather than an emulation problem, but as it is I'd rather play on the 360. (I've got a regular Xbone fyi, not an S or X)

Survival missions in Mission Mode load very slowly as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else notice dropped inputs? It happens to me a lot with the left stick specifically. I can't do forward+Y hold attacks consistently, and often times when I'm trying to dash from a block, Ryu will just stand there while I move the stick forward. I don't think there's a problem with my controller since I just used it to play DMC5 and Sekiro without issue. I hope it's something that can be fixed on my end rather than an emulation problem, but as it is I'd rather play on the 360. (I've got a regular Xbone fyi, not an S or X)

Survival missions in Mission Mode load very slowly as well.
Like... I haven't noticed anything but I played this game so much I might just be used to how it controls.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
In my opinion, yes it has been for years. AND it has tons of problems due to a rushed production. That's how good it is.

If it ever got the Black treatment it deserved it would be the absolute best action game without a doubt.

HOWEVER, DMC5 is quite the contender. It might be better due to its amazing combat system and animation. Still too early to make that call. So for now, NG2 is still the best in my eyes.

Oct 25, 2017
God imagine if Itagaki wasn't a creepo and they managed to do NG2:B instead of Hayashit and Team Ninja Dog doing Sigma 2. My asshole still wouldn't have recovered. I wouldn't have enough cigarettes to smoke after playing it

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017

its up there for sure - i think I like this better than black, personally.

hadn't played this in a few years, had to stop myself after the 2nd level. it is as good as i remembered. I can't think of another game that has combat this satisfying

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
When you can get in the flow of NG2 combat it's the best action game ever made.

When you get stuck with 5000 IS's it's the biggest piece of shit ever created.

Don't know if I've played a game with the best highs and the worst lows. If they just had 6 more months with the game and it was probably balanced it would definitively be the best action game.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you can get in the flow of NG2 combat it's the best action game ever made.

When you get stuck with 5000 IS's it's the biggest piece of shit ever created.

Don't know if I've played a game with the best highs and the worst lows. If they just had 6 more months with the game and it was probably balanced it would definitively be the best action game.

Nah, there is some BULLSHIT in this game that was completely intentional. I have never not only seen a machine gun rocket launcher which fires 100 rockets per minute, I have never seen a game which loves SPAMMING ROOM AFTER ROOM WITH THEM.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, there is some BULLSHIT in this game that was completely intentional. I have never not only seen a machine gun rocket launcher which fires 100 rockets per minute, I have never seen a game which loves SPAMMING ROOM AFTER ROOM WITH THEM.
Just get good.

Nah just kidding. The ranged guys are a blight on an otherwise awesome game. Almost all the sections with loads of ranged guys suck.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Played alittle with the biometal skin forgot i had all the dlc for this damn it looks sweet in 4k.
D4aXwbpXsAASxqd

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this look better than Nioh, lol. The artwork and variety in this game is still fantastic and even eclipses some current gen action games. Took it for granted on release how almost every chapter is a unique and different large environment to tackle. Just makes DMC5's simplistic level design and repeated environments all the more disappointing.

4182019124404AMalkmg.png

417201973615PMd5lw1y.png

4182019124252AMiucnd.png

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
There's a lot of variety but the art direction is terrible, just look at the monster design (best of the worst will always be the Pokemon dragon).

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
God imagine if Itagaki wasn't a creepo and they managed to do NG2:B instead of Hayashit and Team Ninja Dog doing Sigma 2. My asshole still wouldn't have recovered. I wouldn't have enough cigarettes to smoke after playing it
I get you.
However Sigma 2 is also a result of PS3's hardware!
If PS3 was more or less like 360 in strength and weakness, Sigma 2 could be closer. They Built it from scratch on PS3 and the less enemies, gore etc was something they probably had to do, but gave them headroom to push better resolution and slightly better texture on some things. Ryu himself looks abit better, more defined arms. Personally I'm glad they did it, not because it is a better game overall, but some Team Missions co-op was awesome, UN1 and other boss missions etc, soo many hours and met many new people.

I just don't think all the negative things said about Hayashi and his team is balanced and true, they did add some crap, but still.

I'm on chapter 3 on the X now. NG2 is crazy nice when there is no bugs/bad controls. Saying that after Nioh and Sekiro means more!

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I get you.
However Sigma 2 is also a result of PS3's hardware!
If PS3 was more or less like 360 in strength and weakness, Sigma 2 could be closer. They Built it from scratch on PS3 and the less enemies, gore etc was something they probably had to do, but gave them headroom to push better resolution and slightly better texture on some things. Ryu himself looks abit better, more defined arms. Personally I'm glad they did it, not because it is a better game overall, but some Team Missions co-op was awesome, UN1 and other boss missions etc, soo many hours and met many new people.

Yes, I think it's very interesting how they basically remade everything for Sigma 2, even a lot of the basic level geometry is different. The old DF feature is still fun to go back to. Some things look better in one game, some in the other, I don't think that there's a clear winner on that front.

I just don't think all the negative things said about Hayashi and his team is balanced and true, they did add some crap, but still.

I think that the general reputation of Hayashi and his "Team Ninja Dog" is more of a consequence of how they initially handled NG3 than anything that they did with Sigma games. Well, apart from Sigma 2 Plus, a 30 fps NG game is just a no-no.

Razors4edge

Nov 12, 2017
Yep. Interesting face-off by DF.

Probably NG 3 as you say. Sigma Plus is also 30 fps and did not get as much backlash, I believe. Actually a good port, even if 30 is bad for such games. Sigma 2 plus is so much sub 30 that I think it is almost unplayable. But that game on different hardware would at least be a bit better than Sigma 2, because the gore is more closer to NG 2. The purple mist is so out of place.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Lighting boss down.
Though bad, the bosses go down quickly. Now to my favorite level of the game, the werewolf one.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Why does this look better than Nioh, lol. The artwork and variety in this game is still fantastic and even eclipses some current gen action games. Took it for granted on release how almost every chapter is a unique and different large environment to tackle. Just makes DMC5's simplistic level design and repeated environments all the more disappointing.

4182019124404AMalkmg.png

417201973615PMd5lw1y.png

4182019124252AMiucnd.png

if you have tomatoes on your eyes it looks better than Nioh otherwise the game just looks awful, exactly like back when it released. the most hilarious are the werewolves in this venice looking level, they look like cheap plastic action figures, in fact all the characters look like plastic models.

game itself is solid albeit very cheap in some scenes.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Pro Ninja Gaiden 2 tip: If you're tempted to play it on a higher difficulty than Warrior, don't. It sucks. I did it on MN for the achievements back in the day and unlike NGB which gets better as you turn up the difficulty, NG2 just turns into a bad game instead.

cozyduck

Oct 28, 2017
Pro Ninja Gaiden 2 tip: If you're tempted to play it on a higher difficulty than Warrior, don't. It sucks. I did it on MN for the achievements back in the day and unlike NGB which gets better as you turn up the difficulty, NG2 just turns into a bad game instead.

Partially disagree. Some levels and many bosses are undoubtedly garbage, but other levels (like level 11) are absolutely exhilarating on MN and provided me with an experience that I've not yet ever seen replicated in any other action game. That was more than worth the occasional frustration to me. Also, the experience you'll get from Mentor/MN is a good way to prepare for survival mode, which is actually the best part of the game.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, it's my main complaint with the game. They should have did what the God of War games did and make it so only visible on-screen enemies shoot projectiles. Off-screen projectile spam ruins a lot of fights.

Or just uh, have way less projectiles.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this game in years and boy does it show, hah. Even the encounters with Gracious and Glorious in Bayo 1 and 2 seem easy to me compared to this game now. Hopefully the muscle memory comes back and I don't have to kick it down to Acolyte.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Sigma 2 as the definitive version. But I love them both dearly and think they're the best action games ever. Combat and the arsenal at your disposal is pretty unmatched for me. And with this, now I have a reason to buy an Xbox One this year, for 360 games!

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I prefer Sigma 2 as the definitive version. But I love them both dearly and think they're the best action games ever. Combat and the arsenal at your disposal is pretty unmatched for me. And with this, now I have a reason to buy an Xbox One this year, for 360 games!

How is Sigma 2 definitive with the reduced enemy counts?

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

4182019124404AMalkmg.png

417201973615PMd5lw1y.png

4182019124252AMiucnd.png

Nice screenshots!