• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Yep. Sigma 1 and Black are close enough to where you wouldn't have a bad nor vastly different time with the former. However, Sigma 2 is fundamentally different from vanilla 2, and it isn't a subjective nor opinionated matter. One can prefer Sigma 2 to vanilla 2, that's totally fine, and I'm happy for that person. But, the former is vastly different to NG2 standard in nearly every single way, and in my honest opinion, for the worst.

It's still the same game at its core, there are significant differences but far from being enough to make them incomparable.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's still the same game at its core, there are significant differences but far from being enough to make them incomparable.

It's pretty close to incomparable. Even if Sigma 2 takes vanilla's basic combat and gameplay elements, everything around it is so radically different it's hard to make any kind of direct comparison that matters. How you play NG2 and how you play Sigma 2 are fundamentally different experiences.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This is a bit like saying Call of Duty Mobile is like Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare because you can run around Crash with an M4A1.

That "core" is altered so drastically that it is truly a different experience altogether.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
This was a sure day 1 buy from me but these reports have me worried. It's sad cause I always wanted portable NG and skipped the plus versions on Vita for some reason (namely bad fps and lag reports). Will await clarification once it's released and will hunt down the ps3 versions for cheap as I sold those out of stupidity half a year ago.

Dec 21, 2017
This was a sure day 1 buy from me but these reports have me worried. It's sad cause I always wanted portable NG and skipped the plus versions on Vita for some reason (namely bad fps and lag reports). Will await clarification once it's released and will hunt down the ps3 versions for cheap as I sold those out of stupidity half a year ago.
xbox is the place to play these games (if you have one)

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait

From the interview:
The Switch version is 720p/60.
PS4, Xbox One are 1080p/60.
PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, PS5, XSX|XSS, Steam are 4K/60.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Sci-fi action you say? This pleases me. Hopefully the next game Team Ninja works on ends up having a setting based in the late future, could be sweet.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
CyberNinja Gaiden, please.

Basically Metal Gear Rising 2.

Yeah Cyber Ninja

cyborg_ninja.jpg

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhh best outcome would have been Ninja Gaiden Black, and Ninja Gaiden 2 or better yet those + the Sigma games.

This still smells fishy to me. Why did they specify CG? That's not what's in question here.

Well hopefully it's a solid port of the PS3 game with some bells and whistles... But I'm waiting until the game comes out so we can really get to the bottom of this (or some decent footage is released)
My impression is they're going to use the higher quality cutscene character models in game. A lot of remasters do this.

Based on PS3 version in quality would be just that. PS3 assets, additional Vita features. It's not a PS3 port as it's more a final version that takes from both versions. The Vita version may very well be the base but then have the PS3 assets ported into it. That would explain the early screen shots as well as how they look like PS3 now. But if that's the case, wouldn't that mean Blood would be a possibility again?

Last edited:

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They did compare the 2 before, so I imagine it would be fun to do an updated one today (at least comparing BC NG2 on a One X/Series to Sigma 2 in this collection)

www.eurogamer.net

Face-Off: Ninja Gaiden 2 vs. Sigma 2

How do you turn a game design and engine specifically designed for the architectural strengths of one console, and make…

They kind of did when they looked at the XBO update via BC.

What is interesting is that i forgot how improved the textures were in sigma 2 compared to vanilla

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like the PC version will be a mediocre port aka no settings and just basic console stuff.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Can you even change the resolution?
PC supports 4K 60fps if the requirements are met.
"The Steam version doesn't have advanced graphics options, but runs at 1080p, 60fps, and if hardware conditions are met it will automatically run in 4K and 60fps," Yasuda said. "The resolution and fps may fluctuate during gameplay, and of course to play in 4K players will need to have a 4K TV or monitor."

Just lol

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 1440p display so now I'm wondering if I'm stuck with 1080p.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm one of the few people that likes the Sigma versions but I'm not buying this if it's based off the Vita ones. Guess I'll just play the originals on my Xbox.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia DSR I would think would work.

I'd honestly use that to set the game at 4K even if I had a 1080p or 1440p screen. I assume the collection uses dynamic resolution if it "fluctuates during gameplay," so I wouldn't be surprised if it errantly scales down to a percentage of the max res and gets stuck there like Horizon did. You'd probably be stuck playing at 720p or something.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not taking anything for granted with this port, but I would assume that "hardware conditions are met" just means the game detecting your monitor res and automatically setting it to that on first boot.

The game outright baring you from changing res would be...some clown shit.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd honestly use that to set the game at 4K even if I had a 1080p or 1440p screen. I assume the collection uses dynamic resolution if it "fluctuates during gameplay," so I wouldn't be surprised if it errantly scales down to a percentage of the max res and gets stuck there like Horizon did. You'd probably be stuck playing at 720p or something.
Absolutely. I use a 1080p monitor, and supersampling makes a huge difference in image quality. Especially if this isn't going to be having any modern AA implementation.
I'm not taking anything for granted with this port, but I would assume that "hardware conditions are met" just means the game detecting your monitor res and automatically setting it to that on first boot.

The game outright baring you from changing res would be...some clown shit.
Yeah, which sounds like that may be the case, but there will be a workaround. There's zero reason to play an old game like this in 1080p even if your screen is 1080p.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I know of games that had really shitty kbm support, but none at all seems like someone's just trying to be edgy.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
So it's better to play them via backwards comparability on the Xbox Series X right?
Maybe unless PC version can be modded. There are probably options to force AA on pc version or use reshade etc. Xbsx would be the best for the straight out of the box experience probably with forced 16XAF and auto HDR hopefully.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe unless PC version can be modded. There are probably options to force AA on pc version or use reshade etc. Xbsx would be the best for the straight out of the box experience probably with forced 16XAF and auto HDR hopefully.
I would like to think it'll have 16x AF on. Though it seems console ports don't do that a lot of the time for some reason when it has no impact on performance. But it should be this way on PS4 and Xbox One.

I get not needing in depth graphics settings since it's old--everything should run it max without issue in the last 10 years. But we should be able to set resolution manually and choose AA.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I would like to think it'll have 16x AF on. Though it seems console ports don't do that a lot of the time for some reason when it has no impact on performance. But it should be this way on PS4 and Xbox One.

I get not needing in depth graphics settings since it's old--everything should run it max without issue in the last 10 years. But we should be able to set resolution manually and choose AA.
V sync, resolution and AA, AF should be standard... But I'm not sure if we even get those in this pc release. Just hope AO can work in someway because that would definitely help the first 2 games a great ton. First game is super flat this day and age.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
V sync, resolution and AA, AF should be standard... But I'm not sure if we even get those in this pc release. Just hope AO can work in someway because that would definitely help the first 2 games a great ton. First game is super flat this day and age.
Completely forgot about v-sync. The first two had a lot of tearing, Razor's Edge was very minor on PS3 and maintained frame rate very well. Shows how much better the engine became with far more enemies and all the blood effects restored. As long as it maintains a lock, there should no issues. However, I'd say getting to choose frame rate would be part of that. I imagine it only being an issue if you're shooting for 120FPS on very low end systems. But the speed of the first two is tied to the frame rate. That's not the case with RE. I don't think they'd go through the effort to decouple that given all we know, and high frame rate for RE only would be odd. Vita version speed was also tied to frame rate thinking about it.

PS3 Versions Confirmed

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I just got a reply to an email I sent Koei Tecmo Support a few weeks back (pretty much when this thread was created). Pasting it here verbatim:

Koei Tecmo Support said:
Dear Customer,

We apologize for the delay in replying to you.

We confirmed that we used the PS3 version of NINJA GAIDEN Sigma for this title.
We hope you find it helpful.

Thank you for your continued support of our products.

Sincerely,

Koei Tecmo Customer Support

I suppose that should help assuage some fears about the collection using Vita graphics.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I just got a reply to an email I sent Koei Tecmo Support a few weeks back (pretty much when this thread was created). Pasting it here verbatim:

I suppose that should help assuage some fears about the collection using Vita graphics.
Thanks for that. But are you sure customer support can really tell or confirm something like this ? Wouldn't it be safer when the devs confirm it themselves ? Just guessing here.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Racist Rhetoric
lolololololol the person in customer support with the likely fake Americanized name is not a reliable source.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
That's great to hear, but that means they used the wrong promo pictures showing inferior graphics or what? Why would they even do that?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for that. But are you sure customer support can really tell or confirm something like this ? Wouldn't it be safer when the devs confirm it themselves ? Just guessing here.
The developers have already said in interviews that they are using the Sigma versions of the games. The latest batch of screenshots shows PS3 graphical assets. Customer support confirms they're using the PS3 version of the game.

Maybe I wouldn't trust one of these things in isolation, but short of releasing new footage (which is inevitable sooner or later) there's not much else they can do at the moment.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The developers have already said in interviews that they are using the Sigma versions of the games. The latest batch of screenshots shows PS3 graphical assets. Customer support confirms they're using the PS3 version of the game.

Maybe I wouldn't trust one of these things in isolation, but short of releasing new footage (which is inevitable sooner or later) there's not much else they can do at the moment.
Yeah true. But I think there is still doubt that it really uses the PlayStation 3 assets. I think we only know when this releases.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah true. But I think there is still doubt that it really uses the PlayStation 3 assets. I think we only know when this releases.
I think that's probably why we can trust what customer support has to say. This was a widespread concern due to marketing it seems, and they took quite a while to reply. More than likely, they received a lot of concerning emails, and the company wanted to confirm and respond accordingly to many emails.

It sounds like a situation where one division doesn't know what the other was doing. Normal corporate stuff.So they had to actually get official word first.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I think that's probably why we can trust what customer support has to say. This was a widespread concern due to marketing it seems, and they took quite a while to reply. More than likely, they received a lot of concerning emails, and the company wanted to confirm and respond accordingly to many emails.

It sounds like a situation where one division doesn't know what the other was doing. Normal corporate stuff.So they had to actually get official word first.
To be specific, I sent the e-mail their way on the 27th of March. So they took about 2 weeks to reply.

OP
OP
Mullet2000

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

I mean, I hope it's true but we have more evidence pointing to the Vita version right now than we do otherwise. I don't think we can rule out Vita until either the game is out, or we have long form video footage.