• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Ok, but that feature is just ripe for abuse as today illustrated.

The way Mixer does it is just plays your past broadcasts when you're offline. Twitch allows you to stream other channels YOU decide on when you're offline.

But leaving it up to an algorithm is absolutely stupid and just a target for trolling.
Oh absolutely. People got used to YouTube featuring and fitting alt-right or conspiracy garbage around your channel in every possible spot, but I feel it is not exactly a great model to adopt. If anything it should be opt-in or certainly disabled if you host someone or prefer something else (like playing your VODs), which I hope it is. Twitch is currently planning a roll out of several things, so this is likely one of them. Still obviously petty to test it on Ninja first with him having no control over it, even if it makes business sense

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"and if I were him I might well have taken the payday as well "

EVERYONE would have taken that kind of money...

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
A little sketchy. No, "be sure to ask your parents before texting me and signing up for some marketing."

9. What Should Parents Know About Children? The Service is a general audience platform and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children younger than the age of thirteen (13) as required by U.S. law. We will delete any personal information collected that we later determine to be from a user younger than the age of thirteen (13). If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of thirteen (13) and believe he or she has disclosed personal information to us, please contact us via email
Community enables direct, meaningful communication between community leaders and their community members. Imagine getting to know and interact with your audience as individuals—with names and faces, interests and opinions, hometowns and pronouns. Imagine reaching every single one of them. Imagine being social, without the conflicting commercial interests, toxicity, and data privacy* issues of social media. Imagine speaking and responding authentically. Imagine building deep and delightful relationships. Imagine being truly seen and heard. Imagine belonging. Imagine Community. *Your privacy is important. And it's not for sale. ‍ - We don't sell ads against communities. - We don't sell data to third parties. - We don't share Community Member data profiles with other Community Leaders.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's quite sketchy.
I'm certainly not gonna be all "he's a paedo" like some people are no doubt gonna start saying, but it's a bad business decision the I can't see not biting him in the ass in the future.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
A little sketchy. No, "be sure to ask your parents before texting me and signing up for some marketing."
This one also
Community also retains the right to "monitor and save messages and data collected with the service" along with whatever information you voluntarily submit, and can "pool your data, analyze it, compile, index, republish, and generally use your data for machine learning, to improve the service, promote the service, and for all other legal purposes." It also retains the right to share your data with other clients, at its discretion.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
They probably need to buy more streamers soon, the ripple effect seems to be mostly gone already with only 3 streams being above 100 viewers right now

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Now he's having dinner with Xbox vp and hanging out w master chief at 343. He's Microsoft's golden goose. Confirmed

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
There no doubt in my mind now that he's going to be on every ad on tv for halo and the new Xbox. That's why he got paid so much because all those expenditures are included

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
So, he just got a deal from Addidas. Clearly the focus is on branding and not sustaining an unhealthy life. Which is good for him.

What confuses me is that his product rarely ever changes. His announcements are literally just, hey guys I'm making more money and more merchandise that will make me more money. He never actually announces new content

Oct 27, 2017
Good website with stats regarding Mixer/Ninja viewership:

The concurrent viewers are slowing down, but the website has no data before Ninja's move, so it is hard to gauge how Ninja is boosting the Mixer's overall numbers compared to before.

In the hindsight, Amazon's 1b investment looks like a bargain for the platform with all events, viewers and infrastructure.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
It's a process.

Any oscillation is not newsworthy. I expect a new streamer exclusive and new spike soon.

Exactly like EGS it takes time and we will see if it is a failure or a success in a couple of years

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As I said already yesterday in the locked thread, Microsoft can grow mixer with Scarlett when they offer a good streaming solution for console gamers and games that doesn't require a PC setup.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As I said already yesterday in the locked thread, Microsoft can grow mixer with Scarlett when they offer a good streaming solution for console gamers and games that doesn't require a PC setup.

I mean, they already have streaming with a bunch of off the shelf webcams that aren't MS branded. It can get better, sure, but it's good.

Oct 27, 2017

Mixer has gained streamers in the same period as it lost views (at least based on this report). So Mixer's problem is attracting viewers, there are plenty of streamers to choose from right now. Having a bunch of console people with 0-3 viewers isn't going to help Mixer.

And I don't believe that you can have a good streaming setup with TV and Controller only. You definitely want a separate screen for monitoring chat, communication with friends and stream status.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mixer has gained streamers in the same period as it lost views (at least based on this report). So Mixer's problem is attracting viewers, there are plenty of streamers to choose from right now. Having a bunch of console people with 0-3 viewers isn't going to help Mixer.

And I don't believe that you can have a good streaming setup with TV and Controller only. You definitely want a separate screen for monitoring chat, communication with friends and stream status.
:(
I guess that's it for Mixer then.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Surprising how fast how much Ninja's concurrent viewership peaks have dropped. From once 36k regularly to now 24k at best, but usually between 10-15k. At this rate I would be surprised if even 3000 people of his one million subs will re-subscribe once it costs money this month. Sadly we don't know and he won't say

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
makes reading the first few pages kinda funny. the ninja exclusivity deal did not change nearly as much as MS hoped it would.
It's a process.

Any oscillation is not newsworthy. I expect a new streamer exclusive and new spike soon.

Exactly like EGS it takes time and we will see if it is a failure or a success in a couple of years
you are comparing apples to oranges. EGS exclusivity means that to experience the game you have to get it from that store, MS moneyhatting a streamer only means that if you want to watch this specific person react said games you need to move, but you can always just watch someone else play that same content. Even ninja was dropping in views significantly every time he did not play fortnite, his fanbase was there for the game, not for the streamer.
The situation was comparable if MS banned the streaming of their games on Twitch and only allowed them to be steamed on Mixer.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Realize this, most big streamers are pc gamers which is because the skill sealing is higher and more entertaining for the eye

Aug 16, 2019
UK
makes reading the first few pages kinda funny. the ninja exclusivity deal did not change nearly as much as MS hoped it would.

you are comparing apples to oranges. EGS exclusivity means that to experience the game you have to get it from that store, MS moneyhatting a streamer only means that if you want to watch this specific person react said games you need to move, but you can always just watch someone else play that same content. Even ninja was dropping in views significantly every time he did not play fortnite, his fanbase was there for the game, not for the streamer.
The situation was comparable if MS banned the streaming of their games on Twitch and only allowed them to be streamed on Mixer.
I am not comparing apple to oranges. They are both services that lack offer and both will money-hat more.

Ninja is clearly just the first

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. As someone said earlier, It's not a sprint. MS will keep pushing and investing in Mixer. I'm sure they have big plans for the platform.

Deleted member 11479

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't he a Halo guy in the past? I'm sure Microsoft has a bigger, long-term plan to use him for marketing when the next Halo and Gears come out, rather than just have him streaming on Mixer.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Ninja has made enough money to set himself up for life but pushed himself closer to being irrelevant on the internet.

Or maybe that should read:

Ninja has made enough money to set himself up for life AND pushed himself closer to being irrelevant on the internet.

Double win. Who needs internet clout when you've got it in the bank? Many streamers probably dream of retiring before they hit 30.

As for Microsoft, it hasn't worked out so far but they had to try.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes no matter how hard you try things might not pan out as you expected . Anyways good on them for trying and continuing to try and not giving up that easy . Hopefully it will pay off at the end .