• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
"Ninja is an absolute legend, and someone to whom we owe a lot for making gaming what it is today. "

Making gaming what it is today.. I mean, really, we owe him that?

Think about it this way, this is a quote from someone likely incredibly disconnected from the gaming sphere, the fact that ninja managed to, despite everything, penetrate an audience that shouldn't even know what the hell twitch even is means the guy has really managed to make a dent on popular culture.

Sure, you can be famous around your little pop culture bubble, but you truly are a celebrity when even the most disconnected person outside your target audience know who you are. Ninja seems to have clawed his way there, much to our complaints.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with his spot on the list, not all of the stuff being said though. I also feel like twitch is going through a down phase right now, viewership across the board is way lower than it was recently. Perhaps the BR boom is waning some.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
As worse as Pewdiepie is, isn't he like 70 times more influential than Ninja? Ninja is a has been trying to branch into mainstream culture...

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As worse as Pewdiepie is, isn't he like 70 times more influential than Ninja? Ninja is a has been trying to branch into mainstream culture...
He already was in 2016.

http://time.com/collection-post/4302406/felix-kjellberg-pewdiepie-2016-time-100/

What world do you live in where the USA President, regardless of it currently being Trump, is NOT one of the most influential people in the world?
The page on him is nothing but positive notes.

Sman1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hmmm that is a curious choice...I am sure humanity as a whole had a lot more influential people in 2018 than Ninja. Although, I have to agree, he was in alot of places last year, from music to shows and his presence in pop culture became ubiquitous. He definitely influenced a lot of teenagers and younger kids but I dont think any of the celebs he collaborated with actually knew about him or cared lol (doing it more as a marketing stunt). End of the day though, good for him - he's doing what he enjoys and making millions. You definitely have to have grit if you want to make it to the top and not have a mental breakdown. So in conclusion, congrats to him!

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, every time I've seen his viewer numbers over the past few months, they've been low relative to their height.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
"single-handedly blending gaming amd pop culture"

Webcomic_xkcd_-_Wikipedian_protester.png

"Someone to who we owe a lot for making gaming what it is today."

Confused-Ron-Swanson-Is-Speechless.gif
I lol'd

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's influential in the same way the Kardashians are. He isn't particularly skilful and doesn't offer many unique insights - he's popular and so a perfect platform for product placements, that's about it.

Sman1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
On another note, it is sad what mainstream gaming is considered now :( I just went to the YouTube gaming page and well....that looked like a landfill. Although I prefer the gaming industry to be how it was in the early 2000s, it has grown to the point where people in the industry can make more money than most celebs (highly succesful individuals) and the industry itself generates more revenue than any other form of entertainment. I think growing up sucks guys Hahahaha, my bad, I think the reason I prefer gaming in the early 2000s more is because I was a kid back then and had no real responsibilities. So I was capable of making my life revolve around games but as a recent graduate now responsibilities make you view the world in a different light - same for gaming.

Anyway, my bad for that weird young adult crisis post but I had to get it off my chest lol ty

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
He's influential in the same way the Kardashians are. He isn't particularly skilful and doesn't offer many unique insights - he's popular and so a perfect platform for product placements, that's about it.

Even then, does he do anything on the level of the attention Kim brought to to the Armenian Genocide?

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Influential isn't necessarily a good influence. But I believe he is a serious contender for the title in the gaming scene.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, there's a gulf in perception of gaming between enthusiast forums and the rest.

It's not due in particular to gatekeeping, imo -- it's just degree of investment and interest and the fields of interest. We here on Era are pretty focused on culture and industry insider perspective, most people that consume whatever media they consume generally don't give a damn about who made the thing or how it was made and what it does for anyone but themselves. That's not new or particularly alarming, but it is perspective that easily gets lost when you cross the threshold.

Ninja very visibly grabbed the attention of a lot of people that aren't enthusiast forum types and I think that's fine. Certainly don't agree with his take on why he doesn't work with women but that does seem, by my own benefit of the doubt, to stem from some personal details about his life he's not comfortable with making public and maybe not a mean-spirited defect in his personality.

Jan 10, 2018
"We owe him for what gaming is today". What the hell does that even mean? Gaming is pretty much the same as it was before Ninja went viral. Or have I missed some big changes in how the medium behaves?

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft would be crazy if they don't use Ninja to promote the next Halo game...... (The dude used to stream Halo in the past if I'm not mistake)