• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Can we have a sticky post or something that says: "GaaS does NOT mean MTX, or online only games?"

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Playground does this between games, they take all the data from the previous game. What events they completed, success rate, map traversal data, car purchases, playtime, order of completion etc and they use that to inform the design of the next game. A few of MS's studios do it like 343, Coalition, Rare etc I wouldn't assume it's GAAS related, just a valuable tool for future games. For example in Hellblade heatmap data for how the player moved around the environment in puzzle sections is very useful or the average time to complete a puzzle, at what point did players drop off due to pacing, repetition or difficulty. It's a very handy tool, I assume a lot of other studios use it. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if one of Ninja Theory's current projects was online like the cancelled Razer project, but this job posting doesn't lead us to believe they are making an online or gaas game. There aren't any other job postings that would lead us to think that, with them hiring quite regularly recently you would expect it to come up if that was the case.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you go from Hellblade to GAAS? I refuse to believe this is a GAAS title. There's simply no way they've departed from a narrative focus for GAAS, not when they've been talking up narrative for the past 3 years. And celebrated it with the release and success of HB.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how this is directly connected for game to be GAAS. Even if it is, that should be set like from beginning of development, not in near final/final phase?

ach er

Oct 27, 2017
France.
Data analytics doesn't imply gaas, and the job offer don't say anything about monetization.
They will just track the consumer behaviour and that is a common thing used in all industries understand what they users, they could use this info for put microtransactions ( i'm a gaas) or they could use it as a feedback for a new game . So i think the title of the thread is a little alarmist xD.
+1000.
Game analytics has existed for years, predating GaaS, to examine player behaviour and adapt game design cater to every player type.
Just an example (from TR:Underworld, a 2008 game) : https://youtu.be/A89ZDjF51Nk

So there's no direct link between analytics and GaaS. Thread title extremely reaching and alarmist.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Data analytics doesn't imply gaas, and the job offer don't say anything about monetization.
They will just track the consumer behaviour and that is a common thing used in all industries understand what they users, they could use this info for put microtransactions ( i'm a gaas) or they could use it as a feedback for a new game . So i think the title of the thread is a little alarmist xD.
While it's true that even singleplayer games that are one-and-done use analytics and telemetry, it's not super common to do "daily KPI reports" to "drive improvements for the project" (which sounds like the same project that just got launched) on a wholly traditional game.

It's also relatively rare to call out that you need to be adaptive to a highly changing business while making a one and done traditional game.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
It makes sense to have someone like that if it's a multiplayer game that Ninja Theory want to support for a while. I just hope this isn't something they need for a single player game and the KPI isn't daily profit from MTX.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the "daily" part pretty much means the game will be updated quite frequently (not fixes), so this sounds more like Ubisoft GaaS than The Witcher 3 GaaS.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this sort of job common in the industry even for non-GaaS type games?

I know for years game developers have had a bunch of staff dedicated to monitor and react to how people play their games pre-release, it only makes sense that they'd like to analyze this data post-release

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to the OP jumping to a conclusion knowing what the result would be. The title was successful, and somehow not only jumped to a conclusion but is trying to make GaaS into something bad...

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
because of the fear of microtransactions and GaaS

it may be unfounded, of course; we can't know until the game launches

Isn't there a post somewhere about Ninja Theory having creative control over their games? This could literally just be a multiplayer game they're developing, or a multiplayer component in one of their games.
As someone else said very early on the first page, Ninja Theory is more than one team of developers.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not at all. Experience boosts is something I haven't seen in a Microsoft First party game. Unless you mean VIP pass for Forza?

Forza absolutely counts. Crimson Dragon does it in a roundabout way. The vast majority of Microsoft published games this gen have some kind of GaaS hooks, even if it's not specifically an XP boost.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to the OP jumping to a conclusion knowing what the result would be. The title was successful, and somehow not only jumped to a conclusion but is trying to make GaaS into something bad...
Yes, my grand history of playing and posting about Games as a Service games and modern business trends definitely shows my strong bias against Games as a Service titles, along with my well defined history of painting Microsoft as cartoon villains.

There's definitely no way I just happen to look at tons of job postings and notice specific trends about this stuff emerging. For example, I was super far reaching with all my early Bethesda job postings from 2-3 years ago suggesting that almost all the ZeniMax studios would be transitioning to online and/or Games as a Service titles. As we all know, they're singleplayer and singleplayer only from each and every one of them.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NT are great devs... but, so were Lionhead. Im just hoping, despite what Phil Spencer has stated, they give these guys creative freedom and it doesn't turn into a game where they forced them to make Gaas... and it underperforms and get punished for it.
Its my same fear with Bioware
The age of GaaS legs scare me, its so easy for publishers to say Game A or B isnt performing to our expectations, shut it down, you're all fired. Its easy for them to forget the human element, that is to say people with families work in studios.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I almost want to apply for this. I would love to work in this field. I'm an analyst in a director-level role in a very different industry. I think about switching to the games industry because it has always been my dream. However, I almost certainly couldn't do it without starting at the bottom and I wouldn't want to turn my wife's world upside down.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, my grand history of playing and posting about Games as a Service games and modern business trends definitely shows my strong bias against Games as a Service titles, along with my well defined history of painting Microsoft as cartoon villains.

There's definitely no way I just happen to look at tons of job postings and notice specific trends about this stuff emerging. For example, I was super far reaching with all my early Bethesda job postings from 2-3 years ago suggesting that almost all the ZeniMax studios would be transitioning to online and/or Games as a Service titles.

Lets be honest, we all knew how this thread would turn out, and id be surprised if you didnt think it would. You saw a job posting, came to a conclusion, and you chose to title it something that would induce immediate reactions.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am curious what ppl think what gaas really is. Because it seems that ppl have a very different understanding of it.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

There's definitely no way I just happen to look at tons of job postings and notice specific trends about this stuff emerging. For example, I was super far reaching with all my early Bethesda job postings from 2-3 years ago suggesting that almost all the ZeniMax studios would be transitioning to online and/or Games as a Service titles. As we all know, they're singleplayer and singleplayer only from each and every one of them.
And you would have gotten away with it too! If it wasn't for some clever posters in this thread.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
We've gotten to the point where GaaS basically just means "it's a video game" so I'll reserve judgement to the game(s) is actually announced.

I am curious what ppl think what gaas really is. Because it seems that ppl have a very different understanding of it.

Yeah. Most everyone on here selectively uses the term to fit their biases.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sound like an automatic GAAS to me based off one job posting, but interested in whatever they're working on nonetheless.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
GaaS primarily means ongoing support (ideally with the hope of building player engagement post-launch). It's also a pretty ideal model for longer-term job security for a studio. No, it doesn't inherently mean gatcha or micro-transaction mechanics. It's more common, but it doesn't even need to be multiplayer. I really hope more hobbyists get a grip on these terms.
Youd think the people who talk about games all the time would know about what they mean at least.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Lets be honest, we all knew how this thread would turn out, and id be surprised if you didnt think it would. You saw a job posting, came to a conclusion, and you chose to title it something that would induce immediate reactions.

No. Nirolak pretty clearly spreads whatever news they find in my experience. The people that are defensive about this are coming to their own conclusions.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
didnt take long for the ms bashing.

nothing implies gaas.
c'mon son

OP is one of the most knowledgeable people on this board
Isn't there a post somewhere about Ninja Theory having creative control over their games?
publishers always say this stuff, even EA. you can say "our developers is free to do what they want" and then simultaneously design bonus schemes and studio targets in a way to very clearly incentivizes certain business models

take those comments from publishers for what they are, PR bullshit