• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Instead of professional voice actors, Ninja Theory and Neon Giant have allegedly opted to use AI voice acting in their games.
theascentaifeatured.jpg

A new report from Good Luck Have Fun reveals that multiple triple-A game developers are using an AI program for voice acting in lieu of human talent. The company behind the technology is Altered AI, which contains a library of vocal performances, including around 20 professional voice actors.

Though it shares similarities with text-to-speech, which reads sentences back in audio, AI voice acting is considered more ethically dicey. As there are tools that can change a voice actor's tone and voice type, there have been concerns that the technology could be used to supplant voice actors entirely.

NDAs mean that only two developers are explicitly named in the report: Hellblade developer Ninja Theory allegedly has a partnership with Altered. Additionally, Neon Giant reportedly used Altered for the voice acting in its 2021 game, The Ascent.

"These new technologies offer exciting new opportunities but can also pose potential threats to performers' livelihoods. It is crucial that performers control exploitation of their digital self, be properly compensated for its use, and be able to provide informed consent," wrote SAG-AFTRA.

What does AI mean for voice actors and their image?

For Lowenthal, the worry is expressly about software like this being used to exploit actors' talents in games that they otherwise wouldn't be compensated for performing in.

"I know an actor who does a lot of performance capture and voice work and she has seen her very specific movement show up in games she never even worked on," he said. "This is a scary precedent that has already been set, and I want to start a conversation with AI companies about how we could protect actors, and again, the ecosystem of storytelling."

The technology is typically used for prototyping purposes, according to Altered CEO Ioannis Agiomyrgiannakis, who argued that his company was doing for voice acting what YouTube has done for video.

"When you have a dialogue, you have a level of imagination. But when you take the dialogue to the voice actors, it comes back and doesn't sound as dynamic as you wanted it to," explained Agiomyrgiannakis. "We provide an intermediate step where they can prototype the dialogue and have a checkpoint before they hit the studio."

More at the link: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/busin...rtedly-using-ai-voice-acting-tech-over-people

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I cannot wait till AI voice acting tech improves a ton. It'll be huge for indies, think we're really going to start seeing mini-AAA games from indie developers in the near future thanks to tools like this and Metahuman. Glad to see so much investment in it.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah. From a purely pragmatic perspective it makes complete sense to use it for incidental dialogue at the very least.

Strange times we're heading into as AI advances.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, for huge games like RPGs, i don't really see an issue with NPCs being AI generated. There's thousands of lines to be read, and AI likely makes that process much faster/cheaper.

But for main/secondary characters, voice actors all the way.

As someone else mentioned, indies will likely benefit from this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck any dev that does this. "let's use AI as a digital scab to replace real voice actors!"

ESPECIALLY in the AAA sphere, you have no excuse. Hire actual talent or don't make the fucking game.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not too surprised about this after Vader's voice in newer Star Wars stuff is allegedly AI. Apparently James Earl Jones recorded the bible in the 80s and they use that for learning.

Didn't expect it so soon for games though.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
I cannot wait till AI voice acting tech improves a ton. It'll be huge for indies, think we're really going to start seeing mini-AAA games from indie developers in the near future thanks to all these tools. Glad to see so much investment in it.

Yeah, I'm not going to be excited that a bunch of people are about to be deprived of work. You do you though.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I assume voices used for learning are consented from actors, and not lifted whole sale from their previous work?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Fuck any dev that does this. "let's use AI as a digital scab to replace real voice actors!"

ESPECIALLY in the AAA sphere, you have no excuse. Hire actual talent or don't make the fucking game.

It's already out on the market.

This tech is already out there. If you've played The Ascent, a recent twin-stick shooter set in a cyberpunk world, you've already played a game that features AI voices.

Source (Doesn't unfurl links):

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't play games for the voice acting, I play them for the gameplay. If this helps curb the ridiculous costs of AAA development somewhat, and helps smaller devs where they would previously have had text only, then so be it. But you know, I'm the sort of person who hates cutscenes so.. don't think my opinion has any validity lol.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I cannot wait till AI voice acting tech improves a ton. It'll be huge for indies, think we're really going to start seeing mini-AAA games from indie developers in the near future thanks to tools like this and Metahuman. Glad to see so much investment in it.
Not when this is happening:

"I know an actor who does a lot of performance capture and voice work and she has seen her very specific movement show up in games she never even worked on," he said. "This is a scary precedent that has already been set, and I want to start a conversation with AI companies about how we could protect actors, and again, the ecosystem of storytelling."

Raigor

May 14, 2020

With games costing $100-150 million to make, this is one way to lower the costs.

Algorithms and AI are already being used for other stuff in games.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's extremely shitty but also was inevitable that developers would try and cut costs with VA. Especially for the incidental NPC dialogue that you would overhear that I imagine will be the main use in the near term. The technology is admittedly interesting but it comes at the cost of people losing work opportunities so fuck it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for indie devs using this but AAA devs seems rather cheap.

That said, maybe AI tech will get good enough that voice actors can charge for their voice to be used?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Anything to save money and not employ unionized labor in a highly capitalistic industry.

And then the same people will cry and complain about how they aren't being treated fairly by their publishers and how they should unionize.

I'm all for collective bargaining, but to act like YOUR part of the industry deserves to unionize while the people you hire to be in your games DON'T is just absolute garbage. Everyone deserves fair treatment, and that includes actors.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's shitty for talent to have less opportunity, but I do understand the move to A.I. in order to cut down on increased costs.

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, AI will be used more and more for stuff like this to cut costs. I hate it but it's just the reality of things.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
It's just a tool, like ai foliage/map generation. Did people care that that was putting environmental artists out of work? Ai will most likely touch all artistic aspects at some point. Can see with the ai art stuff happening now

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Was this not known about The Ascent?

No way The Ascent gets all the voices in their game with the budget they had.
Was Ninja Theory using it for Hellblade 2 or some other project?

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
With AI generation does the content they source get any royalty? Like, are they just grabbing data from wherever they want to generate new voice lines?

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
It's just a tool, like ai foliage/map generation. Did people care that that was putting environmental artists out of work? Ai will most likely touch all artistic aspects at some point. Can see with the ai art stuff happening now

There still are environment artists, what do you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.