• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I love the combat of Hellblade. Felt in control and was tense always. Without like tons and tons of combo's and button combinations.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The actual combat animations are really good when you get the rhythm of battles.
709BD43B30FF1DA6CF523B420B01B417BD2F9A11
Yep, I was surprised by how rhythmic the combat is. Kinda wished they added a survival mode or something.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
In-engine means exactly what it implies, it's not deceptive. This is the fidelity you can expect during real-time cutscenes, which isn't worlds apart from gameplay.

My hope is that the first game's weaknesses (weak, repetitive puzzles being the biggest offender) were a result of a small budget. I'm excited to find out, and it's not like the price of entry will be high.
No, it's not. This is a great showcase but in no shape or form reflective of the end product. This polished up trailer basically says nothing about the actual game. It's more akin to an in-engine music video that is there to sell the atmosphere and tone of the game. I don't even think that even one scene will make it 1:1 into the game.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I love the combat of Hellblade. Felt in control and was tense always. Without like tons and tons of combos and button combinations

Actually, there's quite a few attacks and combo mechanics that are never really explained by the game, and if you play around enough, you get a feel for it. It's not as shallow as people think by any means but you do have to go out of your way to experiment to see what the game is really capable of on that front.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what's with the downplaying of NT in this thread. They've been on the cutting edge of animation and mocap since very early on, and literally made tech that's in widespread use in gaming today, especially among AAA.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The tech is always there, but yeah this TRAILER does looks pretty impressive.

Putting emphasis on the word trailer cause people just don't fucking learn, we've seen this shit countless times.
Remember that real time Uncharted 4 rendering which claimed to be running on a actual PS4 in 60fps? It never fucking happened.

Honestly sick of all these ''THIS studio sets a new record/benchmark/standard in animation & graphics!!!'' threads when the game isn't even out.

Not thread whining of course, I get it, people are excited about what they see, but can't we at least wait until launch to see if the tech actually made it before we even celebrate?

So much Uncharted 4 & Last of Us 2 tech threads and now Hellblade 2....and then when you mention UC4 people either dismiss or try to justify it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It's a trailer. A great trailer, though, but just a trailer. Let's revisit this thread once we see actual gameplay.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Best combat animation I've seen in a game (and it has amazing graphics and cloth to boot) is For Honor. Amazing looking and animating game. Incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not. This is a great showcase but in no shape or form reflective of the end product. This polished up trailer basically says nothing about the actual game. It's more akin to an in-engine music video that is there to sell the atmosphere and tone of the game. I don't even think that even one scene will make it 1:1 into the game.

Whether any of those scenes make it into the game is irrelevant, and you've touched upon that yourself by saying it's meant to sell atmosphere and tone, which is about what you might expect of an introduction. We're getting a look at how the game should look during cutscenes (hence "in-engine"), as well as what to expect from next gen as a comparison to the current gen, and, in addition, NT made it pretty clear that Heilung's music would play a big part of the game's soundtrack. It was a good trailer for both the game and the platfrom.

Oct 28, 2017
Hope they can meet this standard because it's the best video game animation I've ever seen by far. Utterly jaw dropping.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Whether any of those scenes make it into the game is irrelevant, and you've touched upon that yourself by saying it's meant to sell atmosphere and tone, which is about what you might expect of an introduction. We're getting a look at how the game should look during cutscenes (hence "in-engine"), as well as what to expect from next gen as a comparison to the current gen, and, in addition, NT made it pretty clear that Heilung's music would play a big part of the game's soundtrack. It was a good trailer for both the game and the platfrom.
The question is whether this trailer will reflect the actual game, because it's in-engine/realtime. And I don't think it will. Cutscenes or not. At least nothing points to it because we haven't seen anything from the game yet. The scenes are completely artificial, custom made for the trailer years before the game actually comes out.
This does nothing but sell the tone, which it does it well.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I cant believe people are really trying to compare TLOU2 and this trailer. LOL! There's not a single current game in this generation that can even touch this trailer at the moment. Give credit when credit is due. Some of you kats are legit embarrassing.
I think it's more of a case of these folks don't think the final game will look nearly that good. There's one thing you must remember is that Naughty Dog fans this gen have already experienced first hand whan an in-engine teaser to an upcoming game looks like and what downgrades happen when its implemented in the final game, and what concessions are made.

You mention "trailer" and that's the thing - we don't know the parameters of how this video was produced or if it will 100% represent what to expect from the final cut of the game or the next generation in general. Naughty Dog is one of the studios known for their industry leading animation, and The Last of Us Part II initially had heads of other studios questioning the authenticity of its animation work in a demo scenario and some other people figuring out just how they could achieve what we've seen from them. Their work is that impressive, so don't be surprised if people apply the same doubt to yet another in-engine teaser.

Daily Reminder:

THIS

NEVER

HAPPENED.

2566743-1.gif

and the final game is far from 60FPS
Yup! I used this example a few pages back. Don't stand there and believe everything you're being sold about visuals and animation, especially on the cusp of a new generation.

Naughty Dog's facial animations (including TLOU 2) are only as good as DMC5, Gears 5, Hellblade, Detroit, Injustice 2, Death Stranding. They're really not this untouchable studio that some have built up in their heads. They're just really, really good but inline with other really good studios.
Why do developers outside of Sony also put Naughty Dog on a pedestal then when it comes to real time graphics and animation? Why do we see heads of studios attempting to dispute the authenticity of Naughty Dog's work, and not the work of other studios like Capcom, The Coalition, Ninja Theory, Quantic Dream, NetherRealm or KojiPro? This is not the time to attempt to dismiss Naughty Dog as "just really, really good" about six months before they release another game that will have developers outside of Sony and sites like Digital Foundry saying things like "setting benchmarks" with actual results to base it off and not just an in-engine teaser, and imagining "what could they do with no baseline other than next-gen hardware".

Last edited:

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's safe to say that in-game, some of these assets will not be present in the capacity that this trailer presents them, since there is nothing being calculated here other than visuals. But given the likely specs of the XSEX and Ninja Theory's proven ability to deliver amazing visuals, it's also safe to say that this is not far off from what the end result will be in-game.

I hate to repeat already-said points, but look at what NT achieved with the first HB game. Or with HS. They are REALLY good at this, and that's probably why their trailer was chosen to showcase the new Xbox.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
They always have. It's literally direct facial capture if you watch any of their BTS videos.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You missed my point, it's not about studio or their record.

It's about the game not even being released. The reason why you can use Hellblade 1 as an example is because the game IS out, but Hellblade 2 isn't.
The "point" is you can use Hellblade 1's trailers and see that the final product matched (and exceeded it!) in the end. The game that was released was everything the trailers were and MORE.

Same for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. And Heavenly Sword.

You can use all the games in their library - and compare their reveal trailers to their final products - and accurately assess a pattern of their promises and fulfillment.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The "point" is you can use Hellblade 1's trailers and see that the final product matched (and exceeded it!) in the end. The game that was released was everything the trailers were and MORE.

You can use all the games in their library - and compare their reveal trailers to their final products - and accurately assess a pattern of their promises and fulfillment.

Mad respect to Ninja Theory but you can not use the past to predict the future, it's not guarantee.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I've played it, calm your horses soldier. I'm just skeptical about early in-engine trailers of next gen games. It's like some of y'all have forgotten when this was supposed to be "real time"...

I don't trust anything until gameplay is shown. It's my policy this gen and it will be my policy going into next gen as well.

Yeah be ready for downgrade "real time" engine... I remember The division, not only for the rendering but also animation, like Days Gone.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mad respect to Ninja Theory but you can not use the past to predict the future, it's not guarantee.
Nobody can predict the future, but patterns do exist. There is never a guarantee, but for that same reason it's equally valid to say that there's no valid evidence that Ninja Theory won't deliver. They aren't Ubisoft, who also has a pattern of falsely demonstrating what their games are capable of.

We can judge them based on their past and make an educated guess at how they'll handle things. When this trailer came out, you had people in this thread claiming the video was live action (it isn't), claiming it was just a CG trailer (it isn't), claiming it was pre-rendered (it isn't), and saying it wasn't running in real-time (it is).

So... yeah, time will reveal all, but we make guesses and predictions based on the evidence we DO have. If the game is further revealed and suddenly lacking in visual fidelity, we can adjust expectations accordingly, but until that happens - and based on decades of the studio's documented history and widely open philosophy of game creation and technology sharing - it's pretty valid to feel they can pull off what their trailer has done in real-time for the completed game.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What game currently released looks like this in realtime?

Aka the studio that has raised the bar for what can be done for not just cinematics in game but performance capture in general for two gens in a row...
Don't get me wrong, I am impressed by the visuals in display here. What doesn't impress me is people trying to downplay NT.
They always have. It's literally direct facial capture if you watch any of their BTS videos.
But it's the best this technique has ever looked, IMO.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Given their pedigree, it's not surprising that they could pull off something like this. They've always been at the top of the animation game

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
NT has always been a solid studio for short experience such as Heavenly Sword, Enslaved and Hellblade. But when it comes to execution that's where they fall behind and why they are stuck as 8/10 studio on a scale. It takes more than beautiful animation and visuals to hook me and others to start pay attention to this studio.

Oct 28, 2017
That seems like bias more than anything. Nothing in the the market matches this video ATM. DS technically doesn't even look as good as the original reveal trailer when you compare that scene to the final game and how the complexity of Notman Teedus's model was reduced.
the second gif gives me big uncanny vibes, even more if you watch it frame by frame

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

I think they key here is that we don't know how next gen games looks like and in the end the trailer is just a video clip with not clear indication on what's the game like, you have to just asume it'll play just like the first one.

But as you said, their games always looked like their trailers.

I think it looks incredible but personally I feel less excited about it because to me that was just a song clip, are we going to see that clip in the game? I wouldn't be surprised but I feel like this was made just for the announcement.
Also I don't think Hellblade needed a straight sequel but we'll see what they'll tell.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
To be honest it looked like just real footage for the face close ups.

Didn't they do that often in the first Hellblade. Just use real footage with heavy post processing.