• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
sounds like a personal problem.

I'm not sure that's necessary in a discussion about previous gen visuals limited to 2013 hardware features in comparison to next-gen visuals on 2020 hardware. It's silly to suggest otherwise. Now Hellblade 2 vs TLOU 3 is a discussion worth having.

Yea, I don't quite understand this comparison either. It is a generational leap in HW power. It is at this point comparing apples to oranges.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I've played it, calm your horses soldier. I'm just skeptical about early in-engine trailers of next gen games. It's like some of y'all have forgotten when this was supposed to be "real time"...

I don't trust anything until gameplay is shown. It's my policy this gen and it will be my policy going into next gen as well.

That Division demo was running on a high end PC.

the Hellblade 2 trailer was running in real
Time on a Series X devkit.

Huge difference

Yea, I don't quite understand this comparison either. It is a generational leap in HW power. It is at this point comparing apples to oranges.

The hardware is really immaterial to this discussion. This topic is about 'raising the bar' in output animation thus far. It's very feasible that someone could outdo them any moment from now, but for now, they've released a trailer that's set a new high water mark.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The hardware is really immaterial to this discussion. This topic is about 'raising the bar' in output animation thus far. It's very feasible that someone could outdo them any moment from now, but for now, they've released a trailer that's set a new high water mark.

Is technology immaterial though (given some are comparing it with TLoU 2, which features stunning mo-capped animations btw)?

I know what you are saying and yes, NT have set the bar by virtue of being the first (who have sufficient resources to be able to pull this off). As such, there is nothing wrong with the title of the thread.

Of course, cometh the time for studios like ND, Remedy, SSM, R*, DICE etc to show off their "in-engine" cinematics, new benchmarks may well be set.

Personally, I put my stock in gameplay fidelity and animations and it is here where improvements to animation quality must be commensurate with the upcoming fidelity (for realistic style visual aesthetics). The closer fidelity gets close to reality, the better the brain is at discerning the smallest of flaws. The stakes are so much higher from here on out.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
BasicEnormousAnemoneshrimp-size_restricted.gif
BFSk8k2.gif

giphy.gif

YFFP314.gif

Hellblade sets the bar for visual fidelity, bar-none.... But the animation.. in-game stuff especially.. TLOU 2 will hold that crown until we see actual next gen gameplay.

Oct 31, 2017
That Division demo was running on a high end PC.

the Hellblade 2 trailer was running in real
Time on a Series X devkit.

Huge difference

The final game didn't look like that even on a high end PC. I call bullshit. It was downgraded as fuck just like Watch Dogs.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I legit thought it was Melina with make up in a live action trailer or somethin like that

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It reminds me of the dark sorcerer showing we had back in 2013.

I will wait for the game to come out before stating that it's the best animation ever.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Purely on looks, RDR 2 is better but TLOU 2 hasn't released yet. Maybe it can improve.

Don't agree, having completed RDR2, what I have seen from TLoU2 looks at least as good, if not better than RDR 2 animation wise. Again though, I think RDR 2 is less impressive for feeling a bit sluggish to play

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've said it's running in real time. Hellblade, with a much smaller budget and presumably a smaller team, was one of the best looking games of that year and a hallmark achievement when it came to character performance and passing the uncanny valley, and they announced that with an in-engine trailer. 🤷‍♂️
Sure, it'll be great to see gameplay footage, but it is real-time.
No real time.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Makes you wonder what devs like compulsion can do with actual money instead of just begging on them corners (patreon and Kickstarter) like "can I have some more"

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate that the trailer wasn't real time (not sure why MS would do that), but I am still excited to see what this really will look like in the end. Studio is talented, and the setting and chatacters are awesome. And so far the hardware looks like it'll be very impressive.

Jul 17, 2018
Why is ND keep being mentioned in this thread? And as far as it being real time or not I'll just wait for the actual gameplay.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Why is ND keep being mentioned in this thread? And as far as it being real time or not I'll just wait for the actual gameplay.
Because it's making a claim of being a benchmark in graphics. You can't make that claim and not mention ND. Don't like it? Don't make such claim.

and it's already been debunked as being
"real time" when they took "real time" off their Facebook post about it. Even digital foundry was skeptical about it.

Is blind faith the only thing people are grasping on to? This thread should've been locked after the DF video tbh."In-engine" is not the same as real time game graphics. So I don't know how an in engine video is a benchmark for game graphics..

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
TLOU2 still looks like a game, easily. Very impressive for the hardware it is on but no better than RDR2. Probably worse than RDR2 in still shots and better in motion. Hellblade 2 looks close to real life to me. There is no comparison. I guess once Sony shows their PS5 exclusive that is on par, Sony fans will see the huge difference all of a sudden.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
im currently playing hellblade 1 in vr and i have no doubt NT can achieve that video in next-gen console!

Jul 17, 2018
Because it's making a claim of being a benchmark in graphics. You can't make that claim and not mention ND. Don't like it? Don't make such claim.

"real time" when they took "real time" off their Facebook post about it. Even digital foundry was skeptical about it.

Is blind faith the only thing people are grasping on to? This thread should've been locked after the DF video tbh."In-engine" is not the same as real time game graphics. So I don't know how an in engine video is a benchmark for game graphics..
Like I said I rather wait to see actual gameplay because DF is just one skepticism. Not dismissing them. And real time or not the motion cap imo looks more impressive than anything this gen and that includes ND. Heck I don't even think ND is the best motion cap dev but thats another story because I don't want to get into a toxic back and forth.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
10 times the Teraflops and a much better CPU/SDD, people! Believe! I think they can do even better.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Like I said I rather wait to see actual gameplay because DF is just one skepticism. Not dismissing them. And real time or not the motion cap imo looks more impressive than anything this gen and that includes ND.
it does look amazing can't lie about that. But I was answering your question about the ND comparison and why they're getting mentioned in this thread. The final game of tlou2 with a release date has animations on par, IMO almost just as good, as Hellblade... and that's enemies and full cast of characters we've seen already.

it don't even really matter as this benchmark will be short lived going into next-gen if all you need to set a benchmark is an "in-engine" target video. and that could be from another Xbox studio for all we know.

...but, with ND making games I wouldn't count on it. Let's wait for gameplay.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
10 times the Teraflops and a much better CPU/SDD, people! Believe! I think they can do even better.
maybe they can, but the fact is that what we saw in that video was not real-time, as DF pointed in their analysis. So there's no benchmark here.

we should wait for gameplay and, considering things like those huge downgrades seen in some games this gen, I think more than wait for the gameplay, we should wait for the game to be released.

Jun 23, 2019
TLOU2 still looks like a game, easily. Very impressive for the hardware it is on but no better than RDR2. Probably worse than RDR2 in still shots and better in motion. Hellblade 2 looks close to real life to me. There is no comparison. I guess once Sony shows their PS5 exclusive that is on par, Sony fans will see the huge difference all of a sudden.

That's because TLOU2's art direction is stylized like Uncharted so of course you can tell it's a game. Also, the game is coming out almost 2 years past RDR2. It's a little too early to be making such inflammatory comments like the game already looks worse and it hasn't even released yet. Come on now.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah I was a bit disappointed that it's probably not real time and is just a target render as I originally suspected. We're back to waiting for a true representation of what will be possible on next gen machines. Godfall looks alright, but it's from a smaller studio and we know it's not representative of what the PS5 can do as per Shinobi

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
maybe they can, but the fact is that what we saw in that video was not real-time, as DF pointed in their analysis. So there's no benchmark here.

we should wait for gameplay and, considering things like those huge downgrades seen in some games this gen, I think more than wait for the gameplay, we should wait for the game to be released.

Ehhhh, not released but maybe 6 months out. At that point the game should be mostly finished so any gameplay they show should be almost final. People believe TLOU2's graphics waaay before release. Besides, like others have mentioned, NT has never given us bullshots so far while ND has.

That's because TLOU2's art direction is stylized like Uncharted so of course you can tell it's a game. Also, the game is coming out almost 2 years past RDR2. It's a little too early to be making such inflammatory comments like the game already looks worse and it hasn't even released yet. Come on now.

And the fact that NOTHING looks close to real on current gen console hardware. As in, even RDR2 which is going for the real look falls way short. As far as RDR2 vs. TLOU2, I've watched all of TLOU2's gameplay videos. The town for example fell short of RDR2's towns in my opinion. I will agree that maybe that will change on a 4k screen running on a Pro. I am comparing it to direct feed gameplay on my X, so maybe it is unfair. No need to get so defensive.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Wait until the game is not multiple years away people. They said its very early in dev. Cinematic non gameplay Trailers are nice but thats it. Even realtime versus pre rendered in engine is meaningless argument right now

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Yeah I was a bit disappointed that it's probably not real time and is just a target render as I originally suspected. We're back to waiting for a true representation of what will be possible on next gen machines. Godfall looks alright, but it's from a smaller studio and we know it's not representative of what the PS5 can do as per Shinobu.
You know, and that's fine. Target renders are supposed to hype. I like the look of Godfall too! Albeit a lil cheezy in design, but it was the only game that made me sit up during the awards. That and Hellblade.

I have no doubt that later gen games will blow these out the water.

Jun 23, 2019
Ehhhh, not released but maybe 6 months out. At that point the game should be mostly finished so any gameplay they show should be almost final. People believe TLOU2's graphics waaay before release. Besides, like others have mentioned, NT has never given us bullshots so far while ND has.

Oh yeah? NT has NEVER given bullshots or made their trailers look better than what the game actually is?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
You know, and that's fine. Target renders are supposed to hype. I like the look of Godfall too! Albeit a lil cheezy in design, but it was the only game that made me sit up during the awards. That and Hellblade.

I have no doubt that later gen games will blow these out the water.

Indeed, I have no doubt that next gen will knock our socks off. Can't wait!!! 😃

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
It looks fantastic, just as the first Hellblade looked fantastic in the animation department.
My first thought was that it looks like the DMC5 Cutscenens (which were also in-Engine but used higher Quality assets than the actual game) but with way better shaders and more subtle and expressive muscle movement. It also helps that senua has a lot of paint on her face which gives it extra texture.
I think its not unreasonable to see early next-gen ingame model&animation-quality to slightly surpass end-of-this-generation cutscene assets (from studios that have then ecessary ressources ofc).
I still doubt that the Hellblade 2 Trailer is 100% what we will get in actual gameplay, but i absolutely believe that we will see this quality in real-time cutscenens.

tumblr_pmk6f2ezYY1rb7mw3o1_400.gif

f01bbf4aa20b012f60317c5bc2e2ae65.gif
Would add to it, if we're comparing gameplay animations as well, DMC5 are taken a lot of these games to church for how they can do the realistic animation, but properly blend them seemlessly into different animation cancels to still keep the gameplay nice n fluid. A lot of the big action animations in these other games is really stiff because well they have to be believable, and punchy, but they end up having to be a bit canned to work.

DMC stuff transitions through all sorts of shit, and is so fucking clean.

Jun 23, 2019
That is what I read on the last page from someone. Can you show me where they have?

Look up the original trailer and press shots for a game called Enslaved: Odyssey to West almost 10 years ago. Yeah, no one is immune to fluffing is their product to make it look better than what it is. I just found it humorous you tried to come for ND of all studios when their only "bull shot" was the original trailer for UC4 that ended up being almost the same with different lighting.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That is what I read on the last page from someone. Can you show me where they have?

I don't know anything about NTs history, but it's worth remembering Phil Spencer's description of the footage. He said:

"Tonight I'm proud to reveal a project early in development from an incredibly talented creative team who are no strangers to the game awards. What you're about to see was all captured in-engine, as being built to take full advantage of Xbox Series X."

That practically screams target render. Plus this is for a game with no release window so it could be many years away. They may or may not be able to match these visuals in the final product but we can't say with certainty that this is representative of what people will see in the actual game.

I was hoping it would be a definitive example of what we could expect to see next gen but there is too much doubt about the footage to get hyped at this stage IMO.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Look up the original trailer and press shots for a game called Enslaved: Odyssey to West almost 10 years ago. Yeah, no one is immune to fluffing is their product to make it look better than what it is. I just found it humorous you tried to come for ND of all studios when their only "bull shot" was the original trailer for UC4 that ended up being almost the same with different lighting.

Almost? It was a lot prettier and double the frame rate. That was pretty bad. As far as that game, I looked up some trailers from 2010 and didn't see the downgrade you spoke of. Looks terrible in both trailer and gameplay walkthrough. I even did a search for downgrade and nothing came up.

Jun 23, 2019
I don't know anything about NTs history, but it's worth remembering Phil Spencer's description of the footage. He said:

"Tonight I'm proud to reveal a project early in development from an incredibly talented creative team who are no strangers to the game awards. What you're about to see was all captured in-engine, as being built to take full advantage of Xbox Series X."

That practically screams target render. Plus this is for a game with no release window so it could be many years away. They may or may not be able to match these visuals in the final product but we can't say with certainty that this is representative of what people will see in the actual game.

I was hoping it would be a definitive example of what we could expect to see next gen but there is too much doubt about the footage to get hyped at this stage IMO.

This plus them removing the "real time" tag from the video should put this to bed honestly. It was basically an in-engine CGI trailer. Nothing wrong with that, but you got people in here swearing up and down that is what the game is going to look like and I'm not convinced. To be honest, I'm more inclined to believe what I saw from Godfall so far than HB2.