• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Yes i know, but that can mean a number of things. In-Engine is a very vague statement. I have created a 360 Stereoscopic visualizations in Unreal Engine that were exported to image files and then composited because of hardware limitations. That is in a sense "In-Engine" but not real-time. Saying it was captured from real Xbox Hardware is also somewhat vague, but that seems to imply real-time.
This is real time. Gamespot confirmed it in their article.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
It is probably not, though. It's made with a game engine (UE probably), but you can render some fancy stuff with those if not rendered in realtime (especially since they support ray-tracing nowadays)
Sigh. How many comments must I make regarding this. It IS running real time on a Series X console. Gamespot confirmed it. See my other comment in this thread for a link to the article.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seeing what NT did with the first Hellblade on current gen tech, why are people so heavily doubting what they can do with next gen tech AND Microsoft funding?

Gajeel23

Jun 4, 2018
the title is misleading. It says "animation", not facial animation. I've played hellblade and the facial animation was amazing, I still think is one of the best even today. But for movement animation, hair animation and everything animation wise, I still think there is a lot to improve.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sorry if this has been posted on the previous 3 pages

anyone who hasn't should watch some of the development diaries about the first one and the tech and techniques they used to get such great motion capture on a small budget.

also amazing about how they used a video editor as a reference while working on the tech, and she was so good they ended up casting her as the lead.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People have been burned a lot since Uncharted 4's in engine trailer.
Fair, but NT have a history of actually delivering. The Uncharted 4 trailer seemed unreal based on previous games, and then was. Based on the first Hellblade, and the jump in tech and funding, what they showed in this trailer is actually believable

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hellblade's gameplay looked utterly sublime, and that was two years ago on bottlenecked, limited current-gen hardware, with a team of 20 people and a small budget.
3271572-sharefactory%E2%84%A2_20170808210332_.gif

0EE37D00FD67568FA1AE52F5285147800AE6930F

I'm gonna go ahead and get hyped.
Yes. I finished the game on PC. But life taught me to not believe 100% about anything.

And what is the point in downsampled gifs?

edit. sorry for the "teached" Dx

Last edited:

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Seeing what NT did with the first Hellblade on current gen tech, why are people so heavily doubting what they can do with next gen tech AND Microsoft funding?
Yeah it's NT with a crazy budget, this stuff is 100% legit.

Next gen is going to be so much fun with all the great Sony and Xbox studios going all in at it.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ninja Theory has always been really good with they Facial animations which is all motion captured. Heavenly Sword on PS3 was already very impressive for its time, and the 1st Hellblade already had insane facial animations.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes. I finished the game on PC. But life teached me to not believe 100% about anything.

And what is the point in downsampled gifs?
They're easier to view on mobile? I mean, geez, I didn't boot up the game, replay a boss section, and then record the encounter as a 4K gif...

You said yourself, you played it on PC. The game was jaw-droppingly beautiful and in many instances was near photo-realistic, and it was a BUDGET title.

Even on the Nintendo Switch, it's a stunner.
hellblade-comp.jpg

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Her chanting in that trailer genuinely creeped me out. Looks great for sure.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It still looks actually impossible to me. Hell, I thought it was the best looking CG I've ever seen. I wasn't sure if it was some weird hybrid of CG and live action since the first game did similar things.

If this is real time rendering on a console... I... don't even know.

Her chanting legitimately scared me.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
That is a great trailer.

Senua's Sacrifice was already doing great work with facial animation. I think it's possible that they'll approach what's in the video.
Agree.

That's one of the best looking games this gen. Great pick up for MS.

I Still haven't played it yet. I just need to install it n play.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're easier to view on mobile? I mean, geez, I didn't boot up the game, replay a boss section, and then record the encounter as a 4K gif...

You said yourself, you played it on PC. The game was jaw-droppingly beautiful and in many instances was near photo-realistic, and it was a BUDGET title.

Even on the Nintendo Switch, it's a stunner.
hellblade-comp.jpg

Games can still look stunning after some downgrades, yes.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Don't believe for a second that it's a gameplay model, specially since they made sure to not show another human face when multiple people were on screen.

In a cutscene, especially if its a trademark monologue (most impressive shots have the background as just a blur), hell fucking yeah. Especially since Phil never said anything that implies otherwise.

Lol, that's not real time, and I'm pretty sure is CGI like most "in engine" trailers. Let's not get away with ourselves until we actually see the real game.🤣
Lol, FMV is the more appropriate the term you're looking for.

EDIT: I think I may have misunderstood the premise of the thread. My bad.

Last edited:

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hellblade always looked amazing, but despite that I feel there need to be significant improvements in both the gameplay and story departments.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Games can still look stunning after some downgrades, yes.
You're still missing the point.

This game, even on Nintendo Switch, is ahead of the curve visually compared to even late-gen games releasing this year. It's not just that it looks good with downgrades; it's that it's still better than most games on a visual front.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean. It's face capture and we already have that tech. And we haven't seen any actual gameplay animation. I mean animation is just technique... Maybe you mean graphical Fidelity?

Oct 27, 2017
It's real good, but so was the first game so it would be more surprising if this didn't look amazing. Netherrealm has also been doing good work in this area. Naughty Dog as well of course. Next gen about to be a real interesting leap.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was much more impressed with the general quality of the rendered graphics if this is close to what we will get next gen.

I mean, the animation is fine but it wasn't what stood out to me.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I thought it looked incredible and I have faith that Ninja Theory will pull it off in game. I'm sure they're happy that it looks so good many people actually can't believe it's possible in a game.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine this tech shared with the other studios. Imagine a big Obsidian RPG with this kind of face tech.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kudos to the actress.

I gotta start playing the first one. Downloaded it from the pass but I haven't started it yet.

Realtime and in engine

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
So many people trying to downplay this. This forum is embarrasing sometimes. Even if this was 100% CGI it would STILL be impressive animation, yet it's all running in real time.

Lol, that's not real time, and I'm pretty sure is CGI like most "in engine" trailers. Let's not get away with ourselves until we actually see the real game.🤣

It's real time in engine:

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who didn't play the first or have any idea what it was like or about, what's up with the character randomly going into song/chant? When I first watched this trailer, I thought it was really off and was super confused.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
This trailer made me buy Hellblade 1, still haven't played it yet.

Art direction in all Ninja Theory games are great and this is no exception, gameplay on the other hand isn't always great but NT have potential. I think with MS support and resources they will realize that potential.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
I'm actually not a fan of the animation in this trailer - her expressions are a little over-exaggerated for my tastes.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Shh, we're not allowed to talk about before the game is released. So that means shut down all discussion about this game until holiday 2020, apparently.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And don't forget that was said to be "captured from console" too. You can play a video on a console and capture it as well.

Inengine is often used to describe things when they can't be described as real time, else they'd used the term real time won't they? And even when they are real time the cutscenes are better asset wise than gameplay. So inengine is often like 2 steps above gameplay. And this isn't even taking the downgrades into consideration.

Its pretty simple. That Uncharted trailer was running in real time using the game engine. But the final game had other assets, still looked great. Just because a trailer is in engine and real time, dosent mean it represents the final game or how it will look during gameplay.