• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
We finally pasted the uncanney valley. I am both glad and very impressed (and this is "only" a AA studio).

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
For the skeptics, have you seen Senua's Sacrifice? With more CPU and GPU power, I fully believe that Ninja Theory of all people can deliver a game with next level animation on new more powerful hardware.

It wouldn't exactly be the first time either.

More importantly, more than 19 people can work on it at any one time since they aren't a missed paycheck from being evicted anymore.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm pretty sure the control scheme will be R3 to lock-on. RB for light attack and B to dodge.

Not sure how much farther they go with the DS inspirations.
B-b-b-but WILL IT BE AS GOOD
WILL IT BE DARK SOULS OR DARK SOULS-ESQUE?
Omg!

In all seriousness I hope it's as good as the first game, it's pretty underrated imo

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm surprised that so many people here are very sceptical. The first game already looked very impressive, especially the main character and her face. Going by the fact that this is on next gen console and PC, and that it's made by Ninja Theory who are well known for very impressive facial animations, it would be harder to believe that it won't look as good as this trailer.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
But... will it play like Dark Souls?

n06AUB6.gif

I hope it still plays like the original. Senua didn't play like a powerhouse and could be toppled or set offbalance by heavy blows making the right response to attacks feel like they mattered more.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When people earlier this generation were like, "video games can't look any better" I would always laugh. I got to see the machines the Houston Rockets use for their promotions a while back, and they showed me this model of James Harden they use for their promos. I learned that many of the "videos" they show on the giant screen at games aren't actually videos, they're 3D models with insane animations. They are, without hyperbole, photorealistic models, well beyond the uncanney valley, that are essentially indistinguishable from actual, real video. It blew my damn mind. And we could preview them in real time. These were running on super computers, computers with like 10 GPUs inside, doing crazy raytracing, that were the size of refrigerators. But the point still remained -- there is so much room for growth as technology increases.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
When people earlier this generation were like, "video games can't look any better" I would always laugh. I got to see the machines the Houston Rockets use for their promotions a while back, and they showed me this model of James Harden they use for their promos. I learned that many of the "videos" they show on the giant screen at games aren't actually videos, they're 3D models with insane animations. They are, without hyperbole, photorealistic models, well beyond the uncanney valley, that are essentially indistinguishable from actual, real video. It blew my damn mind. And we could preview them in real time. These were running on super computers, computers with like 10 GPUs inside, doing crazy raytracing, that were the size of refrigerators. But the point still remained -- there is so much room for growth as technology increases.
I wanna see this!

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah title's misleading. Motion capture isn't quite the same as animation in the context that it's being used here lol.

This is wrong. Motion capture doesn't work like you think it does. Motion capture is a series of keyframes that are captured. There is a ton of hand animation that goes from taking a motion capture sample into this kind of animation. When you use raw mocap data without doing a ton of work on it, it does not look like this at all. For one, even the most advanced facial mocap schemes do not have this many points of articulation. Any articulation lacking, is essentially traditional animation applied over the keyframes.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
i love the nerds in this thread who think that because something is motion captured that it doesn't have any animation work done on it

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that truly is what we can expect next gen games to look like, this is the biggest jump in visuals since N64 to PS2

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
people saying it doesnt count because its mocap as if that doesnt then go through animators doesnt know how mocap works.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
That was an awesome trailer. My wife who is not really into games saw it and was super impressed too.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It looked stunning, but the real deal is touching the human body. For now it looks way too scripted.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Looks fantastic, but I am more interested in ingame animations. Hopefully a trailer will drop at this upcoming E3...

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This trailer was amazing, and as someone who finds very little scary or unnerving in games, it gave me a palpable feeling of dread. Senua looks like an actor and not a video game rendering of an actor. If the rest of the game looks this good it will quite an achievement.

It also makes me chuckle to think people have been pushing the idea that next gen won't be much of a leap. If this is any indication, games coming out in the next few years are going to look insane.

Neat. Call me when they can do it outside of cutscenes.
Who cares? It's in engine. What other game touches Senua in that video, cutscene or otherwise?

i love the nerds in this thread who think that because something is motion captured that it doesn't have any animation work done on it
This. Enthuists, amirite?
This thread is a a console wars thread in disguise.
Thinly veiled. A cross-platform sequel thread would look much different.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Would not say animation, mo-cap is where the bar is. In terms of hand animated characters in real-time that goes to naughty dog.
ND's animation team utilizes full performance capture that is cleaned up and iterated on just like NT's titles. The way people always prop ND up as a studio with a unique workflow as if every studio just uses raw mocap data reminds me of the time gamers discovered the concept of frustum culling due to this:
0RlreKB.gif

and attributed it as a unique aspect of Decima.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In engine =/= Real time.... Wait for the gameplay OP...
They've said it's running in real time. Hellblade, with a much smaller budget and presumably a smaller team, was one of the best looking games of that year and a hallmark achievement when it came to character performance and passing the uncanny valley, and they announced that with an in-engine trailer. 🤷‍♂️

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
ND's animation team utilizes full performance capture that is cleaned up and iterated on just like NT's titles. The way people always prop ND up as a studio with a unique workflow as if every studio just uses raw mocap data reminds me of the time gamers discovered the concept of frustum culling due to this:
0RlreKB.gif

and attributed it as a unique aspect of Decima.

Hellblade is using full likeness of mo-cap actress.

Naughty dog uses the mo-cap with fictional designs.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hellblade is using full likeness of mo-cap actress.

Naughty dog uses the mo-cap with fictional designs.
If you knew anything about how the tech works you'd know that 1:1 digital double full likeness literally does not matter...that's like, straight up one of the main advantages of the technology. If anything, NT would know all about that....considering the part where you know, they were the first game studio to use full performance capture and did so in a game where literally everyone but Andy Serkis's character had a fictional design.

Last edited:

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
For in-engine, it's really impressive. Just hoping it holds up to launch day.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I loved Senua's Sacrifice, and it's so cool that they had an in-studio employee as the main character and actress. But it didn't look even close to what we're seeing here. The expressions, eyes, wrinkles, how the lips move over the teeth and gum, the heavy breathing and inhalation between the shouts and the neck and chest movements afterwards. If it's created and not live action and makeup then we're talking about Hollywood quality CGI effects here, supposedly realtime. I remain doubtful...
Actually, this looks on the level of that flick Beowulf by Zemeckis. Or at least, really, really close to it. Its fucking stunning. Ive watched it enough times to fill an entire season of Breaking Bad. IIts beyond ridiculous at this point.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on what they are going for stylisticly.
Again, there is no point to make the distinction between stylized characters and digital doubles unless you are completely misinformed about how performance capture actually works, as that doesn't determine the quality of the end result.

Or alternatively you were just stating something that wasn't even true, the vast majority of NT's titles with this sort of technology had stylized characters. Hellblade was the first time they went for photorealism, that, and ND's been pushing towards photorealism, where the majority of the characters in their games are digital doubles of real people.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I'm willing to bet anything that the actual in game cutscenes won't approach that level of animation. How many times have we seen a trailer in engine, and the final product looks no where near as close.