• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This is just as embarassing. In terms of visual fidelity, this looks a big step up from TLoU2. But in terms of cutscene animation? I wouldnt say so. The thing is I am still sceptical that ND will deliver the in game animation that they showed in the original trailer. That to me would be more impressive, since it would have to be responsive. In game play, while great, I don't think the animations in NT games match what ND does. Could change with this game, who knows. Of course, their in game animations are still pretty great.
What the fuck does even mean lmao

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
This is just as embarassing. In terms of visual fidelity, this looks a big step up from TLoU2. But in terms of cutscene animation? I wouldnt say so. The thing is I am still sceptical that ND will deliver the in game animation that they showed in the original trailer. That to me would be more impressive, since it would have to be responsive. In game play, while great, I don't think the animations in NT games match what ND does. Could change with this game, who knows. Of course, their in game animations are still pretty great.
Nothing embarrassing about what I said. Nor does your opinion change anything I said. There ain't shit in the current gen (including what ND has done lately..) that can touch what this trailer by NT has achieved with Series X. I respect your opinion, but its wrong. Point blank.

Just give credit where credit is due. I'm sure Sony and ND will show some stellar material as well. But it ain't today broski. Not today...

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): system wars, history of the exact same behavior
Because facts and objectively correct opinions aren't needed here on Era. Right champ? Wonder what the narrative would be if this was multi platform or Sony exclusive. Lol.

Do you, bro. Do you...
Fact is Naughty Dog is one of the best developer in the world for the last 10 years and Ninja Theory isn't . Fact is Hellblade 2 trailer is nothing more than an in game engine trailer without any gameplay. Fact is TLOU2 will sell millions within the first 3 days of release.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

No, the muscle deformation is a definite step up from what's in TLOU2. Next gen graphics isn't just about polygons, it allows for better and more complex rigging as well.
Fact is Naughty Dog is one of the best developer in the world for the last 10 years and Ninja Theory isn't . Fact is Hellblade 2 trailer is nothing more than an in game engine trailer without any gameplay. Fact is TLOU2 will sell millions within the first 3 days of release.

What do sales have to do with animations? LOL

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
In-engine seems to be used as a marketing ploy at this point. The game will most likely not look that good. Still impressive looking.
All these high def demos we see on E3's are also in-engine I would assume and still look siginficantly different when they actually release.

You never see models this detailed when playing a game because the camera is pulled out. You can't play a game where a face takes up half the screen. Face: The Game. Ooh, exciting!

So "the game will most likely not look that good" is a given for any game vs a cut scene.

If they nail that lighting, though, that will be amazing.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck?

There is nothing wrong with how she looks, her gums included. It is her idiosyncratic visual signature and NT have rendered her absolutely faithfully. To make changes to her to "pretty her up" would be doing a disservice to that.

Furthermore, this is a poor, poor attitude that underscores the pervasive and pernicious beauty standards for female characters in game and women in general.

Thanks for pushing the standards and picking an actress that isn't completely fitting every standard of beauty whatsoever safe for two little imperfections.

melina-juergens-4.1.jpg

Oh ...

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
No, the muscle deformation is a definite step up from what's in TLOU2. Next gen graphics isn't just about polygons, it allows for better and more complex rigging as well.

What do sales have to do with animations? LOL
Dat boi in his feelings right now. He had to say something.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
You've managed to out embarass the posts you're responding to. Incredible.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe next they can try making the gameplay in their games not incredibly mediocre.

I know I'm in the minority (somehow), but I thought Hellblade was a 5/10, at best. The puzzles were so bad (move the camera around until you see a symbol), the combat was bad.

It had some neat visuals and the acting was well done, but a game needs more than that, like the game part.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
User Warned: System Wars
Naughty Dog are the kings.. NT has a long way to go still to just be worthy of comparing them side by side.

Are people really acting like because of an in engine trailer? I'm just shocked

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe next they can try making the gameplay in their games not incredibly mediocre.

I know I'm in the minority (somehow), but I thought Hellblade was a 5/10, at best. The puzzles were so bad (move the camera around until you see a symbol), the combat was bad.

It had some neat visuals and the acting was well done, but a game needs more than that, like the game part.
Their combat has always been solid. Hellblade's combat was perfectly fine for the game they created. By the end of it, I had mastered the parry, dodge, charge, and focus mechanics, and the combat took on a HUGE new level with headphones on and voices guiding my decisions.

But Heavenly Sword, DmC, and Enslaved were also all solid action games. I've never played a NT game where I thought the combat was BAD.

Naughty Dog are the kings.. NT has a long way to go still to just be worthy of comparing them side by side.

Are people really acting like because of an in engine trailer? I'm just shocked
Not just in-engine. Running in real-time.

And there are several NT games I think are superior to many of ND's games. It's not a competition either; it's comparing apples to oranges.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Their combat has always been solid. Hellblade's combat was perfectly fine for the game they created. By the end of it, I had mastered the parry, dodge, charge, and focus mechanics, and the combat took on a HUGE new level with headphones on and voices guiding my decisions.

But Heavenly Sword, DmC, and Enslaved were also all solid action games. I've never played a NT game where I thought the combat was BAD.

Not just in-engine. Running in real-time.

And there are several NT games I think are superior to many of ND's games. It's not a competition either; it's comparing apples to oranges.

Of course everything in engine is in real time. For that exact reason wait until you see real gameplay to decide if this game is so good or not.

Hellblade 1 was a good game but with lots of problems in the gameplay department.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Prediction

Ninja Theory are about to step up to Naughty Dog tier
They already have multiple times tbh. Heavenly Sword's cinematics had more convincing characters than UC1. Hellblade has a more convincing character than the characters in both UC4 and LL. Lmao at the idea that the studio that arrived first at the performance capture at a video game party isn't comparable to the studio that was LTTP.

Of course everything in engine is in real time
Uh no, there's a very explicit difference between something like this and something like what ND used to o with cinematics and what DICE does with cinematics.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda impressed with how the thread devolved into people doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to imply the finished game could never look as good as this reveal. Not too impressed though, especially considering its an NT game.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of course everything in engine is in real time. For that exact reason wait until you see real gameplay to decide if this game is so good or not.

Hellblade 1 was a good game but with lots of problems in the gameplay department.
That's actually not true. In-engine does not mean real-time. A lot of pre-rendered scenes are made in-engine but not running in real-time.

And I know it's subjective, but I played Hellblade for the first time only last week (so good timing on that sequel announcement) and I never had any problems with the gameplay. It worked very well and by the end of it I really understood a lot of the nuance of the combat, especially using headphones to have the voices alert you to your next move.

I also enjoyed how Hellblade's "levels" tried so many interesting mechanics to keep things fresh, from the hallucination puzzle chases to the audio search in the dark to creating the invisible bridge to the labyrinth of repeating tunnels to the fire-running sections... It didn't overstay its welcome either and I enjoyed it immensely.

Certainly room for improvement, but nothing in that game was "bad" in my experience.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Kinda impressed with how the thread devolved into people doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to imply the finished game could never look as good as this reveal. Not too impressed though, especially considering its an NT game.

That's my main problem.. is a NT game so I don't have such a high hopes because of that. I liked Hellblade 1 for what it is but it has many many flaws.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Kinda impressed with how the thread devolved into people doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to imply the finished game could never look as good as this reveal. Not too impressed though.
Its NINJA THEORY and next gen, plus its a cutscene we haven't seen many other next gen games either.
It would be impressive if it didn't looked good, current gen games already look amazing imo so im not surprised new games can look this good

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
That's my main problem.. is a NT game so I don't have such a high hopes because of that. I liked Hellblade 1 for what it is but it has many many flaws.
Ninja Theory likes story heavy games with impressive tech, for fans this is heaven its just a bit niche compared to say, what Naughty Dog will do on PS5, or any of the Sony studios, then everyone will be hype

Gajeel23

Jun 4, 2018
I don't even know why people are comparing a current gen game(TLOU2) with a next-gen game. Wait for sony to release an in-engine or gameplay video of a first party next-gen game and then compare. That's all. So far, Hellblade 2 is all we got, and it's currently the best looking.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Theory likes story heavy games with impressive tech, for fans this is heaven its just a bit niche compared to say, what Naughty Dog will do on PS5, or any of the Sony studios, then everyone will be hype
I would argue NT's output is a little more diverse than that. Enslaved were the closest thing to Uncharted they ever did, in terms of structure at least, but the combat was way more varied. They also dabbled with more combat focused games like Heavenly Sword and DmC and are now making both a competitive, hero based hack and slash (Bleeding Edge) while also showing what seems like a greatly expanded sequel to Hellblade (what with there being an army with Senua, could this mean a return to grander scale combat like Heavenly Sword?). Fightback was a fun beat'em up for mobile, too.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

This thread is about visuals. Specifically the animation. Unless the 'many many flaws' you cite are about the visuals or animation, it's irrelevant to this discussion.

hellblade was objectively one of the most beautiful games this gen upon release, so it would be strange if anyone didn't have high hopes for the sequel's visuals.

Oct 25, 2017
In-engine seems to be used as a marketing ploy at this point. The game will most likely not look that good. Still impressive looking.
All these high def demos we see on E3's are also in-engine I would assume and still look siginficantly different when they actually release.

In-engine means exactly what it implies, it's not deceptive. This is the fidelity you can expect during real-time cutscenes, which isn't worlds apart from gameplay.

My hope is that the first game's weaknesses (weak, repetitive puzzles being the biggest offender) were a result of a small budget. I'm excited to find out, and it's not like the price of entry will be high.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
This thread is about visuals. Specifically the animation. Unless the 'many many flaws' you cite are about the visuals or animation, it's irrelevant to this discussion.

hellblade was objectively one of the most beautiful games this gen upon release, so it would be strange if anyone didn't have high hopes for the sequel's visuals.

I agree with that.. Hellblade was amazing on the visual and artistic department.. but combat animations and gameplay didn't click for me at all.

This animations discussion is for in engine stuff only or for everything related to the game like actual gameplay? maybe I didn't understand that

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with that.. Hellblade was amazing on the visual and artistic department.. but combat animations and gameplay didn't click for me at all.

This animations discussion is for in engine stuff only or for everything related to the game like actual gameplay? maybe I didn't understand that
If it's moving and it's a game, it's animation. Motion capture doesn't simply get translated into perfect movement without a whole lot of work from animators.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

The actual combat animations are really good when you get the rhythm of battles.
709BD43B30FF1DA6CF523B420B01B417BD2F9A11

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I would argue NT's output is a little more diverse than that. Enslaved were the closest thing to Uncharted they ever did, in terms of structure at least, but the combat was way more varied. They also dabbled with more combat focused games like Heavenly Sword and DmC and are now making both a competitive, hero based hack and slash (Bleeding Edge) while also showing what seems like a greatly expanded sequel to Hellblade (what with there being an army with Senua, could this mean a return to grander scale combat like Heavenly Sword?). Fightback was a fun beat'em up for mobile, too.
thats true, i guess i was thinking mostly about Hellblade were gameplay is not the main focus