• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
H2x1_NSwitch_Ninjala_image1600w.jpg

Ninjala is an upcoming Switch exclusive multiplayer action game, developed by the huge Japanese publisher GungHo, famously known for their worldwide mobile hit Puzzle & Dragons and who recently decided to focus some resources on the development of pure console games, starting with this brand-new IP that is a rather unique product in the current industry. It is designed by Takeshi Arakawa, recently co-producer on Dissidia: Final Fantasy at Square Enix (http://www.siliconera.com/2018/06/2...by-the-co-producer-of-dissidia-final-fantasy/).

The game was revealed at E3 2018 and was immediately received with more or less the same impression for everyone: it looks A LOT like Splatoon. And it'd be hard to not agree on some aspects, because Ninjala seems to be the first actual Splatoon-like game by a competent Japanese publisher, after the Nintendo title invaded the market three years ago. However, it is also pretty different in a lot of ways, and with the marketing around the game slowly ramping up since Tokyo Game Show (where it had one of the biggest booths, explaining the amount of impressions by Japanese gamers), it seems to be gathering attention and I figured it'd be a good moment to explain people what exactly is this title and why it could be an important Switch title in the future.

ob_c5c351_1806-12-ninjala-nintendo-switch.jpg
ninjala-screenshot-3.jpeg

It is a multiplayer action game featuring up to eight players (like Splatoon, although here you can play even if you're not eight) where you play as Ninja kids that are fighting using bubblegum to forge huge weapons to smash at the face of their opponents. The core concept of the game is the bubblegum that you can create by pressing L. The longer you stay pressed, the bigger your bubble is with three levels: small, medium and large. Making your bubble pop yourself is going to create a weapon that is larger and stronger the bigger your bubble was. Weapons have a limited durability in time, and you'll have to pop another bubble once your weapon break. You can then use that weapon to smash your opponents, but it is not the only use of that bubble. You can also, instead of making it pop, spit it right in the face of an enemy (it works like a missile in that sense) in order to glue them to the ground and make them easy targets. That bubble can also be used as a way to dash away from your opponent, since making it explode below you will make you jump from the explosion – provided your bubble was big enough – but it can also be used like a planer in order to jump from higher positions or dive from a rooftop to another. Finally, you can also just make a somewhat hidden sticky trap to stun opponents. Much like the ink in Splatoon, here the gum has a lot of different properties that can be used both offensively or defensively.

You win the round by having the biggest score. You get points by smashing opponents, destroying little robots that are wandering all around the map and by getting some collectible bonus randomly scattered.

Another of the important aspect of the game is the free movement in battle. You're playing as Ninja, meaning that you can run on walls and even upside down on rooftops to keep fighting. The map may look a tad small from a standard perspective but taking into consideration that you can move freely on all walls and jump from one place to another, there's a lot more freedom that it may seem at first glance. You've got a dash and that kind of stuff too.

78ec28eb94516c9b1dab8d9d56e43faf.jpg
ninjala-brings-bubble-gum-blowing-battle-royale-action-to-nintendo-switch.jpeg

Why does Ninjala looks interesting? What looked like a Splatoon clone at first seems to be more of an interesting take on the multiplayer family-friendly TPS genre, with a unique mechanic at the center of its gameplay. Splatoon resonated with gamers for its novelty and I think that GungHo may be the first publisher to have found another good idea to make a shooter for everyone since 2015. It's easy to understand but could have some hidden depth in mastering the gameplay.

It's also a cool looking gameplay, clearly borrowing the trendy kids style of Splatoon and a very New Donk City-like map design, but still rather pleasing to look at. Character design is pretty cool too, although may be seen as kinda generic.

Now, there still are some aspects that I'm worried about:

- While GungHo is pretty big on the mobile sector, it's a rather unknown entity when it comes to console publishing. Who knows how the post-launch support will be, and that was a pretty big factor in Splatoon's success. Will it features enough content to make it enjoyable more than just a few hours? How will it be distributed? Will it features lootboxes like western multiplayer games or will stay more traditionally japanese in that matter? Unlike Splatoon, we can't be confident about those points yet.
- We're relatively far from the game's launch, so nothing definite can be said yet but it's the kind of game that will live or die based on if people will actually play it or not. It's a primarily multiplayer game, so Switch fans will have to resonate with it or it's going to be a waste of a purchase.
- All previews seems to agree that the game should have a lock-on that it currently does not have (except for when you spit a bubble).

There's also a bunch of things to know about it:

- It's going to feature a singleplayer campaign featuring one of the eight playable characters.
- Each character will have their background, personality etc.
- While only one weapon was playable in the demo (the bat), we know there's at least five or six in total based on the selection screen in the TGS demo.
- It's a worldwide release planned for next Spring.
- According to GungHo CEO Kazuki Morishita, Ninjala was actually inspired by ninja and sports "chanbara," or sword-fighting

Here's a bunch of impressions from the TGS demo:
https://kotaku.com/ninjala-is-multiplayer-with-bubble-gum-1829220079
One of the biggest booths at this year's Tokyo Game Show is for Ninjala, a multiplayer action game for Nintendo Switch. The character design and the color palette are reminiscent of Splatoon, but I wondered if that's where the similarities end.

Splatoon is one of the go-to multiplayer games for kids. Ninjala certainly seems like it has the potential to be another viable options. That's something to chew on.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/107404/ninjala-hands-on-preview-bubblegum-pop
As much as its vibrant world gives off heavy Nintendo first-party game vibes, it's very much its own adventure with unique quirks and characters all its own. Most importantly, it was some of the most fun I've had with a multiplayer affair from a third-party Switch developer in some time.

So, what do you think of Ninjala? Have you played it either at E3, PAX West or TGS? With Splatoon 2 soon ending its free post-launch support in wake of what's next, Ninjala may be the next big multiplayer thing on Switch, in-between two Smash rounds.

berecca1_thumb.jpg

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't get to play it at PAX, but I remember people being pretty down on it. It sounds like it needs more time to cook when it comes to how the combat and movement feel.

Great concept, it just needs more work, and it sounds like they have nothing but time.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It looks unreasonably close to Splatoon, to the extent that I can't take it seriously. Even if the gameplay mechanics are unique and fun, it gives off the feeling of a cheap Chinese clone.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looks like its trying to be Splatoon but minus the charm or gameplay catch.

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay footage from TGS 2018

Based on the footage, I'm not feeling excited about the game at all.

The camera is terrible and the bubblegum seems more of an annoyance (given that it obscures your view the bigger it gets) than something that's actually helpful.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be successful once they touch up some stuff but right now I sure ain't feeling it.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They only need a better netcode than Splatoon for winning me over on the 4v4 multiplayer thingy on Switch. That's all i'm asking

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I fail to see how this is anything like Splatoon other than aesthetics. Not that there would be anything wrong with an hypothetical game that did ape Splatoon, that's how genres move forward, but I don't see how this is that game.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
berecca1_thumb.jpg

Who are these characters? Why does the girl on the left look exactly like a teen/adult version of the girl in the promo art? Is the premise that these are actually adults who transform into ninja children?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I fail to see how this is anything like Splatoon other than aesthetics. Not that there would be anything wrong with an hypothetical game that did ape Splatoon, that's how genres move forward, but I don't see how this is that game.

I've been told it plays more like a slow Naruto Storm with more emphasis on close combat. So an arena shooter where you need to get close up, which is usually where arena shooters are at their worst.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Always bet against GungHo.

Sadly thats kinda the thruth when it comes to their console efforts. Marketing wise they dont really seems to be knowing what to do and where to spend their resources. They way they have handled Grandia 1/2 and Ninjala so far is lacking in terms of promotion and how to reveal information to the audience. Still no trailer for the Grandia Remasters and we still dont have HQ gameplay Ninjala footage even though plenty of people have played it at events - so all we are left with are somewhat lackluster impressions of a wannabe Splatoon.

Once you announce/unveil a title marketing tools have to applied...GungHo doesnt seem to agree. Dont know what is happening here or if they expect Nintendo to do the heavy lifting starting next year.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
berecca1_thumb.jpg

Who are these characters? Why does the girl on the left look exactly like a teen/adult version of the girl in the promo art? Is the premise that these are actually adults who transform into ninja children?

They seem to be part of an organization related to the story mode - I guess the girl is a sister of the one you play as or something.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I could maybe see it fill a hole on non-Nintendo systems.
But why play Bootleg Splatoon on a Nintendo console when you can play the real thing?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks interesting to me and although the art style looks close to Splatoon's, it's a very appealing art style, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I doubt it'll be the next Splatoon, but it could be the next ARMS.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I've been told it plays more like a slow Naruto Storm with more emphasis on close combat. So an arena shooter where you need to get close up, which is usually where arena shooters are at their worst.

Pretty much what it seemed in the gameplay video. There's also the walking on walls and ceilings mechanic, which I believe the My Hero Academia game also does. It's quite funny because I'm failing to see a single point of commonality with Splatoon beyond visuals.

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
Did you play it, OP? Gameplay looks pretty lackluster.

I walked past their both at TGS and my friend wouldn't believe it wasn't Splatoon.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was interested when it was revealed but it has failed to hook my with subsequent gameplay reveals. Looks like it still needs a lot of time in the oven but it could be cool if they get it right.

Ferulci

Oct 31, 2017
Gameplay previews says the game is actually a lot of fun.
The splatoon vibe is mainly on the art direction, gameplay seems quite different.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I could maybe see it fill a hole on non-Nintendo systems.
But why play Bootleg Splatoon on a Nintendo console when you can play the real thing?
What a strange take

Why play BFV when you can play COD? Or Destiny? Or Halo? Or « insert mp fps game name here »?

The switch has enough ganers for several TPS games to prosper on it

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Gameplay needs more time and more depth. Score based wins mean you fight bots and ignore players.

Played it at PAX, tbh it played better than it looks.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It reminds me of a mix between Splatoon and Big Hero 6.

If it has good reviews, I may give it an opportunity.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if Ninjala looks a lot like Splatoon, it doesn't have the fun and creative gameplay that Splatoon has. Until now at least

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unknown? At the least, they have some experience through Let It Die. Unless you're referring to internal studios.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
The talk of "Splatoon rip-off" seems greatly overblown to me, though that might just be because I'm so deep into Splatoon's minutiae that the differences are really obvious to me. It's colorful childlike characters battling in an urban environment. That's...basically it.

I'm curious about how this will turn out, but not sold yet. The fundamentals look interesting in how you use the gum mechanic for so many things, but as another user mentioned above, the extent to which the gum obscures your view of everything hurts. I wonder of they could make the bubble progressively more transparent as it grew to help mitigate this?

Beyond that, from watching the TGS footage, the game just otherwise looks too slow to be properly engaging or competitive. If the overall speed of everything was turned up like...20%, I think visual impressions would be stronger.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't really look much like Splatoon to me. Cartoon/anime characters running around a city? I don't see how that makes it a Splatoon clone. The gameplay appears very distinct.

It does look dull however. Looks like you just collect things and clumsily swing your weapon at each other? I don't think that's especially interesting.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
some previews are great.
The gameplay design is really interesting.

Maybe a good surprise.