• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
3DS hardware sales are winding down, as expected, though surprising less so in Europe. And there is a hilariously massive spike the day DQXI went on sale in Japan. They're targeting 70 million lifetime it seems, which ain't bad, but is nowhere near the original DS, and is even less than the GBA.
Nah, what they said is that they expect 3DS to achieve an LTD of 70M soon.
Nintendo forecast for 3DS HW sales for the FY ending March 2018 is about 72M.
3DS final LTD is probably going to be 75M+.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just answered your own question. Conversion rate is indeed <10% LTD, that's why Nintendo probably isn't going to release another mobile game with a similar pay structure.

Isnt the standard conversation rate less than 5%? The last time I heard about it was 7%, which is above average but not what Ninty wanted. (>>10%)

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Go should be the template for future Nintendo mobile games, not Mario run.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would translate, but given how the forum jumps at every bit of information and tends to shoot the messager. I think it is wise to let Ninty take the heat instead

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then hold on to your butts for the official transkation and the corresponding shutstorm that will erupt.

People already made a huge fuss on the motion controls on Odyssey...
I still got my Wii controllers, baby. Bring it on!
tenor.gif

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy, I love cryptic hints of impending shitstorms.

There go my plans of sleeping any time soon.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, I love cryptic hints of impending shitstorms.

There go my plans of sleeping any time soon.

In case anyone comes back for receipts, I represent the line with no comment.

来年以降も継続的に新しい遊び⽅を提案することで、Nintendo Switch が Wii と同様に幅広いお客様に受け⼊れられるようにしていきたいと思います。

This is in response to a question on Software lineup strategy (Q12).

Last edited:

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the Switch userbase thing, I remember the last time it came up, and a possible caveat was on the point that this was about the person who had the 'strongest desire' for the Switch, not just who actually plays it. So a family where the father is the biggest of the Nintendo nerds is represented solely by that father, even if they've got three daughters and a wife.

I admittedly found the breakdown of titles popular in each region to be interesting:
coq6cfg_by_meraxa-dbs9zoo.png

Somewhat what was already suspected, mind - the Zelda performs more strongly in the West while Splatoon 2 dominates Japan, but Mario Kart 8 is fairly consistent globally. ARMS meanwhile is about on par with 1-2 Switch.

I'm honestly surprised that 1-2-Switch has outsold ARMS in two regions. Uggh.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is in response to a question on Software lineup strategy.
Because I like chaos, I there this into Google translate

We will continue to propose new playing method after next year so that we would like Nintendo Switch to be accepted by a wide range of customers as well as Wii.

That's not as bad as I was expecting. They have been experimenting with VR, and Wii Fit was popular. The add-on market has seemingly dried up though, so i dont think they'll goo that route. Maybe new joycon types like people imagined pre launch?

Edit: this
nintendo-switch-illustration-controller-1.0.jpg

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

This is in response to a question on Software lineup strategy (Q12l.
Hmmm translated on babelfish and still none the wiser.

I would like to accept Switch Nintendo Wii as well as to a wide range of customers to suggest how to play next year and beyond continually new.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I still want Gamecube shaped joycons with analog triggers. I know the Gamecube adapter is compatible with the Swtich, but that doesn't really work if I wanted to play Smash or (potentially) Gamecube VC games on the go in handheld mode.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would the price be low enough to even make this viable, though? I can't imagine uptake would be too high at current prices. It's a nice concept regardless; it would be nice to see it come to fruition.
if they ditch some of the internal components, maybe. the IR pointer is useless anyway, NFC can stay, maybe remove the motion controls depending on the purpose, and HD rumble can stay. the Joycons are kind of an absurd markup to begin with, so there's some wiggle room for a lower price

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I remember this was always quickly translated by twitter links back in the old site. Are there any Japanese translators on Era?

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if they ditch some of the internal components, maybe. the IR pointer is useless anyway, NFC can stay, maybe remove the motion controls depending on the purpose, and HD rumble can stay. the Joycons are kind of an absurd markup to begin with, so there's some wiggle room for a lower price

I don't think motion controls will ever be removed at this point.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
which is why I said depending on the purpose. for a more specifically designed joycon, motions controls can probably be removed as the button layout itself could limit its usage in other games

A lot of Nintendo's game have motion gestures however. The fact that they put them on the Pro Controller signifies to me that they want motion controls to be a new standard, and I can get behind the idea. Gyro aiming has the potential to really close the gap between controllers and mouse + keyboard.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Nintendo's game have motion gestures however. The fact that they put them on the Pro Controller signifies to me that they want motion controls to be a new standard, and I can get behind the idea. Gyro aiming has the potential to really close the gap between controllers and mouse + keyboard.
no, what I mean is, joycons that are highly specialized. not theoretically agnostic controllers. going back to the image I posted before, you cant use these with Zelda or Mario, but the games they were purposely made for. that along could drive the costs up or down depending on what the controller is intended to do.
nintendo-switch-illustration-controller-1.0.jpg

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
What always impress is software, there is not much to say.

Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon are insane. Mario Odyssey will be huge too.