• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think Nintendo should go third party?

I can't believe people thought they would

First of all, they did go third party. iPhone and android phones aren't Nintendo hardware. They absolutely were forced to go 3rd party to find a large part of their typical consumers, just as many of us predicted.

As for home consoles, they had two choices. Go 3rd party or get out of the dedicated home console business altogether. They chose the latter, and it has proven to be a very good choice. I don't think we ever see another dedicated home console from Nintendo.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
How on earth did they turn this around?? I mean I love Nintendo and will buy their stuff until the day I die, but just... How? The Wii U was one of the most massive failures this industry has seen and they come back like THIS? Really impressive.

giphy.gif

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
I hope ARMS eventually surpasses 1-2 Switch. Not too surprising given the disparity in release dates, though.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Not trying to start anything but how much did the PS4 sell after 1 year on the shelves?
After 4 quarters (less than 11 months): 13.5m
After 5 quarters (less than 14 months): 19.9m

There is no exactly data for 1 year.

PS. To be fair it is ~10.5 and ~13.5 months... just saying because I saw some guys using 14.5 months that is wrong.

Last edited:

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Forget the games of 2017. Seeing Nintendo make a comeback was my greatest gaming moment of the year.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people forget how absolutely dire the Wii U's first year was. If you align the launches, by this point in the Wii U's life the only releases after launch that could be considered notable were Monster Hunter 3U and Lego City. Again launch aligned, where we are now at Mario Odyssey's launch, the Wii U would be waiting another four months to get its first actual tentpole release in Mario 3D World, with Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, and Wind Waker HD being the only notable releases between now and then. The difference between these first years is beyond night and day. Switch deserves every ounce of this success.

Ulairi

Oct 30, 2017
I own 400 shares of Nintendo stock and this year has been great for it. I almost bought a hundred more a few weeks ago and I'm kicking myself for not doing it.

I'm super happy with the platform. It has allowed me to start playing games again. Around 2012, with marriage, kids, and life, I really stopped gaming and the hybrid and my kids being older the Switch became perfectly aligned to my use case.

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Great numbers!

Seeing them updating the forecast is great as they are confident they can produce and deliver at least that amount. More than 16 million in 13 months is very impressive. It will outsold Wii U in less tan 12 months at this rate. I am surprised by the lag of continous sales of ARMS , I expected to sell more. Other tan that, things are looking very bright. I am curious about the Q&A tomorrow, let us hope they drop some interesting information.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
So glad to see it working out for Nintendo. I love the Switch and Nintendo seems focused on providing a steady stream of software for it, which should help sales continue. Plus, they've still got Animal Crossing and Pokemon, two proven system-sellers, waiting in the wings. It's going to be crazy.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Nintendo can keep this momentum of great first party games in 2018

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, they did go third party. iPhone and android phones aren't Nintendo hardware. They absolutely were forced to go 3rd party to find a large part of their typical consumers, just as many of us predicted.

As for home consoles, they had two choices. Go 3rd party or get out of the dedicated home console business altogether. They chose the latter, and it has proven to be a very good choice. I don't think we ever see another dedicated home console from Nintendo.

Switch is a dedicated home console. I can play it on my TV, is a home console regardless of mental gymnastics. "Going third party" meant stopping creating hardware, which they did not.

You tried iT, shady and cheerful animated cloud.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I edited post, 12 month is probably better comparison since ps4 gets 2 holidays instead of 1

I could see the switch topping PS4 in the first 12 months but harder to do after that in 13 to 15 months

But then the numbers could basically switch again after the Switch's next holiday. With 2 holidays under each consoles' belt we have no idea what the numbers will be. This is why it's very difficult to compare the two launch aligned, since holiday sales are such a crucial factor in this business.

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How on earth did they turn this around?? I mean I love Nintendo and will buy their stuff until the day I die, but just... How? The Wii U was one of the most massive failures this industry has seen and they come back like THIS? Really impressive.

giphy.gif

Nintendo is like Lonzo Ball

Had a bad night but Big Ballers Bounce Back

Aroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know PS4 sold to retail is ahead PS2 production yet, no? PS4 always tracked behind Wii except for the launch quarter.

There is nothing skewed in PS4 case.

I don't believe Switch will ever track ahead PS4.

A supply constrained switch launched during a non holiday period is already almost tracking with PS4 during a similar period. Yes, it's behind, but not so much so that it's unreasonable to think it can't catch up and track past it.

Remember, Switch isn't just Nintendo's new home console. It's essentially their new handheld. Their last handheld just hit 69 million units. That means Switch has a good shot, realistically, to hit that 70 million unit barrier at some point, which the PS4 also only just recently passed ( I think, maybe it's still slightly behind that until holidays).

That doesn't mean the Switch is going to outsell the PS4 overall perse, but I think for a brief period, it's going to be tracking ahead of it, especially if they keep up this steady release slate of games and can get a Pokemon game out in 2018 (their new listing today suggests Pokemong could very well land in 2018).

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
A supply constrained switch launched during a non holiday period is already almost tracking with PS4 during a similar period. Yes, it's behind, but not so much so that it's unreasonable to think it can't catch up and track past it.

Remember, Switch isn't just Nintendo's new home console. It's essentially their new handheld. Their last handheld just hit 69 million units. That means Switch has a good shot, realistically, to hit that 70 million unit barrier at some point, which the PS4 also only just recently passed ( I think, maybe it's still slightly behind that until holidays).

That doesn't mean the Switch is going to outsell the PS4 overall perse, but I think for a brief period, it's going to be tracking ahead of it, especially if they keep up this steady release slate of games and can get a Pokemon game out in 2018 (their new listing today suggests Pokemong could very well land in 2018).
PS4 was supply cointrained until May 2014 too...

Aroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their forecast is below PS4... what are you talking about???

Maybe I'm getting this wrong but with actual forecast Switch will be at 16.7m at the same time period...

And 18.5m for PS4 is SOLD not shipped lol

You are getting that wrong.

That would be 16.7 million in the first 13 months on the market for Switch, not the first 14.5 months on the market. So, you'd figure you have had a million at least for another 6 weeks worth of sales. You can easily see that fluctuate up or down to meet, excced, or fall short of PS4's figures in the same time period.

Also, obviously, this assumes Nintendo hits their new projections. They could exceed it, they could fall short.

M-PG71C

Oct 29, 2017

With that logic, Sony went third party too with their mobile initiatives. Hell, MS is already half-way there with publishing Minecraft on literally everything.

As for the second point, the Switch is for all intents and purposes a platform that competes with what MS and Sony has. Trying to define it as anything but is silly and is largely an argument of semantics.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why can't we all just accept that the PlayStation 4 and the Nintendo Switch both had fantastic launches and are doing really well.

There isn't any data to suggest the success of one is negatively impacting the other.

For those who want actual hardware shipment numbers

PS4-

upload_2017-10-30_16-54-48.png

By March 31st 2018 PS4 is forecasted to reach 78 million.

Switch-

2.74m - March 31st 2017 (2.74m)
1.97m- June 30th 2017 (4.70m)
2.93m - September 30th 2017 (7.63m)

By March 31st 2018 Switch is forecasted to reach 16.74m

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
You are getting that wrong.

That would be 16.7 million in the first 13 months on the market for Switch, not the first 14.5 months on the market. So, you'd figure you have had a million at least for another 6 weeks worth of sales. You can easily see that fluctuate up or down to meet, excced, or fall short of PS4's figures in the same time period.

Also, obviously, this assumes Nintendo hits their new projections. They could exceed it, they could fall short.
19.9m is 13.5 months for PS4 if you want to cherry pick months... the difference is less than 15 days.

Last edited:

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
I think the fact that we're now arguing about Switch vs. PS4 numbers is already a pretty good sign, even if I don't see it reaching those highs.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, unless we can somehow find exact monthly shipments for both this comparison just won't work. The holiday season is way too important of a factor in game console sales.

Let's just be happy the industry is looking healthy, and then all get back to Mario. I mean work.

I think the fact that we're now arguing about Switch vs. PS4 numbers is already a pretty good sign, even if I don't see it reaching those highs.

Basically.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If the Switch does PS4 shipments or it does a little under or a little more does that really mean anything in real world impact? It's meaningless. When a system sells in that ball park it will turn heads. That's basically all that matters.

Djawed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch has a long life ahead of it. Seeing what they brought it's first year im glad they have a healthy platform for themselves. Cant wait for metroid prime 4.

I stand by the idea that a lot of people didn't even know Nintendo had released a new console since the Wii in 2006. In the perception of the mainstream, the Switch turned heads because "hey, it's the new Nintendo. It's been years and years."

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be March-Feb and Nov-October? Otherwise that's 13 months.
Yea that's right, it would be the end of February though and the end of October

If you go by 365 days inseated of just months then it would be March 3rd 2017 to 2018 and november 15 2013 to 2014

Last edited:

Boney

Oct 28, 2017
Santiago
A lot of people forget how absolutely dire the Wii U's first year was. If you align the launches, by this point in the Wii U's life the only releases after launch that could be considered notable were Monster Hunter 3U and Lego City. Again launch aligned, where we are now at Mario Odyssey's launch, the Wii U would be waiting another four months to get its first actual tentpole release in Mario 3D World, with Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, and Wind Waker HD being the only notable releases between now and then. The difference between these first years is beyond night and day. Switch deserves every ounce of this success.
It really is quite simple. Not even Nintendo super fans wanted a Wii U and the people who begrudgingly bought it for (insert stolen game here) would still be negative towards recommending it to others. It was ill conceived and badly realized, with consumer confusion, apathy towards the software line up and terrible hardware optimization (remember those 2 minute reboots?).

Iwata always believed that one game can change everything, and it has always been one where technology and ingenuity converge in order to create something that wasn't possible before. Super Mario Bros, Pokemon, FFVII, MGS2 and Wii Sports captures the public's imagination, and that effect is exponential and doesn't require direct exposure after some momentum has been established.

The "it" game doesn't necessarily have to be a launch title, but needs to be able to establish a premise or narrative for a console. Where outside elements and the state of the competition play a determining role. Breath of the Wild has shouldered a great deal. It's perfect to play in long sessions and in burst handheld sessions. It invokes players to be active agents in a game world, being fascinating for older and younger gamers like. And it dares developers to think big and rewards them with an engaged player base.

Medium term sustainability is a given due to the positive mind share gathered. The crux now is how will Nintendo entice other publishers to support the system on a timely fashion. Skyrim, Doom and Wolfenstein are proactively positioning themselves in the console's library, and Nintendo needs to turn those reactive publishers to move not on the sales of the former, but on the opportunity that the strong software calendar presents.