• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
I stand by the idea that a lot of people didn't even know Nintendo had released a new console since the Wii in 2006. In the perception of the mainstream, the Switch turned heads because "hey, it's the new Nintendo. It's been years and years."

Yep. Just last year I had to explain to a gamer what a Wii U was. In the mean time some of my extended family had even played on my Wii U and later on didn't realize there was a follow-up to the Wii. If it didn't register to them, the greater public stood no chance at all.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said this in BCT a while back, but don't be surprised to see third-parties finally release games same day on Switch as PS4 and Xbone with no gimped features. This thing is HUGE.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, Pokemon Go seems to have done nothing for Japan in the slightest. I suppose there are only so many people that you can draw into the funnel at this point over there. As an aside, I'm personally a little bummed out that Black/White are the lowest on the global sales list, because I feel those are the best Pokemon games we've gotten in many, many years.
Sun and Moon are better than B/W. So are Heart Gold and Soul Silver. Platinum and B/W rank about the same for me. Very fun.

Sun and Moon> HG/SS>Emerald=Platinum=B/W

BW's region complexity was lacking compared to Johto, Hoenn( my favorite) and Sinnoh. B/W had awesome pokemon though

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After 4 quarters (less than 11 months): 13.5m
After 5 quarters (less than 14 months): 19.9m

There is no exactly data for 1 year.

PS. To be fair it is ~10.5 and ~13.5 months... just saying because I saw some guys using 14.5 months that is wrong.
Yea I made that mistake, I thought they were saying up to February but it was January

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Just last year I had to explain to a gamer what a Wii U was. In the mean time some of my extended family had even played on my Wii U and later on didn't realize there was a follow-up to the Wii. If it didn't register to them, the greater public stood no chance at all.
To this day I find the name choice "Wii U" so baffling.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Just an amazing start for Nintendo.

Kind of wish ARMS had done a bit better, but it is what it is. 1.5-2 million LTD by the end of the system's lifetime isn't too bad, but I doubt we see an ARMS 2 anytime soon.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Switch hardware forecast increased to 14M units from 10M originally.
Can someone explain this 14M number? I assume this is number for the entire fiscal year? How does the launch date of the Switch aline with the start of the fiscal year?

As a follow up, Can anyone give me the first year sales of the XBONE and PS4?

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Just an amazing start for Nintendo.

Kind of wish ARMS had done a bit better, but it is what it is. 1.5-2 million LTD by the end of the system's lifetime isn't too bad, but I doubt we see an ARMS 2 anytime soon.

Likewise. Wish it had been a launch title so it would have had room to breathe before Splatoon. Still a solid foundation for a new IP!

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I guess people like really really good videogames that are fresh and innovative and costly to develop and will even spend a lot on hardware to play said games in any way they prefer. Metroid, you're up next.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain this 14M number? I assume this is number for the entire fiscal year? How does the launch date of the Switch aline with the start of the fiscal year?
The launch of the Switch happened in March. The fiscal years ends at the end of March. So this 14 million figure is the new forecast for the entirety of this fiscal year towards the end of March 2018, and the launch month is not included in that forecast.

So in essence 14 million this FY + 2.7 million last FY = 16.7 million LTD by the end of March 2018.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
The launch of the Switch happened in March. The fiscal years ends at the end of March. So this 14 million figure is the new forecast for the entirety of this fiscal year towards the end of March 2018, and the launch month is not included in that forecast.

So in essence 14 million this FY + 2.7 million last FY = 16.7 million LTD by the end of March 2018.
Much thanks.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna guess if Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia didn't make the million seller list by now it probably won't at all.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree on both points.

Arms was clearly a major production for Nintendo. It comes from the team who made Mario Kart 8, I believe, and the quality shows in every aspect of the game. They clearly spared no expense making this game - from the visuals to animation to online features etc - it's all done to the highest quality.

I have to imagine they were hoping to create a thriving new online franchise that would help justify the online cost that was to be introduced this year (and then delayed). Instead, the game feels like it has just pretty much faded away, both in terms of sales and in terms of online presence in Nintendo fan circles. You'd expect more than 1 mil sales and then flatlining from a dev like EPD, I think. I doubt it gets a sequel. The only disappointing note in a torrent of good news.

As for your second point, personally, I played both testpunches and loved everything about it... except for the gameplay, which I thought was really surprisingly mediocre and unengaging.

I doubt it. Nintendo is talking about Arms like it was a success for them and with their expectations, including in this Quarter Result. It's obviously going to get a sequel some day with the way that they're talking about the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Nintendo is talking about Arms like it was a success for them and with their expectations, including in this Quarter Result. It's obviously going to get a sequel some day with the way that they're talking about the game.
ARMS probably underperformed a bit.
It's a bit disappointing, but probably justified.
Great characters and designs but the game doesnt' utilize it properly.

Updates have been slow, no amiibo to add extra revenue.

They probably didnt' spend that much on it, however. Which is kind of the issue with the game so maybe it is profitable.

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. Switch had an amazing first few months.
But since I don't think 3rd party software will play a big role on Switch ever, its now up to Nintendo to follow up in the coming years with great 1st party software. And thats exactly where they ran into problems on WiiU, so it'll be interesting to see if Nintendo 1st party is now able to carry a console on its own. If they can crank 2-3 great, big exclusives a year I could see Switch becoming a great success and maybe even outselling XB1 in the long run.
Thats rather easy for them

They have 22 studios all making games for one platform

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
Glad to see Nintendo back in the saddle. Hopefully, they will put two and two together, in this case, the fact being that great games utilizing their IP (and to a smaller extent, newer IP) leads to happy customers and investors. I am excited to see what they do with Pokemon, Metroid and the full stable of games they have at their disposal.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With that logic, Sony went third party too with their mobile initiatives. Hell, MS is already half-way there with publishing Minecraft on literally everything.

As for the second point, the Switch is for all intents and purposes a platform that competes with what MS and Sony has. Trying to define it as anything but is silly and is largely an argument of semantics.

Sure, if Sony are making games for iOS and Android then they absolutely are a 3rd party dev in that regard. For Nintendo, though, it was seen as this big deal that they'd never have their in house developers design games for software they hadn't designed themselves. There was this argument that the synergy between their hardware and software was too precious for them to lose, that without said synergy that the games wouldn't be "Nintendo games".

All 'going 3rd party' ever meant was breaking that philosophy and developing for other people's hardware. It never meant that they would stop developing their own hardware, and I certainly never argued as such. So the fact that they are developing for mobile was them going 3rd party, and it was a really momentous decision. A big deal.

And as for the Switch, it's not semantics, because the fact that Switch is a portable console is a large part of what is making it so attractive to consumers. If the Switch was, in fact, a dedicated home console would it have anywhere near the success as it has? I don't think so. Me personally, I use it as a home console 95% of the time. But that doesn't change that the systems unique selling point is its hybrid nature - that it is a portable that can hook up to your TV.

Again, it's not semantics when the portable nature of the device is intrinsic to its success, with sales more in line with previous Nintendo portables than home consoles. I don't see why Nintendo would try another dedicated home console given all of this.

Switch is a dedicated home console. I can play it on my TV, is a home console regardless of mental gymnastics. "Going third party" meant stopping creating hardware, which they did not.

You tried iT, shady and cheerful animated cloud.

Answered above. I always argued that they should continue making handhelds and start making mobile games. I called that 'going 3rd party'. That's what they did. Maybe that's not what others meant, but it's what I always argued.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
If they don't reach 80 Mns I won't personally consider Switch a "success" for those reasons, no. How could Nintendo be satisfied with selling less hardware than in the previous gen which was already a huge step back from the previous one? I'm a Switch owner and I hope it will do really well but I think we have to take this into account while considering Switch sales and how well Nintendo is really doing.

Your metric is slightly off but I agree with the underlying point.

Someone who purchased a Wii U can also possibly own a 3DS. Nintendo would have the best ways of determining who those people are but ultimately their expectation is going to be "we hope we sell better than the 3DS+the remaining Wii U exclusive owners combined."

It doesn't matter that the Switch is selling at almost double the premium of the 3DS now. Back then Nintendo hoped for the 3DS to sell well at price point that was much closer to the Switch's current price than the slashed priced they were forced to do.

They attempted to sell a 3DS at near console prices and failed just like the Vita for exactly the same reasons (you can't charge console prices without offering a console experience).

This time they ensured their handheld capable device is also a console capable device and we are now rewarding them for it.

I would roughly say the Switch would have to sell more than 72 million for Nintendo to be satisfied with the long term successful their platform.

Regardless of their long term expectations Nintendo must be ecstatic that their platform is getting nearly Wii Year 1 levels of positive feedback from customers and the media. They can reach totally new levels of euphoria if every one of the biggest Western devs decide to churn out their games on their platform during year 2.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
A little bit of info not highlighted by Nintendo.
Nintendo shipped 2 million units of Wii U games (counting only games with a retail release) in the first half of the current fiscal year.
Nintendo's forecast for the full fiscal year was 3 million units.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

As a follow up, Can anyone give me the first year sales of the XBONE and PS4?

HI, it means Switch will be around 17 million by March 31st 2018.

Don't be surprised if it ends way above tha, as others have mentioned rumors have it that Nintendo ordered 18 million units NOT 14 million so they might being conservative.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I'm gonna guess if Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia didn't make the million seller list by now it probably won't at all.

Never say never. I would wait after holidays.

A little bit of info not highlighted by Nintendo.
Nintendo shipped 2 million units of Wii U games (counting only games with a retail release) in the first half of the current fiscal year.
Nintendo's forecast for the full fiscal year was 3 million units.

Breath of the Wild performing better than expected?

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can't decide if Fates was so bad that it put a ton of people off or if the lack of waifus / eugenics gameplay put people off.

Boy I hope it's the first option. It certainly was for me. Glad I listened to the fan reception and picked it up - it was very good.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
I think that the assumption that Nintendo needs to sell the combined number for Wii U and 3DS is way off. Not only there was a meaningful overlap between owners of those systems, but a significant number of the 3DS sales (at the minimum 10% imo) are from people who upgraded their model. I mean this system just had so many revisions.

Besides, the end goal for Nintendo is not to sell hardware, but to have their own platform to deliver paid content and services. I don't think anyone would argue that a customer who purchased a Switch is much more valuable than a customer who purchased a 2DS or even a 3DS. Even if the Switch audience doesn't buy more games per year (which I absolutely believe they do), the games they buy are still 50% more expensive. Add a paid online service on top and the two are really not comparable in any way.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide if Fates was so bad that it put a ton of people off or if the lack of waifus / eugenics gameplay put people off.

Boy I hope it's the first option. It certainly was for me. Glad I listened to the fan reception and picked it up - it was very good.
I'm sure it has to do with the fact that it's a remake of a relatively unpopular game in the series.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

SoV is a remake from the black sheep of the franchise launched late into 3DS life. It has nothing to do with Fates, in fact many consider Fates to be a better game.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it has to do with the fact that it's a remake of a relatively unpopular game in the series.
No, man. It's totally Fates fault even though it's a critically acclaimed popular game! lol

Makes no sense at all. Game is a remake of an unpopular NES game releasing for the 3DS in 2017 just one year after 3 full FE games because the devs wanted to reuse the engine for one last quick game. Nintendo and IntSys seems happy with the performance too, especially that now Gaiden characters are popular enough to use in more things like Cipher, amiibos and Heroes.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017

I was put off by it releasing at a point in the 3DS' life cycle that I just wanted to focus on the Switch instead and the fact that I just like the artstyle less.

I couldn't care less about unit breeding or people's issues with Fates but Echoes seemed like it would feel musty in a couple of different ways if I picked it up.

Fire Emblem Switch is likely to get more attention from me regardless of whether or not it has shipping because it'll be on a system I'm focusing on.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But unpopular with who? It was never released in the west, so it's not like western consumers could have an opinion on it unless they were real hardcore messageboard types. I know I didn't, and I've been a Fire Emblem fan since the first english release on GBA. I didn't even know the original Gaiden existed. It's hard for me to believe that that was the reason. Something else to do with the marketing of the game must not have resonated with the typical purchaser of these games.

I was put off by it releasing at a point in the 3DS' life cycle that I just wanted to focus on the Switch instead and the fact that I just like the artstyle less.

I couldn't care less about unit breeding or people's issues with Fates but Echoes seemed like it would feel musty in a couple of different ways if I picked it up.

Fire Emblem Switch is likely to get more attention from me regardless of whether or not it has shipping because it'll be on a system I'm focusing on.

Yeah, I had forgotten the Switch factor. The fans of FE are the same types to be early adopters who move on. Makes sense.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
If they don't reach 80 Mns I won't personally consider Switch a "success" for those reasons, no. How could Nintendo be satisfied with selling less hardware than in the previous gen which was already a huge step back from the previous one? I'm a Switch owner and I hope it will do really well but I think we have to take this into account while considering Switch sales and how well Nintendo is really doing.

ggx2ac > PS4 + Vita would have to reach PS3+PSP sales for them to be satisfying I guess yes. PS4 will have done really well when all is said and done but Vita was such a disaster (as was the WiiU for Nintendo) that they probably will end up far from it and this gen as a result won't be as great as the previous one because of that. Of course we are just talking about unit sales here which is an incomplete picture of the situation but still a very important one.

The important thing here is software. The Switch will easily and handily surpass 3DS/Wiiu software numbers combined. Its a software beast. I think it will also pass 3DS/WiiU combined in hardware sales and go over 100 million. In the end its important to sell lots of software, though. Wii sold 900 million plus games. Switch can surpass that and add to that the mobile business and Nintendos profits will be higher then ever.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome numbers, looking forward to Nintendo spending some of that money towards a new Sin & Punishment and fzero ;)

(Also first post yay!)

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty amazing. I was pretty vocal about some of the decisions Nintendo seem to have made when they revealed this thing and was pretty skeptical about it being a success but so far they're really knocking it out of the park. On reflection it would have been a real downer for traditional gaming if both Xbox AND Switch had performed poorly in the market. Let's just hope Nintendo can sustain these numbers long term.