• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Pokemon GO would have made Nintendo even more money if they put more of their eggs into that basket. But, at the time when they partnered with Niantic they were still skeptical if something like that could take off. Boy did it ever

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I think that the assumption that Nintendo needs to sell the combined number for Wii U and 3DS is way off. Not only there was a meaningful overlap between owners of those systems, but a significant number of the 3DS sales (at the minimum 10% imo) are from people who upgraded their model. I mean this system just had so many revisions.

Well that's something I forgot to consider when pointing out that you can't use both values combined but ultimately you're focusing too much on the literal simplistic meaning and not seeing the underlying meaning. More console sales translates into more sales of ....

Besides, the end goal for Nintendo is not to sell hardware, but to have their own platform to deliver paid content and services. I don't think anyone would argue that a customer who purchased a Switch is much more valuable than a customer who purchased a 2DS or even a 3DS. Even if the Switch audience doesn't buy more games per year (which I absolutely believe they do), the games they buy are still 50% more expensive. Add a paid online service on top and the two are really not comparable in any way.

You assume too much that we are thinking of hardware being the only thing that matters. The hardware sales is the strongest indicator of what's the ceiling for everything else.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
You assume too much that we are thinking of hardware being the only thing that matters. The hardware sales is the strongest indicator of what's the ceiling for everything else.

Sure, I didn't mean to imply that hardware sales are not important. They mean a lot in terms of the financial potential of the platform. But the combined number of Wii U and 3DS isn't a helpful metric, and I've seen more than one post setting this as a "make or break" goal that Switch has to achieve.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Did Nintendo release numbers on eshop only games? From what we hear from 3rd parties the eshop seems to be doing very well. That money is surely contributing to Nintendo's bottom line as well.

AkiraGr

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Athens
First post by the way, hello to everyone here. Amazing results. Let's see how Super Mario Odyssey will sell during the holidays. I am sure it will blast the charts plus keep Switch momentum going.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Man I feel like next years is even going to be a better year for them. Considering they are making new games maybe even new IP's for the switch.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I didn't mean to imply that hardware sales are not important. They mean a lot in terms of the financial potential of the platform. But the combined number of Wii U and 3DS isn't a helpful metric, and I've seen more than one post setting this as a "make or break" goal that Switch has to achieve.
And you're right. Hardware sales are not the correct metric here. The 3DS sold 70 million to date but the software numbers arent really that strong at all. Wii U was an even bigger disaster. Not only did the hardware not sell, the users who bought the system really didnt buy that much games for it at all.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I stand by the idea that a lot of people didn't even know Nintendo had released a new console since the Wii in 2006. In the perception of the mainstream, the Switch turned heads because "hey, it's the new Nintendo. It's been years and years."
I agree.

After the Wii U first year, when PS4 and Xbox One were set to launch, one of the more popular radioshows here in Holland were discussing videogames and being hyped for PS4. During the conversation one of the DJ's asks when Nintendo will release a new system. The Wii was Nice, but they wanted a new system with a new Mario. Hopefully they will announce something soon were the exact words used. At that point the Wii U was out for a year.

Its almost baffeling to see how Nintendo presented the Switch to the public compared to the Wii U. Almost Insane.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
And you're right. Hardware sales are not the correct metric here. The 3DS sold 70 million to date but the software numbers arent really that strong at all. Wii U was an even bigger disaster. Not only did the hardware not sell, the users who bought the system really didnt buy that much games for it at all.

What's your source on this? 68.98M/343.07M ratio for the 3DS vs. 13.56M/100.85M for the Wii U suggests that the Wii U had a higher attach rate than the 3DS.

Source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
What's your source on this? 68.98M/343.07M ratio for the 3DS vs. 13.56M/100.85M for the Wii U suggests that the Wii U had a higher attach rate than the 3DS.

Source:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

Traditionally consoles have better attach rates. See DS compared to Wii. DS had a 150 million shipment yet had around the same software sales as the Wii, which shipped 100 million. Wii U has a lower attach rate than the Wii as well. Switch is behaving more like a console, although its too early to tell where it will end eventually. I think it will surpass the Wii.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I've got graphs now.

The following except for the last graph are YoY comparisons for the quarter.

YoY comparison of the quarter. You can barely see Nintendo's operating income last FY.

DNa38zMUIAASzZ_.jpg

Geographical Sales breakdown, this is one of the graphs that separates Europe from Other:

DNa39WqVAAEGWpG.jpg

Sales breakdown by category:

DNa399bUEAA3OfM.jpg

Geographical breakdown of Nintendo Switch sales specifically, as mentioned it separates Europe from Other:

DNa3-mqUIAIxWTH.jpg

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That software sales forecast is quite the difference. Even the original 35 mil was high was it not?

The wii u original software sales target up to March 31st 2013 was 24 million. How they came up with that figure I don't know considering the line up was so barren.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've got graphs now.

The following except for the last graph are YoY comparisons for the quarter.

Geographical breakdown of Nintendo Switch sales specifically, as mentioned it separates Europe from Other:

DNa3-mqUIAIxWTH.jpg

This graph is especially interesting, since the stock/supply situation in Europe has been suggesting relatively low demand compared to Japan and the Americas, but the revenue figures seem a lot higher than that would suggest. This graph includes software and hardware numbers right? I wonder if the relatively higher prices in some of those regions affect that.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
iwata was talking up form factors in 2014 and 2015, and nintendo fucks around with revisions most commonly on handhelds.

gb:
game boy (1989)
game boy pocket (1996)
game boy light (1998)
game boy color (1998)

gba:
gba (2001)
gba sp (2003)
gb micro (2005)
gba sp + (2005)

ds:
ds (2004)
ds lite (2006)
dsi (2008)
dsi xl (2009)

3ds:
3ds (2011)
3ds xl (2012)
2ds (2013)
new 3ds / new 3ds xl (2014)
new 2ds xl (2017)

i could totally see 'switch mini' out late next year to replace the handheld-only form-factor of the 3ds.
Home consoles. Sorry I didn't specify. I know they did a Wii Mini at the end of life cycle, but this might be different with the Switch being a hybrid. I know the NES and SNES got revisions, but that was at the very tail end of the generation and really no huge improvements. Then the GC saw one and removed an AV port from the back of the console. Wii got one, but it was a small and stripped down version, again at the end.

Maybe there is hope with the Switch since it is half handheld, half home console.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This graph is especially interesting, since the stock/supply situation in Europe has been suggesting relatively low demand compared to Japan and the Americas, but the revenue figures seem a lot higher than that would suggest. This graph includes software and hardware numbers right? I wonder if the relatively higher prices in some of those regions affect that.
I think Nintendo has always been a little weaker in Europe compared to sony/msft but it's extra popularity in Japan makes up for it

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo has always been a little weaker in Europe compared to others but it's extra popularity in Japan makes up for it

What I meant was that the anecdotal reports (and UK software charts) seemed to suggest that their Europe sales would probably be the weakest of the major regions, but this chart shows them ahead of Japan even, which is surprising. At least to me.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I think that it is hard to talk about Europe like that. There are several countries there with big cultural differences that translate into video games sales.

In Spain, the Switch has become the best-selling console ever at launch with 45k Switch sold in 3 days, Xbox is very weak there:
http://bgr.com/2017/03/11/nintendo-switch-sales-recording-breaking-spain/

In France, the Switch is already above 400k and Nintendo France is aiming to reach 800k before year's end. That would put it on Wii's very pace. Xbox 1 took time to beat the WiiU, that is a testimony of Nintendo's strenght in France. France is very found of Japanese culture and it is the 2nd country for the Manga industry for instance.

In Germany, Switch has already more 200k sellers than the Xbox.

In the UK, it sold 300k and is tracking ahead of the Xbox but fairly behind the PS4.

What I am trying to say here is that Europe is not a country like the USA or Japan. It is way more heterogeneous. The Playstation brand is strong everywhere in Europe but Nintendo is very strong too especially in Southern Europe. The Xbox is strong in Nothern Europe but way weaker in Southern Europe.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
Damn, nice. The holidays are going to be wild, but for now they've done really well selling the console and its games…in large part because they've made good hardware and games.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Japan probably has a lower average software attach rate than other markets

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Thats a rather strange argument regarding the software discussion on the last page;

Looking at how Nintendo approached software announcements (sans Zelda) games are in stores within the year. MK 8 Deluxe, Arms, Pokken, Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 all release in less than a year since their initial announcement. Complimented by Mario + Rabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors. For 2018 they announced Kirby, Yoshi and Fire Emblem which I doubt will be the only titles. Nintendo keep their cards close to the chest and I expect in january we'll get a Direct which will have plans for the first quarter.

With a surprise or two sprinkled into it. Its a strategy choice. Hey Switch (and future) owners, did you like the system in its first year? Well you guys hold on to your buts, because these will launch in 2018! If you talk about releases next year in January, they don't seem that far away.

The release schedule for 2017 has been VERY well thought out, from when to announce things, what to show and most importantly what games and at what pace to release.

You would think 2018 show be most the same, whick is an exciting prospect.

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
I've got graphs now.
Geographical Sales breakdown, this is one of the graphs that separates Europe from Other:

DNa3-mqUIAIxWTH.jpg

It is really weird that the Switch revenue in Europe + Other is only 18% higher than Japan this Quarter, when they sold 20% more Switches and 89%(!) more software in Europe + Other. Especially as the console itself is quite a bit cheaper in Japan than in most other countries

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doing great. Hopefully we get some more software mentions in the Q&A. They have to mention third party sales, but honestly those are doing great.

Enzo88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Guys I think that it is hard to talk about Europe like that. There are several countries there with big cultural differences that translate into video games sales.

In Spain, the Switch has become the best-selling console ever at launch with 45k Switch sold in 3 days, Xbox is very weak there:
http://bgr.com/2017/03/11/nintendo-switch-sales-recording-breaking-spain/

In France, the Switch is already above 400k and Nintendo France is aiming to reach 800k before year's end. That would put it on Wii's very pace. Xbox 1 took time to beat the WiiU, that is a testimony of Nintendo's strenght in France. France is very found of Japanese culture and it is the 2nd country for the Manga industry for instance.

In Germany, Switch has already more 200k sellers than the Xbox.

In the UK, it sold 300k and is tracking ahead of the Xbox but fairly behind the PS4.

What I am trying to say here is that Europe is not a country like the USA or Japan. It is way more heterogeneous. The Playstation brand is strong everywhere in Europe but Nintendo is very strong too especially in Southern Europe. The Xbox is strong in Nothern Europe but way weaker in Southern Europe.

Listen to this guy.

Thanks for this, from outside people tend to treat Europe like one big country XD

NeuralEmblem

Oct 25, 2017
All these great Nintendo financials make my portfolio very happy, even as my wallet's crying from all the Switch games.

SillyGoose

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About people talking about switch numbers vs 3DS + Wii U numbers:

You also need to remember Nintendo is now on smartphones as well which wasn't a factor a couple of years ago.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Smash Bros are still possibilities for the next year or two.

That's just for known mega-hits. We don't know what other games are they up to that will become the next mega-hits ala Splatoon.
I do wonder if we might see a Mario Kart from the ground up for Switch, albeit probably a few years off.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if we might see a Mario Kart from the ground up for Switch, albeit probably a few years off.

They could always release late into the Switch's life, and then rerelease early onto the next console cycle. It worked for them. As well as dual platforms for Zelda worked for TP and BOTW, tho both examples also were helped by the relative closeness of the graphic power of the respective consoles. If the Switch successor is a solid jump, one of these strategies may not be that good an idea.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Threw together a chart of the Wii U and Switch's third party retail games (excluding JP) for people to have a look at. Both are in roughly 7 months from launch. Didn't make a new thread because it's not exactly news.

Edit: after like a billion updates i THINK i have them all

no it's not intentional that the wii u version is 4 and the switch is 3. i wasn't reformatting the image after realizing i left off 20+ switch games

Last edited:

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The important thing here is software. The Switch will easily and handily surpass 3DS/Wiiu software numbers combined. Its a software beast. I think it will also pass 3DS/WiiU combined in hardware sales and go over 100 million. In the end its important to sell lots of software, though. Wii sold 900 million plus games. Switch can surpass that and add to that the mobile business and Nintendos profits will be higher then ever.

Yes I agree :) and I think that's the whole point: focusing on a single platform in order to release much more games on it to make it so much attractive that it will beat combined hardware sales and eventually software sales too than what they did in the previous gen. That's the plan I guess and imo Switch could only be considered a success if it ends up this way. Otherwise we could easily argue that they maybe shouldn't have merged those two businesses in one like that...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Threw together a chart of the Wii U and Switch's third party retail games (excluding JP) for people to have a look at. Both are in roughly 7 months from launch. Didn't make a new thread because it's not exactly news.

Quality > quantity?

Edit: Also, add FIFA 13 to Wii U and NBA 2K18 to Switch

That can't be an exhaustive list. Even with JP, that's extremely low for selling ~12m units of third party software. Wasn't the number for Europe posted earlier in this thread, and it was somewhere around 40 games?

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
That can't be an exhaustive list. Even with JP, that's extremely low for selling ~12m units of third party software. Wasn't the number for Europe posted earlier in this thread, and it was somewhere around 40 games?

If you're able to find more, please tell me so I can add it. I'm sure I'm missing some. Got heads up on shovelware on Twitter so I added 'em

Oct 27, 2017

Quality > quantity?

Edit: Updated to put in some shit I forgot

Missing a bunch of stuff:
Super Bomberman R
NBA 2K18
Nights of Azure 2
Sine Mora Ex
Poi: Explorer Edition
Rayman Legends Definitive Edition
Tiny Barbarian DX
88 heroes:. 98 heroes Edition
Touhou Kobuto V
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Oct 27, 2017
If you're able to find more, please tell me so I can add it. I'm sure I'm missing some. Got heads up on shovelware on Twitter so I added 'em
Thought of More:
Resident Evil Revelations Collection
Rime
Just Dance 2018
Skylanders Imaginaters
Sonic Forces
Ittle Dew2+
Superbeat Xonic
Pokken Tournament DX (since you are including Fire Emblem Warriors)

These are all releases through November, might still be forgetting some.

Oct 27, 2017
Also 1 more I just thought of, Lumo comes out in November. Also WWE 2k18 is a Fall release so it likely comes out in November.