• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
A *new* Switch i wouldn't be out of the ordinary for late 2020 or so, if they did want to release another Mario Kart they could do one that runs enhanced on that.

I still like my idea of incorporating one of those dual view screens that can display an entirely different image to player one's side and player two's, it would go really well with the Switch concept.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hello!

A common occurrence among Switch sales discussion is the idea that Switch is mostly still a really big success in the US and in Japan, and that in other regions (most discussed is Europe) demand for the system has died down a bit. Now that the third quarterly earnings release that includes the Switch has been released, we can trace the shipments throughout the year and see how these stack up relative to the total.

So, here are the numbers:

FY2016 full year report:
Quarterly shipments total: 2,740,000
Quarterly shipment Other: 940,000
Quarterly percentage share: 34.30%

Cumulative total shipments: 2,740,000
Cumulative shipments to Other: 940,000
Cumulative percentage share Other: 34.30%

FY2017 Q1 report:
Quarterly shipments total: 1,960,000
Quarterly shipment Other: 690,000
Quarterly percentage share: 35.20%

Cumulative total shipments: 4,700,000
Cumulative shipments to Other: 1,630,000
Cumulative percentage share Other: 34,68%

FY2017 Q2 report:
Quarterly shipments total: 2,930,000
Quarterly shipment Other: 930,000
Quarterly percentage share: 31,74%

Cumulative total shipments: 7,630,000
Cumulative shipments to Other: 2,560,000
Cumulative percentage share Other: 33,55%

So, as can be seen by the bolded percentages, the share of the markets collectively referred to as "Other" (including Europe and non-Japanese Asia, for example) saw a slight drop in shipments during the last quarter. This fits in a general trend where the console was more readily available in the US as well (Japan is still hell hole), and therefore more generally saw a lower demand compared to numbers shipped. Therefore, although it is true that demand was less in relative terms, the drop is not large, which suggests that demand is still quite strong in that region. What's more, when looking at absolute demand, the most recently finished quarter saw better abolsute sales number in Other than the quarter before it, so, in conclusion, I would say that demand is still going strong and is only slightly more muted than other regions, relatively speaking.