• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So they increased their forecast. For reference I believe that WSJ rumour said they planned to manufacture 17m units this FY, so 14m might not even be the ceiling. That would be pretty wild.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
I expected a little better for Breath of the Wild but Arms is doing much better that I expected especially for a new I.P. I'm curious whether people have sales data for other fighters for comparisons.

Remember, Breath of the Wild also launched on WiiU and sold somewhere in the ballpark of a million copies on that console.

Combining WiiU and Switch sales, Breath of the Wild has already climbed to fourth* in the series, behind the original Zelda, Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess.

I think it is pretty safe to say that BOTW will eventually cross 10 million units sold and become the best selling Zelda game of all-time.

*Not including remaster sales.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
BotW - 4.7M
MK8D - 4.42M
S2 - 3.61M
12S - 1.37M
ARMS - 1.35M
These are pretty crazy numbers

Hopefully the 1M+ for ARMS means that they will continue to work on the franchise, because it has a lot of potential even though I find the current game to be kind of slight

I can't wait to see numbers for Pokken, Fire Emblem Heroes, and Mario. Odyssey could sell like a monster, especially as the holiday season approaches

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Upcoming releases

DNXm-YuWAAAfiHW.jpg:orig

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Smart Device, IP related income: ¥17,925 million

Nintendo's earnings share from Pokémon Go:
(Share of profit of entities accounted for using equity method:) ¥6,429 million

For the above two, Smart Device, Pokémon Go, Nintendo is earning a lot more money from their own smartphone games compared to Pokémon Go.

Read the above quote

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
While far from impossible they have to sell more than double what they have sold so far in 5 months. Holiday included for sure but to early tomake a definite statement.
Switch don't sell in Sweden at least, not the largest market but doubt it's the only market with that trend. US and Japan seems to carry Switch more than Europe.

Do you have any numbers to back up the bolded claim?

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Wow I'm happy to see Splatoon 2 doing so well.

Picked it up as a newcomer to the franchise a week ago and it's a really refreshing MP game.

Hilarious too that Switch will outsell Wii U ltd in a year.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully the 1M+ for ARMS means that they will continue to work on the franchise, because it has a lot of potential even though I find the current game to be kind of slight
They probably will. That said, hopefully ARMS 2 (or future ARMS updates, depending on how long they support the first game) continues to build on the foundation of the first game to add more depth in both gameplay & content.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how they going to sustain the momentum tho with Zelda, Mario and splatoon out in the first year.

The only comparable ones are pokemon and animal crossing I suppose?

Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Smash Bros are still possibilities for the next year or two.

That's just for known mega-hits. We don't know what other games are they up to that will become the next mega-hits ala Splatoon.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Switch is going to beat Wii U's LTD in it's first year.

And that's not an optimistic estimate, but an absolute certainty. It will be reality unless ships carrying Nintendo Switch units get lost in Bermuda Triangle or Waluigi becomes real and takes factories hostage.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Love it! Good for Nintendo. Super Mario will make this thing a beast this holiday, it will be nuts. Should reach 10 mil this year easily.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is that LTD did Switch?

If it was first half wouldn't it make more sense for more units to shift in the second half of the year.

Could Switch do more than 14m?

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Great numbers. Splatoon 2 is higher than I expected, and good to see an official Switch forecast revision! That means shipments will be at 16.7 million by the end of March, and by the end of the calendar year it'll be something like 14-15 million, meaning this holiday period will see about 7 million Switches.

Yes I was also going to note this. The hardware forecast is 14m in the period from April '17 to March '18, meaning total LTD shipments in March '18 would stand at 16.7m.

Do we have updated numbers for BOTW Wii U? I wonder what the total sales of the game are across both platforms.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Splatoon sold 4.87m total on Wii U. Splatoon 2 is already at 3.61m, a couple of months after launch.

Breath of the Wild sales are at least at 5.78m, assuming Wii U version didn't move any unit (it was at 1.08m back then). After holidays, it can well reach 7.5-8m shipment.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
How does that compare to other consoles over the same lifespan, cause that seems great at a glance?

Also I'd be interested to know how BotW sales compare to other games in the franchise?

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
We also just got another new IP this year in the form of ARMS. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has another new IP lined up for next year.
I wouldn't be surprised if they had several.

They have at least two in the pipeline we can vaguely guess at, Aonuma's thief project that's probably not until 2019 and something that's probably going to catch a lot of hate from core gamers but still potentially sell well because whatever it is it's going to be a nontraditional video game in the same sense Brain Age was. And I really doubt those are all.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
How a Near Dead Franchise like Fire Emblem Become a Money Printing Gacha Game Surpassing Pokemon. Somebody write this book.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic sales for the Switch. 14m in its first year would be incredible.

Splatoon 2 did even better than I thought it did. It should outsell its predecessor during the holidays easily. BotW and MK8D also enjoying nice legs, and I'm really curious to see how they'll continue to sell in the next few months.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch selling twice the number of games in the quarter as 3ds despite having a tenth of the install base just shows that install base isn't the crucial factor, it's engagement of that install base.

Any devs who aren't trying to get in on the ground floor of a new console release when the hardcore early adopters are literally begging to give you their money are making a huge mistake. I know that personally I've bought 10 games for my Switch in 2 months of ownership - totally unheard of for me typically - and some of them are games I never would have bought if I wasn't a new owner.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
it seems to me like japan is doing quite a lot for switch that PS4 could not replicate. A shame that consoles are so unpopular there, or i guess non nintendo dedicated machines in general at this point

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Net Sales: ¥374,041 million (~$3.29 billion), 173.4% increase YoY

Operating Income: ¥39,961 million (~$351 million)

Profit: ¥51,503 million (~$453 million)

Nintendo are almost at half a billion in profit before the 3rd quarter. That's a big deal.