• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Sin and Punishment is almost unplayable. The input lag is dreadful (tried both handheld and my TV), and the only control scheme that seems to work consistently is using Type 1 with the D-Pad and right stick.

The C-Buttons appear to be bugged as well - If you try to use the C-button assigned to the X button to move, and you're holding down ZR to fire, then it doesn't work. I tried this on two different controllers just to confirm that this isn't a controller issue.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
yzxFyks.jpg

This is meant to give you the nostalgic feeling of gathering on a friend's couch and being stuck w/the broken 3rd-party controller.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the framerate of mario64? Just wondering as the allstars one was only 30fps...

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Probably because they build Ethernet ports into their consoles so you don't have to rely on your spotty WiFi to do anything online.

It's 2021. People outside of maybe a handful of complainers on internet forums don't use ethernet en masse and if your solution doesn't work on WiFi , especially on a handheld device! You need to redo it.

Especially humorous in a thread where the first page has a bunch of people either unaware or unwilling to use the system level button remapping, like that's some collosal effort but also everyone should be using ethernet
wtf is this layout. Up is down? What??
This is meant to give you the nostalgic feeling of gathering on a friend's couch and being stuck w/the broken 3rd-party controller.
They put the nearest buttons on the N64 pad to the nearest buttons to A/B. Makes sense. What are you people suggesting they do otherwise, just not map anything to those two buttons?

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
youtu.be

The Best Way to Play Super Mario 64 - N64, DS, Wii, Wii U, or Switch? / MY LIFE IN GAMING

Go to https://zyro.com/special/mlig and use code MLIG to get 30% off your purchase. Thank you #Zyro for sponsoring today’s video!-----With Super Mario 3D All...

This video goes into a lot of the differences between Nintendo's N64 emulators, the part about bad controls on Wii and Wii U starts about 25 minutes in.

Other examples where the sensitivity is bad is when you're aiming arrows in Zelda (the shooting gallery is almost unbeatable on Wii U) or aiming the guns in first-person mode in Donkey Kong 64.
He specifically talks about there being no perceptible input lag on the Wii, which is what I was talking about. Also, he says Mario isn't as touchy with a GC controller compared with a Wii VC controller, which makes me think the controllers themselves are part of the culprit. Regardless, this is far preferable to me than I put lag, especially when there is probably a Raphnet adapter available. I wouldn't play N64 on WiiU.

Oct 25, 2017
I called this only a few hours earlier, in the GamePass for PC thread that's basically revolving around the same main gripe - that discussion is peppered with people wondering how things could go so wrong for so many people, yet it persists.

I wonder which set of angry customers will get what they want first.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Sin and Punishment is almost unplayable. The input lag is dreadful (tried both handheld and my TV), and the only control scheme that seems to work consistently is using Type 1 with the D-Pad and right stick.

The C-Buttons appear to be bugged as well - If you try to use the C-button assigned to the X button to move, and you're holding down ZR to fire, then it doesn't work. I tried this on two different controllers just to confirm that this isn't a controller issue.
It's not that it's bugged, it's working as "intended". Holding ZR works as a shift so that the face buttons work as if they were the C-buttons (so Y and A move you instead of Y and X). Why they chose to have both ZL and ZR function as Z in Sin & Punishment but kept that shift functionality is definitely weird.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Can't comment on the other issues, but that controller layout seems perfectly fine to me? Obviously the option to remap would be nice for anyone who disagrees, but... A and B aren't actually fully reversed, only vertically A is now higher than B. Placing A on down and B on right would still be reversing them, just horizontally instead of vertically... and wouldn't match the placement of A/B on the rest of Nintendo's controllers. The C-pad down and right being assigned to up and left might sound insane on paper but obviously you're meant to primarily use the thumbstick for the C-pad and those mappings are more for convenience in case a game uses those buttons as if they were X/Y buttons due to their proximity to the A/B buttons.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Whelp I'm glad I didn't buy into the hype. I already have multiple ways to play these games anyway but I'd like to have had them on the Switch as well. Hopefully they fix it, it's surprising cause NERD has been super good about emulation in the past.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing that's because holding ZR changes X from C-right to C-up.
VFhwwjb.jpg
It's not that it's bugged, it's working as "intended". Holding ZR works as a shift so that the face buttons work as if they were the C-buttons (so Y and A move you instead of Y and X). Why they chose to have both ZL and ZR function as Z in Sin & Punishment but kept that shift functionality is definitely weird.

That explains a lot. It's stupid as hell, but explains a lot.

WinBack controls fine, but the C-Buttons assigned to the D-Pad are a bit useless. One of them is Lock On and the other turns the camera left. Luckily you can use the right analog stick without issue.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Wow this is really bad and a shame to see. I wasn't buying this upgraded yearly thing anyway, but now I'm really glad I didn't.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Is Sin & Punishment just different where the X and Y buttons function as left and right C buttons rather than down and left?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why not just use the right stick for the C-Buttons? Or even better, make the whole stuff configurable? People have been emulating N64 games in all kinds of settings for 25 years , how can you get this so wrong?
Take a closer look at that screenshot
Is Sin & Punishment just different where the X and Y buttons function as left and right C buttons rather than down and left?
Yes, because you use left and right C to move.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Why not just use the right stick for the C-Buttons? Or even better, make the whole stuff configurable? People have been emulating N64 games in all kinds of settings for 25 years , how can you get this so wrong?
Right stick does do the C buttons, but I agree it needs to be configurable. Best you can get is remapping buttons in the Switch system settings.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
On second thought, I don't think I'm really missing anything by not getting this subscription. Fucking yikes. Between the emulation issues and weird-ass control layout (add remappable controls ffs), this is an easy "nah" from me.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
how lazy was this effort when they didn't even bother with pak functionality lol

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the first two levels of sin and punishment without being able to figure out how to move left or right. Was constantly pressing the wrong buttons in star Fox too. The layouts are going to take some getting used to

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
finally had a chance to try mario 64 and zelda. dont know about glitches and stuff since I didnt play long, but for mario at least the input lag is borderline unnoticable. and I mean literally I can't notice it at all, it feels great. Zelda feels a bit more sluggish but the entire game is like 20fps, plays just like I remember it though Lmao. I do hope nintendo does prep some fixes and patches if possible for all the stuff being pointed out

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
I have noticed any input or audio lag yet, but damn I wish I could remap the buttons.

I know you can do it on the system settings, but that shouldn't be the only option.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the C-Pad not just mapped to the right stick like the equivalent layout on literally every single controller released since? Hell, it was straight up called the C-Stick on GCN.
Especially humorous in a thread where the first page has a bunch of people either unaware or unwilling to use the system level button remapping, like that's some collosal effort but also everyone should be using ethernet
You should never ever be forced to use system-wide remapping for a single game or application.

Sanatana

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Pacific Northwest
This is legit infuriating. Great emulation websites like emuparadise with working ISO's get shut down and years later Nintendo charges $50 for a broken, lagging version of one. Ridiculous.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I literally just upgraded. Should have checked here first…oh well hope this stuff gets fixed or at least Nintendo says something

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
yeah i haven't noticed any input lag myself in my time with Star Fox, OOT, and SM64 but i do agree that the display and control issues are really disappointing, especially if this is NERD's work. they're usually better than this!

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the takes in here like always fucking headache inducing. You don't need a fucking "stable", connection to play a Nintendo 64 game, the game is fucking ancient and doesn't require even 1 mega of bandwidth you don't need the nasa connection. This is just laughable for real.

if Nintendo wanted to do this shit right from the beginning the game will ping the server key the server and the software will run form the hardware.

but Nintendo is gonna Nintendo and people will keep defending them no matter what they do.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Latency is really bad in Star Fox 64 as well. I didn't notice the latency in Super Mario 64, but I immediately noticed it in Star Fox because I've put hundreds of hours into the game between the N64 and 3DS versions.

Also baffling why they chose to make ZL be Z, and R be R. As now you have Arwing controls on two different shoulder buttons.

I also noticed graphical glitches in the opening to the first stage. Saw some lines pop up very briefly.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
To be fair, any potential button layout for N64 games on a standard controller sucks.

The N64 controller is the only real way to play these.

Shame about the emulation though, very less than ideal for a premium price.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
This is so fucking stupid. And the fact that they're locking N64 games behind a subscription model instead of just bringing back virtual console makes this even worse. $50 - $80 down the drain for something the Wii U's eshop and built in N64 emulator did infinitely better.