• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Release Date

Japan: June 23rd 1996.

North America: September 29th 1996.

Europe: March 1st 1997.

Features

-Cartridges with exclusive capabilities to break partnerships

-It's Region Free, well it technically isn't, but it can be! You only need to remove them little plastic bars inside the cartridge slot.

-4 controller ports built-in.

-Add-on ports on controllers that permits things like the Rumble Pack, Transfer pack, and memory cards to be used.

-The RAM add-on called the Expansion Pack (sold separately) can run games specifically made for it, such as Majora's Mask and Perfect Dark) and make some other run more smoothly or at higher resolutions.

How can I obtain the best image quality on my N64?:

You'll need a first gen N64 and mod it to output RGB signal. Here's a tutorial (thanks to Shiren Wonders from the N64forever forum).

Now...about emulation, let's get one thing straight: I do not support any form of piracy and so does ERA. Emulation is only a way to reach a better image quality and ensure a better future for our cartridges.

Why resort to emulation?: As mentioned above, emulation result to a better image quality because you can upgrade the resolution via the graphic settings. That goes without saying that people mostly all are equipped of HDTVs, N64 in their original forms produces terrible IQ on those, so if you don't have a good old CRT TV near, it will make the experience a bit more aggressive to the eye, to be polite.

How can transfer my N64 library on my PC so that I can be legit?: You'll need a Retrode with the N64 plug-in. Be sure that the switch inside your Retrode is at 3.3V for a successful extraction.

If you're interested into buying a Retrode w/adapters, here's the website. (Though I don't think it's available there anymore.)

What is the best emulator available and where can I find it?:

Project64. here,

Please note that the N64 emulation scene far from being perfect, but it definitely made progress in the recent years with the newer graphics plugins.

Is there N64 emulators for Android devices? Sure, there's N64oid which is free and can be found here and there's Mupen64 that can be found on the Google Play store.

If you ripped your collection via a friend's Retrode and want to feel legit on your PC, you can always grab one of those on Ebay. It works wonderfully!

You have a collection? Man, you're in the right place to show off your stuff! Even if it's just a bunch of loose cartridges, I don't give a damn, show it! This thread is all about showing that you love the N64, no matter how many cartridges and boxes you have!

I do not support piracy, every game pictures I'll be showing come from games in my personal collection. Piracy talk won't be tolerated.

Here a few pics of notable titles playing via P64, more to come in the future.

You saw a nice deal on Ebay of a game you already have? Share it with the people here so that fellow GAFers can have opportunities to expand their collections! Anything clever to say or any questions about 'X' game? Fun facts? Go for it!

Another thing, my knowledge isn't perfect, so if I spat some false info in my OP, say it and I'll make corrections. :)

Other Retro-ERA threads

Nintendo Gamecube |OT| Appreciation and Collecting Thread

Sega Dreamcast |OT| Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Sega Saturn |OT| Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Sony Playstation (PS1) |OT| Appreciation Thread - Worse Image Quality than your Kid's First Drawing

PS2 Appreciation Thread | The Greatest Sequel Ever Made

Game Boy / Color / Advance Collecting |OT| Now you're playing with power; PORTABLE POWER!

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive |OT| Blast Processing with the GOAT

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

RetroEra IOTI 40 years of Classic Backlog

The Ripping Thread |OT| How to build your own legitimate ROM library

C'mon ERA, hype! Show your love once again! Long live the Nintendo 64! :D

EDIT: I got my thread locked and got my thread priviledges removed after making this thread exposing ERA's new owner.

www.resetera.com

I believe there is a conversation to be had about ERA new owners and affiliations details.

Hey all, Most of you are probably aware, thanks to the warning up there, that ERA is no longer owned by a solo member of the community and was sold for 4.5M$ to MOBA Network by Cerium. Which, understandably after this deed, seemingly ran off with the money to never return again, for obvious...

It was fun while it lasted, but I'm not supporting this place anymore.

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT! Subbed to the thread and will have to find the other retro topics.

I guess I should get an updated photo posted. I'll definitely try to get that done in the next day or two. I believe I'm around 125 N64 games with 100+ boxed ( a couple still need manuals). Even with that many in my collection there are still several more that I'm wanting to add to my collection.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Greatest console of all time with the BEST Nintendo games.

Pokemon Stadium 2 (and 1)
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Banjo Kazooie (I know it's not Nintendo but still!)
Pokemon Snap
Yoshi's Story

Then you have other greats such as:

Turok
Bomberman Hero
Goldeneye 007
Chameleon Twist
Paper Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire
Kirby 64: Crystal Shards (an acquired taste taste admittedly)
F-Zero X
Blast Corps
Mario Party games

What a glorious system.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Looking to buy an ultrahdmi board - where's the best place to do so?

Not worried about the install, it seems relatively simple. I've done a few NESRGB and viletim N64 board mods before with no issue.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After playing through Mario Odyssey for the whole week-end, I have a huuuuge urge to play Super Mario 64.

I'll play this week for sure. What a great launch game it was.

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
I absolutely adore the N64. Playing 4 players matches with my brother and cousins is something that just can't be replicated today. Smash Bros, Mario Tennis and Kart and Party, the wrestling games. Jesus, so many memories. It may not have had the most games, but it have some of the best games.

It's still plugged at my cousin's house. Every once in a while I play a round of Star Fox 64 or Mario Tennis with her boyfriend when I'm there. Since I don't have the console anymore and I left my games with her, I mostly resort to the Wii U's emulation (yeah... I know) for my N64 fix.

Lovable console.

Also, just to get this out of the way, everyone should play this:
ogre-battle-64-cover.jpg

I can't describe just how much of a hidden gem this is. It's the closest to a Final Fantasy Tactics (albeit different) the console has ever received. It's available on both Wii and Wii U's VCs, so go for it.

I assume you guys already know about Body Harvest, Bomberman Hero, Mischief Makers and Space Station Silicon Valley, so yeah, OB64 is the one that gets my shout out.

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
After playing through Mario Odyssey for the whole week-end, I have a huuuuge urge to play Super Mario 64.

I'll play this week for sure. What a great launch game it was.
I'm in a similar boat, but I'm sure the quality of life improvements like not being taken back to the hub world after collecting a power moon have spoiled me.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm in a similar boat, but I'm sure the quality of life improvements like not being taken back to the hub world after collecting a power moon have spoiled me.

Eh, that's always been a thing even as soon as Banjo Kazooie first launched.

I played Super Mario 64 for a good few hours earlier after finishing Odyssey. It's still incredible.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried the Super Mario 64 HD pack for Dolphin? I was playing it last night and it's really excellent.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,382.0.html

There might not be a single other person here who cares about this, but they just recently released a firmware update for Retrode that now reads and writes all N64 save types (EEP, SRA and Flash). Up until a few days ago Retrode could not read the save file on your carts without doing some serious programming voodoo that goes way over my head. I'm in the middle of the (admittely lengthy) process of getting everything working but I've been waiting for a way to play N64 games on my PC using the original save files on my carts for years.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm very happy with the combo I've had for a couple of years now: an UltraHDMI with an EverDrive 64. I don't use my real carts anymore, but my games are all complete in box. An expensive process, but I feel pretty good about it. If I include other platforms, I'm still not done yet. Eventually I'll have to buy the Zelda, Zelda II and A Link To The Past.

I finished Super Mario 64 a week before Odyssey released. After finishing Odyssey, I'm so glad I played it again.

http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,382.0.html

There might not be a single other person here who cares about this, but they just recently released a firmware update for Retrode that now reads and writes all N64 save types (EEP, SRA and Flash). Up until a few days ago Retrode could not read the save file on your carts without doing some serious programming voodoo that goes way over my head. I'm in the middle of the (admittely lengthy) process of getting everything working but I've been waiting for a way to play N64 games on my PC using the original save files on my carts for years.

Thanks for the heads up. Not only do I want to back up my saves to Dropbox, but I want to move them into my EverDrive 64.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
N64 Emulation is shaping up to be in a next-gen state in the next couple of months. By that I mean once you setup Retroarch with the new multithreaded Angrylion Plugin you will no longer have to tinker around with graphics settings to run a game.
Even hard cases like Bomberman 64 and Rougue Squandrom and Shadow of the emipre already run very good in it.

ParaLLEl-N64
Massive amount of work from mudlord, AIO, bparker and Twinaphex to get the threaded angrylion RDP integrated. It started as a port of the angrylion-plus-rdp plugin, but the libretro version is now quite different, including being a true software renderer (that is, compatible with all video driver backends, including d3d). This plugin is very fast in Windows, reaching full speed on relatively modest CPUs, while Linux is only slightly faster than non-threaded angrylion. We hope to identify what's holding back performance on non-MSVC compilers in the near future.
https://www.libretro.com/index.php/core-updates-since-last-release/

We originally intended to release this together with the new RetroArch version right before the end of this month. However, we want to take a few more days to ensure that the release of RetroArch 1.6.8 is solid and that we don't rush it out of the gates in a premature state. We ask for your patience, it won't take too long, a couple of days at most. In the meantime, we have the Parallel N64 core with multithreaded Angrylion ready to go!

This is a heavily modified version of ata4's Angrylion RDP Plus plugin. It has the following distinctive characteristics so far:

1 – Made a bunch of changes so that performance in Linux/Mingw is not as bad as it was previously (still worse than Windows though).
2 – Does not require OpenGL context 3.2, or OpenGL at all. It is purely a software renderer that can use any output video driver you want in your libretro frontend. So you can use this in conjunction with OpenGL, Direct3D, Vulkan, etc.

Credit goes to mudlord, Brad Parker and AIO for being able to get this done in such short notice. I helped out along the way too.

Available for
  • Linux
  • Windows
  • Android
Where to get it
1. Start RetroArch.
2. Go to Online Updater -> Update Cores.
3. Download 'Nintendo 64 (Parallel N64)' from the list.

How to use it
1. Start up the Parallel N64 core with any game.

2. Go to Quick Menu -> Options. Make sure that you set 'GFX Plugin' to 'angrylion' and 'RSP Plugin' to çxd4′. Restart RetroArch.

3. It should now use multithreaded Angrylion as the graphics plugin.
https://www.libretro.com/index.php/parallel-n64-with-multithreaded-angrylion-released/

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've been watching quite a few videos of N64 games lately. Been thinking about picking up some new stuff soon. Some stuff I've wanted for years but never got around to, and some stuff I've only discovered recently. Might see what some of my local shops have soon.

Some of the games I've been thinking about picking up:
-Body Harvest
-Castlevania
-Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
-Doom 64
-Extreme G
-Fighters Destiny
-Fighters Destiny 2
-Forsaken
-Hybrid Heaven
-Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
-Mario Golf
-Mario Party
-Mario Party 3
-Mario Tennis
-Quake
-Quake II
-Ridge Racer 64
-Road Rash 64
-Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
-Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo
-Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
-Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
-Winback
-Wipeout 64
-The World is Not Enough

Anything else I should look out for?

Oh, here's my collection!

b4rgEfA.jpg

m8crFIU.jpg

tf3XiFN.jpg

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Definitely Majora's Mask and Wave Race 64. Maybe Conker's Bad Fur Day if you're okay with spending that much. I also quite like WWF No Mecry (or any of the other AKI games), Blast Corps, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Pokémon Snap, Rayman 2, Space Station Silicon Valley, Beetle Adventure Racing and Snowboard Kids.

Great selection of games so far, by the way!

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I have Wave Race 64. Hah. It's in the second pic. It was one of the first games my family got for it back in 1996. I got most of my collection back in the day.

I have Majora's Mask on GameCube, but I'd consider the N64 version for a good price complete. I missed out on getting it back in the day, probably due to our Dreamcast obsession. I got Rayman 2 on that instead.

I have Conker's Bad Fur Day and Blast Corps on Rare Replay, so I don't think I'd spend the ridiculous amount for Conker. I should have bought that when my local Toys "R" Us at the time had a bunch of copies for like $3. Heh.

I am interested in the others you mentioned! Thanks for the suggestions! A friend of mine has suggested that WWF game several times, too. Not really into wrestling, but I'd get it for a good price.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
The expansion pak brings to mind parallel with the PS4 Pro.

Higher resolution, usually (way) worse framerate.

Most of the time the improvements to resolution aren't worth it at all.

Nov 8, 2017
I got my 10 year old nephew a Nintendo 64 for Christmas this year along with Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, Wave Race 64 and Goldeneye 007. On Christmas morning I had him start playing Mario 64 and helped him get his very first star. He really didn't seem to like it and nearly quit a few times out of frustration with learning how to use a new controller and new game mechanics. He got tossed off the mountain top by the big bob-om a few times and although he did finally get his first star he immediately wanted to try another game. Ugh.

Fast forward to tonight when I called to see how things were going and he was super excited to tell me all the details about the additional four stars he's earned and how hard the snow level was and how much fun he's having with Mario 64. He loves it. It's the happiest I've been in a long time.

Last edited:

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I got Goldfinger 64 working properly now on my Everdrive, it's pretty good so far and really cool to have basically a brand new 007 game.

Anyone else tried it?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
I got Goldfinger 64 working properly now on my Everdrive, it's pretty good so far and really cool to have basically a brand new 007 game.

Anyone else tried it?

I tried it out back when it released and the first level kind of turned me off. It felt overly massive for the sake of being overly massive and was crazy dark. It was really cool though that they added new weapons and art, really impressive work overall from the mod team. Do the levels get better?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I tried it out back when it released and the first level kind of turned me off. It felt overly massive for the sake of being overly massive and was crazy dark. It was really cool though that they added new weapons and art, really impressive work overall from the mod team. Do the levels get better?

I've only played first two levels really and some of the third.

I agree on the first level it needs some tweaking. I thought the second was pretty good though.

I've read there are some good levels later in the game.

They are meant to be working on fixes but who knows when it will be released.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tinkled a bit with Glide64 ver. 3.0 yesterday.

Works like a charm on PJ64, make sure to transfer the glide64.ini file in the plugin folder as well or else you'll always have to redo your configurations.

Played a good bit of Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and Conkey Bad Fur Day in 4K and, yeah, it's pretty legit and I didn't encounter any bug!

Good to see progress in the N64 emulation department, it's been a while.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Mickey's Speedway USA separates the men from the boys on the Frantic Finale courses, damn - actually causing white-knuckle grip on my control pad. Also hi, N64 ERA!

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Mickey's Speedway USA separates the men from the boys on the Frantic Finale courses, damn - actually causing white-knuckle grip on my control pad. Also hi, N64 ERA!
You know what. that game has been on my buy list for decades and I still haven't picked it up. Might need to change that soon.

Also, holy hell is this thread dead.

Anyone playing anything lately? Tbh, I haven't turned on my N64 this year. Was thinking of playing some WWF No Mercy in honor of tomorrows Elimination Chamber?

What's everyones favorite N64 wrestling game?

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah mang, rotating between Speedway USA (just unlocked Mirror mode & Ludwig von Quack!), Super Smash Bros (still to unlock the item switch) and Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer (despite owning it for nigh on 20 years, have never beaten it).

I re-bought WCW/NWO Revenge about a decade ago having enjoyed it back in the day but I don't think the AKI N64 titles have aged that well - was spoiled by Day of Reckoning 1 & 2.

JGCD

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm trying to get a beta patch of Paper Mario Pro mode but the original forum post is gone. Anyone have it or where I should look?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I knew there was a 64 thread here...Snagged this guy today for a great price. Really excited to have a "grail" in my collection.

9Ab6nf1l.jpg

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
That's cool, always puzzled me as a kid why Lockjaw (Hell he's on the cartridge sticker) & Lady Liberty were on the back of the box of 63 1/3 :x.

Edit: finally retrieved my memory cards so I can actually play Wipeout 64 & Beetle Adventure Racing properly.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Snagged Stunt Racer 64! Just need Transmetals to finish the Blockbuster trilogy.

Also replaced the battery on one of my OEM controller packs. Seems to be work fine now! Soldering skills ahoy!

Oct 28, 2017
California
N64 is the greatest console of all time. It's still my favorite birthday present that I've ever received and it's responsible for my fondest gaming memories.

Wish I still had my original N64, but I picked one up at a yard sale a few years back for only $5 with a controller and in pretty good condition.

Only games I have for it are Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 64, and the Star Wars pod racing game.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
So small update on my N64 collecting...I hit 101 games. I considered the full set. But the thing is, there are WAY too many throwaway sports titles on the system. I would rather spend that money on more NES games (which I just passed 250 on).

I bought an Everdrive 64 v3, but I'm not sure I'll bust it out much now that I'm actually closing in on owning most of the decent shit. I could probably sell it for a decent return and get more games to flesh out the collection. There was never a big N64 homebrew scene that I'm aware of, right?

Sealtest

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what are the odds of finding decently priced S Video cables nowadays? I'd love to import the official ones but have no idea from where.

Oct 26, 2017
So what are the odds of finding decently priced S Video cables nowadays? I'd love to import the official ones but have no idea from where.

Shouldn't be too hard. The official cables have a part number of SHVC-009. You'll have spend some, but have you looked on eBay?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/46-Nintendo-Official-S-Video-Cable-SHVC-009-Super-Famicom-Game-Cube-N64-Japan/332580191212?hash=item4d6f52fbec:g:q7MAAOSwGltaocHg&_trkparms=gclientid=MbknhJ_RUavnrcYQqm1r21StwuZL98-4fsLsUj5XqpJOInGgLqwujAdt17tzjQsA&_trksid=p2489528.m4335.l8656

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
A pity the label's a bit beat up but I've been curious about Rocket ever since Nintendo Official magazine awarded it an "Awesome" award back in the day, never played it! Picked it up at the London Gaming Market earlier today:

jmWBqc8.jpg

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
A pity the label's a bit beat up but I've been curious about Rocket ever since Nintendo Official magazine awarded it an "Awesome" award back in the day, never played it! Picked it up at the London Gaming Market earlier today:

jmWBqc8.jpg

Nice! Rocket is a gem of a game. Lots of cool ideas to help it stand out from the rest of the 90's collectathons.

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys, nice thread.

2 of my 3 n64 controllers' joysticks have become quite loose. What's the best fix? I looked at buying a 3rd party controller (including that resdesigned pad that came out recently) but they're apparently all too sensitive for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Hey any recommendations for N64 controller cable extension's?

Any possible downsides? Or are they pretty much all fine? Raphnet doesn't make the N64 ones anymore.