• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shadow Hog

Oct 26, 2017
Good news, that. Indiana Jones is a pretty fun Tomb Raider clone-of-sorts, so more people being able to emulate it is always good.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The Normal Boots crew (The Completionist, PeanutButterGamer, ProJared, and two other guys I'm not familiar with) is currently whittling down a bracket in a series of slickly produced roundtable videos to determine the best Nintendo 64 game:

Mario Party 2 vs Super Smash Bros.
Super Mario 64 vs Mario Kart 64
Pokémon Snap vs Diddy Kong Racing
Ocarina of Time vs Majora's Mask
Paper Mario vs GoldenEye 007
Banjo-Kazooie vs Star Fox 64

This debate is actually kicking off a new channel for unified Normal Boots content.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Working on straightening up my collections and took some pictures. Here is my Nintendo 64 Collection. I was luckily able to get in before a lot of these spiked in price.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
Does anyone know of a good S-Video cable for a PAL N64? I plan on hooking it up to my TV this way through the RetroTINK 2x and I'm hearing conflicting reports as to what will actually work depending on the model you have -- mine's the transparent purple-ish one. This is the cable I've been eyeing, I hear good things about the one from consolegoods.co.uk as well though.

Last edited:

sox

Oct 27, 2017
I've used a s-video cable in my PAL console (think pal cables need to be tweaked specifically to work correctly) and it was an improvement over composite but the problem is finding a TV with the input itself. Luckily at the time our Bravia had the input but I haven't seen one since or needed it since I got the UltraHMDI mod installed.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
I've used a s-video cable in my PAL console (think pal cables need to be tweaked specifically to work correctly) and it was an improvement over composite but the problem is finding a TV with the input itself. Luckily at the time our Bravia had the input but I haven't seen one since or needed it since I got the UltraHMDI mod installed.
I have an upscaler with S-Video support (Retrotink 2x) so that's not an issue. Do you recall what cable you used?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to rebuild a few missing games from my 64 collection. I started perusing ebay and was surprised that the prices were cheaper that I thought they would be, and several copies are each. Are there a lot of fakes out there or am I just over thinking it?

Games I've lost: Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong 64

phanboy4

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm trying to rebuild a few missing games from my 64 collection. I started perusing ebay and was surprised that the prices were cheaper that I thought they would be, and several copies are each. Are there a lot of fakes out there or am I just over thinking it?

Games I've lost: Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong 64

There are *some* fakes out there, not many though.

Especially not for common titles like that.

As long as the prices seem to be in line with the average and it's not from some shady overseas seller, you're probably fine.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
So with all the Smash talk lately I've been thinking about getting a copy of the original for my N64. However doing some research I can see it's one of the few games that relies on a battery for saves. How hard is it to replace these? From the guides I've seen it looks soldered in place which sucks but I do have a soldering iron and have done a little in the past (building arcade sticks specifically).
I figure I have to replace the battery since the game is like 18 years old at this point.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah can just resolder pretty easy. I'm a novice but have been fine doing battery replacements.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got this huge N64 retro trip lately, got out the old CRT and started playing/buying a bunch of games.

What I got so far:
-Hexen (W/ box)
-Robotron 64
-Quake 2
-Fighting Force

I spotted an Ogre Battle 64 copy w/ box in really clean condition in a shop near my job for a hundred buck, still going back and forth if I should pull out the money for it. Really tempted to grab a complete copy of F-Zero X as well while I'm at it.

Now a question more on the technical side. I have two games that I ripped via the Retrode which give me Checksum errors on PJ64, Kirby 64 and Robotron 64. Both games are running perfectly well on the N64 itself and both don't have any specific chip that would make the games not compatible to rip. I think there's a way to go modify some HEX values to correct that, anyone have a tutorial or advice for this?

I just got this huge N64 retro trip lately, got out the old CRT and started playing/buying a bunch of games.

What I got so far:
-Hexen (W/ box)
-Robotron 64
-Quake 2
-Fighting Force

I spotted an Ogre Battle 64 copy w/ box in really clean condition in a shop near my job for a hundred buck, still going back and forth if I should pull out the money for it. Really tempted to grab a complete copy of F-Zero X as well while I'm at it.

Now a question more on the technical side. I have two games that I ripped via the Retrode which give me Checksum errors on PJ64, Kirby 64 and Robotron 64. Both games are running perfectly well on the N64 itself and both don't have any specific chip that would make the games not compatible to rip. I think there's a way to go modify some HEX values to correct that, anyone have a tutorial or advice for this?

Robotron 64 is a blast to play - just in the off-chance that you didn't know, you can hook up two 64 controllers and play with dual joysticks. It's pretty awesome.

I always say, if you will regret it later AND if you could resell immediately for more than you bought the game for, it's probably worth it - assuming finances allow.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
So apparently Hyperkin will reveal at E3 a N64 clone that uses carts. Hard to imagine is not just an emulator box, but we will see I guess.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
A clone with HDMI out would be awesome but if it's running a software emulator underneath it's a waste of time.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
People on twitter have seen some glitches on the Mario Kart portion of the video that mimic same glitches on the emulator Muppen 64.

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite items :)
s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a complete copy of Tony Hawk Pro Skater for 35$ CAD.

It's not the best version of course, no videos, heavily compressed music...BUT no loadings.

It's the first version I played so there's a bit of nostalgia in there. :P

HKmwfP2.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I have a bunch of controllers from my N64 days, and I have collected a number of toggles over the years but never had the time (or know-how) to actually attempt a repair myself.

I suppose I need to work out the following:

Which of my controllers really need a repair and which are simply 'still okay' for what they are.

Which of my new toggles I should use. Once again I need to establish which of my collected toggles are actually worth using. This goes back to what I simply don't understand about the mechanism.

Any particular instructions or Youtube how-to I should follow?

I have a bunch of controllers from my N64 days, and I have collected a number of toggles over the years but never had the time (or know-how) to actually attempt a repair myself.

Which of my controllers really need a repair and which are simply 'still okay' for what they are.

Which of my new toggles I should use. Once again I need to establish which of my collected toggles are actually worth using. This goes back to what I simply don't understand about the mechanism.

What do you mean by toggles...like the analogue sticks or is there a specific part of the analogue stick mechanism you're referring to?

I've fixed a good few of these sticks, so I might be able to help!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I assume you're talking about the analogs?

I recommend buying one of those Gamecube-style analog stick replacement from Ebay. You just have to open the controller, unscrew and unplug the old one, place the replacement, snap everything back and you're done! I did this with two of my old controllers and it works like a charm.

n64-replacement-joystick-gamecube-style-spare-parts-repairs.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Hahah my apologies I knew I should have said analog sticks for days after this, I think I started calling them toggles as the store I got them from repeatedly over the years referred to them as that.

To test them out, what are some good sequences that put stress on the stick apart from say Mario Kart 64 tracks or spinning Bowser around?

Hahah my apologies I knew I should have said analog sticks for days after this, I think I started calling them toggles as the store I got them from repeatedly over the years referred to them as that.

To test them out, what are some good sequences that put stress on the stick apart from say Mario Kart 64 tracks or spinning Bowser around?

Don't know about any authoritative tests - I just try a few racing games - 1080 snowboarding, for example, and a 3D platformer.
Probably the infamous Mario Party mini-games would work quite well.

To fix the analogue sticks, I bought a bushing set for RC cars and installed it on the analogue stick itself.
A little more force is required, but otherwise, it works wonderfully.

Unfortunately, it's not a permanent fix - but it should work for some time.

Jan 2, 2018
kzGBaoS.jpg

Here is my little collection. This winter I plan to really expand on it with the likes of Mario Party 1-3, Star Fox 64, Pokémon Snap,...
Please excuse the poor image quality (I don't know what happened there) and the Sega Master System II in this picture!

Red

Oct 26, 2017
My in laws discovered an N64 while cleaning out their basement. They offered it to me and I am considering an HDMI mod. Does anyone have experience/opinions on what's available? Looking for something that offers good CRT filter options and doesn't add much input lag.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
My in laws discovered an N64 while cleaning out their basement. They offered it to me and I am considering an HDMI mod. Does anyone have experience/opinions on what's available? Looking for something that offers good CRT filter options and doesn't add much input lag.
UltraHDMI is the way to go. Has all the features you want above and more. No conversions that drop image quality, straight uninterrupted digital signal straight from the N64's RCP via HDMI.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Lady Bow, that looks incredible. Thank you. I've researched it a bit and it looks nigh impossible to find a kit in stock. Guess I'm playing the waiting game.

Oct 27, 2017
I got an UltraHDMI mod last year. It was quite a wait, but trust me, it's worth it. Installation is a bit tricky, but as long as you go slow and watch the instructions you should do ok.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It would be interesting to install myself, but I would be fine sending the console to have it done as well. These things seem absurdly difficult to come by. I'll take whatever option first becomes available.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Lady Bow, that looks incredible. Thank you. I've researched it a bit and it looks nigh impossible to find a kit in stock. Guess I'm playing the waiting game.
No problem! It's definitely a hassle to aquire a kit (had to wait a month until they were restocked) but it's so damn worth it for the picture quality. It looks fantastic.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
I got an UltraHDMI mod last year. It was quite a wait, but trust me, it's worth it. Installation is a bit tricky, but as long as you go slow and watch the instructions you should do ok.
I've also got the mod installed. It looks great (well the source material hasn't changed) and highly recommend it if you can get your hands on one.