• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Any good replacement controllers out there? I've bought a couple 3rd party controllers and they haven't been great. Joysticks are way too stiff. I was thinking about this from Retro-Bit. Anyone have experience with these?

Can't speak to the quality of the retro-bit controller, but I have a Retro Fighters Brawler64 and it does a nice job with most games.

It also brings the form factor closer to an Xbox/Nintendo Pro controller, which works well for most of the games I played. It's also on Amazon.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't speak to the quality of the retro-bit controller, but I have a Retro Fighters Brawler64 and it does a nice job with most games.

It also brings the form factor closer to an Xbox/Nintendo Pro controller, which works well for most of the games I played. It's also on Amazon.
Ohhh, nice. That actually looks better. You think they would be fine for games like Mario, Banjo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc?

Ohhh, nice. That actually looks better. You think they would be fine for games like Mario, Banjo, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc?

Just as a disclaimer, with all those games, I'm a bit partial to the feel of the original controller a bit more, thanks to the trigger placement of the Z button and the sensitivity of the analogue stick....

...but to actually answer your question, oh heck yes, it's quite an excellent controller for all those! The stick sensitivity is maybe slightly less than OG, but that'd be a very minor complaint.

It really does feel similar to a Switch Pro, with a bit less heft and polish.

The Z trigger is assigned to both the far back triggers (ZL, ZR), if you're wondering about Z-jumping maneuvers in Mario and Banjo.
For FPS, it's great.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just as a disclaimer, with all those games, I'm a bit partial to the feel of the original controller a bit more, thanks to the trigger placement of the Z button and the sensitivity of the analogue stick....

...but to actually answer your question, oh heck yes, it's quite an excellent controller for all those! The stick sensitivity is maybe slightly less than OG, but that'd be a very minor complaint.

It really does feel similar to a Switch Pro, with a bit less heft and polish.

The Z trigger is assigned to both the far back triggers (ZL, ZR), if you're wondering about Z-jumping maneuvers in Mario and Banjo.
For FPS, it's great.
Just got mine in. I'm actually really enjoying it. I love the triggers and just the overall placement. And, you're right, it does feel a lot like the Switch Pro, albeit a bit cheaper.

My only complaint is the hexagon joystick shape. A few times when moving forward it tends, I've noticed it tends to fall out of the top corner and move into the corner next to it. That's because the way angle your left hand is used to grip the side, so, your thumb pushes on the stick at an angle too.Bit of an oversight on their part. Dont have this issue on the OG controller. Hopefully, I can adjust as its not been a huge deal so far and I love the rest of the controller

sox

Oct 27, 2017
Just got mine in. I'm actually really enjoying it. I love the triggers and just the overall placement. And, you're right, it does feel a lot like the Switch Pro, albeit a bit cheaper.

My only complaint is the hexagon joystick shape. A few times when moving forward it tends, I've noticed it tends to fall out of the top corner and move into the corner next to it. That's because the way angle your left hand is used to grip the side, so, your thumb pushes on the stick at an angle too.Bit of an oversight on their part. Dont have this issue on the OG controller. Hopefully, I can adjust as its not been a huge deal so far and I love the rest of the controller
I read there was a design flaw in the Tribute 64 controller where when you push up right on the stick, the base of the stick actually hits the controller's PCB. Does it feel like that?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read there was a design flaw in the Tribute 64 controller where when you push up right on the stick, the base of the stick actually hits the controller's PCB. Does it feel like that?
I think it was when you hold the left shoulder button and moved the joystick, the shoulder button would actually hit against the joystick, but they fixed that a while ago from what I read. I don't know anything about the joystick hitting the PCB, I don't have that particular issue.

Edit: oops, you were talking about the retro bit controller. I actually went with the Fighter Brawler 64 controller instead.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Have my full n64 collection together for a change so I thought I'd take some pics.
Original n64
gIT1Pkx.jpg

Pre backup collection(left column is my childhood stuff more or less, missing super Mario 64, right is my pre backup collection additions)
8WtVnQD.jpg

Backup n64 with expansion pack
HTKTQgN.jpg

My entire collection(61 games, I have 3 extra copies of Goemons great adventure, Mario party and jet force Gemini) so 64 games XD. Need to round it out to a unique 64. But just need the budget and the luck to find some good ones to round it out, don't want to do something cheap XD . May Fire it up later
a1VCGyo.jpg

Sadly my copies of super Mario 64 and dk64 went missing during moves

Last edited:

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Been wanting to get The World is Not Enough for years, and finally decided to get it. I had this copy going back and forth from my wishlist to my cart for almost a year because I'd end up getting something else instead. But now it's finally mine. Only missing a small handful of Bond games now.

CyWbudl.jpg

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
What's the best plugin to use these days in conjuction with Project 64? I don't think it matters, but specifically the Retro-achievements build

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I picked up an old PAL N64 to play Waverace but the picture is so bad I can barely make anything out its so bright and the colours seem to blur into one. Changing the TV settings makes no difference. What are my options?

I picked up an old PAL N64 to play Waverace but the picture is so bad I can barely make anything out its so bright and the colours seem to blur into one. Changing the TV settings makes no difference. What are my options?

I assume you're using a modern flatscreen LCD display?

A few options, if you want to buy.
The RetroTink or RAD2x will probably clear up the image a bit for you. The downside is that they're both expensive, especially if you're only using them for the N64.

Here's the RAD2X link.

That would probably be a sure-fire fix.

However, I'm no expert on PAL consoles and how the video works with modern displays, so you might not have to spend a cent. Hopefully, someone responds to this.

Nov 1, 2017
Wanted to post an updated photo of my N64 games. Currently at 131 games.

cbpnumM.jpg
That looks incredible! I really wish I still had all my original boxes. Alas, most of them have been lost to time. I suppose I could order the boxes by themselves or even reprint them. Then again, my shelves are already crammed enough as is. I resorted to ordering top-end labels that I carefully applied to each cartridge.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
That looks incredible! I really wish I still had all my original boxes. Alas, most of them have been lost to time. I suppose I could order the boxes by themselves or even reprint them. Then again, my shelves are already crammed enough as is. I resorted to ordering top-end labels that I carefully applied to each cartridge.

Thank you! Yea, I'm still missing tons from what I owned on NES, SNES, and even TG-16 as a kid. I was lucky to grab a lot of the N64 titles before prices went crazy.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Get your Everdrives ready! A lot of cool brand new Nintendo 64 games were just released. (14 to be exact)

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Has anybody been able to run using an evedrive the Aleck 64 arcade games? I get black screens, or flashing screens showing the game.

Edit: It seems they need the expansion pack, which I don't have. Guess I'll get one.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody been able to run using an evedrive the Aleck 64 arcade games? I get black screens, or flashing screens showing the game.
I'm potentially looking into getting an Everdrive. Moving in September and half my collection is in boxes. I can always play on emulator since it's all dumped, but I tend to play on the OG hardware when I'm in a nostalgia trip like right now. Could be useful to play stuff like Smash Remix, too.

Is the homebrew scene strong on N64?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm potentially looking into getting an Everdrive. Moving in September and half my collection is in boxes. I can always play on emulator since it's all dumped, but I tend to play on the OG hardware when I'm in a nostalgia trip like right now. Could be useful to play stuff like Smash Remix, too.

Is the homebrew scene strong on N64?

I don't thinkt it is as active as, say, the NES or Genesis/Megadrive scene, but that could be because of the difficulty emulating the console. But maybe someone here who is more involved with the scene can confirm.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Is there any way to diagnose if an expansion pak is faulty? It crashes after a few seconds of playing Road Rash 64 in high resolution and after a few minutes of San Francisco Rush.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to diagnose if an expansion pak is faulty? It crashes after a few seconds of playing Road Rash 64 in high resolution and after a few minutes of San Francisco Rush.
Make sure the connectors are clean, sometimes a Q-tip + Isopropyl on those could make a difference.

Another thing you could do is make sure to have the expansion pak's connector wet with isopropyl and slide it in and out of the N64 a couple of times to clean the N64's expansion pak connector slot.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Make sure the connectors are clean, sometimes a Q-tip + Isopropyl on those could make a difference.

Another thing you could do is make sure to have the expansion pak's connector wet with isopropyl and slide it in and out of the N64 a couple of times to clean the N64's expansion pak connector slot.

That seems to have worked, kept the console runing for a few hours with the titles that would freeze, and had no issues.

Thanks!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Are there multiple everdrives or just the one? I'm not familiar but thinking about grabbing one. Thanks.
There are older versions with less options but I don't think Krikzz makes any of those anymore and only has the N64 X7 now. He sells them through a bunch of sites (EverDrive.me, Castlemania, Stone Age Gamer, Amazon). Stone Age Gamer is good if you want a choice of shell colours. It's too bad you want to get one now and not during his yearly 20% off sale for Black Friday.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
There are older versions with less options but I don't think Krikzz makes any of those anymore and only has the N64 X7 now. He sells them through a bunch of sites (EverDrive.me, Castlemania, Stone Age Gamer, Amazon). Stone Age Gamer is good if you want a choice of shell colours. It's too bad you want to get one now and not during his yearly 20% off sale for Black Friday.
Aww dang, that's a long wait. Don't know if I can hold out that long. Thanks for the info, gonna go peep Stone Age.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Are there multiple everdrives or just the one? I'm not familiar but thinking about grabbing one. Thanks.

I got mine from Stone Age Gamer during last black friday.

The main difference between the 2.x and the 7x, as far as I can tell, is that the v2.X requires that you reset the console before shutting it down to backup the save files.
2.X does not have a real time clock, so you can't run Animal Crossing and it does not have a USB port.

Everything else seems like you can do it with v2.x, which is about 70 dollars cheaper. Have not had any issues with mine so far.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I got mine from Stone Age Gamer during last black friday.

The main difference between the 2.x and the 7x, as far as I can tell, is that the v2.X requires that you reset the console before shutting it down to backup the save files.
2.X does not have a real time clock, so you can't run Animal Crossing and it does not have a USB port.

Everything else seems like you can do it with v2.x, which is about 70 dollars cheaper. Have not had any issues with mine so far.
The saving thing is only for sd cards right? Can you still save to a memory pak?
*edit: anyone use the hyperkin Bluetooth controller? It's $10 off at stone age and looks pretty good.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
The saving thing is only for sd cards right? Can you still save to a memory pak?
*edit: anyone use the hyperkin Bluetooth controller? It's $10 off at stone age and looks pretty good.

What I meant is that games that had an internal battery, you will need to press reset before turning off the console, or otherwise the files won't be saved in the flash cart.
Saving to memory pak works as normal.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Hey ya'll I just found an old CRT on the side of the road so I'm thinking of setting up a little retro game corner. I lost my entire childhood N64 collection 10 years ago (still stings) so I'm looking to pickup a console, controllers, and a few classic games.

Is there anything I should watch out for shopping on ebay, like common mistakes new collectors make as far as counterfeits and stuff?

I don't want to start a massive collection, just grab a few well-cared-for items that I can hang onto moving forward. I'm leaning towards a Funtastic Grape Purple system. Those look cool as hell.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Try to get lucky with someone selling a "broken" N64 where the only problem is a missing jumper/expansion pak.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Have my full n64 collection together for a change so I thought I'd take some pics.
Original n64
gIT1Pkx.jpg

Pre backup collection(left column is my childhood stuff more or less, missing super Mario 64, right is my pre backup collection additions)
8WtVnQD.jpg

Backup n64 with expansion pack
HTKTQgN.jpg

My entire collection(61 games, I have 3 extra copies of Goemons great adventure, Mario party and jet force Gemini) so 64 games XD. Need to round it out to a unique 64. But just need the budget and the luck to find some good ones to round it out, don't want to do something cheap XD . May Fire it up later
a1VCGyo.jpg

Sadly my copies of super Mario 64 and dk64 went missing during moves
Wow, awesome collection! I love all the translucent special edition systems. So evocative of the 90s/early 2000s.

Try to get lucky with someone selling a "broken" N64 where the only problem is a missing jumper/expansion pak.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Dinosaur Planet leaked yesterday. Requieres the Expansion Pack. Includes a version that can be used on Everdrive flash carts.

Last edited:

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Ya'll, please help me choose four essential games to complete my collection. I'm trying to limit myself to a sensible 24 maximum.

My current list of 20 is just a good mix of classics I loved as a kid and ones I never got to experience for whatever reason:

Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
(never played)
Beetle Adventure Racing
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
(never played)
Doom 64 (never played)
Kirby Crystal Shards (never played)
Legend Zelda OoT
Legend Zelda Majora
(never played)
Mario Kart
Mario Party 2
(only ever played MP1)
Mischief Makers
Paper Mario
(never played)
Perfect Dark
Star Fox
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
Yoshi's Story
(never played)
Wave Race

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll, please help me choose four essential games to complete my collection. I'm trying to limit myself to a sensible 24 maximum.

My current list of 20 is just a good mix of classics I loved as a kid and ones I never got to experience for whatever reason:

Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
(never played)
Beetle Adventure Racing
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
(never played)
Doom 64 (never played)
Kirby Crystal Shards (never played)
Legend Zelda OoT
Legend Zelda Majora
(never played)
Mario Kart
Mario Party 2
(only ever played MP1)
Mischief Makers
Paper Mario
(never played)
Perfect Dark
Star Fox
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros
Yoshi's Story
(never played)
Wave Race
I love that you have Yoshi's Story. I really enjoyed the game back in the day.

I'd get one of the AKI wrestling games, maybe No Mercy. I enjoyed all of the ones I played though (WCW Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy).

Maybe F-Zero and Star Wars Pod Racer too.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I love that you have Yoshi's Story. I really enjoyed the game back in the day.

I'd get one of the AKI wrestling games, maybe No Mercy. I enjoyed all of the ones I played though (WCW Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy).

Maybe F-Zero and Star Wars Pod Racer too.
Yeah, I never got to play Yoshi's Story but in hindsight, it's probably one of the most beautiful games to look at on the system due to its unique art style. I can't wait to finally check it out.

I played the everliving hell out of WCW Revenge. I'm not sure how much enjoyment I'd get out of a wrestling game today, but I'm definitely missing a fighting game or two. F Zero X is a must-have. Possibly Pod Racer and Rogue Squadron. So tough to narrow it down!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I never got to play Yoshi's Story but in hindsight, it's probably one of the most beautiful games to look at on the system due to its unique art style. I can't wait to finally check it out.

I played the everliving hell out of WCW Revenge. I'm not sure how much enjoyment I'd get out of a wrestling game today, but I'm definitely missing a fighting game or two. F Zero X is a must-have. Possibly Pod Racer and Rogue Squadron. So tough to narrow it down!
Yep, Story does look stunning. It's very easy though, I guess, unless you want to collect everything or go for the melon challenge. I last played it on Wii VC and I think the visuals still held up.

I plan to buy an N64 at some point and pick the cart up.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Yep, Story does look stunning. It's very easy though, I guess, unless you want to collect everything or go for the melon challenge. I last played it on Wii VC and I think the visuals still held up.

I plan to buy an N64 at some point and pick the cart up.
Right on! I'm am ALWAYS down for something easy when it comes to these retro games as they're more often ridiculously obtuse and time-consuming. I'm just looking back from a modern perspective and appreciating all the weird and quirky games that came out of that era, many of which I never even heard of at the time.

I think I'm going with these for sure:

F Zero X (awesome high-FPS racer)
Mystical Ninja Goemon (heard enough people gush about this game that I kind of need to try it)
Ogre Battle 64 (Beautiful art, under-represented genre on the N64)
_______________????

For my last game...jeez, I can't decide at all.

Tetrisphere (so I at least have one puzzle game)?
Killer Instinct (otherwise I have no fighting games)?
Rogue Squadron or Episode One Racer (otherwise I have no Star Wars games)?
Mario Tennis?
Bomberman 64 (played this endlessly as a kid)
Pokemon Snap (such a unique game!)
Castlevania?
Body Harvest?
Jet Force Gemini?
Rocket Robot on Wheels? (Sucker Punch first game and some crazy unique physics system??)

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Right on! I'm am ALWAYS down for something easy when it comes to these retro games as they're more often ridiculously obtuse and time-consuming. I'm just looking back from a modern perspective and appreciating all the weird and quirky games that came out of that era, many of which I never even heard of at the time.

I think I'm going with these for sure:

F Zero X (awesome high-FPS racer)
Mystical Ninja Goemon (heard enough people gush about this game that I kind of need to try it)
Ogre Battle 64 (Beautiful art, under-represented genre on the N64)
_______________????

For my last game...jeez, I can't decide at all.

Tetrisphere (so I at least have one puzzle game)?
Killer Instinct (otherwise I have no fighting games)?
Rogue Squadron or Episode One Racer (otherwise I have no Star Wars games)?
Mario Tennis?
Bomberman 64 (played this endlessly as a kid)
Pokemon Snap (such a unique game!)
Castlevania?
Body Harvest?
Jet Force Gemini?
Rocket Robot on Wheels? (Sucker Punch first game and some crazy unique physics system??)
I loved Rouge Squadron back in the day, not sure how it holds up. I always wanted Jet Force Gemini but have never played it, and was always intrigued by body harvest. I'll be adding all three to my collection at some point.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
My expansion pack finally failed. Luckly it was within the warranty from the seller, so I'll try to get another one soon. Really curious to try Dinosaur Planet.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
My expansion pack finally failed. Luckly it was within the warranty from the seller, so I'll try to get another one soon. Really curious to try Dinosaur Planet.
Has anyone ever produced third party expansion packs? I'm assuming there are only so many of the original Nintendo ones to go around. Back in the day when I had an N64 it came in the box with DK64, IIRC.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Has anyone ever produced third party expansion packs? I'm assuming there are only so many of the original Nintendo ones to go around. Back in the day when I had an N64 it came in the box with DK64, IIRC.

There were third party packs back in the day, and maybe a more recent by on of those companies that do modern accesories for retro consoles but none seem to have good reviews and or are sold out. I have read of some getting stuck on the console due to the shape. I imagine it may be difficult for someone to make new since they are basically a specific type of RAM memory.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
There were third party packs back in the day, and maybe a more recent by on of those companies that do modern accesories for retro consoles but none seem to have good reviews and or are sold out. I have read of some getting stuck on the console due to the shape. I imagine it may be difficult for someone to make new since they are basically a specific type of RAM memory.
Thanks. That's a shame. Gonna have to look for an OG one when I get around to picking up an N64 again.