• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

View: https://twitter.com/NintendoCoLtd/status/1547478135012478976

unknown.png

dynapix.jp

ダイナモピクチャーズ

ダイナモピクチャーズは、映画、アニメ、ゲームムービー、CMなどのCG映像制作から、オリジナル立体映像の企画・制作まで、エンターテイメントのビジュアルに関わる事業を行っています。

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Things they've assisted on (as one of at least half a dozen companies on most of these - they have a mo-cap studio, so their involvement could have been that):
www.mobygames.com

Dynamo Pictures, Inc. - MobyGames

Dynamo Pictures, Inc.'s games - MobyGames

Strange pick-up.

EDIT: Yeah, scrubbing through credits, anything bigger you see there is the mo-cap studio being rented out. Most of the stuff they've assisted on CG-wise is anime (latest Ghost in the Shell series, Back Arrow, blah blah). Very, very strange get.

Last edited:

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
What has Dynamo Pictures created?
Will be interesting if we get a Zelda something out of this.
From what I'm reading they've done a lot of assisting and co-production on some CGI anime stuff mostly. They worked on the latest Dragon Ball Super movie, as well as Kingsglaive FFXV, one of the Eva movies, and the CGI Resident Evil Netflix show.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They worked on the Pikmin Short Movies, so I imagine this is the type of content they'll be involved in.

unknown.png

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
they could be working for in-game cinematics too me thinks

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Things they've assisted on (as one of at least half a dozen companies on most of these - they have a mo-cap studio, so their involvement could have been that):
www.mobygames.com

Dynamo Pictures, Inc. - MobyGames

Dynamo Pictures, Inc.'s games - MobyGames

Strange pick-up.

EDIT: Yeah, scrubbing through credits, anything bigger you see there is the mo-cap studio being rented out. Most of the stuff they've assisted on CG-wise is anime (latest Ghost in the Shell series, Back Arrow, blah blah). Very, very strange get.
It's not strange when Nintendo is pushing into multimedia

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Looking into their site more, Dynamo have a mo-cap studio that have worked on a ton of games including Persona 5 and Death Stranding. That aspect would be very useful for game production too I imagine.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Yeah these guys do a ton of outsource work for everyone.

It seems weird to buy a CG studio because they're all aiming to be the lowest bidder in a notoriously cheap-ass market. If you thought the game industry was bad, the Japanese CG industry is............yikes

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has been really slow to leverage their IP tbh. Feels like they were talking about this kind of stuff 10 years ago and barely anything has surfaced. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling more.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Finally, after all these years, the Donkey Kong cartoon will resurface!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has been really slow to leverage their IP tbh. Feels like they were talking about this kind of stuff 10 years ago and barely anything has surfaced. Hopefully this will get the ball rolling more.
10 years ago, they were trying to survive thr wii u. They may have been slow, but right now is actually one of the best times in their history to start this

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
More anime cutscenes for Fire Emblem, basically
I'd argue that the only Nintendo IPs this isn't relevant to is Fire Emblem, Kirby and Pokémon. Fire Emblem swifts around studios based on what Intelligent System wants to do with the series' visual brand, but they lean into studios with an anime-oriented background. Both the Awakening-era collaborations (with ANIMA and Trigger) and today's relationship with Sanzigen utilise a very specific subset of the anime industry. Kirby has some history with Studio Comet based on the early 2000's anime. I wouldn't expect them to return any time soon, but HAL is the type of company that would attempt to establish an in-house CG studio before outsourcing Kirby CG to Nintendo. Pokémon obviously has a very long relationship with OLM, but also many, many other high-profile studios via shorts and the like.

I think this is a strategic acquisition to establish an in-house culture and a viable production pipeline for CGI development of Nintendo EPD franchises specifically. This may be partially for cutscenes, but it may mainly be for direction of collaboration efforts with bigger external partners. Think EPD Production Group No. 6, but for animated content.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
They worked on the Pikmin Short Movies, so I imagine this is the type of content they'll be involved in.

unknown.png
If we can get a full season of these or similar content for Zelda it would be amazing. Now I wonder who they got to do the Yoshi & Poochy commercials.

I will be honest, I don't even remember if they actually ever did typical animated cutscenes
Well, Wario Land on the Wii was fully animated by an anime studio. And you got handrawn cutscenes on the Link's Awakening remake to recreate the pixel art ones.
But in general Nintendo tends to avoid shifts between gameplay and cutscene art.

Edit: Ah, I see this was specifically about Fire Emblem, sorry for replying too fast. But yeah, that's the thing: the only Fire Emblem games with animated cutscenes have them in 3D to match the artstyle of the games. Shadows of Valentia did have some 2D scenes, but it was 95% 3D.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah these guys do a ton of outsource work for everyone.

It seems weird to buy a CG studio because they're all aiming to be the lowest bidder in a notoriously cheap-ass market. If you thought the game industry was bad, the Japanese CG industry is............yikes
It's not that unusual for a major pub to have an inhouse CG studio; Square Enix has Visual Works, Sega has TMS/Marza, Bandai Namco has Bandai Visual/Sunrise, etc. Additionally Dynamo has extensive experience in Mocap and VR, which are also lacking areas in Nintendo's R&D portfolio. This acquisition covers several bases.

You just think they'd go for a more notable company.
Prestige is one thing but Nintendo tends to value studio culture and their working relationship more than anything. Besides Nintendo has prestige to spare anyway, they're basically the top name in games publishing.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Indeed. They should AI upscale them to 4K and put them up on their Nintendo YouTube. Pikmin has the potential to be massive with children especially.
They already uploaded all three to their YouTube channels after they were delisted from 3DS and Wii U.

www.youtube.com

PIKMIN Short Movies - Occupational Hazards- Nintendo

Watch the curious and colorful antics of Pikmin™ as they jump into three short movies! The three shorts, titled The Night Juicer, Treasure in a Bottle and Oc...
www.youtube.com

PIKMIN Short Movies - Treasure in a Bottle - Nintendo

Watch the curious and colorful antics of Pikmin™ as they jump into three short movies! The three shorts, titled The Night Juicer, Treasure in a Bottle and Oc...
www.youtube.com

PIKMIN Short Movies - The Night Juicer - Nintendo

Wish they did the same for the Kid Icarus shorts...

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see the animated adventures of Waluigi as he tries out the dating scene of Mushroom Kingdom.

Nov 3, 2017
Hey, the plethora of streaming services will continue to need new content, Nintendo probably wanna tap into that money stream. 🤷‍♂️

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
They already uploaded all three to their YouTube channels after they were delisted from 3DS and Wii U.

www.youtube.com

PIKMIN Short Movies - Occupational Hazards- Nintendo

www.youtube.com

PIKMIN Short Movies - Treasure in a Bottle - Nintendo

www.youtube.com

PIKMIN Short Movies - The Night Juicer - Nintendo

Wish they did the same for the Kid Icarus shorts...
Naw, enjoy watching them on the 3DS screen.

That said, I was so happy when at one point they offered them via MyNintendo.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This feels very boring but also useful, which also feels like a very Nintendo approach to acquisitions.