• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So, I was waiting for a better quality translation on this, but it seems we aren't getting one, and I felt this was worth discussing given the number of people I've seen complain about a lack of story in mobile games over the years.

First, the translation (please see the notes afterwards):

Siliconera said:
The story currently boasts over 600 thousand words, as there are side stories and character scenarios for every character as well. Every event will add another 100 words to the total count, so Matsuura feels sorry for having Nintendo do the translation for all of the text.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/06/2...n-transform-into-dragons/#uZ8FBjw02rFcb6qi.99

Notes:
  • Talking to people who speak Japanese, they almost certainly meant Japanese characters instead of words. Checking around, it seems that people convert Japanese characters at a ratio of 2 to 2.5 characters per English word. That would mean 240,000 to 300,000 words at launch.
  • The second part of the quote was nigh assuredly supposed to be 100,000 characters per event, or 40,000 to 50,000 words. For the curious, mobile events generally happen every 2-4 weeks.
  • Since Cygames' core identity is "extravagant excess", you're probably wondering if this is fully voice acted like some of their other very story heavy games. The answer is "I don't know", but all the dialog in the trailer was voice acted, and they've been releasing lengthy voiced dialog excerpts from the game for all of the characters.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since Nintendo is involved in this, I take it a western release isn't too far behind?

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
since Nintendo is involved in this, I take it a western release isn't too far behind?
Yes, it's out this Summer in Japan and parts of South East Asia, and then North America and Europe a bit later.

I imagine they wanted to stagger that a bit due to the amount of translation work involved.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Localization work is going to be massive, I hope JP and Global will share the same server like FEH.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Theres no lack of story in Granblue Fantasy or ShadowVerse TBH. I'm actually curious what the script count is currently for GBF. I think it's mostly folks just discounting mobile games period. The most recent successes like Star Ocean, or the king, FGO, all have story in spades. CyGames intent with Granblue back in the day was bringing the grand scale of jRPGs to mobile, and that they did.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this one, I just hope the NA release isn't too far beyond.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Granblue has the only gacha story that has made me cry so I trust Cygames to deliver another great story on this one

Localization work is going to be massive, I hope JP and Global will share the same server like FEH.
Considering there's gonna be a bit of a delay in release I doubt it (unless the game has no PvP elements which in that case why not)

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Granblue has the only gacha story that has made me cry so I trust Cygames to deliver another great story on this one
You should try F/GO, especially the latest Singularity (Camelot). It's extremely well-written, it's basically a VN inside a gacha game.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no lack of story in Granblue Fantasy or ShadowVerse TBH. I'm actually curious what the script count is currently for GBF. I think it's mostly folks just discounting mobile games period. The most recent successes like Star Ocean, or the king, FGO, all have story in spades. CyGames intent with Granblue back in the day was bringing the grand scale of jRPGs to mobile, and that they did.
Yes, I made this thread less because it's an outlier, and more that it's going to hit an audience that hasn't necessarily played story heavy mobile games like that due to Nintendo being attached.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Not just very, but very very

Oy vey!

Actually I really liked Nintedo's mobile offerings so far, I'm cautiously excited about this.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I've taken to skimming through all the story in FEH since 90% of it is so bland, but I'm curious to see more since I've heard good things about Granblue. I think I'd really like having a mobile game that really sinks its narrative teeth in me

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Whew boy, now this is a pickle. I usually find myself skimming gacha stories to save time so this puts me in an awkward position.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the game gonna be in English?
Fire Emblem is like the only mobile game where they went full out for the localization, hopefully this follows.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Makes sense. This game has more Cygames' blood rather than Nintendo unlike their previous mobile attempts. Nintendo publishing it's more because they may be interested on getting IPs that isn't usual with their methods of developing games similar to their Platinum Games.

You should try F/GO, especially the latest Singularity (Camelot). It's extremely well-written, it's basically a VN inside a gacha game.

Having finished Camelot can't say I agree. But honestly I think that this is because of the way singularities works it makes it harder to get invested in the story or even some of the emotional moments.

Fate works at it's best when you have other masters/servants and FGO it's quite lacking in that aspect.

Some of the farewells become parody tier even on "serious" events. Okita Alter came out as unearned and trying too hard.

Lost Belts have the most potential because you finally encounter other masters. It's too bad that they are so slow at releasing the chapters.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
First Ive heard of this. Is it a free to play gacha kind of game or premium? I'll have to look up some media it sounds like an interesting collaboration!

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to quote your reply Zarckoh, in fear of the spoiler and it not being blocked out when you quote.

I guess it depends on how attached you become to the characters. The whole point of the Singularities, and the main emphasis of Camelot itself, is that:

even though when you correct the era, and everything returns to normal, that the time spent with the Servants as well as memories of them still remain among the Chaldea personnel (and the Servants themselves, aside from Lion King who is kind of a one-time encounter). If you didn't feel sadness when Sanzang sacrificed herself to open the gate of Camelot, and her parting words of wanting to venture to the snowy mountains with her disciple, well you're a colder man than I.

So yes, while each Singularity is a "dream" of sorts, with all of the people killed and damage done being restored after you recover the grail of that era (Camelot not included, as the Singularity itself is irreparably damaged), Camelot still shows the importance of time spent there.

Have they said anything about English VA?
Not yet.

I assume it'll be like FEH, where everything is dubbed with English VA, but I guess it depends on how much voiced dialogue is present here and whether they feel it's worth spending the time/resources on it.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
  • Talking to people who speak Japanese, they almost certainly meant Japanese characters instead of words. Checking around, it seems that people convert Japanese characters at a ratio of 2 to 2.5 characters per English word. That would mean 240,000 to 300,000 words at launch.
Also, going by the movie Lost in Translation, where a long rant became a short sentence, I fully expect the script to be half that at most.

Just kidding.

Anyway, I feel I should know about this game but the thread took me totally by surprise. Found a trailer that's a few months old and kind of uninteresting so that might be why I didn't remember it. Then again, I didn't exactly feel anything watching Xenoblade videos before the launch (the first game), so I'll wait for the impressions.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
First Ive heard of this. Is it a free to play gacha kind of game or premium? I'll have to look up some media it sounds like an interesting collaboration!
It's a free 2 play game. Cygames is arguably the leading developer in Japanese f2p mobile games (while they don't have the #1 hit spots, they have a ton of very high end successes), and their games are more traditional player oriented, so I think Nintendo was hoping to partner up with someone who could get them more in that Fire Emblem Heroes space, but with higher production values.

They intend to keep making more mobile games with this part of Cygames as well.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there are 5-6 main characters and then a variety of main dragons. Presumably you are just given those (sans the dragons).

However, there are 60 characters total at launch and they all have specific character stories as well.