• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
We all have to gain for such partnership.

Things like cross-play with the Switch is awesome, and I fully expect Fortnite for the Swicth to support it.

With Microsoft's move to the Xbox as a platform instead of a console, it would be pretty awesome to see Xbox games launching on the Swicth.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It really seems like you're overplaying the "relationship" these two companies actually have.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Once Microsoft goes 3rd party, we'll see Banjo, the Toads, and gang back on Nintendo. I mean, we already had GBA/DS titles from their properties already, so it wouldn't be that big of a stretch.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, is it? I think it only looks like this, because Sony is interested in keeping their Wall between the other consoles.
Nintendo is allowing an Xbox login system and Xbox achievements on the Switch with Minecraft. Microsoft featured the Switch at their E3 presser last year. So something is kinda there

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Microsoft has said they want Banjo in Smash. That seems like the final goal here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
There is no "relationship". Neither of them is blocking cross-platform play so developers are taking advantage of this. That's all there is to it.
This. And for Smash Phil will only do it because it's free promotion in a huge game. People going wild assuming exclusive games going multiplatform because of this relationship that barely exist are in for a huge disappointment.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Banjo in Smash, Goldeneye 64 re-release on Eshop/Xbox Store, maybe even Banjo remakes on Switch/Xbox/PC developed if the stars align.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not feeling an uprecedented partnership between both companies, but they are definitely on better terms than Sony

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
snoop.png

Deleted member 44288

User requested account closure
Banned
May 30, 2018
Nintendo probably dropped their monster condom that they use for their magnum dong and Microsoft took notice.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, it's only here as far as they're both playing catch up to Sony, and pretty far behind too.

The minute any one of them thinks they're good to go, it's going to be "F* You, got Mine".

It's just business.

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017
I think in general the relationship between two firms is ended once one of the two becomes a clear leader on the market.

Until then, enjoy it.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was only a pitch, never got approval.

Now lets say MS goes full crazy here and their rumored streaming service also hits Switch, then we would get Halo on Switch :) (Though the Halo DLC is on Switch for Minecraft)
Streaming an FPS sounds horrible.

And yes i added that fact in ^.^

Sad that it never leaked.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue is with the Goldeneye licence, MS, Rare or Nintendo don't have it (I think Activision has the James Bond game licence). Hence it wasn't on Rare Replay. Although, if the N64 Mini is real, it absolutely has to have Goldeneye, right?!?!
No video game publisher currently holds the Bond license. As far as I'm aware it's vacant.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen I see Microsoft releasing exclusives on Switch 2 and Nextbox simultaneously and renaming "exclusives" to "Xbox originals" as well as bringing Game Pass over to the Switch via streaming.

Not now but next gen. I think Microsoft will still release a hardware box but that box will be more if you care about power, graphics and performance. And you can play what are now known as "exclusives" on Switch if you so choose to.

Add Nintendo reciprocating and this is my dream situation

Will never happen

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
It really seems like you're overplaying the "relationship" these two companies actually have.

I don't think so, I'm not saying there will be more stuff happening outside of crossplay and Minecraft, I'm just saying the point of this thread is what else can happen with this partnership, can it be stronger? I'd like to hear what people think.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I don't see Banjo being in Smash. Just not a big enough character. Few care. Master Chief would be better, but he's never been in a game on a Nintendo platform so that makes no sense either.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Lol, it's only here as far as they're both playing catch up to Sony, and pretty far behind too.

The minute any one of them thinks they're good to go, it's going to be "F* You, got Mine".

It's just business.

I'm curious why do you care? of course relationship status can change depending on the market, but right now, it is nice. Why "lol"

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think so, I'm not saying there will be more stuff happening outside of crossplay and Minecraft, I'm just saying the point of this thread is what else can happen with this partnership, can it be stronger? I'd like to hear what people think.

I'm saying, I think you've stated the extent of the partnership now, and into the future. Crossplay on some games and Minecraft. I think anything beyond that is wish-fulfillment. (If you want to grow it at all, I can see some type of licensing deal to allow for Rare content from the 64 days, but that's it.)

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Tbh they've always had a decent relationship, Microsoft games on DS and Halo nearly coming to it too, Rare games on GBA after Microsoft bought them etc. I'm sure most of the crossplay stuff these days is more about fucking Sony over than it is about helping each other tbh. And Minecraft, well they'd be incompetent fools not to get it on switch.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy the return of the short-lived "Wii60" team up : /

Seriously though...the relationship will never exceed anything other than a handful of games being cross play between them.

Oct 26, 2017
I half expect Nintendo Online services to be made by microsoft, and could be either a reskinned xbl or something microsoft built specifically for nintendo

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Add Nintendo reciprocating and this is my dream situation

Will never happen
I don't think Nintendo will reciprocate. But I know Microsoft promoted Phil Spencer (and this is findable in interviews) to VP of Gaming at Microsoft with the main goal being "to reach 1 billion gamers with Microsoft's games regardless of platform, not only Xbox One gamers but all gamers."

So I do think it's inevitable that Microsoft will eventually release Switch games. I think they'll release games on Windows 10, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Xbox and Switch. They won't release on PS4 because it's xbox's direct competition.

That's my prediction for the future of Xbox based on where Microsoft's goals are.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
We got Cloud and Snake in Smash... we got Spidey in the MCU, I have hopes for Banjo and Kazooie in Smash. Free advertisement for a Banjo-Threei

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I'm saying, I think you've stated the extent of the partnership now, and into the future. Crossplay on some games and Minecraft. I think anything beyond that is wish-fulfillment. (If you want to grow it at all, I can see some type of licensing deal to allow for Rare content from the 64 days, but that's it.)

Very good point!

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
It goes as far as it benefits Nintendo without costing them anything.

MS owns IPs from the RARE acquisition that were second tier Nintendo IPs. The fans of those games are on Nintendo hardware. The only way to generate value there is to work with Nintendo, even if that value is strictly from a PR standpoint.

Nintendo has given nothing here. There is no reciprocation, just MS doing moves to either maximize the sales of already cross platform titles (Minecraft), trying to leverage good PR out of old IPs (Smash comments) or simply not obstructing userbase sharing for online games when they're #2 and #3 in online userbase to be more competitive with #1.

The only way that changes is if MS decides to get out of the set top box game. If MS decides that they're better off bolstering the PC market and offering something like GamePass across multiple platforms I could see them providing a B2B service to take online infrastructure off Nintendo's plate. But that model is something MS can't really engage in if they can't put forth a meaningful competitor for Steam, otherwise they'll cap their sales potential for first party games and lose out on all the third party revenue they get on Xbox.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will happen but seeing a Smash teaser on MS's stage would be wild. :P