• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch getting achievement support when I'd do horrible things for trophy support on it would break me.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think Nintendo tolerates Microsoft. I don't think there will be some big announcement between the too, but Nintendo doesn't seem to be bothered by their presence.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Relationship is strong or Nintendo using MS to get more ppl on their new online service?

Also I want a pic of Reggie and Phil hugging and kissing each other.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
NOA is across the street from an MS building in Redmond isn't it?

I know it was that way years ago and was blocks from where Xbox team was.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo is a master of the knife in the back. They did it to Sony, they'll do it to MS

You clearly don't know the full story then. Sony put in the contract that they will have full rights to Nintendo ip's and Nintendo didn't want that.

Nintendo broke off the partnership in a unprofessional way but Sony is no angel in this story.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Nintendo is a master of the knife in the back. They did it to Sony, they'll do it to MS

Also....

SNES (well Super Famicom) CD-ROM expansion agreement between Nintendo and Sony in 1988 (SFC/SNES design was almost finished). The CD expansion later became known as the "Play Station" and announced in very early 1990. Both an add-on for the SFC/ SNES and a combined SNES CD-ROM system (which was unearthed by a collector 3 or 4 years ago!).

eSs2Bcb.jpg

fcEwFXJ.jpg

Nintendo & Philips (Sony's rival) announce CD-ROM partnership at Summer CES 1991 in Chicago. Nintendo put a knife in Sony's back.

Nintendo / Philips and Sony then all agree to work together on a 32-bit CD-ROM upgrade for SNES called the Nintendo Disc.

wmT04o4.jpg

Nintendo cancels all versions of the CD-ROM for SNES around mid 1993, and soon announces partnership with Silicon Graphics for 64-bit "Project Reality" console.

Sony announces the PlayStation-X (PS-X) near the end of 1993. PlayStation as we knew it was being born.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
You clearly don't know the full story then. Sony put in the contract that they will have full rights to Nintendo ip's and Nintendo didn't want that.

Nintendo broke off the partnership in a unprofessional way but Sony is no angel in this story.

That's the first I've heard of that. I heard they wanted to use Nintendo's IP's but not own them. And didn't Phillips get the exact same thing anyway, being allowed to use Zelda?

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
You know, when Phil talked about their upcoming game streaming service, I immediately thought "I bet this also comes to the Switch". I mean, that would be amazing.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
That's the first I've heard of that. I heard they wanted to use Nintendo's IP's but not own them. And didn't Phillips get the exact same thing anyway, being allowed to use Zelda?

I dont remember that detail in the story. I could have sworn it was because sony demanded royalties on every disc printed like a console maker, including nintendo games. Which is crazy.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Is this "Nintendo and Microsoft are buds" based on anything but allowing crossplay?

Because if it's just that, this notion is silly.
Nintendo of America and Microsoft are right across the street from each other. NOA and Microsoft have had a cozy relationship for years. But Japan makes the decisions.