• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No surprise. GC/Wii have a good library and made then portable is a win to win.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Switch has a heavily underclocked Tegra, the title is completely misleading and it is just based on assumptions.
I'm not that tech savvy but I've eaten up most Switch vs Shield comparisons. Correct me if I'm wrong here but as I understand it, the downclocks Switch has matches the specs that Shield usually hits eventually when running, as higher clocks aren't stable. Thus it's more a thing about stability vs peak performance.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not entirely sure about the CPU but I remember someone on the old forum did some in depth testing and found the Shield GPU throttled to to the exact same clockspeed as the Switches docked mode when under load for an extended period of time. It's also worth noting Android and it's API's have some pretty significant overhead compared to the Switches barebones OS.
That's true, I'm sure in a dedicated OS Nintendo can optimize it. Let's hope they do use it for the Switch though.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Can't the use the Joycon's gyroscope to emulate the IR pointer? It works fine in World of Goo. Admittedly not as good as IR with a real Wii Remote, but fine.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is why Donkey Kong Country Returns isn't included with the Tropical Freeze port. Would make sense if it's a VC title.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now what would be cool: Gamecube games are part of the online service, you get them free within your 20$ online subscription.

Considering Nintendo charges 10$ for even older games (SNES, NES) this seems unlikely but never say never. It certainly would be a great value
This is horrible business to give Gamecube games. I could never see that.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Can't the use the Joycon's gyroscope to emulate the IR pointer? It works fine in World of Goo.
It wouldn't say it works fine. It functions but it desyncs constantly. I can't see Nintendo going with this kind of input. Even Wii Motion Plus pointing uses the sensor bar for calibration.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
GC/Wii will happen in the future for sure on Switch, with the Wii I wonder if Nintendo will release a "WiiSwitch" Remote for Switch to they don't have to modify the Wii games, or just allow the Wiimotes to work on the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Yeah, once the Shield thing happened, I figured as much. Nintendo is always looking into this type of stuff, while pretending emulation is the devil. Luckily, the GC and Wii have been so easy to emulate.

Good find, OP.

Deleted member 8112

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now what would be cool: Gamecube games are part of the online service, you get them free within your 20$ online subscription.

Considering Nintendo charges 10$ for even older games (SNES, NES) this seems unlikely but never say never. It certainly would be a great value
On Wii U NES games are $5, SNES $8, N64 $10 and Wii $20. I imagine GC games would be $15 then.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Since most high profile Wii U games are definitely getting Switch ports, that means you can access Nintendo's entire gaming history on a single, handheld games console.

That's just freaking unbelievable, man. Can't wait to see Switch's Virtual Console.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would guess they charge 19 dollar/euro like for Wii games on Wii U (Xenoblade etc.). The question is if they will ever release it or want to make HD ports. Like Sony.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Wait so it is a gamecube emulator and not a Wii one?

I wonder if the nsmb one is different for being a Wii game

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

10 € is what they charged for N64 games

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool. Everyone has old Wii remotes around so that part should be ok.

Also, after seeing Labo, I am not convinced those Joy Con couldn't emulate Wii controls perfectly fine with the right set up. They're magical.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
2018: Game Boy Classic
2019: N64 Classic and GC/Wii VC
2020: Switch Pro
2021: GC Classic
2022: Wii Classic
2023: Wii U 2 "you thought it was over" edition

SY3rKiJ.gif

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Doesn't the Shield actually have higher CPU clocks or something like that?
Yes. Going by the clockspeed DF quoted (1050MHz), the Nvidia shield is capable of running at up to double the speed. Of course, the device is known to thermal throttle, so it's probably not actually that big a gap, but still, it does mean that just because something runs on the Shield doesn't automatically mean it'll run the same on the Switch.

That said, there was the curious Foxcon leak from late 2016 (which is seemingly legit given how much they got right) that claimed that the unit he saw running at speeds of 1.9GHz in a QA stress test with no issues. If there's any truth to this, it could be possible that Nintendo could patch in an alternate power profile for the system specifically for GC/Wii emulation. Since emulation is far more dependant on CPU performance than GPU, increasing CPU speed whilst down clocking the GPU could be an effective solution to keep power draw in check if the higher CPU speeds are required.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if it's using a modified iso. This is the GC version right, but I thought that version didn't originally support widesceen. Plus it would seem they changed the on screen button prompts.

Maybe those are just features of the emulator, with hacks (on a per game basis?) for video output and replacement HUD assets.

What's the evidence that the emulator is baked by Nintendo ?

It's being used in a Nintendo release. My guess, as other suggested, is that they had Nvidia engineers working on it in partnership with Nintendo.

OP
OP
dragonbane

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is the resolution increased in these games, or do they run at their original 480i/p?
TP runs at 1080p on the Shield

Why would you say that this is for the Switch when it's running on a Shield? Is it just because of similar architecture?
The hardware is identical. Yeah the OS layer is different but much of this emulation code could be be easily re-used on the Switch. It could be done in very little time and would perform just as well, probably even better since no Android

This is so interesting.

How is the emulation, in regards to resolution etc? Did they also introduce new textures etc for all of the button prompts? Any other noticeable changes?

I'm very curious how the Super Mario Galaxy release works without the Wiimote being used to control it. Did they just get rid of all the pointer-star stuff?
Resolution got bumped to 1080p. They enabled widescreen too and replaced the HUD. Otherwise very little changes

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think, if and when Virtual Console finally happens on Switch, we'll see Joy-Cons designed specifically to emulate Gamecube controllers, as well as Wiimote Plus support or a controller or Joy-Con that mimics that functionality.

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
I wouldn't call it "heavily underclocked" since in practical situations the Shield TV throttles and ends up performing about the same as the Switch, with 1GB of RAM less too.
According to Anandtech, the Shield TV does not suffer from any thermal throttling, so you can expect the CPU always running at 2GHz, that doubles Switch's clock speed.

Also, the Shield TV has 4 additional lower power ARM cores that Switch has disabled.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I´d rather have Nintendo remaster the most important games of the GC/Wii era, no interest in playing SD games.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think, if and when Virtual Console finally happens on Switch, we'll see Joy-Cons designed specifically to emulate Gamecube controllers, as well as Wiimote Plus support or a controller or Joy-Con that mimics that functionality.
I remember when the Switch was announced someone made a picture of the two joycons looking like a Gamecube controller.

OP
OP
dragonbane

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The Switch has a heavily underclocked Tegra, the title is completely misleading and it is just based on assumptions.
Only the GPU is heavily underclocked which plays a much smaller part in emulation than the CPU. Even if so, without the Android layer some resources are freed up as well. There is no way this emulator wouldn't perform very well on the Switch too.

Going by your reasoning about Dolphin not crashing in the same scenario I thought you were going to conclude Nvidia is using Dolphin code in their emulator. Glad that's not the case!
Didn't find anything from Dolphin in there. Probably just the same emulation shortcuts (no proper memory management)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
It still amazes me the number of people on ERA that thinks Nintendo is going to pass up the chance to resell their entire back catalogue to us again on their hot new platform which contains an entire new generation of players that barely know their older games past Wii. It's a question of if, not when folks.

...and when that happens I'm emptying my wallet for every damn title.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to Nintendo not announcing the Switch Virtual Console in the near future.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is very interesting. I'll buy Skies of Arcadia and Monkey Ball for sure. Hell even Sonic Adventure 2 battle could work lol

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
Only the GPU is underclocked which plays a much smaller part in emulation than the CPU. Even if so, without the Android layer some resources are freed up as well. There is no way this emulator wouldn't perform next to identical on the Switch
Not true. Shield TV CPU runs at 2GHz, Switch CPU runs at 1GHz.

Again, you are basing everything on assumptions and the title is just misleading.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
We're getting Mario Galaxy on Shield, aren't we? Will they just completely cut the IR parts out?

yea which is why I'm not surprised a Wii emulator is working on the Switch already. Kinda feel it will be one of the things with the online server. Access to virtual console games (form NES to Wii).