• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm a glitch hunter of the 3D Zelda Speedrun Community and recently we managed to get our hands on the Chinese NVIDIA Shield and Twilight Princess on it. This was made possible by a generous member of my TP community who took the risk of importing a Shield from China for $250 with 0 guarantees it would actually be possible to make it work. Buying the game from the Chinese store proved to be difficult, but a member from this very community here at resetera went ahead and used her wechat account to buy the game for us.

2 days ago Pheenoh, the person who imported the shield, did a full playthrough and glitch testing on this version. You can find the VOD here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/224297805

The most remarkable things about this version is how well it performs. It doesn't crash, it has no graphical issues, the framerate is locked at 30 fps pretty much throughout the entire game and the loading times are on par with the Dolphin Emulator with fast load times enabled, so pretty much instant.

There was one thing that hit our attention however. 2 notorious consistent game crashes on the original GC did not crash the game on the Shield. Interestingly enough the same 2 glitches that also didn't crash Dolphin until very recently where an option of proper Memory Management emulation became available.

With the hints mounting up, yesterday we went ahead and dumped the APK from the shield. After extracting it I immediately found the native executable that should be the game executable if this was a true port of the game. But taking a look at it it didn't match its GC counterpart whatsoever - especially crucial game asset strings that are required to run the game are missing.

What I did find however were the following strings:

1mfslu.png

Note: OSPanic is a GC function called by the game when it encounters a critical error

22kswe.png

my91pgiqteknauvwqny3dmgs1g.png

3loswn.png

This leaves pretty much no doubt that the executable I'm looking at is in fact a GC emulator. A GC emulator that runs one of the most demanding games on the Cube very smoothly on the same hardware as the Switch. Something tells me this emulator wasn't created to just emulate 2 Nintendo games on a niche console in China :P

EDIT:

Title is maybe a bit misleading. Wouldnt mind if a mod changes it to: "Nintendo has theoretical access to a highly capable GC/Wii emulator for the Tegra X1"

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well, for Nvidia shield. I'm sure the switch could run it, but that's up to Nvidia to port it.
Would be smart as part of the deal, I'd think

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Nvidia hired one some of the Dolphin crew for this project, so I'm not surprised it runs well. Also GCN VC when?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Is the resolution increased in these games, or do they run at their original 480i/p?

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you say that this is for the Switch when it's running on a Shield? Is it just because of similar architecture?

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Release this shit already. Switch has been selling gangbusters as is.

This takes it to another level.

EDIT: When I say release I mean in any form. I'll pay for games.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
This is so interesting.

How is the emulation, in regards to resolution etc? Did they also introduce new textures etc for all of the button prompts? Any other noticeable changes?

I'm very curious how the Super Mario Galaxy release works without the Wiimote being used to control it. Did they just get rid of all the pointer-star stuff?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now what would be cool: Gamecube games are part of the online service, you get them free within your 20$ online subscription.

Considering Nintendo charges 10$ for even older games (SNES, NES) this seems unlikely but never say never. It certainly would be a great value

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give me Super Mario Sunshine so the world can know of a greater 3D Mario game than Galaxy and Odyssey.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hope I can play Super Mario Sunshine, Melee, MK Double-Dash and RE4 on Switch soon...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good work! I never doubted the technical feasibility of GC virtual console, just the financial (from Nintendo's POV). However, this makes me think we'll get a few surprises when the mysterious online service is finally revealed.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
But this is made by Nvidia, not by Nintendo.

I'm thinking this will never see the light of day on Switch

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Going by your reasoning about Dolphin not crashing in the same scenario I thought you were going to conclude Nvidia is using Dolphin code in their emulator. Glad that's not the case!

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me Super Mario Sunshine so the world can know of a greater 3D Mario game than Galaxy and Odyssey.
Sunshine is a little weird though because it needs analog triggers to really work right. Nintendo has came up with stranger reasons not to do something though, and it wouldn't shock me if they just sit on this entire thing for years before selling anything. It took them years before they even started selling Wii games on the Wii U eshop despite it being a no brainer since launch day.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy Phantasy Star Online, Skies of Arkadia and Super Monkey Ball again for Switch, if they were in HD and with true widescreen.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Solution to IR:

Allow gyro usage in the left Joy Con for pointer and leave right Joy Con for Wii gyro. Touchscreen usage for portable mode pointing.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
This is some great work! Hopefully Nintendo start talking about their plans for their classic games on Switch soon. Portable F-Zero GX would be amazing.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Doesn't the Shield CPU run on double the clock of the Switch CPU?

I'm not entirely sure about the CPU but I remember someone on the old forum did some in depth testing and found the Shield GPU throttled to to the exact same clockspeed as the Switches docked mode when under load for an extended period of time. It's also worth noting Android and it's API's have some pretty significant overhead compared to the Switches barebones OS and the Switch has an addition GB of RAM.

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Switch has a heavily underclocked Tegra, the title is completely misleading and it is just based on assumptions.
I wouldn't call it "heavily underclocked" since in practical situations the Shield TV throttles and ends up performing about the same as the Switch, with 1GB of RAM less too.