• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, I just bought one. There's nothing on the German website about them being time-limited.

Why? They're still knocking 10 euro off most games, 20 in the case of BOTW.
Yep. I've got mine for digital Sword & Shield and that's still saving £15 off eShop price

Nov 4, 2017
Those vouchers are essentially useless in Europe anyway.
How so? Is it just pricing weirdness?

Here it works out to be about a AU$5 saving compared to physical (most games can be found for AU$69 here physical), or up to AU$45 compared to digital (some games are AU$90, most are AU$80, so a typical saving for most cases is AU$25). You also get about $6 worth of golf coins too, which you could add to your saving. So here it's a great deal if you want to go digital anyway (which I typically do for casual MP games like Mario Kart), but not that great a deal if you prefer physical. If you factor in the benefits of physical (resale value, preservation, sharing), you could argue the vouchers are a worse deal, but that's only if you love the benefits of physical.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Prefer physical, so only used one voucher on Mario Maker 2. Saving the other for Animal Crossing, although it's possible that one will get a nice physical Collector's Edition or maybe Switch Lite bundle.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How so? Is it just pricing weirdness?

Here it works out to be about a AU$5 saving compared to physical (most games can be found for AU$69 here physical), or up to AU$45 compared to digital (some games are AU$90, most are AU$80, so a typical saving for most cases is AU$25). You also get about $6 worth of golf coins too, which you could add to your saving. So here it's a great deal if you want to go digital anyway (which I typically do for casual MP games like Mario Kart), but not that great a deal if you prefer physical. If you factor in the benefits of physical (resale value, preservation, sharing), you could argue the vouchers are a worse deal, but that's only if you love the benefits of physical.

Yeah. Not even factoring the benefits, physical versions are just cheaper here.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they bring it back stateside. Bought 4 vouchers total. Used two on Mario Maker and Fire Emblem, and saving the other two for Link and either Dragon Quest or Luigi's Mansion.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Hello. Quick question: can I buy vouchers on the jp eshop (they're cheaper right?)? I have a jp credit card even though i currently don't live there, and an address.
And will these vouchers be usable on other eshops if needed?

Ooteeni

Oct 27, 2017
Gift Cards and vouchers that have expiry dates are total crap. You have paid already why should it expire.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Hello. Quick question: can I buy vouchers on the jp eshop (they're cheaper right?)? I have a jp credit card even though i currently don't live there, and an address.
And will these vouchers be usable on other eshops if needed?

You can. Some said you loose access to the voucher once you switch region. However, that's not my experience, I bought one set in the Swedish EShop and another one in the German EShop and all vouchers are visible no matter where I'm logged in.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gift Cards and vouchers that have expiry dates are total crap. You have paid already why should it expire.

You're not wrong - and technically, where I am, gift cards, vouchers, etc are legally not supposed to expire or have "maintenance fees". I'm pretty curious what would happen if somebody raised a stink over these.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Does the possibility of using a voucher normally become available as we get closer to the game?

Only reason I ask is because I finally bought two tonight for Link's Awakening and LM3, but the option to use one for Luigi wasn't there.. 😣

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does the possibility of using a voucher normally become available as we get closer to the game?

Only reason I ask is because I finally bought two tonight for Link's Awakening and LM3, but the option to use one for Luigi wasn't there.. 😣
Yeah, holding my second one for Pokémon. They last a year as well, so there's no need to worry about time. Once it's up for pre-purchase, the voucher will work, just like with Link's Awakening.

What I'm curious about if you'll tell me, when you used it on Link's Awakening, did you get that Double Coin thing as well that it's advertising?

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019

You can't redeem a voucher for a game until it's available for pre-order, and Luigi's Mansion isn't available for pre-order yet.

What I'm curious about if you'll tell me, when you used it on Link's Awakening, did you get that Double Coin thing as well that it's advertising?
You don't get any coins when you redeem a voucher for a game, you got coins when you bought the voucher.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
What is the point of killing this deal? They already make more with it than a physical copy, and it just means I'll buy more physical games. Digital ratios must already be fairly high for them not to care. I guess the argument could be made for all digital storefronts that don't discount their games, but it's more odd because other territories still have it and other's are less reluctant to discount their titles.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
What is the point of killing this deal? They already make more with it than a physical copy, and it just means I'll buy more physical games. Digital ratios must already be fairly high for them not to care. I guess the argument could be made for all digital storefronts that don't discount their games, but it's more odd because other territories still have it and other's are less reluctant to discount their titles.
Maybe one of the purposes of the vouchers is (beyond NSO) is to get more people on the digital bandwagon. And maybe the digital share in the US is already high enough, while in EU and Japan it generally isn't, and they want those audiences to get used to buy more digital by continuing with the vouchers. Just a guess though.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
At least in the US, even if you don't have legacied GCU, everyone should have a Walmart around them for basically the equivalent discount on new physical switch games.