• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 7, 2018
Protip: If you're in the UK, don't get Bayonetta 2 and another £39.99 game with your voucher, as, with Bayonetta 2 currently on sale for £25, you'd lose £19.01 from buying the voucher! Even if Bayo 2 was full price, getting two of the £39.99 games still loses you £4.02, so, ummm, don't do that!

edit: Bayo 2 might only be on sale for me because I have Bayo 1 download from my physical Bayo 2 copy?! Still, it shows the kind of possibilities to actually lose money from the vouchers if some games offer discounts when you own others in the series or from the same publisher etc!

double edit: I think some people thought I meant these vouchers were a bad idea? I don't, I've bought one already for Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem :) was just pointing out that, in the UK, there are a bunch of combinations that could lose you a few quid if you didn't pay attention.

Last edited:

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a decent deal if you buy 2 $50 Eshop cards at costco for $45 each. That way you the $100 voucher pack for $90 + $10 back in gold coins. Basically a B1G1 half off.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
You get 500 coins upfront, when you use these vouchers, do you still get those games coins as well?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It would be so much easier if they just priced the games at $50 flat out.

For me, I'd only want Mario Maker 2 Digital. I'm getting FE and Astral Chain physical.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I use a free trial NsO for my us account and buy this for 100$ ?

I always buy my game on my us account even though my main is French because dollar much cheaper.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Ummm, where is that deal? Is this a stealth brag? That is not normal.
Yeah. It raised my eyebrow here. One off deals ok but he made it sound like he has access to these discounts on demand. I doubt Nintendo is selling these cards to retailers at half value. The costco discounts are probably close.to cost for them

Oct 27, 2017
Is the e-shop the only place to purchase these? In the email it says I can buy them online but when I try to do that it says go to the eshop.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
It would be so much easier if they just priced the games at $50 flat out.

For me, I'd only want Mario Maker 2 Digital. I'm getting FE and Astral Chain physical.

The great thing is that you can redeem this for Mario Maker Digital special edition!! So this includes a 12 month NSO subscription. And you can redeem Astral Chain Digital when that becomes live. Maybe even a special edition of that too. All within the same voucher!!

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
damn I want to get Astral Chain, Fire Emblem, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance... wonder if i can find a 4th game and be set...

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
When I try to buy two, it doesn't update the coupon (so it only applies $10 instead of $20). Can I buy two of these separately?
Had the same thing happen to me. And then it rejected my CC anyway (it has a US address but is not from a US bank). I guess I'l wait for the next Paypal deal.

Anyway, it is my impression that you would either need to place 2 separate purchases or (if they don't let you) you might need to open another account with a different address and card.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Had the same thing happen to me. And then it rejected my CC anyway (it has a US address but is not from a US bank). I guess I'l wait for the next Paypal deal.

Anyway, it is my impression that you would either need to place 2 separate purchases or (if they don't let you) you might need to open another account with a different address and card.
Kind of a pain but I'll try it anyway. Getting Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem for $42 a piece is too good a deal.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
That would be an ideal situation but the idea is probably for you to spend more on games. The idea is to encourage you to pick up more games per transaction.

The best thing for me would be to lengthen the expiration date. I'll probably find 2 games to buy within a year.

I get the idea, and the offer itself is fine, but they should simply not be running an offer where you pay upfront for a voucher and could lose $40 of what you paid upfront if you don't redeem the promotional value in time. All they need to do is make it so you never lose what you paid upfront, even if they give you back your $40 unused in credit.

This was a huge point of contention with the daily deal voucher sites, and is very problematic. Nintendo needs to clarify and handle the expiration part properly. Right now it appears they are not.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Interesting. Just make sure to use them on $60 games, or else you'll be wasting money.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
The great thing is that you can redeem this for Mario Maker Digital special edition!! So this includes a 12 month NSO subscription. And you can redeem Astral Chain Digital when that becomes live. Maybe even a special edition of that too. All within the same voucher!!

Wait really? Lol. I'll have like 3 years now thanks to Amazon and this. Haha

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'm not sure why some posters are still saying "yeah but you can get the games for cheaper physically".
I'm pretty sure everyone knows, that's not the point, nor the audience aimed for.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If you choose wisely, you can save almost 50 bucks.

Get mario makes special edition
Get fire emblem

If you buy eshop cards on sale, you can save 10.

Then plus 20 with this sale.

Plus 20 bucks for nontendo online.

Man, if you know what you are doing, u can even skip taxes.

Choose wisely

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
A few questions regarding EU eShop:

- Does the voucher allow for buying Super Mario Maker 2's 70€ limited digital edition, or only the regular 60€ digital edition?

- Still regarding digital editions of SMM2, do you only get the stylus if you preorder the limited edition or do you also get it with the regular one?

- If I'm not using the vouchers thing I may end up getting the digital limited edition, but how does the 1 year NSO offer work if I'm already subscribed? Does it extend my subscription for another year? Might be simpler if they only give a code to register but I'm not sure they do in this specific (and new) case.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup just tripled checked, you CANT get the special edition with the voucher. Only the base $60 version.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I think so.

I'm away from my Switch at the moment.

Can anybody confirm that the Digital Limited Edition of SMM2 can be bought with a Nintendo Switch Game Voucher?
A few questions regarding EU eShop:

- Does the voucher allow for buying Super Mario Maker 2's 70€ limited digital edition, or only the regular 60€ digital edition?

- Still regarding digital editions of SMM2, do you only get the stylus if you preorder the limited edition or do you also get it with the regular one?

- If I'm not using the vouchers thing I may end up getting the digital limited edition, but how does the 1 year NSO offer work if I'm already subscribed? Does it extend my subscription for another year? Might be simpler if they only give a code to register but I'm not sure they do in this specific (and new) case.
You can't get the Digital LE of SMM2 with a voucher as far as I can see.
Looks like you can get the stylus with both versions, but you should check on the eshop page though.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe people are finding ways to say this is not a good deal. Lol.

Anyways, I'll wait for E3 to know if I'll be able to grab Mario Maker 2 and Animal Crossing with one voucher.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
The South African price increases in combination with these tickets means I'll finally start shopping in my UK store for the first time!
Well played Nintendo, you got me 👏🏽

Oct 26, 2017
Calling this a scam is silly. It's just a rather mediocre and unexciting deal considering quite a few of these games have been on sale before on the eshop for $40 instead of $60, and some don't even cost $60 to begin with....

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People really mad about an optional discount program?

Protip: don't use it if you can't do math

If you have 2 new games in mind like Marvel UA3 and Fire Emblem this is a great deal.

Why would you buy the vouchers if you didn't have a good reason to?

Hmm might use for MUA3 and FE3H since I planned to buy them anyway
I don't see how there's any might about it in this case, unless you're adamant about physical

The two games even come out within days of each other so you don't have to spend that other $50 upfront and wait a long time for the 2nd game to release.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Since I have a EU subscription this isn't possible (I don't have a Family Plan either).
I have bought my subscription in South Africa, use it in the EU and bought the vouchers in the Swedish eShop (since they only cost 80€ there).
Redeemed SMM2 and bought another game with the gold coins.

In other words, the online subscription is not region locked!

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have bought my subscription in South Africa, use it in the EU and bought the vouchers in the Swedish eShop (since they only cost 80€ there).
Redeemed SMM2 and bought another game with the gold coins.

In other words, the online subscription is not region locked!

Don't know what to tell you, I have a yearly subscription in The Netherlands and while purchasing the vouchers in the US I get this error:

"A paid Nintendo Switch Online membership is required. You can become a member here. "

Edit: you might just have a family plan.

Last edited:

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
If you already have NSO anyways, and want to pick up big upcoming $50+ games that likely won't go on sale right away. This seems like a solid deal for those digital mostly purchasers.

Probably going to hold off till E3 to see what other games get release dates.