• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit you weren't kidding
Users with an active, paid Nintendo Switch Online membership (individual or family) are eligible to purchase and redeem vouchers. If your Nintendo Switch Online membership ends before you redeem a voucher, you will still be able to use the voucher as long as you begin a new membership before the voucher expires.
Like the discount is nice but the fine print on this shit is so fucking trashy. Honestly, Nintendo, got half a mind to tell you to get fucked with this shit.
How easy is it to add, remove users to a family? Is it infinite amount?
That might be the reason Nintendo restrict usage of the voucher only to NO service subscribers.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'd be wary of using the vouchers for third party games. They've been dropping in price relatively quickly. I'd use them on first party games since the best deals we get are like 10% off.
I'm with you on this. It would be a smarter way to use the vouchers. Astral Chain and Daemon X will hit the deal page in a while, but don't see any way to spend the vouchers on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda is obviously first party and will get minimal discounts for the next few years so it is safe to use a voucher on... What about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Astral Chain? They are published by Nintendo so does that mean nearly 0 discounts for the next few years too?
Its a case by case basis probably... Monster Hunter is 50% off right now, published by Nintendo.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if it's been asked already, but can eShop credit and Gold points be used towards the voucher purchase? And does the $20 discount apply upon checkout?

In other words, if I managed to get for example $100 eShop credits for $80, then combined with the $20 discount that's a $40 total in savings?

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Sorry if it's been asked already, but can eShop credit and Gold points be used towards the voucher purchase? And does the $20 discount apply upon checkout?

In other words, if I managed to get for example $100 eShop credits for $80, then combined with the $20 discount that's a $40 total in savings?
Yeah. You just need to spend $100 to get the vouchers. How much you spend on $100 eShop credit, discounts, etc.is up to you. :p

So if you get $100 for $80, go for it.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You can use eShop credit and gold points to cover the cost. It basically just works as buying one product for $99.99 - so the $20 discount is just built in.

I bought $100 of credit from Newegg for $90 and used that to buy the vouchers, and my gold points offset the sales tax.

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
Just bought my first vouchers and a copy of SMM2. It feels like I am doing something illicit. Now to determine of I should immediately buy another set.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, that makes this deal a whole lot more enticing.

So if I find eShop credit in CAG or the BST thread that's practically B1G1 50% off. Might use it for Fire Emblem and Link's Awakening.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
So, how are we supposed to use the voucher for link's awakening, Astral Chain, or Pokémon if the games aren't up for pre order on the eshop yet?

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot there was a end date for the vouchers. I thought it would be an ongoing thing. I guess I should buy soon before I forget.

I know Animal Crossing: New Horizons will be one of the purchases because I'll want that always available and I doubt it will be that big size wise. Not sure on the second game.

Last edited:

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Can we change the title to omit the Nintendo announces part? Just every time I see this topic my heart skips a beat because I think the next part of that sentence. Is "Nintendo Switch Mini and Pro" and I'm then met with a feeling of disappointment.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
I'd bet that Nintendo stops announcing new voucher titles after the deal ends on July 31st. Why the cynicism? Experience. :)

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I just redeemed my 1st pair of vouchers on Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem. Bought a second pair, likely for Zelda and Animal Crossing.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Nintendo say animal crossing will definitely work with a voucher? Buying a voucher that won't be for sale after July for a March game seems like it might not work

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit you weren't kidding

Like the discount is nice but the fine print on this shit is so fucking trashy. Honestly, Nintendo, got half a mind to tell you to get fucked with this shit.
Yeah that's fucking Nintendo levels of Nintendo. At least I got the LE of SMM2 so I'm good until 2020, but it's just stupid to do that to people who don't want to continue with the service.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that's fucking Nintendo levels of Nintendo. At least I got the LE of SMM2 so I'm good until 2020, but it's just stupid to do that to people who don't want to continue with the service.
Nintendo's entire goal with the vouchers is to get more people on NSO and to get more people to keep their account. So it might be stupid from your point of view, but not from Nintendo's point of view as far as achieving their goals.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Bought one for mario maker 2 and animal crossing. But now I'm thinking Luigi mansion...bound to be one more by July I want? Although LM could easily be a physical buy

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Did Nintendo say animal crossing will definitely work with a voucher? Buying a voucher that won't be for sale after July for a March game seems like it might not work
There is only the list. What isn't on the list hasn't been mentioned. And the list gets updated. Reminder that there is no end date in Europe for these mentioned anywhere. So don't get too hung up/panicky about this July thing.

ShivUK

Nov 2, 2017
It's interesting that they allow you to buy so many of them. It's also interesting to me that NoE will (seemingly) continue to offer these for sale past the end of July.

Imagine you buy a bunch of vouchers, redeem them to pre-purchase as many as you can and then "fill up" to 8 vouchers again. Apparently you can't get a refund and the vouchers expire after a year.

Nintendo should stop offering these for sale as soon as they know that for the next 12 month period they only have less than 8 titles still to be added to the list (or enable for redemption). If not, they are knowingly selling you something that you could end up not being able to use even if you wanted to... right? Maybe this is why NoA will stop selling them after the end of July?

If NoE stop selling them at some point, maybe that tells us something?

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is only the list. What isn't on the list hasn't been mentioned. And the list gets updated. Reminder that there is no end date in Europe for these mentioned anywhere. So don't get too hung up/panicky about this July thing.

Oh interesting I didn't know that.
Still probably wouldn't buy a voucher for animal crossing until they put it on the list of games that work with vouchers

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
It's interesting that they allow you to buy so many of them. It's also interesting to me that NoE will (seemingly) continue to offer these for sale past the end of July.

Imagine you buy a bunch of vouchers, redeem them to pre-purchase as many as you can and then "fill up" to 8 vouchers again. Apparently you can't get a refund and the vouchers expire after a year.

Nintendo should stop offering these for sale as soon as they know that for the next 12 month period they only have less than 8 titles still to be added to the list (or enable for redemption). If not, they are knowingly selling you something that you could end up not being able to use even if you wanted to... right? Maybe this is why NoA will stop selling them after the end of July?

The current list is like 20 titles. Nintendo will no doubt announce and release more titles between now and next July.

Do you think Nintendo will remove titles and not announce/release any? Cmon.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo will always have more than 8 new games on a year span. Don't worry about that.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo has already said that all first party, full priced games will use the vouchers. You will be able to use these on Animal Crossing for sure.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I had hoped, I found a deal that nabbed me $100 eShop credit for $80. Since I had $3 in Gold points, combined with the $20 savings that's two new Switch games for $38 each. Sweet.

The two games I'm interested in are Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Link's Awakening. This should be the best value since first party Nintendo games don't go on sale often (and when they do they are seldom at that price). The only other games for Switch I'm interested in this year are Astral Chain and DQXI, both which have a better chance of dropping in price sooner rather than later.

Odds should be high both games will turn out solid, yes?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As I had hoped, I found a deal that nabbed me $100 eShop credit for $80. Since I had $3 in Gold points, combined with the $20 savings that's two new Switch games for $38 each. Sweet.

The two games I'm interested in are Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Link's Awakening. This should be the best value since first party Nintendo games don't go on sale often (and when they do they are seldom at that price). The only other games for Switch I'm interested in this year are Astral Chain and DQXI, both which have a better chance of dropping in price sooner rather than later.

I mean Link's awakening seems like a pretty straight adaption of the original which is probably my all time favorite 2D zelda. Fire Emblem seems really promising from what we've seen as well

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Want to get another two with the intent of using one for DQXI.

Now trying to decide between Fire Emblem or Ultimate Alliance 3 for the other.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a limit to how many vouchers you can buy? I thought the limit was one per account.

I may be tempted to get one more to add DQXI with something else. Unsure yet.

Also the cash back from the Gold points was great timing as I also used it on Baba is You, which conveniently went on sale the day of my voucher purchase.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a limit to how many vouchers you can buy? I thought the limit was one per account.

No limit on how many you can buy, but I believe the deal ends July 31 and also I think they're only good for a year. So... don't stock up on a ton of these thinking you'll redeem them over the rest of the life of the console.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Also the cash back from the Gold points was great timing as I also used it on Baba is You, which conveniently went on sale the day of my voucher purchase.
I think the limit is 8 (4 pairs).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No limit on how many you can buy, but I believe the deal ends July 31 and also I think they're only good for a year. So... don't stock up on a ton of these thinking you'll redeem them over the rest of the life of the console.

Yeah, but since it could also be used on elligible pre-orders, it could still be worth future-proofing so that you have a voucher ready for an upcoming Switch game announced during E3 2020.

Again, thinking in terms of the most objectively best values. FE and LA are games I want day one, same with DQXI. Even though I'm interested in Astral Chain I can see that game nosediving in price sooner rather than later. So it would be best to use the vouchers on games you want+won't drop in price anytime soon.

Prince Abubu

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
United States
I didn't know that this ended on July 31st. I'd heard about this program from several sources, but the end date was never mentioned.

I guess I'm not buying as many games this year as I'd planned, since my budgeting has been based around the idea that I would still be able to buy vouchers in September.

Cilla

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia

I'm still looking for a deal! Do you mind if I ask where you grabbed it from?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I didn't know that this ended on July 31st. I'd heard about this program from several sources, but the end date was never mentioned.

I guess I'm not buying as many games this year as I'd planned, since my budgeting has been based around the idea that I would still be able to buy vouchers in September.
This is only for NA. There is no end date in EU. Who knows if it's even really ending.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to get a couple of the discounted $50 eShop cards off Massgenie, but kept getting an error when I tried to check out. Might end up biting the bullet and getting these straight from my card.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
It really sucks that they expire in a year because I was hoping to use it on BotW2, but oh well.

Now the question is, do I use one on Fire Emblem or Dragon Quest XI? I've only touched one game in each series, which I enjoyed but never finished.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp. I guess I'm getting another one of these.

Right now I only used one on SMM2 and had planned on using the other for DQ XIS... but now I kinda want to grab either the new Fire Emblem or Astral Chain along w/ Ultimate Alliance 3 lol.