• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So basically there is no reason not to get this if you are pre-ordering digital. Will get SMM2 and Fire Emblem

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
I'm guessing that each direct will have something to add for NSO owners?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who doesn't have GCU anymore, this really makes me think twice about going digital for big releases. 90% of my day-1 purchases the last few years have been Nintendo games, and I have never paid $60 for a game. Being able to get these titles for $50 on release day is very enticing.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So after initially complaining I've only gone and bought 'em and redeemed 'em on Yoshi's Crafted World & MUA3 (since I'm still not sold on Astral Chain).

£40 for each is a good deal ATM and it's very convenient for getting games preloaded and such.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Potentially get 2 new $60 games at essentially $25 off.

Seems good to me?

*shrug*

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why not just give NSO members the discount on games as standard rather than add the extra hoop to jump through?

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This was a no brainer for me. Pre-ordered Mario Maker 2 & definitely going to get Fire Emblem so wth. I imagine these vouchers will be good on future first party releases, but Nintendo, so... I'll probably keep a couple in the hole for after this promo ends.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Question: do you get 500 coins in addition to the coins from the games you purchase, or just the 500 coins?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Buy 2 games, save $20 ($10 each) if both priced at $60. Pretty good discounts if you have the games on your wishlist for digital purchases anyway. You also get back more discount through more gold coins from digital. Use that on Mario Maker 2 and any other likely $60 new title. Not worth it for some of the games mentioned in that OP though, as a few can be found for <$50 anyways

Not bad at all, good job Nintendo

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
OOOP i found it

• To receive promotional value, at least one Voucher must be redeemed for a game priced at $59.99 or above at time of redemption. The Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers may not be combined with any other sale, discount, or promotional offer unless otherwise specified.
49IldKI.png

one game must be 60 bucks to get this actual promotion

Since you're not required to buy any games with the promotion's purchase and can save the vouchers for later, I don't think you "have" to redeem two 60 dollar games. I think it simply means you only get the advertised value out of it if at least one game was 59.99.

Save up to $19.99 on two games with Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers

You only save money if at least one game was in the $60 tier. It's not saying you must at least redeem one voucher with that, just that you only get the promotional value (i.e. a cash saving) if you do.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was a no brainer for me. Pre-ordered Mario Maker 2 & definitely going to get Fire Emblem so wth. I imagine these vouchers will be good on future first party releases, but Nintendo, so... I'll probably keep a couple in the hole for after this promo ends.

I'm hoping that Nintendo is happy with the promotion results and makes it permanent.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
I could buy SMO and Zelda for $50 each this way, or... I could buy each for $60 physical and resell them months later for $50 each. Or even buy and resell later for the same $50 if I'm getting used games.

i love having a full digital library everywhere else, but on Switch it doesn't make much sense. At least for first and second parties.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Keep this rolling past July 31, 2019, Nintendo, and you'll make me an extra happy all-digital customer. When you factor in 5% Gold Coin, it's a comparable saving to what I used to get on $60 physical games with GCU (albeit, ignoring Best Buy's rewards program), except this is digital which I've been about for years now.

LooseGoose717

Banned
May 9, 2019
Oh, right, I'm not a lurker anymore. Lol

For this wondering why this deal isn't THAT great, a one-year NSO sub costs $20, so that and two games would cost $140. You save only $20, which isn't bad but hardly worth going crazy over. Granted, if you buy multiple vouchers within that year... 🤔

but, consider that it's fairly easy to get a lot of Switch games physically for $50 or less once they've been out for a while. Plus, some games aren't worth holding on to for most once they've beaten the game, so they opt to resell the game and save money on their next purchase.

If the voucher was two physical games instead, it would likely get better reception. Something else to consider is that $100 is a lot to drop at once for some people, and yeah.

hope this post clears up any confusion!

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad for day one stuff. I'm intrested in Mario maker but not much else new until Bayo 3. Not risking that missing the cutoff.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Keep this rolling past July 31, 2019, Nintendo, and you'll make me an extra happy all-digital customer. When you factor in 5% Gold Coin, it's a comparable saving to what I used to get on $60 physical games with GCU (albeit, ignoring Best Buy's rewards program), except this is digital which I've been about for years now.

Here's hoping to this promotion goes well and they keep it, amazing deal for digital. My GCU is still good but MM is 100% a must get digital game. Nabbed 100 eshop credit a moment ago for 85 dollars, going to be much cheaper then GCU even.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Are you able to buy these as gifts or are they locked to your account? Example: if I were to buy a voucher, could I redeem one game and let my friend redeem the other? Would I be able to buy a voucher and let my friend redeem both?

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good to me, I'm all digital for Switch and I'll be picking up Fire Emblem, Mario Maker, Ultimate Alliance, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon for sure on their respective launch days, so this is decent savings for me.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Cool that Astral Chain is eligible. I'll save 40€ in two games, that's a pretty good fucking deal. Fire Emblem + Astral Chain would be 140€, the voucher is 99€. No brainer.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Selection is kind of awful , I wish it simply converts the unspent portion into another game or an eshop credit of similar value. This way people could dump it into Fortnite battle passes, or buy eshop games etc.

This would be a great way to lift up everyone on the store and not just their own games.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect this to work on any game released after July 31th 2019 as you can no longer buy the vouchers after this date and the promo page when you buy them on the actual switch only mention Astral Chain, Fire Emblem and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 as future eligible games.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Do the vouchers need to be redeemed prior to July 31st?

I would be all over this if we had a release date for AC. I was planning to go digital this time around.
1 year from purchase of the vouchers, which ends July 31st, so max end date is July 31st, 2020
I don't expect this to work on any game released after July 31th 2019 as you can no longer buy the vouchers after this date and the promo page when you buy them on the actual switch only mention Astral Chain, Fire Emblem and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 as future eligible games.
"The selection of eligible software will continue to grow over time."