• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
Hmm, smart move that it ends in July. Enough time to think about buying vouchers after E3 announcements. I'm thinking of buying SMM2 and Animal Crossing digitally.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we know if animal crossing, link's Awakening, or Luigi's Mansion will apply? If you can only buy them through July 31st, they might just limit it to summer titles.

There's really no reason to believe they would leave out any first party games.

Hell they currently have lower priced games eligible for the vouchers, which makes no sense.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
If MP4 were about to be released, I'd go for SMM2 at 70, and a couple of vouchers for FE and MP. Would save 30$. But since MP4 won't release soon, I can't find other game I want to play day one. Maybe Astral Chain, but we don't know a lot about it.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess that Dragon Quest XI will be eligible for this? It's going to be published by Nintendo isn't it? And I see that DQ Builders 1 is already eligible for it right now.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I guess that Dragon Quest XI will be eligible for this? It's going to be published by Nintendo isn't it? And I see that DQ Builders 1 is already eligible for it right now.

I was thinking the same thing but DQB2 isn't on the upcoming & it's coming out around the same time as MUA3/FE3H, so

unless it gets added later

Nov 3, 2017
I think this is a good deal in certain circumstances. I would certainly be interested if I could score some eShop cards on the cheap

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pay them now, get games later? Why not just give NSO users a discount like Sony does with PSPlus? Why make this so complicated?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This will pair great with the $35 Eshop card I got for Christmas. Glad I didn't used it for FF12. For two games, I save $55.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
you get gold coins for buying the vouchers. do you get coins for redeeming games too?
I believe so. Says you get 300 gold coins for SMM2. Should be about the same for other big unreleased games. So for me that's like $12 for four games, and $10 for two voucher purchases on top of the $40 savings. It really adds up.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last I check PS Plus doesn't give me a discount on newly released titles.
There are permanent discounts with ps plus? What do new games cost if you have ps plus?

Most games have a few bucks off for plus members, some have heavy discounts. For instance, I just bought GR Wildlands Deluxe Edition for $20 and it's $47 without PS Plus.

Some new games do come with discounts, but as you said it's not all of them. But it's also not all of Nintendo's games either so it's even. I did buy Spiderman on launch day for $5 off.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I believe so. Says you get 300 gold coins for SMM2. Should be about the same for other big unreleased games. So for me that's like $12 for four games, and $10 for two voucher purchases on top of the $40 savings. It really adds up.
thanks. good deal, all things considered. getting one of Pokemon Sword/Shield, probably Animal Crossing for the other

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking the same thing but DQB2 isn't on the upcoming & it's coming out around the same time as MUA3/FE3H, so

unless it gets added later

The thing is, only games that have an entry in the "Coming soon" section of the eShop are listed as eligible. Since games like DQB2 aren't in the Coming soon yet, I'm pretty sure it means they'll be added to the list later.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I was just about to come in and ask if you also get coins for the games you purchase, perfect!

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
For some reason thought those prices were in AUD (rrp is $99.95 here for most games) and was interested in the digital BOGOF premise but turns out it's usd...

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
But why does it expire after 1 year? You pay $100 and it can just expire? That seems dodgy to me

It is super dodgy if not redeeming the second one results in losing $40 from the amount you paid.

Legally there needs to be a way customer won't lose their paid value if they don't redeem the second one in time, even if they lose out on the promo discount. There have been class action suits against deal voucher sites for that sort of thing. This could end up being a bad look unless you get $40 back in eshop credit if you don't redeem for the second game before expiration. I'm surprised there's not any sort of explanation about that provided.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Dang. Oh well it's still a good deal.
ahh rip. oh well to that. still getting my vouchers tho after some eshop credit sales
Yeah, still not a bad deal. I bought my vouchers and had to look it up to see if it was intended or a bug. I bought 2x $50 for $45 each since PayPal and Newegg both had them for that price like a week ago. So I got the vouchers for $90 + the $5 in coins that the voucher purchase gives you, so basically $85 for 2 full price games, not bad

Also, SMM2 is preloading right now, not gonna lie that I'm a little bit salty that it's gonna taunt me every time I turn on my Switch for 6 whole weeks

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Most games have a few bucks off for plus members, some have heavy discounts. For instance, I just bought GR Wildlands Deluxe Edition for $20 and it's $47 without PS Plus.

Some new games do come with discounts, but as you said it's not all of them. But it's also not all of Nintendo's games either so it's even. I did buy Spiderman on launch day for $5 off.
Yeah.
I was going to add to your point by mentioning that a good number of games have gotten pre-release discounts for PS Plus members like Pre-order discounts and/or week 1 discounts, but yeah the time is more limited (since you have to do it during that period or you'd have to catch a PS Plus sale after that, if you don't buy at launch, since it's specific times) whereas these look like they give you the year but it is true that Nintendo's games don't really drop like other games so that's something decent about it I guess.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

That's a mulitple years old game with a current Ubisoft sale on PSN, it has literally no relationship to Brand New Games that haven't even released.

PS+ Does not give discounts like this on new stuff, sometimes you can net a small pre-order bonus.

You shouldn't be using these vouchers for anything other than new/coming soon First party games.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
If you're in the US and have an Amazon Prime Credit Card you get 5% credit back on any Amazon purchase so I buy E-Shop gift cards from Amazon if there's no better deal. Of course you don't get the money right away (you get the credit after you pay your credit card bill) but hey it's better than nothing.
If you have a Target RedCard, you can get 5% off the purchase price.

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i buy games for 30-40€ and can sell them later lol

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing is the most obvious digital purchase in the world, so assuming it isn't delayed past May 2020, I'm absolutely sure I'll have something to spend my voucher on along with SMM2. Good deal; essentially negates the cost of the NSO subscription.

Oct 26, 2017
This deal is absolutely insane for JP eshop users.

Was already planning day 1 digital for Fire Emblem and Astral Chain, which cost 7538 yen and 8618 yen respectively.

Instead I just bought the two voucher deal for 9980 yen to use towards those games and saved 6176 yen. That's literally almost the price of Super Mario Maker 2 on the eshop (6458 yen).

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if animal crossing, link's Awakening, or Luigi's Mansion will apply? If you can only buy them through July 31st, they might just limit it to summer titles.
eShop says that they plan to add more games "over time." They're sticking to what's dated so far.
I hope so as well. Hoping they run this deal with some regularity.

Switch is the only console I am physical on because I wasn't quite sure how things would turn out with the online store but I would like to convert those games to digital now. Physical is a pain and not feasible to go physical with all of the patches, dlc, cart + download, and digital only titles.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
I can get them for near that price at Best Buy but I kinda want to go digital with Mario Maker and I planned to get Fire Emblem as well so I'm down.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Weird how the deal only runs to July 31st. It'd be a tidy way to maintain current NSO subscribers and push people to go digital.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any language on what happens if you don't redeem the voucher for the second game within one year? I'm not seeing any.
Surely you don't lose the extra $40 you paid initially completely? It would just go to eshop credit? Otherwise, that runs afoul of gift card laws and gets into class action territory.

Do gift cards and cash vouchers have no expiration date in your country?
This is no different from cash vouchers that expire after a certain duration and has been the case for most physical shops.
Not that I I wouldn't mind vouchers that have no expiry date but I think a 1 or 2 year time frame is fair.

For example, Uniqlo here sells gift cards that expire in 6 months. It's quite ridiculous.

Oct 26, 2017
The funniest thing about this thread are all the hot takes about Nintendo not doing sales on their games (despite them regularly doing so)

This is a neat way to save a few bucks on new releases. I mean tying it to NSO is BS but understandable. If you want better savings, wait for a sale.
In Europe you can save between 20 and 40 bucks ( if a 69.99 game is part of the offer)