• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Do gift cards and cash vouchers have no expiration date in your country?
This is no different from cash vouchers that expire after a certain duration and has been the case for most physical shops.
Not that I I wouldn't mind vouchers that have no expiry date but I think a 1 or 2 year time frame is fair.

For example, Uniqlo here sells gift cards that expire in 6 months. It's quite ridiculous.
At least in Austria Cash vouchers have a loong expiration date. Except if they are tied to a timed offer. But general cash vouchers are valid for multiple years. (Recently used a voucher for a restaurant that was over 3 years old)

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome for Japan at least. Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Mario Maker and one more are mine. Guess I'm spending 20,000 yen!

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Do gift cards and cash vouchers have no expiration date in your country?
This is no different from cash vouchers that expire after a certain duration and has been the case for most physical shops.
Not that I I wouldn't mind vouchers that have no expiry date but I think a 1 or 2 year time frame is fair.

For example, Uniqlo here sells gift cards that expire in 6 months. It's quite ridiculous.

I think for gift cards in the US there's a 5-year minimum, but I'm not sure of all the details.

For this, if you just lose the $40 if you don't redeem the second one in time, it's pretty sketchy, even if you have a year. The difference from something like bonus gold coins expiring (i.e. promo credit) is that you pay $100 upfront. Worst case they should just credit that $40 you spent back in eshop credit. You don't lose what you paid, you just lose the $20 discount.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It's $10 away from being a Buy 1 get one half off deal. Not too bad but like as you indicated, it could have been better.
It's sort of $5 away actually, given that you also get 500 gold points when buying the vouchers (though these are for future purchases). And if you manage to get two $50 eshop cards in one of these $45 deals, then it's even better than those buy 1 get 1 half deals.

For me, it will be FE Three Houses + either Luigi or Animal Crossing, I'll just wait for these to be 100% confirmed as eligible for the vouchers (I'm 99% certain they will be, FE already is). These are day 1 for me anyway, and there is no way I was going to get even close to this discount in the first months, especially digitally.

Last edited:

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Nintendo: here's a completely optional way of getting a pretty cool discount on new full priced digital content

the Internet: *angery react*

This shit never fails to surprise me

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This goes away July 31st!?

Depending on what gets announced I might farm up on them, despite expiry date and all.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought one, definitely getting Fire Emblem with it and probably Astral Chain also. Post-E3 I might get some more depending on release schedule for the rest of the year and what is eligible.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to get Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Astral Chain. This is a good deal for me personally.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Definitely using this for SMM2 and Fire Emblem. 2 full-price preorders for $100 is a great deal, especially when I have NSO for a whole year free anyway through Twitch Prime.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Wanted to get Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Astral Chain. This is a good deal for me personally.
I'm quite certain all Nintendo published games coming in the future will be eligible for this (or at the very least all first party ones), so this is a great deal at the very least for anyone in the US and Japan that buys Day 1 (or in the first months), as long as they want or don't mind digital.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With my GCU expiring in July, this seems like a great deal to preorder Pokemon Sword & Shield and or other games releasing this Fall.

I just don't think it's a good value for older game's as you can find a lot of these game's discounted for $40 or a little bit less on occasion.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Seems like a cool idea. Might pick one up since I'll be getting MM2 digital as my GCU expires next week...forever :(

Debating on a couple games for the 2nd one
-NSMBUDelux
-Octopath Traveler
-Mario Kart 8
-Astial Chain.

Maybe I'll wait till E3 to see what exactly happens with release dates and that.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I just bought the vouchers. I figure Nintendo has enough first party games I'm interested in this year to make this deal worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
I might just buy it later for Ultimate Alliance 3, all things considered. Whatever they got for E3 might be something that gets applied here too.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'll wait at least until it's closer to Mario Maker 2's release date. If anything so that they hopefully add more stuff by then since it'll be after E3.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
This. It really should be an ongoing benefit, especially given how non-trivial it is to implement. I wonder if the "limited time deal" is just a trial run to gauge interest.
They would probably like to assess value of benefits (people that keep their online subscription + people who get a subscription in order to get the vouchers + possible rise in digital purchases of Nintendo published games) vs the "loss" in potential profits, before they commit.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
The explanation in the UK sounded like poorer value to me. They used SSBU which is £60 on the eShop along with SMM2 to show that you'd save £25ish but you're better off just buying those two games physically for £40 each which isn't difficult and you save even more money.

I suppose for digital only people it's a lot better than nothing obviously but I'm gonna stick with my £40 SMM2 preorder I think.
I'm going to take advantage of the offer. Switch is the only console where I go digital when I can. This means it's only £4 more expensive for digital over the £40 physical games - so I'm definitely doing it

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
OOOP i found it

• To receive promotional value, at least one Voucher must be redeemed for a game priced at $59.99 or above at time of redemption. The Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers may not be combined with any other sale, discount, or promotional offer unless otherwise specified.
49IldKI.png

one game must be 60 bucks to get this actual promotion

Ah man :( this changes it for me

Oct 25, 2017
OOOP i found it

• To receive promotional value, at least one Voucher must be redeemed for a game priced at $59.99 or above at time of redemption. The Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers may not be combined with any other sale, discount, or promotional offer unless otherwise specified.
49IldKI.png

one game must be 60 bucks to get this actual promotion
Oh this answers my unasked question "Would you save nothing if you chose two 49.99 games?"

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It is for Day 1 digital Nintendo published.

Which just highlights that Nintendo's UK digital pricing is bullshit.

£42 just barely brings the most expensive titles like smash ultimate in line with what you can get them for at retail, it's not really an offer at all if you're actually willing to look for a decent price.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Hmm. So for someone who doesn't have NSO, one can get SMM2 and a NSO sub for $70 and then the two game voucher for another $100.

$170 for three first party titles and a 12 month NSO sub? Very, very tempting…

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually usually get digital games already for about 50 euro, from a 3rd party store that sells codes. Alternatively I buy them from a a cheaper region.

But still, because I want to preorder SMM2 for the stylus, this works for me.