• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Bumped an existing thread with this news, but a new thread is probably the better way to share it.

As many speculated last week, Nintendo content was planned to be included in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games opening ceremony, but the company stepped away from the event within the last month before it was held.

bunshun.jp

台本11冊を入手 五輪開会式“崩壊” 全内幕 計1199ページにすべての変遷が | 週刊文春 電子版

演出責任者の相次ぐ交代など迷走を重ねた五輪開会式。今回入手した11冊にも及ぶ台本には、その過程が詳らかに記されていた。なぜ、どのようにして、開会式は“崩壊”していったのか。小誌だけが書ける全内幕―…

The article above discusses many changes made to the opening ceremony before the final performance, which includes the removal of Nintendo music from the athlete parade. Their absence was noticed by many, as while other Japanese video game developers like Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Capcom, Sega and Konami contributed music to the event, Nintendo was entirely absent. As recently as June 16th 'Main Theme' from The Legend of Zelda, 'Super Mario Suite', 'Kirby Super Star Medley' and 'Opening' from Pokemon were part of the ceremony, with the article stating that they were removed "just before the show". Nintendo declined to comment, saying "we are not in a position to answer".

img_012af9ff35b5b53f0ad149ad2fdf4055165763.jpg

Another cut segment of the opening ceremony that was being pitched in October last year would've featured Naomi Watanabe and Lady Gaga appearing from a warp pipe, wearing a Mario hat; replicating Shinzo Abe's appearance during the Rio 2016 closing ceremony, with what was supposed to be a comedic twist.

img_1bca379e34125cd7387c1e178851cbe8207669.jpg

Considering around 80% of surveyed Japanese people were against the Olympics being held, the reason why companies like Nintendo would decide to bail and not be associated with the event isn't much of a mystery.

Last edited:

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think it was a good decision.
Currently we are still in a pandemic and vaccination in Japan isn't really good right now.
Also cases exploded over there.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I would die to see Gaga emerging from the Warp pipe, and Watanabe performing with her? Amazing.

Then again good on Nintendo. Feel bad for the Olympians but overall these olympics have been nothing but a shit show.

oracion

Jan 7, 2018
Tokyo
There was also a surprise scene in which Lady Gaga, wearing a red hat, entered Mario's warp pipe and was replaced by Naomi Watanabe wearing the same outfit. However, perhaps it was just Sasaki's idea, and the Lady Gaga part was marked with a note saying, "If". On the other hand, the introduction of the game, which was supervised by Nintendo, was changed to a "comedy performance" by the pictogram team at that time.
The MIKIKO team was supervised by Nintendo, and Mr. Miyamoto, the president of the company, came to Tokyo every week from Kyoto, where the company's headquarters was located, to hold many meetings. However, after Mr. Sasaki took control of the game, he easily changed the introduction to pictograms. Nintendo must have had mixed feelings about this. In the end, all of Nintendo's music was removed just before the show.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Personally I think it was a good decision.
Currently we are still in a pandemic and vaccination in Japan isn't really good right now.
Also cases exploded over there.
Not sure how Nintendo being part of the ceremony would impact cases one way or another, but at least we now know that they did back out.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a weird one for me. Obviously might be different in Japan but at least in the rest of the world I haven't seen any negative reactions to those games/publishers/composers that were featured.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how Nintendo being part of the ceremony would impact cases one way or another, but at least we now know that they did back out.
Because they didn't support this event in those times.
Wish same happened with EuroCup with more companies getting out of it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a weird one for me. Obviously might be different in Japan but at least in the rest of the world I haven't seen any negative reactions to those games/publishers/composers that were featured.
Nintendo cares about their perception in their home country a lot.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
A smart move to pull out. It is deeply unpopular and Nintendo is the o my console manufacturer these days with a dominant position in Japan, so they had more to lose than to gain.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Good on Nintendo to pull out of that shitshow.

And I can't stop laughing at that first pic with Gaga crouching on the pipe.

Mar 18, 2020
No surprise there, public opinion around having the Olympics at all and the bigotry and corruption of JOC has been bad for months.

The final nails were probably the composer that made his classmate eat feces and the Holocaust joke comedian

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Erm....a lot of Japanese people are against the Olympics being held. Japan is in a state of emergency, cases are rising etc.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

The dragon quest composer denies Japanese war crimes in China.
As well as how Japan forced Korean women into prostitution during their occupation.

Of course Square Enix keeps paying him, his music is in the Olympic ceremony and there's no backlash.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Good call by Nintendo. It's a shame we will never see the colab that was hinted in 2016, but that's on the Olympic committee for being irresponsible and not waiting to hold the even in a safer context.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This makes perfect sense, and I can't fault Nintendo in any way for deciding to bow out here, but it's still a shame nonetheless.

The opening ceremony could have been one for the ages but, despite their best efforts, it was very much hampered by the greedy, stupid decisions of a select few at the top. I'd love to go to the universe where COVID never happened and we got to see what they had originally planned but, alas, this pandemic has ruined so much :(

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Seems like a fairly respectful decision considering the Japanese public was opposed to continuing with the games.

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent decision from Nintendo part. This Olympic Games shouldn't even be happening, but as always profits come first.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's the right decision as a business or not, but I personally feel like it's the right move. The committee for these Olympics was a disaster.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it's the right decision as a business or not, but I personally feel like it's the right move. The committee for these Olympics was a disaster.

Ultimately, if they thought dropping out of the Olympics would've been a worse business decision than supporting it further, they wouldn't have dropped out.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
A pretty good call. The Olympics Committee was in a lot of heat with their bigotry and the Olympics shouldn't have happened when the pandemic is still ongoing.

oneroom

Dec 26, 2020
This Olympics is a symbolic event for power and money. It's ugly.
Maybe it's a good thing that Nintendo is no longer involved as a result.
Too bad they had to waste Miyamoto valuable time on such an errand.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They backed out of olympics everything not just the opening ceremony. The game gets zero promo.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As well as how Japan forced Korean women into prostitution during their occupation.

Of course Square Enix keeps paying him, his music is in the Olympic ceremony and there's no backlash.

He actually has square by the balls here

And if someone wanted the DQ music they could just pay him since he owns the rights to it.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this is a good call from Nintendo.

I'm also in the opinion it should be cancelled.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I get not having the visual elements but I think they could have left the music.
I can't imagine the companies that had their music used suffered a backlash, anybody know if I'm wrong about that?

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The real tragedy is that MIKIKO had planned for Perfume to open the ceremony.. firing MIKIKO will haunt Japan forever. Shame on DENTSU

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
The real tragedy is that MIKIKO had planned for Perfume to open the ceremony.. firing MIKIKO will haunt Japan forever. Shame on DENTSU
I haven't read too closely but I understand that the MIKIKO plan was crazy, cutting edge, and interesting. Is that right? But also, a bunch of fossils on the Dentsu executive board intervening to make something underwhelming while benefiting a corrupt business partner is par for the course here...

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't read too closely but I understand that the MIKIKO plan was crazy, cutting edge, and interesting. Is that right? But also, a bunch of fossils on the Dentsu executive board intervening to make something underwhelming while benefiting a corrupt business partner is par for the course here...

A bit here also:

aramajapan.com

Plans for the Original Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony Leak | ARAMA! JAPAN

As reported late last year, the Tokyo 2020 Olympics & Paralympics ceremonies committee was disbanded, and their work, which was 80% done as of February 2020, was scrapped. People wondered what the…

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You will never hear backlash from Japan in regards to that cunt Sugiyama. Dude has a lot of leverage over SE and unfortunately at this point the only thing to do regarding him is waiting for his old ass to die.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
He actually has square by the balls here

And if someone wanted the DQ music they could just pay him since he owns the rights to it.
What I don't understand is can't Square just drop him and have another composer make a whole new soundtrack for dragon Quest games going forward?

Or would they rather keep paying him and be stuck with such a controversial figure.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Wish the people in Japan cared a little less about the Olympics and a little more about getting a vaccine. It took my brother a long time to convince his Japanese wife. Her family however isn't that eager to get a vaccine either

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't understand is can't Square just drop him and have another composer make a whole new soundtrack for dragon Quest games going forward?

Or would they rather keep paying him and be stuck with such a controversial figure.
DQ Music and Sugiyama are highly regarded in Japan. DQ dropping him would be a very controversial move. I also think it's not up to them, as him, Akira Toriyama and Horii probably have the IP ownership alongside Square.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Dragon Quest is a series that thrives on nostalgia and it is the National RPG for Japan. It would be like killing off 1/3 of the DQ spirit. It's probably not up to Square and decided by Horii. Japan also doesn't seem to have a problem with Sugiyama thus far so there's no internal force driving that change and Japan reminds to be DQ's biggest market. Getting rid of him means that they can't use the music for all their games, including ongoing ones like DQX and the many gatcha games they run. It means remakes, ports and spinoffs also lose their music.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

While Sugiyama is a terrible person with terrible ideas and uses some of his earnings on supporting groups with those terrible ideas, your average person does not see Sugiyama in that way. It's not that they agree or disagree with his ideas, most are simply are unaware he holds those views, instead when they see him they think about him being a great composer and enjoying his work.

His music is incredibly iconic, and while I know many here on Era hate his compositions, they are well used and instantly recognizable in Japan.
Sugiyama also owns all the jingles in DQ: save, resurrection, heal, climb stairs, etc. all of those are instantly recognizable too. Like it or not, his work is part of DQ, his ideas fortunately are completely separate and have no influence on the series at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Wish the people in Japan cared a little less about the Olympics and a little more about getting a vaccine. It took my brother a long time to convince his Japanese wife. Her family however isn't that eager to get a vaccine either
The japanese people don't care about the Olympics at all. There a 80% rejection of the olympics there and protests were happening outside the opening ceremony. Japan governament is to blame for the vaccines fuck-up. In the olympics ceremony games music thread someone shared data showing that japanese people want to vaccinate themselves, but there's a lack of vaccination available.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't blame them for that decision, but their presence was certainly missed. It's a real shame that things had to play out like this for Tokyo. Like others have mentioned before, this could've been one for the ages. Now it'll probably be a long time for them to get the opportunity to host again.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
While Sugiyama is a terrible person with terrible ideas and uses some of his earnings on supporting groups with those terrible ideas, your average person does not see Sugiyama in that way. It's not that they agree or disagree with his ideas, most are simply are unaware he holds those views, instead when they see him they think about him being a great composer and enjoying his work.

His music is incredibly iconic, and while I know many here on Era hate his compositions, they are well used and instantly recognizable in Japan.
Sugiyama also owns all the jingles in DQ: save, resurrection, heal, climb stairs, etc. all of those are instantly recognizable too. Like it or not, his work is part of DQ, his ideas fortunately are completely separate and have no influence on the series at all.

Yup. Not to mention that his influence on music in Japan as well, since he started working in the industry a long time ago. DQ is like a small part of his career. A lot of composers view him as an inspiration.

I don't think they will get rid of him until he dies. I can only hope his estate doesn't continue to donate to those hateful causes.