• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because such artwork it's on a ownership limbo of sorts, Nintendo owns the character, nintendo owns the original sprites, but Nintendo did not create the fan sprite, so despite their ownership of the IP, they cannot claim ownership of the sprite, Nintendo could potentially sue the fanartist over the creation of the sprite (but maybe would require the fanartist or DA to profit from it), but Nintendo does NOT have the rights of usage over the sprite.
You may want to provide some legal authority to back up your claim.

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Again, legally speaking, they're in the same ground, as stupid as it sounds, those pixels still are a legal liability.

Just out of curiosity, legally doesn't there have to be some "effect" for it to be pursued? Nintendo used these pixels in order to turn a profit, for example... which can for sure be argued against since no one would see them unless it was ripped? Or am I completely off-base? I know that's how it works for music and mashup artists.

Also... how did we find this?

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Buying a time machine, cancelling my preorder and Emailing Sakurai to warn him about one of his employee's henious attempts to destroy Smash Bros as we know it.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, legally speaking, they're in the same ground, as stupid as it sounds, those pixels still are a legal liability.

Yup, this is the real reason why it's not a big deal, but im amazed about all the people being obtuse about the legal repercussions and how this sort of things are very serious business on the side of the devs/company.
You're equating animation taken from a game from another company with a sprite that's been ripped from Nintendo IP and placed back into Nintendo IP? Am I reading this correctly?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
You may want to provide some legal authority to back up your claim.

I don't need to, there are precedents to this, like the All stars transformed issue i already mentioned:

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/03/10/video-artwork-of-sonic-undergrounds-sonia-spotted-in-asr/

Article doesn't mention, but the asset has been removed.

Just out of curiosity, legally doesn't there have to be some "effect" for it to be pursued? Nintendo used these pixels in order to turn a profit, for example... which can for sure be argued against since no one would see them unless it was ripped? Or am I completely off-base? I know that's how it works for music and mashup artists.

Also... how did we find this?

You're equating animation taken from a game from another company with a sprite that's been ripped from Nintendo IP and placed back into Nintendo IP? Am I reading this correctly?

I believe the logic is people can potentially sue over it being unpaid work.

So the amount of artwork making it to the final game, even by accident, is irrelevant.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
The thirst for controversy is real, I'll pour one for ya

Sprite-musti-kebab.jpg
You needed to post a Sprite Cranberry for ironic points.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I'm not defending the practice or something but I can assure you that looking for original sprites from old games might require A LOT of time. It would be a long process to look for original contents of a game developed internally---here we are talking about Bandai Namco looking for a sprite of a game developed by a company that doesn't exist anymore (Brownie Brown) along with a Nintendo second-party. Archiving has become better and better over time but just try to ask your company to look for a file of a 12 year old project developed by a subsidiary of your partner company---and repeat this for many other file you probably need.
I thought Brownie Brown became 1UP Studios, though I don't know is they'd still have that archive.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't need to, there are precedents to this, like the All stars transformed issue i already mentioned:

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/03/10/video-artwork-of-sonic-undergrounds-sonia-spotted-in-asr/

Article doesn't mention, but the asset has been removed.

I believe the logic is people can potentially sue over it being unpaid work.

So the amount of artwork making it to the final game, even by accident, is irrelevant.
You're now equating an IP issue with a labor/employment issue... a labor issue which doesn't exist by the way.

If you're not a lawyer and aren't well versed in IP topics, then stop spreading misinformation.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Lol couldn't you make the argument that the artists "creation" doesn't even belong to him or her?
It's pretty much an 80% copy of the Nintendo produced Sprite with a few changes and little artistic contribution

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Now sure how the fuck one can come up with the word "really lazy" when describing the ridiculously VAST amount of content in this game. I mean, there are literally THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of graphics and sprites in this game from hundreds of games (and not all Nintendo games) spanning decades. Is it unfathomable that the developers did not have the original sources of all these assets on hand? And somehow this makes them "really lazy"? Some of you are really impressive at throwing around these kinds of words baselessly towards a dev team that no doubt worked their asses off for years, while posting on a forum.

Yes, I'd expect a large professional company like Nintendo to have these simple image assets from their own games on hand instead of drawing from sources online. Nothing too unfathomable about that.

Not sure why you're singling me out specifically, but okay...

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Yes, I'd expect a large professional company like Nintendo to have these simple image assets from their own games on hand instead of drawing from sources online. Nothing too unfathomable about that.

The ones they develop internally, I'd understand, but Every game they publish?
They aren't that monolithic. Even the dev of Smash aren't internal (Bandai Namco + Sora).

Oct 25, 2017
Its a lot more likely someone at Bandai Namco in charge of a specific series of sprites wanted to save time in not corresponding with Nintendo to get assets from their archive and just looked for a spread sheet of sprites they would think came straight from the game. Such correspondence between companies could take a much longer time to get through than looking it up on the internet in the case of using a sprite.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who spent years doing archival work, it is not unfathomable that you'd still need to resort to checking for something online even with a meticulous archive of materials.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you expect too much. not all the thousand spirits are from games or series made internally by nintendo. getting all the assets directly from the source would have been an exhausting and long process, and nothing would have changed.

lmao

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
It's not just about the invisible sprites hidden under the alpha channel. There's also the extra sprite on the right side of his helmet that as far as I know is only on the Deviantartist's picture of the sprite (and Smash Ultimate).

(Deviantart/Smash Ultimate)
d5pulsp-1914f048-6123-4a53-9d32-bf5cded8c5d9.png

(In game, Mother 3)
4DnFlll.png

Someone would have to rip the sprite from Mother 3 to double check.

You do mean an extra "pixel". The sprite is the whole image. :D
Here's a better comparison (posted by the same RandomTalkingBush )
Du-OLx-Ka-W4-AENb-MJ.jpg

• Left: Smash "Spirit" without transparency.
  • Middle: Mother 3 translated ROM in-game-screenshot.
  • Right: Devianart spritesheet with from left-to-right in-game overworld sprite, custom overworld sprite and in-game battle sprite (with mistake areas circled).
Note that the "Spirit" also has a 4*4 non-pixel aligned slight decoloration in the pink area of the gun that is NOT present either in the original nor the Devianart sprite. It might be a mistake with a lighter brush added either by Bandai Namco or RandomTalkingBrush (waiting their confirmation).

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
you expect too much. not all the thousand spirits are from games or series made internally by nintendo. getting all the assets directly from the source would have been an exhausting and long process, and nothing would have changed.
Not only that, but the scenario of the employee just easily "accessing the archives" assumes that the person who did this was a Nintendo employee with archival access (since not every employee would have that, much less a contract/Namco Bandai/Sora/etc employee), time to actually go to the archives (since that stuff would not be readily accessible from anywhere), that the materials for Mother 3 were processed, cataloged, and made available (as it is not uncommon at all for stuff to wait years to be processed for an archive), that the sprite in question was actually present in the collection (stuff gets lost very easily before, during, and after processing, even with digital materials), and that it was saved in a format usable by the team (again, not uncommon).

Archives are awesome! They are not a 100% solution to finding something that you need.

Nov 23, 2017
For people saying why didn't they rip it themselves again, it's possible they have no ability at all to work with a gba dev kit or rom with their current tools, plus they must access it in a way allowable by itois publishing company. Sometimes things like that need really esoteric things like running on windows 98 or some shit.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
For people saying why didn't they rip it themselves again, it's possible they have no ability at all to work with a gba dev kit or rom with their current tools, plus they must access it in a way allowable by itois publishing company. Sometimes things like that need really esoteric things like running on windows 98 or some shit.
Yeah, that's another issue you run into.

The archive I worked at actually had a lot of old media from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, some of which might actually be technically "lost" in terms of being accessible publicly, but we had to be extremely careful with letting them be viewed and even moreso with digitizing them, because the machines to actually play them (namely u-matic players) ran the risk of destroying the media or themselves in the process. And it's not like people are really making stuff that plays u-matic much anymore.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
You have provided no legal precedents. Your statements are conclusory.

I already linked to a case where this happened, here's another one:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/news...ft-drops-pubg-ad-fan-art-rip-off-controversy/

If you really think these things aren't removed for legal reasons you're being intentionally obtuse, "oh but you don't have legal expertise to back you up", well nobody has show legal expertise to refute my claims either anyways and examples of previous cases of fanart thievery and accidental misuse speak for themselves.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

https://www.greenmangaming.com/news...ft-drops-pubg-ad-fan-art-rip-off-controversy/

If you really think these things aren't removed for legal reasons you're being intentionally obtuse, "oh but you don't have legal expertise to back you up", well nobody has show legal expertise to refute my claims either anyways and examples of previous cases of fanart thievery and accidental misuse speak for themselves.

bold of you to assume the bolded

maybe if i get some spare time i'll go do some research. certainly using fan stuff in official stuff without credit can be a problem (there was a Metal Gear Rising ad I remember that literally stole a fan's render) but this is a bit more complicated

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

They do have them on hand. But it'd take a ton of unnecessary time to dig through their huge database of assets when they can accomplish the same exact result with a google search much faster.

It is funny they didn't crop it properly, though.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The plagiarism example you cited in your link is not what is being discussed here. It's a rip of an in game asset that has had a pixel altered.

The two situations are not the same. There's nothing to suggest that the altered pixel makes it a new protectable and copyrightable work. To have a valid copyright, you must show:

(1) originality in the author; (2) copyrightability of the subject matter; (3) a national point of attachment of the work, such as to permit a claim of copyright; (4) compliance with applicable statutory formalities... etc.

The originality of the author (the first element) is totally lacking here. There are probative similarities between Nintendo's original work and the ripped sprite with a pixel altered to ever allow it to rise to the standard of demonstrating "originality of the author."

If the person who ripped the sprite cannot claim any copyright infringment due their lack of originality then Nintendo is not in any dubious grounds by copying the ripped sprite which remains their intellectual property.

The link you provided, in contrast, is about copying something that is demonstrably original from the original author. That author did more than simply alter a pixel - they merged disparate concepts to form a brand new wholly original image.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
The plagiarism example you cited in your link is not what is being discussed here. It's a rip of an in game asset that has had a pixel altered.

The two situations are not the same. There's nothing to suggest that the altered pixel makes it a new protectable and copyrightable work. To have a valid copyright, you must show:

(1) originality in the author; (2) copyrightability of the subject matter; (3) a national point of attachment of the work, such as to permit a claim of copyright; (4) compliance with applicable statutory formalities... etc.

There are probative similarities between Nintendo's original work and the ripped sprite with a pixel altered to ever allow it to rise to the standard of demonstrating "originality of the author."

If the person who ripped the sprite cannot claim any copyright infringment due their lack of originality then Nintendo is not in any dubious grounds by copying the ripped sprite which remains their intellectual property.

The link you provided, in contrast, is about copying something that is demonstrably original from the original author. That author did more than simply alter a pixel - they merged disparate concepts to form a brand new wholly original image.

What is being on dispute is not just the alterations to the original sprite, which nintendo fully owns, but also the partial croped pixels that are part of the custom sprite the fanartist did, yes i know it sounds silly because it's just a couple of pixels that accidentally got in, but the custom sprite the fanartist did does fall into the standards of "originality of the author" for the fanartist.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
And they used my signature % for their gameplay mechanic! Where's my compensation, Nintendrones?

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is being on dispute is not just the alterations to the original sprite, which nintendo fully owns, but also the partial croped pixels that are part of the custom sprite the fanartist did, yes i know it sounds silly because it's just a couple of pixels that accidentally got in, but the custom sprite the fanartist did does fall into the standards of "originality of the author".
Dude, you're very much outmatched in this argument. Let it go.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
For what it's worth, this is most certainly not the only only Spirit artwork in the game that was ripped from the internet, just the only one with a few leftover pixels to prove it.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The most shocking part of all of this is that we have tweets in here that unironically say "Oh my god" and "Amazing" in regards to it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of funny. I wonder how many they got off google images/deviantart.
for anything that involves classics, probably a whole lot throughout the industry. rummaging through decades of assets that may not even be in usable form (if it even still exists) is just not a good use of time