• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Deviantart image:

d5pulsp-1914f048-6123-4a53-9d32-bf5cded8c5d9.png

So in this Deviantart image there are three sprites. The left and right ones are sprites created by Nintendo but the middle one is a fanart. However, it was discovered that the spirit sprite was based on this image, lazily cropped and they hid the a section of the fan sprite with the alpha channel (made the pixels transparent).

Very interesting...

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I'm pretty sure they messed up by mistake, will probably update if they take notice.

Nevermind, misread, OP messed up lol. Nothing to see here, other than desperate attempt to create controversy.

Last edited:

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I'm confused... How don't his matter at all if the final sprite is from Nintendo

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the sprite on the right was their's to begin with, and it kinda makes sense they wouldn't have the original sources on hand for every single image used. It's a bit awkward but I wouldn't say it's some shocking revelation

I imagine pretty much every Spirit from games that were released more than 10 years ago were pulled from fan wikis and Google Image search. It's just convenient and it's Nintendo's copyrighted material in the first place.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...I don't get the issue. The spirit in game is still the one they own, right ?

That's one hell of a misleading title.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already with im sure it was a mistake or they dont have the files.

Its hilarious they couldn't crop properly

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like an IGN Okami type goof. I wonder how well preserved some game assets truly are.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
This isnt as much of an issue as say sega using sonic underground deviantart drawings in the wii version of sega all stars racing as placeholder art.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Misleading title tbh, I thought they were using a sprite someone else made from scratch. Getting the original sprite from the internet doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title: Nintendo/Banco used someone else's sprites...

OP: Sprite used is actually from Nintendo and not the fan made one.

So technically they're using the sprite that belongs to them that the fan used...

Edit: and now the thread title changed that it isn't as scandalous.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The one you can see in game is Nintendo's and the tiny bit that isn't theirs isn't visible in game.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Who needs an official in-house archive when you can just rely on the Internet to provide assets for your multi-million selling game, amirite? Reminds me of this: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...o-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

Sure, in both cases Nintendo owns the source material, but it just comes off as really lazy.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Fifstar

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like an IGN Okami type goof. I wonder how well preserved some game assets truly are.

Maybe it's not a question of preservation and more due to google image search being much easier to use than an internal search for assets of an old game, especially if the person in charge didnt work on those old games.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's more like they used an unofficial source more than "someone else's sprite", since the not created by nintendo one is the one in the middle, or at least that's what i understood from the whole thing.

not really that big of an issue..just a dev getting e little lazy and cropping it from the internet instead of taking it from the source.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them patching this because it's hidden with the alpha channel already. Yeah they could've ripped the Sprite themselves but I'm not surprised they didn't.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
even if they've lost the assets, they couldn't at least emulate the game and crop the sprite themselves?

Oct 27, 2017
The one you can see in game is Nintendo's and the tiny bit that isn't theirs isn't visible in game.

Everyone who keeps saying "Well it's Nintendo's to begin with!" are missing the point. Instead of having their own sprite made, they went into someone's Deviantart gallery, found the sprite they wanted with the fanmade sprite next to it and cut the fanmade sprite out to put in Smash. It doesn't matter if it's theirs. They still have someone's art in the game that they covered up to use their own.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the new title is much better, the previous one made it seem like nintendo straight up stole someone's work.

In before "Well other studios do it too!"
Everyone who keeps saying "Well it's Nintendo's to begin with!" are missing the point. Instead of having their own sprite made, they went into someone's Deviantart gallery, found the sprite they wanted with the fanmade sprite next to it and cut the fanmade sprite out to put in Smash. It doesn't matter if it's theirs. They still have someone's art in the game that they covered up to use their own.
try harder sis

that's all there is to this, basically. and even that i'm sure they'll fix to not be there at all, visible or invisible.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018

inorite, the fact that a few pixels of that sprites helmet is in the image even though it's covered up is an outrage

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

So the point is that it's not a big deal. They're using what's theirs, they own it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Sorry that the controversy here didn't shake out the way you were hoping. Don't worry, I'm sure Nintendo will fuck up for real some time soon.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Looks like the original sprite wasn't the only thing that used alpha channels.

Oct 27, 2017
inorite, the fact that a few pixels of that sprites helmet is in the image even though it's covered up is an outrage

The fact that you've already posted several times in here shouting people down tells me all I need to now about you arguing in good faith. Ignored.

So the point is that it's not a big deal. They're using what's theirs, they own it.

I feel like people are being willfully obtuse. They still have the fanmade sprite in the game that was just covered up. No one is saying Nintendo needs to prostrate themselves to the world, but either acknowledgement or a fix needs to be made.

Ikouros

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Or they just Google image searched the sprite, grabbed the first lossless result and cropped/alpha masked the image for a quick 1 minute job to feature content that is 100% their intellectual property.
And if by 'someone's art' you mean a whole 37 pixels you can't even see in game, then yeah.
Honestly where's the reason for outrage? This is mildly lazy at best.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So? The sprite actually used is their own and unless you start digging, no one would ever figure out. Also, is there a rip of the mural from Single Player?

Killyoh

Oct 28, 2017
Paris, France
Who needs an official in-house archive when you can just rely on the Internet to provide assets for your multi-million selling game, amirite? Reminds me of this: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...o-download-a-mario-rom-and-sell-it-back-to-us

Sure, in both cases Nintendo owns the source material, but it just comes off as really lazy.
The game is packed with hundreds and hundreds of high-resolution artworks, some very hard to find, I wouldn't call it "lazy", it's hard to retrieve all assets from tons of projects made by different studios, maybe they lost a lot of Mother 3's. That would explain why we still have no ports of the game :(

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry that the controversy here didn't shake out the way you were hoping. Don't worry, I'm sure Nintendo will fuck up for real some time soon.
I genuinely have to wonder how many months he has left on this site. ERA has been much better at weeding out trolls than GAF. Dude's agenda is transparent as fuck.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Didn't this someone steal "their" art from Nintendo? It seems to me that it isn't someone's art, but Nintendo's art. I wonder if it's even legal that someone put this art into their Deviant Art gallery.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a non-issue but quite the bizarre way to cut corners. I mean, why search your own resources when Google exists amirite?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It has a small fraction of the fanmade sprite and, since it's not visible in the game at all, it's not used. There is no controversy here, the art is originally theirs.

Didn't this someone steal "their" art from Nintendo? It seems to me that it isn't someone's art, but Nintendo's art. I wonder if it's even legal that someone put this art into their Deviant Art gallery.
It isn't. Submissions that contain anything not made by the artist that isn't free use are at risk of being removed by the moderation team.