• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
On a roll and because a friend jokingly told me to make the thread because I already made an anti nintendo thread today,

The game isn't out in America yet, so yeah, I guess its now bannable?

Also hit a guy in japan :)

only a few days thankfully for the second guy, but still, do they normally do this pre worldwide release?

(I actually won't be checking this thread actively, just made it for the sake of discussion)

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Sounds about right for Nintendo. They don't understand streaming and probably never will. I assume that this 'restriction' will go away once the game is released worldwide though.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Everyone pointing at Nintendo, but this is a joint effort with KOEI TECMO? Not sure if Nintendo is at blame here.

Edit: Was pointed out Nintendo is name dropped. I stand corrected

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those changes in Animal Crossing and what they allow to be used for commercial stuff,
what they are doing to Smash Bros. tournaments today and how they are banning people
streaming games that are legally out...

Someone from Nintendo must have seen what the music industry is doing and decided: "We can do the same"

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. I feel like taking my barely used Twitch account and "stream" Age of Calamity by putting something else in the video, like Destiny 2, and saying I'm playing the game, just to see if that triggers the copyright takedown system.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Release the game at the same time worldwide instead of going after streamers then, what a backwards and idiotic thing to do if it's directly tied to the American release date.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
If you are a streamer, don't stream Nintendo games. If you're a youtube, don't make Nintendo videos.

Why do them the favor? Fuck them.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
They did this before with one of the 3DS Pokemon games, Werster (who lives in Australia) was streaming it from midnight his time and copped a ban thanks to Nintendo America assuming America=The World.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
This is the first time, to my knowledge, that Nintendo has ever done this. Streamers always play their games the moment it comes out in Australia. Just ridiculous really.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
If you are a streamer, don't stream Nintendo games. If you're a youtube, don't make Nintendo videos.

Why do them the favor? Fuck them.

The situation in the OP is shit no doubt, but your take is even worst. Nintendo allows streaming in general no problem, and many small and big names thrive with their games np.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Honestly I don't understand why streamers even bother playing Nintendo games on their channels... They are absolutely awful and there's no reason to give them the exposure while risking your livelihood.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
why would you even risk it when this image is literally the first thing that pops up when you turn on the game?????? /s

Dodonpachi_warning.png

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Koei Tecmo publishes all their crossovers in Japan still (HW/FEW).

Just for context since you're asking.
Yeah, I kind of suspected that Koei might publish the game in Japan, seems to be a common thing between some developers/publishers. Then it's a matter of who filed that claim, from that message above it ain't clear since it only mention's Nintendo IP (which TLoZ clearly is).

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they've done this before too. I know a certain Australian got banned for playing Pokémon USUM right when the games came out for them. No permanent damage done, but still bullshit.

You'd think Nintendo would've learnt by now.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Is the copyright takedown system set to say, "Oh hey, this game is being streamed from date and time X, which is right before we unlock the limitation. Ban them"?

Otherwise, I feel like if you're streaming the game on release day, you're going to risk getting banned because developers/publishers wanted to avoid their audiences from seeing spoilers.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Did this happen with any of the other releases they had this year?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's amazing how backwards Nintendo is. Actively fighting against their games being big on YouTube/twitch/esports not realising that it's all free advertising. There is a huge amount of potential for growth here for Nintendo but they're just too backwards thinking.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
They published the game in Japan & have some level of co-ownership over the game's contents.

That said, Nintendo was the one issuing the strikes here, so it's on Nintendo.

Publishing the game on Japan is useless when this is filed on an Australian streamer in an American site by Nintendo. We know already who did it, trying to blame KT is weird as fuck.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Yeah, they've done this before too. I know a certain Australian got banned for playing Pokémon USUM right when the games came out for them. No permanent damage done, but still bullshit.

You'd think Nintendo would've learnt by now.
Meh. The Pokemon Company is known for doing takedowns. I would use a Pokemon game as evidence unless it's a fact that Nintendo issued the takedown.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
First Melee and now this? I swear they see they have too much good will and decide to see if they can get away with something. Still wondering if we'll ever get good online on a Nintendo game.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its NOA issuing the DMCA isnt it? it would make sense in the aspect that it still hasn't come out in the US, but even then its pretty stupid to do it tbh

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch has a hard rule about streaming games before release and I doubt it's all Nintendo's doing. It's always been a very dumb rule of Twitch's.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a fuck up using an automated system from someone at NOA than some surprise change of policy.

Still dumb, but unintentionally dumb.