• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo be more severe with the "punishment" for hacking

• Just banning em from the hacked game is Ok

Votes: 306 24.2%
  • Ban em from any online service all together

Votes: 350 27.6%
  • No prisoners, Ban their console

Votes: 610 48.2%

• Total voters

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Reports been going around that Nintendo been banning people that hacked into the Octolings and used em online. via an email
image.png
one confirmed ban

Delete/ Lock if Old

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, how stupid are you to do something so easily detectable? Couldn't those people just wait until the expansion is out? Unless they never had the intention to actually buy it.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Good. Keep your hacked sh*t out of legit games. I remember how players would cause other people's game to crash with their hacked Octoling, in Splatoon (when their Octoling ended up in the plaza, after playing online with them). Not sure if the same is happening in Splatoon 2, but still good on Nintendo for cracking down on hackers like that.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
They're basically using hacking to get around paying for DLC, so this seems like a pretty obvious response from Nintendo.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Nintendo better be super strict with online cheaters, especially now with the pay wall.

Oohhh lordt. September is going to be fun.

Who will advance faster? Nintendo's online structure or the hacking scene? I'm not saying who I'm betting on.
claI4We.gif

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
I mean, how stupid are you to do something so easily detectable? Couldn't those people just wait until the expansion is out? Unless they never had the intention to actually buy it.

Well, that's just a fault on the hackers. This makes me think how many hackers will pirate the Octo Expansion content and not be detected while they use it online.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ban the console. They know that they're doing, and if their response is "lol I got banned" you know they didn't learn their lesson.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's just a fault on the hackers. This makes me think how many hackers will pirate the Octo Expansion content and not be detected while they use it online.

That isn't how DLC works. DLC is account associated (accounts are themselves associated with consoles on which they exist) pirating DLC and then taking it online is perhaps the single dumbest thing you could do.

This is like the most basic checksum you could do to check for an idiot taking pirated DLC online.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
They've apparently been banning for less than that too, like using hacking tools to give yourself more in-game items that let you edit your gear abilities. Nintendo actually keeps track of a whole lot of in-game stats that you'd never expect, so they would be able to check and see if anything out of the ordinary happens. I hope they continue to stay on top of this

Oct 27, 2017
For a company who takes protecting its products very seriously, Nintendo's consoles are always piss easy to hack for some reason. Still, it's good to see Nintendo finally start taking action with the Switch. Unlike the DS or Wii days, where they did nothing about cheaters online.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Just how much of an idiot can you be? I mean, you're basically screaming "ban me".

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ban their whole console from going online. Cost of re-entry shouldn't be a new profile it should be a whole new console.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why Nintendo would go after this and more power to em, why is everyone cheering this though? Why do we care if people have hacked in the ability to use a different model? How on earth would playing as an octoling count as 'cheating' in a way that should perturb other members of the playerbase?

EDIT: Seriously, the vitriol directed in this thread at something that impacted other players in no way whatsoever is weird, unless this is actually screwing with the game somehow.

Oct 27, 2017
The models were included in the base game because people who don't have the expansion need them to play against those who do, but it's probably pretty easy for Nintendo to tell if you don't actually have the expansion and are using octolings through hacks, so it probably won't be a big deal unless those people want to get banned as well

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am so relieved. I rarely click on these threads but I'm happy to see that most people are on the same page in terms of bans for hackers. Datamine and dig all you want, but don't take away from others' experiences.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I understand why Nintendo would go after this and more power to em, why is everyone cheering this though? Why do we care if people have hacked in the ability to use a different model? How on earth would playing as an octoling count as 'cheating' in a way that should perturb other members of the playerbase?
If paying for online is a requirement, Nintendo needs to take a zero tolerance approach to make sure that the playerbase's experience isn't ruined in any way. This case is super benign but its indicative of a looming problem with Switch being blown open the way it was.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Looking at that poll, Era is out for blood here. I can't say I disagree, though.

And seriously, playing as an Octoling in a public game before the DLC to play them legitimately is out? What would you expect is going to happen there?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: Seriously, the vitriol directed in this thread at something that impacted other players in no way whatsoever is weird, unless this is actually screwing with the game somehow.

Yeah I don't get it either. Banning hackers bringing their hacks online from the individual game makes sense of course, but people in this thread have some weird chip on their shoulder in regards to hackers.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If paying for online is a requirement, Nintendo needs to take a zero tolerance approach to make sure that the playerbase's experience isn't ruined in any way. This case is super benign but its indicative of a looming problem with Switch being blown open the way it was.
IT's the benignness of it though that makes this reaction weird. Yes, doing this makes sense. I understand Nintendo's reaction, I don't criticize it at all. But the delight people are showing in this thread at the punishment of other accounts seems weirdly toxic. I'm just surprised there's this much loathing for something so harmless.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017

If they hacked one thing, what's to stop them from hacking things that matter? I think when people see something is clearly amiss, they aren't going to go they only hacked the model and nothing else. I personally rather be safe than sorry, since you never know what can get screwed up in your game when interacting with things like this online.