• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Nintendo be more severe with the "punishment" for hacking

• Just banning em from the hacked game is Ok

Votes: 306 24.2%
  • Ban em from any online service all together

Votes: 350 27.6%
  • No prisoners, Ban their console

Votes: 610 48.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
For a company who takes protecting its products very seriously, Nintendo's consoles are always piss easy to hack for some reason
3DS took years to break into like 3 years
Wii only reason was cause it was almost 1:1 copy of Gamecube with exploits and everything, WiiU took over a year at best, even ripping the game from the CDs took months.
Switch software wise after 5.0.0 proved to be an stronghold, only reason Switch is currently vulnerable is a fault in Nvidia's Chip itself, but a new version of the chip without that flaw is likely to hit the market inside the Switch soon.

the only other reason is the usual Demand and Infinite Monkey Theory;

Demand: Everyone and their mother wants Nintendo to be hacked, whether be homebrew or piracy but they want it hacked. so this demand attracts hackers that want to bath in popularity, E-glory and some patreon bucks. Go to any forum dedicated to it, the amount of thread of discussion about hacking PS or XB pales next to those about hacking 3DS/ Switch

this influx of hackers creates and infinitey monkey theorem scenario, as the hacking is not the job of 1 wonder hacker but the result of the collectiveness of all em working together 1 exploit at the time step by step till they find a successful entry point.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they hacked one thing, what's to stop them from hacking things that matter? I think when people see something is clearly amiss, they aren't going to go they only hacked the model and nothing else. I personally rather be safe than sorry, since you never know what can get screwed up in your game when interacting with things like this online.
I don't buy the slippery slopeness of it. Making your character able to be an octoling seems to be in largely the same spirit as the mod community on PC, which is usually similarly benign and harmless. This isn't about cheaters, though. This isn't about banning people who hacked their game to gain a competitive advantage and/or disrupt others' play experience.

I'm just surprised at the venom.

Oct 25, 2017
IT's the benignness of it though that makes this reaction weird. Yes, doing this makes sense. I understand Nintendo's reaction, I don't criticize it at all. But the delight people are showing in this thread at the punishment of other accounts seems weirdly toxic. I'm just surprised there's this much loathing for something so harmless.

This isn't about banning people who hacked their game to gain a competitive advantage and/or disrupt others' play experience.

Splatoon 2 hacking also includes altering weapon stats for broken advantage. There was a whole thing about it a week or two ago.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I understand why Nintendo would go after this and more power to em, why is everyone cheering this though? Why do we care if people have hacked in the ability to use a different model? How on earth would playing as an octoling count as 'cheating' in a way that should perturb other members of the playerbase?

EDIT: Seriously, the vitriol directed in this thread at something that impacted other players in no way whatsoever is weird, unless this is actually screwing with the game somehow.
This may be a mild case, but you have to take a zero tolerance approach with this shit.

If you wanna hack your Switch (or any other console), more power to you, I respect the scene and the hustle, but you don't get to play in my playground.

OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I understand why Nintendo would go after this and more power to em, why is everyone cheering this though? Why do we care if people have hacked in the ability to use a different model? How on earth would playing as an octoling count as 'cheating' in a way that should perturb other members of the playerbase?

EDIT: Seriously, the vitriol directed in this thread at something that impacted other players in no way whatsoever is weird, unless this is actually screwing with the game somehow.
public execution display. nothing more, nothing less, why wait for a problem to wide spread and its know to actually hurt users in the past?

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
IT's the benignness of it though that makes this reaction weird. Yes, doing this makes sense. I understand Nintendo's reaction, I don't criticize it at all. But the delight people are showing in this thread at the punishment of other accounts seems weirdly toxic. I'm just surprised there's this much loathing for something so harmless.
I'm guessing people are just happy to see Nintendo actually do something about it, all their home consoles have been rife with hackers.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
They are basically playing with a different skin, but it hasn't been released yet.
Thank you. So, banning them from the game seems appropriate but a console ban feels a bit over the top. Though if they're doing it in this game they'd likely try again on another one.

If it doesn't effect other players, I tend towards leniency. Once it crosses that line, no remorse.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo decided shadowbanning they used in Smash WiiU and Splatoon 1 wasn't enough, so they decided to not show mercy this time.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. So, banning them from the game seems appropriate but a console ban feels a bit over the top. Though if they're doing it in this game they'd likely try again on another one.

If it doesn't effect other players, I tend towards leniency. Once it crosses that line, no remorse.
I mean basically if they already hacked the console, it's compromised through and through. Don't let them into the game they hacked. You don't break into a store to wear the clothes and expect to be let off with a small charge and you can go into the store again. You're gonna get banned from that store

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Hacking Octolings into Splatoon 1 literally crashed the game in the lobbies of players that those hacked characters appeared in. The game was not designed for Octolings to be playable and hacking Splatoon 2 to do the same before the Octo Expansion is out just runs the same risks. It's a pointless, selfish, idiotic means of playing an Octoling and the more of these hackers that get banned, the better. Every single one of them can get bent.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, ban them. No room for cheaters in online play. It's good to see Nintendo finally taking this seriously.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stinks since it's just cosmetic.

But it's like having a open target on your back by letting Nintendo know your console has been compromised.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind Splatoon has kind of a history of people hacking/cheating and getting away with it in the first game due to a combination of Nintendo seemingly not caring that much because the Wii U was in its last months of life and I think also people found a way to get around Nintendo's bans anyway. It's just nice to see that they're actually going to be super strict this time.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
People we're wondering what they were going to do about it, here you go.

Ban em outright from all online stuff, updates and everything. They knew exactly what they were doing.

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Play by the rules or don't play at all, that's how I look at it.
They know the risk they take and yet do so anyway.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
I don't buy the slippery slopeness of it. Making your character able to be an octoling seems to be in largely the same spirit as the mod community on PC, which is usually similarly benign and harmless. This isn't about cheaters, though. This isn't about banning people who hacked their game to gain a competitive advantage and/or disrupt others' play experience.

The difference is with PC, you are on an open platform often with official mod support. Here you know someone broke into a closed off systems to change things, without any way to say hey only pair me with legit users because it should be assumed everyone is legit. When code gets changed you never know what unintended effects it will have on yourself or other users, which could potentially lead to someone's game getting bricked. On PC if something bricks people with know how can usually fix it, here if someone's game gets bricked they are usually out of luck. The game will have official Octoling support in a month, so they could have waited like everyone else. Instead this is basically theft, so while it might come out as a bit hyperbolic in a few instances, I don't think anything being said is unreasonable.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why people think console bans are too harsh or leniency being a good method. Those people hacked their consoles and decided to take it a step further by hacking in DLC that hasn't yet been released. There is no line that should be drawn.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo needs to have 0 tolerance so console and account ban for any detected modding or custom firmware. Otherwise online cheating and piracy will get out of control. If you want custom firmware, simple solution is not to take your console online.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No mercy. Anyone who brings a hacked console online should get it at minimum disabled from ever using any online service again.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Nintendo needs to have 0 tolerance so console and account ban for any detected modding or custom firmware. Otherwise online cheating and piracy will get out of control. If you want custom firmware, simple solution is not to take your console online.
Especially if they are charging for access to it soon, I want some hardcore policing on cheaters and hackers.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I do like that ban message in the OP. It's just so very... Nintendo.

"Thank you for using Nintendo Switch."

Am I to read that sincerely or dripping with sarcasm? Probably sincerely, but there is room for the other interpretation...

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do like that ban message in the OP. It's just so very... Nintendo.

"Thank you for using Nintendo Switch."

Am I to read that sincerely or dripping with sarcasm? Probably sincerely, but there is room for the other interpretation...
It actually reads slightly dystopian future to me.

You have selected slow and horrible.

Maybe it's just a signature automatically placed on all outgoing emails from that account?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Emulation is fine, when done legally. Piracy and hacking/cheats to take advantage of others in online games should lead to a console ban.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
It actually reads slightly dystopian future to me.

You have selected slow and horrible.

Maybe it's just a signature automatically placed on all outgoing emails from that account?
Yeah, it's likely that all user facing messages start with "Thank you for using Nintendo Switch." since Nintendo, if nothing else, is polite like that. The content of the message can then change the tone of that drastically.

I am glad that Nintendo seems to be on top of things with this, though. It is impossible to stop all cheats and hacks, but if they want money for the online, they have to make a show of trying. And this right here is a good omen.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017

I'll be honest, I'm happy to see any kind of banning.

In my experience, which is probably pretty common, hackers just ruined online experiences for me. From immersion, to functionality, to gaining competitive edges, to even corrupting save data (out-right breaking it, to enhancing it to the point of not having fun with the game, forcing a restart).

Now, if it was agreed upon before the game starts (99% never the case), then fine, I can take precautions. But this is barely, hardly, even the case. Instead, the hacks are put in all behind the game/lobby/rooms back, just for them to find out later, pissing every one off in the process. Ultimately, it's a waste of everyone's time, except the hacker (mission accomplished).

People value things differently. If they want to play Splatoon 2 and splat squids, that's what they are expecting. If they see anything else other than a squid...what else is to come? We have many years to draw upon as to what a hacker can do to a game lobby, and I do not think people (ERA in this instance), or Nintendo, want to chance that. Too many bad memories to draw upon at this point.

OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Console ban seems ridiculous imo, surprised it's the most voted for option.
older consoles have proved that account banned can eventually be "fixed", Console banning is practically impossible as the ID is unique and burn into the machine, then compared to a finite numbe of IDS in Nintendo servers. so is not like they can find the seed and create an ID generator. even if they do the "new" ID wont be in Nintendo Database so will still be null

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got stuck in too many games in the first Splatoon against invincible super blasters that paint the whole map immediately. There were people on YouTube who would even brag about their cheating. Glad to see they're taking a harder stance in the new game.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Ban them online only.

Banning the console would hurt innocent people who end up buying banned consoles on pre-owned sales.

Pretty intriguing to see so many people saying to ban the console entirely.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ban em all. I haven't played Splatoon 2 before. Does the game have a well suited reporting feature?

OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Ban them online only.

Banning the console would hurt innocent people who end up buying banned consoles on pre-owned sales.

Pretty intriguing to see so many people saying to ban the console entirely.
dont by pre-owned consoles??? how big is that market anyway, I always thought rule of thumb is not buying second hand hardware cause defects/ banned/ stolen.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies since I don't know these terms very well, but what's the difference between a console ban and an online ban?